Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
H. Wood -- imitation Julie Hewett--what is the deal???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:54 am      Reply with quote
oh my!
The agency I sometimes work for just got in a ton of gratis from a company called H. Wood, that we are supposed to distribute to makeup artists. Our makeup artists all love JH products, so it was a REAL surprise when the H Wood products looked EXACTLY like JH's products. also, we didn't request them, which means that "H Wood" has our information and sent products without any inquiry. To make matters worse I and a few other JH fans have received press announcing the product launch in our personal email accounts!

this is crazy, what is going on here? Can a company so blatantly rip off another company's products?

I love JH and can tell you that H Wood is but a sad, desperate imitation! The products aren't nearly as nice, but they are the same colors, in the same exact packaging--only the fonts and names are different.

I'm going to inquire with them directly annd find out what is going on.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:01 am      Reply with quote
FYI, the deal is that it is indeed a poor imitation, and JH is taking legal action against them. As they should!!!

I have tried these products and they are terrible, please buy the originals!!!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
existential lady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the warning, Avalange!

Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
What's crazy is that both lines are repped by the same PR firm, Bella PR. I wonder how they'll handle that...
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting. I'd love to do a quality comparison for myself. I have two JH palettes and lippies and truly enjoy them. What is the price comparison between the two lines? I will assume this is to be the draw of one over the other.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:36 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Interesting. I'd love to do a quality comparison for myself. I have two JH palettes and lippies and truly enjoy them. What is the price comparison between the two lines? I will assume this is to be the draw of one over the other.

I have no idea about prices because the H Wood was sent over--probably by Bella PR!--as gratis, aka free!

Interesting, I might contact the PR firm today to see what's up.

I think every JH fan who has encountered H Wood's products is kind of appalled and put off by them... Including myself!

--avalange

Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
What about the Beautyfix program's Julie Hewett lipsticks?

I noticed they have weird names on their website,but it also says "Beautyfix exclusive".

I remember seeing this a few months ago.
It was one of the selections when I had signed up for Beautyfix.
did not order that though...I do not really use lipstick.

http://www.glow.com/product_Noir+Collection+Lipstick_23363.htm

• Oona Noir is a sheer shade of brick red
• Long-lasting
• Moisture-rich
• Richly pigmented
• Rosebud and camellia oils
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for info, avalange...

Never before heard of H Wood but did a very quick google, and the H Wood lippie packaging seems almost identical to Julie Hewett. Why would anyone do that? Don't the H Wood people have their own ideas?

On the H Wood website, the "lip shine tubes" (in similar gold packaging as JH) are listed at US16.
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
FYI, carmine (also known as cochineal) is red color produced by crushing some scale bugs (yes, you read right!), and extracting carminic acid out of them.

As a food dye it has been known to cause severe allergic reactions and anaphylactic shock in some people.

A request from the Center for Science in the Public Interest (article titled: "FDA Urged to Improve Labeling of or Ban Carmine Food Coloring" http://www.cspinet.org/new/200605011.html [1]) to require ingredient labels to explicitly state that carmine may cause severe allergic reactions and anaphylactic shock and that is derived from insects was declined by the FDA. Food industries were aggressively opposed to the idea of writing "insect based" on the label and they finally agreed to simply putting "carmine".

Moreover carmine has been found to be an irritant to skin and eyes.... With so many inert pigments and micas available, why would you want to put crushed insect juice on YOU? YUCK!!

This FYI for JH lovers - as this is one of the ingredients of Julie Hewett's lipsticks
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
Did you know that they put Carmine in drinks in Canada.
There is carmine in Fruitopia juice drinks-the red and purple one at least.

When I heard that I never bought those drinks.
(not that i bought them before exept once).
I usually just drink regular fresh juices.

A lot of candy also uses mineral picgment, artificial dyes and carmine also.

I am trying to avoid foods that contain those things.

you can find candy made with vegetable colour in europe more it seems.
(I have some natural fruit jelly candy and paid around $7 for a 600 gram box).

but for food anyways people want pretty colors in their ice cream and food.
I buy fruit sorbet from a store and they use no colors and half their ice creams are very light in color.
pineapple sorbet is while, lemon-white, watermelon-light pink,banana ice cream-beige and "boring looking".

if it was at the store banana ice cream is always bright yellow and fake looking.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:41 pm      Reply with quote
Carmine is found in many, many cosmetic brands--Jane Iredale, Bare Escentuals, Burts Bees, Aromaleigh and Lumiere--just to name a few. It's used because it's a natural ingredient, as opposed to the coal tar colors that are used in other cosmetics. Mica and iron oxides are fine for creating some kinds of mineral foundation, but not for true red and pink coloring needed for lipsticks and blushes.

Carmine is a problem for a rare few with sensitivities, vegans, those with religious dietary scruples like Jews and Muslims, and those who don't like the idea of using an insect derived product. Of course, silk powder is even creepier, if you think about it!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
lol, not a problem for me since I don't drink the commercial crappy juices full of sugar and color, nor do I eat candy or any premaid processed food.

yes I know about the cosmetics, hence I don't use these and check then ingredients while I am at it too.

Makeup - I use certified organic australian miessence or Dr. H....

Silk powder is actually beneficial for skin, and doesn't creep me out, but crushed insects - yuck!
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
It's funny what kinds of things bring out "yuck" reactions for different people. Years ago, my friends in Taiwan couldn't believe that we really drank animal milk products--yuck!!--and ate congealed, rotten animal milk--aka cheese!

More for me... Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
By the way, if Dr. H stands for Dr. Hauschka, their website says they include carmine in their eyeliner, eyeshadow, lip gloss, lipstick, and mascara.

It's really hard to avoid in cosmetics unless you are willing to use coal tar dyes.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:52 am      Reply with quote
this is what i use and it doesn't contain carmine...https://store.drhauschka.com/b2c/ecom/ecomEnduser/items/itemDetail.aspx?&page=&store=&itemNum=TFPL&siteId=1&bulkexists=0

why is it hard to avoid? you have lots of mica variations that can be used instead of carmine, the only thing is i believe mica is more expensive, perhaps that would be the reason.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:54 am      Reply with quote
I'm not sure whether mica is more expensive or not. But I think that mica doesn't come in a bright red color, which is needed for colors like red, purple, and pink. I suspect that's why so many of the Dr. H products include carmine--they seem to be products with those colors.

Perhaps their products with more orangy-rust colors are carmine free?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
No, they do come in red - colored mica is mica dyed with pigments like oxides and ultramarines, or in case of red - with red lakes
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
lol, not a problem for me since I don't drink the commercial crappy juices full of sugar and color, nor do I eat candy or any premaid processed food.

yes I know about the cosmetics, hence I don't use these and check then ingredients while I am at it too.

Makeup - I use certified organic australian miessence or Dr. H....

Silk powder is actually beneficial for skin, and doesn't creep me out, but crushed insects - yuck!

I was reading that Diane Von furstenburg? "DVF" for her clothing like she uses humanely processed silk-there is a special word for it, and she was talking about that one the shopping channel a long time ago,

and there are some explanations about how she and some of the designers get their materials.
I'm sure that does not apply to most silk clothing-but it was an interesting selling point of her line (too bad she is no longer on HSN Sad..she had very nice affordable items there).

It was something about letting the butterfiles or whatever hatch from the silk instead of throwing the whole insect nest or whatever into boiling water or chemicals..I remember that much.

I also find that funny that some Asians are repulsed by "fermented milk".

Some of the Asian foods I see are just so odd to me.

one of my friends he really likes the "1,000 year eggs"
it is a rgular egg exept they ferment it and burry it or something until it is fermented and black, then then package that as a delicacy and it is eaten as a snack or in Congee soups.

Some of the Northern Chinese food kind of scares me,
BBQ pidgeon, tripe soup, chicken feet.
I eat at this Northern Chinese restaurant near my house sometimes and some of the menu..is not for me I'll say.
But seems very popular with a lot of Asian people it seems.
-this restaurant they also call their Americanized dishes "Canadian chop suey menu",lol?? Rolling Eyes

I guess every culture has stuff they do not like that other people eat!

-if someone is so grossed out by cheese there is always nut and soy or rice cheeses that are ok.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |