Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Calcium supplements may increase heart attack risks
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
Thought I would share this.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2010/07/30/128871128/calcium-supplements-may-increase-heart-attack-risk

http://www.webmd.com/heart/news/20100729/study-calcium-may-increase-heart-attack-risk
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
In my latest readings... it seems that the biggest issue is that we don't have enough D. (MOST OF US), and the calcium/bone density prob might really stem from the inability to absorb calcium because of the lack of D. And then perhaps it's most reasonable to just take the D, and you'll actually absorb the calcium you need from the foods you eat, and don't need that supplement... I'm not 100% sure about this. But it is really seeming to add up.

The vitamin D council has lots of info....

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:56 pm      Reply with quote
Oh GREAT...yet another thing I try to do right (based on expert recommendations), and it may now be contributing to my inevitable death. Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:04 am      Reply with quote
The sooner we die, the sooner we won't have to worry about any of this stuff!

Honestly, it's getting so everything that we eat or take is actually killing us. It really gets on my nerves - which gives me stress - which is a killer!

But seriously, this story was on our TV news this morning - and I think the study was concerned with taking massive doses of Calcium - so it really shouldn't impact on us folk that just take the normal amount - that's what the newsreader said.

I do take a calcium supplement - but I'm not really convinced we need to take any of this stuff. I just think it's a giant money making business that we buy into just to hedge our bets.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:49 am      Reply with quote
In one of those articles that I linked to about, it also said D was being investigated separately for the heart attack risk issue. I always take these things with a grain of salt, as 1 day it is good for you, and the next week it will kill you! I think it is good to be aware of the study, though.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:38 am      Reply with quote
I read the bit on Vit D. If you are low on D. the 200iu's is basically nothing. I can see how it didn't contribute to results... I don't think it's enough to contribute to anything...

Yeah... grain of salt... Lately, I'm more about treating deficiencies. I just don't want to be spending $100's on pills... CRAZY!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:50 am      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Yeah... grain of salt... Lately, I'm more about treating deficiencies. I just don't want to be spending $100's on pills... CRAZY!

But how do you know what your deficiencies are?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:59 am      Reply with quote
Never take the stuff. Although I do take 1 multivitamin a day. Thats all. I would rather eat the foods that are rich in calcium instead of taking a pill.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:15 am      Reply with quote
SusieQ wrote:
Never take the stuff. Although I do take 1 multivitamin a day. Thats all. I would rather eat the foods that are rich in calcium instead of taking a pill.

I don't take any supplements other than Benefiber, though I am always on the lookout for a miracle skin pill! Laughing
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:38 am      Reply with quote
If anyone wants to read the complete journal article, it can be found here:

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/341/jul29_1/c3691

Note that this meta-analysis just looked at calcium supplements (500+ mg/day) without coadministered vitamin D; the Women’s Health Initiative has already found that calcium and vitamin D had no effect on the risk of coronary heart disease or stroke. Previous studies have shown that vitamin D deficiency is associated with increased risk of cardiovascular disease and vitamin D supplementation will decrease mortality. Be sure to read the Rapid Responses (comments from readers) included at the end of the article.

Rather than dismiss the findings, maybe what we should learn is calcium supplements should not be taken without Vitamin D, and the best sources of calcium should be from our diet (not supplements).

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
Lacy53 wrote:
Rather than dismiss the findings, maybe what we should learn is calcium supplements should not be taken without Vitamin D, and the best sources of calcium should be from our diet (not supplements).

Very good point Lacy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

Blood tests!

I tested VERY low on D.

Sometimes iron. Etc.

I also think it's best to get your supplements from food where they exist. (D, for example only comes in fortified items, and doesn't grow on a tree.)

It's worth a D test when you go to the Doc.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
If I start thinking about all the stuff they said is bad and now it's good or vise versa it stressing me out lol. *Thinking good thoughts*
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
ClaudiaFE wrote:

Keliu, I have TONS (about 20+ vials worth) of blood work run at least once a year (if not more), and the list of stuff I am deficient in is quite large...I actually maintain a spreadsheet for my doctor of all my scores across blood draws for the last 4 years. Rolling Eyes

Last time I was low in magnesium, CoQ10, iron, and other crap. I am typically extremely low in Vit D, and take a huge amount daily...I never miss that pill because the difference in energy is like night and day for me.

But I got tired of taking all those gazillion pills every day, and started using a high-nutrient protein powder designed for people with illnesses, bad nutrition, or screwed up bodies like mine. I have also been eating extremely well (as in healthy) for about the last 6 months, so I will be very interested to see how my next set of blood work comes back. I'll probably do it next week.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:55 am      Reply with quote
You know I have to say these kind of things I do think are scary when we first hear of them. I think they rarely (if ever) empower people in making positive steps in their health or life. This very subject was on the news yesterday in the UK and was saying that if you took calcium supplements you were more than 30% likely to have heart attacks etc. Talk about scaring people (cleverly the newsreader didn't mention strength but the professional who they cut to mentioned a strength which was so high, I'm not even sure the average person would think or be able to afford that kind of pricing to obtain it).

We need to shift our focus into working with the body and its resources rather than against it. If we look a little deeper we can see that calcium never works on its own. Its a great mineral but its also an electrolyte too and just like vitamins it works in a pairing. So Calcium for example works with Magnesium, Potassium and Sodium. If anyone of those ratios are out of whack, then the body will be out of balance no matter what and in this day and age our soils don't contain the same levels of magnesium that they did say 10,20 or even 30 years ago.

So if we expand a little further on this, with conditions like osteoporosis, particularly here in the UK women are given calcium (and usually chalk) medicine to deal with this (after all our doctors say its all about bones), its not taking into account the individual in question, nor their own body chemistry that’s taking place. So for example in this study, it doesn't mention if the people who undertook the study had good levels of the others, or were deficient in them etc. I find this extremely worrying and its not working with the body - its very much working against the body. Many times you find that someone suffering from osteoporosis's body isn't always lacking in calcium, but maybe magnesium or another mineral and so its ability to absorb and utilise calcium is hindered greatly. But here in the UK our doctors will automatically go to suggest calcium supplementation to someone suffering with osteoporosis and this may work fine for a person for a short time, and then they will usually find symptons worsening after a time, so the doctor ups the calcium levels in the medication and the downward spiral begins. Its so difficult to try and label one thing as the primary cause because in essence our bodies are made up of so many different systems (and there's probably a lot more that we haven't discovered or labelled), such as the endocrine glands (think hormones), the nervous system, the digestive system, our lymphatic system, our circulation systems and even our skeletal system. To say that our skeletal system is suffering purely because of supplementation isn't going to be conclusive to everyone who suffers from any issues with their skeletal bones, as it may be their diet, or any other system which has been challenged or impeded somewhat.

This is why when it comes to supplementation I truly believe getting blood work done is so important because it really shows whats lacking in the body or is in high levels. Sorry to go into a long winded paragraph but this kind of thing really annoys me and simply panics people and turns them away from what could be a very powerful and helpful tool to our bodies if used correctly.

Whine over!!

Sean

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:24 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

But I got tired of taking all those gazillion pills every day, and started using a high-nutrient protein powder designed for people with illnesses, bad nutrition, or screwed up bodies like mine.

I regularly take a protein powder suppliment, and am curious as to which powder you are taking - please do let us know how your results fare in your next series of tests!
Cheers
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:03 am      Reply with quote
myamax wrote:
bethany wrote:

But I got tired of taking all those gazillion pills every day, and started using a high-nutrient protein powder designed for people with illnesses, bad nutrition, or screwed up bodies like mine.

I regularly take a protein powder suppliment, and am curious as to which powder you are taking - please do let us know how your results fare in your next series of tests!
Cheers

Will do...I am going to go Monday I think.

Here is the protein powder I take that was developed by "a leading integrative physician, two naturopaths, a Ph.D. biochemist, and our CEO" of the supplement company. I actually really like it, but I do mix the vanilla flavor with my green drink.
http://store.ourhealthcoop.com/product_p/chv2.htm

The story about how this concoction came to be:
http://ourhealthcoop.com/newsletter/article_story_constant_health.htm

A white paper on cellular nutrition and the ingredients within the protein powder:
http://www.ourhealthcoop.com/constant_health_whitepaper.pdf

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:21 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Keliu wrote:

ClaudiaFE wrote
Quote:

Blood tests!

I tested VERY low on D.

Sometimes iron. Etc.

I also think it's best to get your supplements from food where they exist. (D, for example only comes in fortified items, and doesn't grow on a tree.)

It's worth a D test when you go to the Doc.

Totally good answer. ClaudiaFE

I live in Australia up in the mountains and apparently a large percentage of the people up here have Vit D deficiency, myself and my Mum included!!
Being a vegetarian for many years I also get bloodwork done every year and get my doctor to print it out for me and then I compare my results from year to year. Vit D, Iron, B12 and my bilirubin seem to be out of wack. So although I eat an incredibly healthy diet filled with whole foods and many fruits and vegies, it is just so hard to eat enough sometimes to get adequate amounts of everything. That's why a blood test is so useful.

Quote:
In one of those articles that I linked to about, it also said D was being investigated separately for the heart attack risk issue. I always take these things with a grain of salt, as 1 day it is good for you, and the next week it will kill you! I think it is good to be aware of the study, though.

This is so true Rileygirl. Wow, kind of freaks me out a bit though seeing my Dad and Grandad both died of a heart attack (so in the family) and my doctor had me on 3 x 1000iu tabs a day for a month to get my levels up!

Quote:
Keliu, I have TONS (about 20+ vials worth) of blood work run at least once a year (if not more),

Wow, Bethany, myself being a vegetarian and having a physical illness which is defined by debilitatingly low levels of energy, I'd be so sick and spaced out if I had to give that much blood up. You are such a trooper!!

Female, 37, brunette, Fair/medium Skin. European background. Combination skin, that becomes sensitive & reactive when emotionaly & physically stressed & also reacts terribly to heat and wind. Plant your own garden, decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to send you flowers. Smile
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
I think it's worth noting though that previous studies that studied giving both calcium and vitamin D together found no increase in mortality Smile

So not everything is lost!

I take 1000 UI/day of Vitamin D and so far (keeping fingers crossed!) my levels are OK, along with B12, Folate and Iron.

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
packratmack
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:19 pm      Reply with quote
Dr. Oz covered this topic on his show yesterday. He said he still recommends calcium supplements. He just said to make sure to take it with magnesium and vitamin D. He gave this ratio: 1000 mg Calcium, 500 mg magnesium, and 400 i.u. Vitamin D. He had other doctors on the show with him who said if you have a history of heart attacks in your family you should definitely check with your doctor and make sure this is right for you. If you have osteoporosis in your family the benefits probably outweigh the risks. Of course this is common sense. I know he is not the ultimate authority on this subject but, I just thought you might like this information.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |