Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Would nonchemical sunscreen cause this reaction?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
I switched from Neutrogena Dry Touch sunscreen, which I'd used for a couple of years with no problem, to Blue Lizard Sensitive sunscreen from Australia. It has Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide as the main ingredients. I've been using it about a month. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I've noticed that the skin on my neck is rough and reddish, though not excessively so, and has developed lines. My forearm skin seems a bit drier and papery and I've used the sunscreen there as well. My face doesn't seem to have been affected but it is oilier than my neck so the skin is thicker.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe it is an ingredient in the Blue Lizard other than the zinc/titanium that doesn't agree with your skin?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
I have noticed that the physical sunscreens do seem to dry my skin out more than the chemical ones.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:20 am      Reply with quote
Physical sunscreens, particularly if they have a high percentage of titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide can be drying. You may need to use a moisturiser (or a more moisturising one if you already are) underneath it.

Just for your information, Blue Lizard sunscreens are not from Australia, the company isn't Australian (it's a US company) and they aren't (or at least weren't a couple of years back) heard of in Australia. The "Australian Sunscreen" that they claim is all marketing!
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:19 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Bethany and Josh. I love the idea of physical sunscreens but they are very, very drying and I have sensitive skin to boot. I'm thinking of ditching the physical and going back to chemical. I don't like making my skin any drier then it already is.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Good to know. I've never read that anywhere. I guess it's back to Neutrogena for my face and neck and I'll just use up the Blue Lizard on my body.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:54 pm      Reply with quote
If it's true that some people's skin does not react well to zinc oxide based sunscreens, that's really terrible and unfortunate for you. I guess it's hard for me to understand that because my skin loves zinc oxide based sunscreen. If I use a good zinc oxide based sunscreen, that's actually enough to keep it healthy.

I originally set out searching for physical sunscreens because I couldn't tolerate chemical sunscreens. My skin would burn (no pun intended or sun necessary- it would get red and irritated and sensitive and it was pretty awful). [this wouldn't happen every time, but often enough to make me wary of chemical sunscreens] Zinc oxide based sunscreens made everything awesome.

Now I get to call my skin healthy and normal instead of sensitive or whatever else because I don't use anything that would irritate or sensitize my skin. I honestly don't know how or why anyone would react badly to zinc oxide because this is what we use to calm a baby's skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
Also, half the time I hear people complaining that they dislike physical sunscreens because they're too greasy, and the other half of the time they're disliked because they're too drying. So which is it? Since these are completely opposite reports, surely it's not every physical sunscreen that's both too rich and too drying?

So the people complaining of dryness should just swap products with the people complainging of greasiness! There are zinc oxide sunscreens at every point of the dryness/greasiness spectrum so surely there will be a sunscreen that fits your skin's needs.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:55 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue, the manufacturers often (but not always) use lots of emollients in their formulas to try and counter any dryness. Sometimes this works, other times it doesn't. If the emollients are sitting on the surface and are not good moisturisers for the individual's skin (remember what works for some doesn't for others) the product could very well be drying to the skin but make the skin appear greasy.

If I wear a sunscreen containing zinc oxide and I get warm, whether it be from being in the sun or just from more physical activity, my skin actually itches quite badly and turns red. This doesn't happen with titanium dioxide (which often has it's own set of problems) or even chemical/organic filters (though these often cause me other forms of irritation too).

Sunscreens are really a very difficult product for many of us.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:05 am      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
Also, half the time I hear people complaining that they dislike physical sunscreens because they're too greasy

That has definitely been my experience with the majority of the physical sunscreens. They are usually greasy. I have never had an issue where the physical ones dried my skin out.

I think sunscreens are one of the hardest products to find for people. It is a very individual thing and you can spend a fortune trying different ones out until you find one that works for you.
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:59 am      Reply with quote
[quote="rileygirl"]
Nimue wrote:
...you can spend a fortune trying different ones out until you find one that works for you.

and then they reformulate it Rolling Eyes
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:33 am      Reply with quote
[quote="Josh"]
rileygirl wrote:
Nimue wrote:
...you can spend a fortune trying different ones out until you find one that works for you.

But of course, how else can they drive the happy campers absolutely batty?!? Shock Rolling Eyes Shock Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
Josh wrote:

But of course! Laughing
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
Actually, I am going to continue using Blue Lizard on my face,which is a bit oily, so it might counteract that. I'm also hoping it will act as a primer, because of the consistency. Only on my neck and forearm skin, which is a bit dry, will I switch to Neutrogena. I think the only time I noticed stinging from sunscreen was when I used Mexoryl (I think that was the brand) from Canada. It was too oily to use under makeup so I stopped.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Nimue wrote:
Also, half the time I hear people complaining that they dislike physical sunscreens because they're too greasy

That has definitely been my experience with the majority of the physical sunscreens. They are usually greasy. I have never had an issue where the physical ones dried my skin out.

I think sunscreens are one of the hardest products to find for people. It is a very individual thing and you can spend a fortune trying different ones out until you find one that works for you.

I thought Nia24 was greasy, yet other people said it was matte!

To Riley's point, it is a very individual thing.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:14 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |