Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Make-up brushes shedding?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
gloria777
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:53 am      Reply with quote
Hi All,
I purchased some MAC makeup brushes around 6 months ago, due to all the rave about Mac brushes. Why do they shed so much if they are suppose to be so great? After I apply my make-up, I have to spend another ten minutes picking off dark hairs that are stuck on my face. No more Mac brushes for me.
gloria777
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
So, does anyone know why my Mac brushes shed even after having them for 6 months? Thanks
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
Here is my guess: because MAC has let quality control go down the tubes lately. I bought one of their duo fibre brushes--the famous 187--and it shed like crazy, even after a number of washes. I ended up bringing it back to Nordstrom's where I demonstrated the problem. The SA was horrified and said I'd gotten a bad one, and it was replaced. Guess what? That one was no better. I tried a third one to no avail.

I know that a lot of people love them, so I assume that some of them are less sheddy. But it is at best a crap shoot.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Flitcraft, Yeah, I am no longer buying any of their brushes! I have the brush you mentioned, plus a few others, and they all shedd. It's so annoying to have to pick off the dark hairs that are on my face, and they itch if you don't see them. I purchased them at the same time. I still have my receipt, but it has been about 6 months. Thanks
Kasia1502

Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
After washing the brush put a bit of hair conditioner in it and rinse it well. It might help you to make them last a bit longer. It sounds weird but works on my brushes
eyebright
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
I don't have a MAC brush so I can't comment on it. Being an artist, I do know about brushes. If you wash your brushes, make sure to dry them hanging down and not resting on the handle. Water will loosen the glue that holds the bristles together. Tie a string around the handle and hang it.

Using a conditioner is also very good. Makes the brushes last longer.
gloria777
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
Kasia, Thanks for the conditioner trick! I will try that on my brushes!
gloria777
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
Eyebright, Thanks for the infor on drying my brushes! I do rest them on their handle. I will not do that anymore. Do you have any favorite brands of brushes that you use being an artist that you can recommend that do not shedd! Thanks
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
I've found that the Sephora pro stippling brush hasn't shed, nor has a Stila eyeshadow brush, or my Alima flattop buffing brush. My Jane Iredale handi brush-which I love otherwise--has taken to shedding recently, after having it for five years!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:05 am      Reply with quote
I have found this to be the case with most natural hair makeup brushes that I have bought - regardless of price.

I am now using Benefit synthetic brushes - and they are fantastic - no shedding at all.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:52 am      Reply with quote
I have some Trucco brand brushes if you can find them- have had them 5+ years and they have never shed.

Trucco is the makeup brand of Sebastian haircare.
Bought a few brushes at a salon that was high end.

Recently I also bought some brushes at a Doolar type store, not makeup brushes but some nylon paint brushes and they look just like the synthetic makeup brushes selling for $20 and more.

I bought a flat brush for some face powders, a tiny 1mm brush for liquid eyeliners (works great,wish i had bought 2..as i am always washing them now).

-those have never shed,are nylon bristles and I wash them in dish soap Smile

and recently got a small fan brush made of nylon (michels crafs should sell these also) and it is great for my darker mineral blushes and feels like a feather on your face.

one of my favorite brushes and was only $2

the nylon brushes I have the brand on them is Masterstroke..not sure what art supply stores have these.

I was going to get the smashbox arces eyeliner brush until I saw it at the store....so disapointed the line it makes is too thick and the brush flattens out weird after a few uses it seems.

Dior brushes might be good, I have a face powder brush from a few years ago-but it might not be a brush you can buy it has a metal handle (was given to me by a dior rep at a store a few years ago....)
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:58 am      Reply with quote
Sorry to double post, but just wondering what do you use to wash your makeup brushes.

I know you can get sprays to clean your brushes,but I just feel that with some of my makeup it really sticks to the bristles and I want them very clean.

I usually use antibacterial soap or dishsoap sometimes.

Also I lay my brushes flat to dry on some paper towels on a clean surface-has not ruined any brushes doing this in quite a few years.

also if in a rush I just use alcohol wipes on my eye liner brush as it always gets so dirty using mineral powder for blush and some "eyeliner sealant" liquid I have.
gloria777
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:48 am      Reply with quote
Ottawa, I have been using the Mac brush cleaner to clean my brushes that I bought when I purchased my brushes. I just ran out of the cleaner, and I lay my brushes flat with the brush area not touching anything. I just ordered some brush cleaner from Sephora that had a lot of great reviews, so I will try that what I get it. Thanks
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:41 am      Reply with quote
I just use shampoo and rinse well. Also, I dry my brushes with the brush end angling downward--that way water doesn't seep into the ferrule and weaken the glue.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
flitcraft wrote:
I just use shampoo and rinse well. Also, I dry my brushes with the brush end angling downward--that way water doesn't seep into the ferrule and weaken the glue.

I also try and squeeze out the excess water with a paper towel or at least blot my brushes until dry.

I also have a fan in my room so if I have time or am in a rush I can always air dry them like that a bit.

I have not had the glue loosed on my brushes yet...I guess the "experts" would probably say I abuse my makeup brushes Laughing

I actually threw out 2 of my small makeup brushes last week-but these were the mini Kabuki you got with the BE mineral makeup sample.
My brush was ok, but was kind of losing it's shape and becoming a bit too "fluffy" for my taste..and the super short handle annoyed me too much to want to use that.
-those were free brushes though.

I now finally realize I do not like makeup brushes with such short handles and am using my blush brush to apply mineral makeup...I like that better as the bristles are softer too!
ereperez
5% products discount

Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:31 am      Reply with quote
There are many brush cleaners available. Two excellent brands worth mentioning are Masters Brush Cleaner & Preserver and "Pink Soap" Artist Brush Cleaner and Conditioner. They both clean and rinse out very well. Moreover, they help condition your makeup brush hair. They are available at any good art supply store.
mur
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
I think the big tip with shedding is just the old classic advice - save your natural hair brushes for powder products only and use only synthetic brushes for cream.

I know there has been a trend lately to use 109 for foundation and 224 for concealer. I also like using 224 for concealer sometimes but because both the 109 and the 224 are natural hair brushes, they will shed horribly when you use them with liquid/cream concealers and foundations. It's better to buy synthetic fluffy brushes and use those for those purposes instead.
AmazingLife
5% products discount

Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using the Rhassoul Cleansing Bar from NCN Skincare to clean my brushes. I keep the bar at the sink and simply wet my brush, swipe it over the bar a few times, rinse and dry. The cleansing bar is so effective I don't even have to repeat the cycle. I clean my "skunk" brush everyday and my other brushes usually once or twice a week.

Hope that helps!
Laurie
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
I have Chantecaille brushes & I find they shed also. Confused
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
In my experience, the only brushes that don't shed are the synthetic ones. I use Benefit brushes - and they're fantastic.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:24 am      Reply with quote
For synthetic brushes I like the Masterstroke paint brushes.

I bought mine at a "dollar" type store (paid $2 or $3 per brush) and they never shed.

I also went to sephora and they have synthetic brushes with the same yellow bristles and they were no better.

I have the Masterstroke fan brush for some blushes that are too dark, but the fan brush is not that good for face powder it it a bit too thin for my liking.
-it would be great for bronzer though.

Also have one of their brushes with a square brush head and it would be good for liquid makeup.
I have had these brushes 1+ years and wash w dish soap usually and they have never shed.

Michels crafts or an art shop should carry these.
or else Walmart has a craft section- so try these.

I have not tried Mac Brushes and was tempted to buy a holiday travel set, but the quality only looked ok.
Also I am looking for a fan brush or face powder brush only....have not seen anything that I really want though.
-well maybe the Smashbox one?

I also bought the Too Faced Flatbuki mini brush from EDS- I really like it and it has not shed. Also does not make my face itchy like my Quo fan brush I used to have.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:58 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |