Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Overwelmed with info - don't know which way to go!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SallySloan

Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a 47 year old, very fair skinned woman. Here's the deal: fine lines around the eyes, deepening smile lines around the mouth, marionette creases, pores getting larger, and what's up with the broken blood vessels all over my face lately? Yikes!!
I know I'm getting older but, is there a recipe for recovery?
Thanks for your time
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
Go for the tried and true. A retinoid at night and a good sunscreen during the day. That will help more than anything else out there. You can throw in some antioxidants during the day, but this will be more for prevention. The broken caps unfortunately can only be taken care of by a procedure but there are oils that can diminish the redness of them.
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:31 am      Reply with quote
The problem with using retinoids is they can make the capillaries appear worse, though of course they will help with the other problems.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:57 am      Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
The problem with using retinoids is they can make the capillaries appear worse, though of course they will help with the other problems.

Yep, I agree.
SallySloan

Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:10 am      Reply with quote
I really appreciate your help. Any product recomendations? What about Jan Marini? What about making my own vitamin C serums? Eye creams? I'm a single mom (not much money), but I've always made my skin care a priority. I will invest in a product that really works, but money is an issue.
Thanks again.
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:02 am      Reply with quote
Sally, i don't personally use vit. c serum for various reasons, but a lot of forum posters really like Kassy's diy vit c serum recipes(look in the diy skin care forum )

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:12 am      Reply with quote
Also, i'm 'miss natural' so would recommend... before you try retinoids and imo, before trying c serums too...which can also be very potentially irritating..to try organic rosehip oil (perhaps experimenting w/ skin rejuvenating essential oils(eo's) for your skin type....check out ananda apothecary online...you can ask lots of question about eo's..and they have some inexpensive but very potent ready made serums ther too)

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:57 am      Reply with quote
(I got pulled away from the computer for a while...but wanted to add) that as you study this forum( perhaps with some successful and unsucessful experimentation) you'll find your 'niche'in terms of your own orientation toward skincare.

also please take a look at threads about massage/acupressure/facial exercises....all of which (along with diet...and for some folks, gadets also) are important for anti-aging regimes

erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Sally,
I think Jasminerosey gave some great advice in the posts above. You will find your niche! When I first started getting serious about skincare I was overwhelmed because there were so many directions to go.
I am also on a budget and primarily rely on DIY potions.

I like Tetra C mixed with oils at night and a good mix of antioxidants during the day. All of these are used with natural oils, ingredients. I have also found some good success with Renovage and Niacinamide (from lotion crafters).

Just go slow and try to add one new product/active every few weeks so you can see how your skin responds and see what REALLY is working.

Based on your original post, I would look at some type of facial exercise or Tanaka massage. I am trying to find the time to do these on a regular basis myself.

Have fun!
erg

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
Your skin seems to be dehydrated (lines and creases) and sensitive (broken capillaries). Use a non-drying cleanser and hydrate your skin well. A hydrating toner, followed by an anti-wrinkle serum and rich moisturiser. Throughout the skincare process, be very gentle to your skin. Do not rub, tug, pull. Caress it like you would a newborn infant's skin. Also up your nutrition input. Vitamin A & E caps, fish oil, grapeseed extract (watch that you are not allergic to this) will help.
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:18 am      Reply with quote
Sally...or anyone else reading this thread...

there are 2 schools of thought about handling our facial skin/tissues...the 'traditional' one is to handle so gentley ..no tugging, pulling, etc ..

the other is to massage the skin daily..including a conscious pulling and manipulation of the skin in order to increase collagen and strengthen the tissues of the face in general (also increasing circulation, etc.)which helps to prevent (even erase wrinkles)...take a look at the different facial exercise threads under the diy skincare forum here..especially Flex Effect thread and the Ageless if you Dare thread..and also the Tanaka massage thread.

jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:22 am      Reply with quote
Also the cupping and vaculifter threads (in the diy skincare forum)....REMEMBERING OF COURSE THAT EVERYONE'S SKIN RESPONDS DIFFERENTLY

always best to begin a program of facial manipulation/massage/vaculifting gently at first to strengthen in increments the facial tissues....

SallySloan

Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using Roc Deep Wrinkle Serum on my forehead at night, it seems like after a couple of months of using it, the skin looks thinner, with more lines then when I started. Does this mean retinols are not for me?
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
what afre the other ingredients in the serum...what % is retinol...it could be aa variety of things accountable for the thinning and wrinkling (perhaps it is the retinol, perhaps the % of retinol, perhaps the other ingredients, additives,ph, etc)

rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
SallySloan wrote:
I've been using Roc Deep Wrinkle Serum on my forehead at night, it seems like after a couple of months of using it, the skin looks thinner, with more lines then when I started. Does this mean retinols are not for me?

It usually means your skin is not accustomed to them and you need to start slow and build up. Even OTC retinols can be drying to some people. I would say to use it only twice a week for a while, and then up to 3 nights a week, etc. Just build up slowly to nightly use. Also, make sure you are using a good quality sunscreen during the day. Do you use a moisturizer after applying the ROC?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
SallySloan wrote:
I'm a 47 year old, very fair skinned woman. Here's the deal: fine lines around the eyes, deepening smile lines around the mouth, marionette creases, pores getting larger, and what's up with the broken blood vessels all over my face lately? Yikes!!
I know I'm getting older but, is there a recipe for recovery?
Thanks for your time

A nice glass is merlot is the "recipe" that makes all those woes easier to deal with

And of course the great advice you've heard so far.

Cheers and welcome Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
SallySloan

Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
Wow - thanks everyone for your responses!
I haven't been using a quality sunscreen - I mostly wear a hat while outside - so my face is covered. Can anyone recommend some quality sunscreen - there seems to be so much junk full of toxins on the market.
As far as building up a tolerance to the retinol - the weird thing is that for about a month, my skin seems great, no irritation or side effects. After a month and a half, the skin seems thinner and lined. Wacky. I have been putting on a moisturizer on after applying the Roc. Maybe the product isn't for me. I am interested in retinols - I guess I should try the do-it-yourself serum recipes from the forums.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |