Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Help with natural FACIAL OIL recipe, please?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
MissCleopatra
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
I'm trying to wean myself onto homemade natural skincare, and my next job is to make a facial oil cocktail to moisturise & treat my skin.

My skintype:
I have combination, slightly clog-prone skin with large pores. I used to be oily, but since i hit my 30s my skin has become dehydrated and dryer/tighter, despite my still having some surface oil & blocked pores.
Anti-ageing is a huge concern of mine now, as visible ageing effects have starting to show in my facial skin. I have fine lines, deep naso-labial creases, a slacker appearance to my skin, large pores & a grey/dull complexion.

What i would like from my homemade facial oil cocktail:
I'd like to balance my combination, dehydrated skin, perhaps help prevent pore blockages & large pores (not as important as anti-ageing benefits though, if i cant treat everything at once!) and i'd like to encourage my skin to rid itself of toxins properly for a brighter, 'healthier' face that doesnt look so grey, dull & unhealthy.
I'd like to soften fine lines/wrinkles if possible and, if not, help prevent or delay new ones.
I'd like to nourish my skin, help it to look younger, fresher, more radiant, healthier... 'glowier'!

So far, for my homemade facial oil recipe, i have ordered:

Hazelnut Oil,
GrapeSeed Oil,
Hemp Oil,
Emu Oil,

Frankincense EO,
Lemongrass Essential Oil,
Tea-Tree EO,
Rosemary EO,
Carrot Seed EO,
Ylang-Ylang EO,
Sweet Orange EO,
Geranium EO,
Lavender EO.

** Have i missed any ingredients that could benefit my skin? **

I know i've chosen a lot but i really want to cover all bases and have a broad range of nutrients & properties etc in my facial oil, to address all my skin needs.

If anyone can suggest any other ingredients i could add that would be of benefit? ..

Any suggestions and advice is warmly welcomed. Thanks so much. xxx
MissCleopatra
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
.... Would Cranberry Seed Oil be a good extra ingredient for anti-ageing etc for my skin? Or has Cranberry Oil's properties already been added to my oil recipe from the oils i've already ordered?

I'm guessing there's no point in duplicating the same properties (like vit E for instance) if its already present in another ingredient in my homemeade oil?

But i dont know which properties im missing, and which ingredients would provide them.

I'd be so so grateful for any help or advice you can offer.
The poor condition and premature ageing of my skin is upsetting me so much. xxxx
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
Have you looked at the Vitamin C serum for DIY'ers thread?

I like your oils, as I use the same or similar.

For face I started with Hazelnut and Hemp oil with Frankincense and Myrrh EO's with vitamin E and Vitamin A.

For eyes was Hemp and grape seed oil with same additions.

Now...I use a vitamin C serum under sunscreen in the AM...and use OCM in the evening with an ACV toner at 50/50 H2O with tea tree oil, Eucalyptus blue gum, juniper berry and cajeput EO's.

The OCM has gotten rid of pimples and blackheads, don't generally have a problem with that, but the few that were there =gone now.

My skin has lost the fine lines that were forming along the forehead and the crows feet are very faint and only pop up when I smile.

Cruise the forum for the recipes, there is a wealth of information here that works better than what you buy in the store. It's a ton of fun making your own stuff.
MissCleopatra
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:09 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much DragoN for your reply, i cant tell you how much i appreciate your input.

I'm soooo pleased that i've chosen some good oils. Yay! ... I do have a couple more questions though...

You mention adding vitamin A & E to your facial oil - i've ordered vit E oil, no problem, but i just wondered where you get the vitamin A from? Is it a pure vitamin A oil? Or is it another ingredient that contains vit A that i dont know about?

Also, your OCM... which products do you use for this? Is it Castor Oil mixed with sunflower oil? And in what proportions?

Plus the essential oils you mentioned (eucalyptus etc), are these added to your OC or the ACV/H20? - and do you just splash your face with the diluted ACV after rinsing off the OC?
I also wondered what made you choose the Juniper, Cajeput & Eucalyptus EOs for your cleansing? - i'm presuming they're purgative EOs to support cleansing, rather than anti-ageing etc?

As i have oily-dry combo, clog-prone skin with the odd pimple, im scared that the OCM wont clean my skin properly - does the OC wash off thoroughly after cleansing?

Sorry for all the questions! This is all super new to me and as my skin is fairly reactive i really dont want to make any silly mistakes that would actually make my skin worse rather than better!

*hugs!*
Marie xxxxx
MissCleopatra
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
Im a little bit concerned that iv only received 1 reply after 2 days (thanks DragoN, i appreciated your kind input).

The reason i joined this forum was because most of the posts seemed to have loads of great indepth replies from what seemed a huge amount of knowledgable members.... so im really disappointed nobody else has left any feedback to my thread whatsoever. Sad

As this was my 1st post/thread i just wondered if id done something wrong? .. have i asked stupid questions or made a forum faux-pas of some kind?

I really want to fit in well here whilst gaining knowledge about natural, DIY beauty treatments, of which i know nothing about. But if noone will answer my queries how can i learn or get to know people here?
Any feedback would be hugely appreciated. xxx
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
MissCleopatra,

No faux paus...the forum is just a little slow right now probably because it is summer.

I have not tried any essential oils in my serums, but I can really vouch for avocado oil as a good base. I've tried tried others (olive, jojoba, grapeseed) and they just can not compare to the results I have seen with avocado. Also, Skin Actives ELS serum makes a great base to add in essential oils.

If you are interested in DIY, I would also look at the Garden of Wisdom web site. Look at ingredient lists for some of their serums.. and you can get a feel about what works well together.

I have been reading this forum for the past year and I can also say that most people find that they key components to a routine are: Vitamin C, Retin A and Sunscreen.

I hope this helps.

...AND WELCOME TO EDS! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
MissCleopatra,
Laughing I would love to have dozens of answers to whatever my question in just one day!
As regard to your oils, I think they are good, only if you have a combination area the Jojoba oil is great in regulating the oil, maybe only apply it on the area where you may be prone to blackheads to prevent them, it nourishes at the same time as it regulates the oily skin..
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hello and Welcome MC!!!! Very Happy

I also suggest that you read through a few threads don't you just love me right now???
Bad Grin
First is the wonderful recipe index that has many many recipes for oil combinations contributed by many members. Smile

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

And the OCM thread, so much info and what works and not for everyone that uses this method of cleansing.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=7077

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:08 am      Reply with quote
I am new here too MissCleopatra and started playing with serums and lotions a couple months ago myself. Since then...my house has blossomed into a DIY maelstrom of lord knows what will explode and beakers and graduated cylinders and you name it, I got it. Laughing Nutz I tell you!!

And fun. Very Happy

I will try to answer your questions from my own experience.

You mention adding vitamin A & E to your facial oil - i've ordered vit E oil, no problem, but i just wondered where you get the vitamin A from? Is it a pure vitamin A oil? Or is it another ingredient that contains vit A that i dont know about?
Mine is "pure" as far as I can tell...oil based. So...I can't be 100% sure. And it's all in Chinese. My face hasn't fallen off, so I figure it's safe. Vitamin A palmitate...essentially useless to me, but I toss it in for the heck of it.

Also, your OCM... which products do you use for this? Is it Castor Oil mixed with sunflower oil? And in what proportions?
Mine is 50/50 Castor Oil and Extra virgin olive oil with Juniper. Eucalyptus, Tea tree oil and Cajeput oils for their bacterial fighting properties. I use the same in my toner which is 50/50 ACV and H2O. Feels really good. Gets rid of any oils that I may have missed with the hot towels.

Sometimes I throw in a couple squirts of hemp seed oil with the OCM, separate bottle kept in the fridge as Hemp has a short shelf life.
Plus the essential oils you mentioned (eucalyptus etc), are these added to your OC or the ACV/H20? - and do you just splash your face with the diluted ACV after rinsing off the OC?
I also wondered what made you choose the Juniper, Cajeput & Eucalyptus EOs for your cleansing? - i'm presuming they're purgative EOs to support cleansing, rather than anti-ageing etc?

For cleansing.

As i have oily-dry combo, clog-prone skin with the odd pimple, im scared that the OCM wont clean my skin properly - does the OC wash off thoroughly after cleansing?

Toner gets rid of anything I may have missed. My skin hasn't looked so good in a while and others have noticed it. Have another lady right now doing the OCM and I mixed up the whole lot of goodies for her and gave her the bunch. She is currently in day 2-3 and is having things coming out that she wasn't expecting....but she will persevere I hope. Also did up the Vit C serum that Kassy put together and the changes she helped me with and gave her that as well...so far so good. No body complaining about it and I feel and see the difference in my skin. Another lady has been bugging me to make the Vit C for her too.... Shock So...that's next on the list.

Currently I am waiting to get my paws on SKB...and then...we shall see what I can cobble together. I am told it's good for the head fur. And...I would LOVE to have a massive mane...okay...a bit more than what I have now as it's down to the small of my back as it is.

I believe I am getting silly having turned 40...but what the heck.. Wink

As Dark Moon suggested, read through the threads here, there is tons of information. Great recipes to try and they won't cost an arm and a leg.

Has anybody done this?

Castor Oil with Rosemary EO and Clary Sage EO, rubbed into the scalp and slept in over night?

Have been doing this for the last two months and I can tell you...my hairline is filling in I'm not going bald...but it wasn't what it should have been!

Also, ACV spritzed into the hair after showering..I no longer need any of those detangling silicone crap products. Freedom!!!
have several bottles of the stuff now languishing away being wasted
*sigh*
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
MissCleopatra wrote:

My skintype:
I have combination, slightly clog-prone skin with large pores. I used to be oily, but since i hit my 30s my skin has become dehydrated and dryer/tighter, despite my still having some surface oil & blocked pores.
Anti-ageing is a huge concern of mine now, as visible ageing effects have starting to show in my facial skin. I have fine lines, deep naso-labial creases, a slacker appearance to my skin, large pores & a grey/dull complexion.

I'd like to nourish my skin, help it to look younger, fresher, more radiant, healthier... 'glowier'!

Welcome to the forum Miss Cleo!

In addition to the great advice you've received so far, I'd just add the following;

Jojoba Oil would be a great carrier oil for you because it will regulate + normalize the oil you produce. It's quite magical in that it's so close to our own sebum, that the skin cells actually recognize it as such, and will produce less. It helps a dryer skin by drinking in just what's needed. Lovely stuff!

Macadamia Oil is light and pleasant to use, penetrates quickly and thoroughly, and is very nourishing for our skin.

Grapeseed Oil does likewise.

Virgin Palm Oil will cover your vitamin A + E requirements like no other oil that I'm aware of. (It contains all components of tocopherol and carotene's..) The down side is that in it's pure unadulterated form (which is what you want), it's quite orange and fairly unpleasant aesthetically. Well worth it though!

Vitamin C Serum will help you brighten up the "dull/gray complexion".

And regular use of an Alpha Hydroxy and or Lactic Acid product, in addition to gentle exfoliation with a microfiber cloth, will also help you to get rid of the dead cells that are know doubt the culprit in your situation.

I don't know much about "essential oils" because personally I only use a drop or two occasionally to scent a product. What I do know is less is more with their use. Darkmoon is your girl for EO advice for sure.

I'd also encourage you to have a look at this thread on "Professional High Frequency Devices".

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=38630

Many members are extremely happy with the toning, clarifying and brightening effects they are seeing.

(You will really be a member of the EDS gang once you get a gadget (or 12) under your belt... Bad Grin )

Again, welcome to the forum Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
MissCleopatra
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:28 am      Reply with quote
OMG!I'm so sorry for being impatient.. you've all given me so much helpful information and advice now.. i really appreciate it so so much! I *knew* this forum would have a wonderfully knowledgable community. Thanks for having me!

Kassy:
Oooh i LOVE the sound of Virgin Palm Oil - so i dont need to add *any* VitA or VitE to any recipes i use the Palm Oil in? Theres really a high enough amount of each in the oil?
I'm definitely going to give this a try, it sounds wonderful.

Jojoba Oil certainly sounds like something i need to order too!

It would be wonderful to make my own VitC Serum. I've only ever tried Avalon Organics Vit C Serum, and i believe that's not made wioth the more potent LAA - i'll check out some recipes here and hopefully find somewhere in England that i can purchase the necessary ingredients...
... (Can anyone recommend any British online ingredient suppliers please? I'll really struggle to afford international postage ontop of the cost of ingredients).

I already use BHA & AHA - my skin adores them and without them i break out like crazy very quickly. At the moment im using Paula's Choice for the Salicylic Acid BHA and Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Cream for the Glycolic Acid AHA... but if there is a cheaper and/or more effective BHA/AHA product i could make *myself* i would looove to know about it! Can anyone advise me of any way to homemake AHA/BHA products please? (for anti-ageing, smoothing skin and removing/preventing clogs).

DragoN:
Wow you must have so much fun trying out all your own beauty recipes. I dont have many of the necessary ingredients yet, and will take me a while to be able to afford them all gradually, so im chomping at the bit to be able to sample such joys myself!

Thanks for all your detailed answers, they really clarified my queries perfectly.

May i ask, what is SKB?

And which recipe do use for your Vit C Serum?

Sorry to keep throwing so many questions at you! You're a huge help. x

DarkMoon:
I'm going to check out the links you kindly directed me to. I'm getting a bit lost in all the world of information here, so links to specific threads are really helpful for me until i find my way around better. Thanks so much.

ATester:
Jojoba Oil sounds lovely for my skintype - i'll certainly give it a go. Thankyou.

Erg:
I hadnt considered Avocado Oil, so i'll be sure to Gogle it an dtry to find some more info - thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I'll also check out SkinActives ELS Serum, but to be honest i was hoping to make my own products rather than buy them ready made... more of a price issue than anything (altho i will check to see if i can afford it. Thanks)

I did try Retin-A for a long while last year and my skin *hated* it! Gawd knows why! It dried out to drier than seriously-dry skin, flaked constantly so badly that i couldnt wear any makeup whatsoever, it burned like crazy even if i used the gentlest products made for seriously sensitve skins, and caused twice as many wrinkles as i had before i started using it. I was told to stick with the Tretinoin 0.025% i was using and that the nasty symptoms would past, but after 5 months of skin-hell i just couldnt take it anymore - i felt like i was doing myself serious damage, and it took a long while for my skin to recover (it now looks so much healthier, brighter & younger than when i used Retin-A, and my ultra-sensitivity etc has finally died down).
I dont know why i reacted to bad to Tretinoin.
Has anyone else had such awful results from Retin-A?

Thanks again to everyone for sharing your knowledge with me! xxx
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
but if there is a cheaper and/or more effective BHA/AHA product i could make *myself* i would looove to know about it! Can anyone advise me of any way to homemake AHA/BHA products please? (for anti-ageing, smoothing skin and removing/preventing clogs).

Aspirin Mask.

Crush a couple of UNcoated aspirins, add H2O, or Oil, or better yet, Milk. Mix into a fine paste and apply to your face. Then gently massage in. 10-20 minutes and leave it. Wash off. Little bit different for each mix I suppose. Play with it and see what works.

I like my mix as I can make a batch of it, and keep it in a jar till I want to use it. Add milk, mix , paint it on, let it dry....and take a shower.

I doctored it up with bentonite or Kaoolin clay, Frankincense,Myrrh and Sandalwood powders. Sometimes, leave out the aspirin and use activated charcoal. mix with milk for the lactic acid

40 grams clay of choice.
5 grams each of powders, mix well,
1-2 grams aspiring crushed into a powder and mixed with the above.

use:
1 tsp mask powder
10-15 mls milk...mix to make a nice paste and paint on cleansed face and neck with a brush.

If too runny...add more powder, it too thick add touch more milk. You will know what you need to make it stick.

Aspirin can do wonderful things for your skin, it's the salicylic acid that does the work. If my skin is looking poopy, reddish....it's not after using a mask. Very Happy

The clays are cheap here. Dirt cheap. The aspirin is the harder one to get, and more pricey...but still cheap compared to buying anything pre made in a store. Can't even find the kinds of things I would prefer to use here...so, make my own. I can get a pound of clays for a couple of bucks. Cheap. The powders here are also very cheap. Chinese medicine is popular so it's easy to get these.

Retin A, I have been using for ten years to control acne, since using the OCM, I haven't needed it. Shock I still use it though for the anti wrinkles aspect of it. There is too much science to back up the use of Retin A for me to stop now. Cream bases are more gentle on the skin than the gel...what were you using? There is another formulation, Isotrex which so far I have only been able to get in gel form. I prefer the cream myself.

SKB= Sea Kelp Bioferment, I have some coming so I will then make the Vit C serum that Kassy_A posted. The one I made with the changes is a beauty as well. Thank you Kassy for helping me out with that.

MC, it's a ton of fun. And better, it works.

I am just dying to try out the SKB, have read nothing but good things about it here on EDS. Ordered it form NCN, and like yourself, the shipping charges make me cringe. Also found a supplier here that sells it after I had already ordered it . So yay me...if it's not too over the top expensive direct from the supplier, that will make my day. Because if this stuff is as good as they say it is....I'm a gonna pickle myself in it. Laughing

And my hubby is going to shoot me... Bad Grin

Quote:
And which recipe do use for your Vit C Serum?

I used this one:
Kassy-A
15% VITAMIN C, E & FERULIC 1 oz./30 ml (with emulsifier 4-14-10)

What you need:

3 tsp Distilled H20 (warm, but not hot)
1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid (15%) is what you want. If you have the fine powder variety (and a gram scale), 4.5 grams is good. For the heavier crystals, just use 1 tsp.
1 tsp SKB (warm till liquidy, otherwise you’ll have little clumps of it)
1/2 tsp Macadamia Nut Oil (this enhances penetration, and isn’t at all greasy)
1/2 tsp Glycerin (nice humectant, gives a nice texture, and *helps* with emulsifying)
1/4 tsp Rosehip Oil (all the vitamin E you need is in this, and then some!)
1/8 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/2 tsp Vodka (you MUST use this to liquefy the FA)
0.6 ml/cc Polysorbate 80 (2%, this is the emulsifier)
3 drops of Optiphen (preservative)
0.3 ml/cc of Hyaluronic Acid ‘Serum’ (1%)

But somethings I didn't have so I did this:

3 tsp Distilled H20 (warm, but not hot)
1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid (15%)
1/4 tsp Hazelnut Nut Oil
1/8 tsp Glycerin
1/4 tsp Borage Oil
0.6 ml/cc Polysorbate 80
3 drops of Grapefruit seed extract (preservative)
1 tsp Aloe vera
0.3 ml/cc of Hyaluronic Acid ‘Serum’ (1%)
1/4 tsp Vit A
1/4 Tsp Vit E
1% Citric acid to adjust PH down to 2.8

It works.

Next batch....I will have the whole enchilada
Angel
MissCleopatra
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
Wow! What an amazing resource, and a wonderful recipe for the serum.

Im a little worried about the Polysorbate 80 and Optiphen - i never heard of either before and wouldnt have a clue where to get them from in England. Can i not leave those out?

I definitely need to get me some basic ingredients. I have the carrier oils and EOs but no actives at all and no powders either.
To be honest, i dont know where to start!
Which actives do you think are the most effective to start with, if you had to choose just a few? (for financial reasons).

Thanks so much for bringing me in on all this world of knowledge! xxxx
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
IF I could pick just two things... it would be vitamin C and a good oil. Read through the DIY Vitamin C thread - there are many DIY C serums that are much more simplified.

You want to make a serum with the right Ph.. and if you follow any one of Kassy's serums you will be safe. She has posted several different versions.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
My skin is not the same as yours (I have extremely fine textured porcelain skin that's prone to pigmentation but no oilyness). I went on the natural oil crusade a couple of years ago. I've been using completely homemade creams since and my skin has never looked better.

In the beginning I went out and bought every oil under the sun which took care of dryness, had max vitamins and antioxidants in it. I've used about 15 different oils in that time. Sometimes in combination and other times standalone.

What I discovered is that my skin really only finds positive results with a few key oils. The others just didn't do much for me at all. I suspect everyone is the same, olive may work great for some but does nothing for me. It's more a matter of finding out what works for your skin in particular.

I personally did not find any benefit from using EOs at all. So I pop a bit of geranium in for fragrance but that's pretty much it.

My advice is to start off slow. Don't spend a huge amount of money on lots of different ingredients. Instead buy a few oils and keep your formulations simple. You can tweak it from batch to batch. The more oils you put into a serum the less benefit you'll see from any one of them since the % of that oil will be low. Start off with a serum that has just 3 key oils in it and go from there. You'll also find each oil has a different feel and absorption rate and tweaking formula's is a matter of understanding each oil on it's own.

To start with I would choose one oil for it's emolliency and use it at about 20%, one oil for it's vitamin content and use it at 40-60% and one oil for its ability to penetrate the skin and encourage penetration of your other ingredients. Apricot kernel, sweet almond and jojoba are known for this and use that in the final percentage. From that base you can then ramp it up with additional actives.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
What oils are working well for you, NoMeNotYou?
SoCalGal
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
This is amazing stuff, ladies. When I am better able to stand on my feet for more than a minute, I'm going to try some of these recipes. I may try an aspirin and milk mask this weekend. I love salic. acid for the pore cleansing.

My one contribution is: be careful with microfiber cloths!!! I wiped my face with one of my brand new ones the other night and took skin off in 2 places!!!! Shock

They feel soft when you stroke them, but if you press a finger into one, you feel the hard, sharp bits underneath. Maybe I'm just a knucklehead (it's been suggested before), but I just had to share.
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:33 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
What oils are working well for you, NoMeNotYou?

My big three are...

Avocado Oil - my emollient oil. It tends to make creams and serums hydrating and creamy feeling. It's also high in vitamins. A little goes a long way so I use it up to 10% in formulations.

Rosehip Oil - my general nutritive oil. Quick to absorb and non-oily but you can clearly feel the high fatty acid content as it leaves a somewhat waxy feel to the skin. My skin needs all the protection it can get so I don't mind this. Lots of Vitamin A & C help to even out my skin tone which can get pigmented even with a good sunscreen. The heat alone tends to bring out the pigmentation in me. It does however make a fairly stiff and dry feeling cream if used in emulsion as the only oil. Although in serums it's fine to use up to 100%. I tend to use it 30% to 50% of formulations.

I know people don't recommend this oil for someone with acne but actually someone I know who has cystic acne started using this oil after she found out I used it on my skin. And her skin is now very clear and beautiful. I don't know if she's using it in conjunction with something else though. She just mentioned she uses it, when I asked.

Apricot Kernel Oil - my transporter oil. It seems to work better on my skin than sweet almond even though I'm given to understand that chemically the two are essentially identical. Guess I can't explain that. This is the oil to use to bulk out or thin a cream or serum and it does add good slip and a lightness to creams which the other two don't provide. It also provides good absorption rate so if your heavier oils are leaving the skin feeling oily then thinning down with this will help. My serum made with these three oils has almost instant absorption into the skin.

A very nice body lotion can made with water, apricot kernel oil and e-wax. It's light and has the same characteristics as store bought body lotions in feel and moisturising. A good base to add lots of actives to.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
MissCleopatra wrote:
Wow! What an amazing resource, and a wonderful recipe for the serum.

Im a little worried about the Polysorbate 80 and Optiphen - i never heard of either before and wouldnt have a clue where to get them from in England. Can i not leave those out?

I definitely need to get me some basic ingredients. I have the carrier oils and EOs but no actives at all and no powders either.
To be honest, i dont know where to start!
Which actives do you think are the most effective to start with, if you had to choose just a few? (for financial reasons).

Thanks so much for bringing me in on all this
world of knowledge! xxxx

MissCleopatra,

Here is some info on the Optiphen,

A new paraben and formaldehyde free synthetic preservative consisting of phenoxyethanol in an emolient base - it provides protection from bacteria and yeast while boosting the feel of the end product.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |