Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I Can't Tonight I Have To Wash My Hair
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
secretly
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
Well after over 40 years of washing my hair every day I decided that since I'm not an oil slick anymore I would try washing it less often.

I guess I was really hung up and felt sort of gross not washing it everyday, BUT.......I now am going up to 4 days and I have to say my hair looks SO Much better, healthy and swingy. I really really love it, and it's really changed my life, no more everyday with the flat iron and all of that, yipppeeeeeeee

I decided too to grow it long, since I got my FL I think I can pull it off.....

Anyone else hung up on the every day wash? What say you???

Also side note: when I was in college in a physiology class my friend volunteered to have electrodes put on her legs, she REALLY needed a shave.....after being so embarrassed for her, yes I do shave my legs everyday, that's something that won't change.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
I shower daily, but only wash my hair every 3-4 days. And when I do "wash" it, I use conditioner instead of shampoo the majority of the time.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
YES, always washed my hair daily. When I was a child, I was only allowed to once a week. Then as a teen, my friends washed theirs daily, so I stared to also. I just did not feel clean unless I washed daily. Now, at 50, my hair is so dry. It is called processed vs virgin. I now wash every other day but still feel dirty on my off day, but love not having to style daily... The moroccan oil is a life saver for my dry hair.
Cheng
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
My hair is quite oily.
I must it once a day, otherwise, it will be terrible.
I try Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo once a week too to help remove my oil.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:36 am      Reply with quote
Shampoo companies have brainwashed people into washing everyday and lathering TWICE so they can sell more shampoo. I have combination skin and can go two or three days without shampooing. On the third day, sometimes I just thoroughly rinse my hair but don't shampoo since I live in a city with dirty air. The excess oil, mousse, and hairspray that builds up gives my thin, fine hair more body -- it's called "pageant hair" because that is a beauty pageant "secret."
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
I heard a lot about not washing your hair at all and how, after a while, it will just take care of itself. Confused
Sounds dodgy, though, doesn't it.
yofie
5% products discount

Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:40 am      Reply with quote
I don't wash my hair everyday, but i try to shower. I have very oily roots and sahara desert dry ends. It is a pain to have such complicated hair. I tend to let my hair go every other day without washing, longer on the weekends just so i don't completely strip it of essential oils.

I have heard a lot of people praise the no washing hair but don't know if I have the guts or the hair type to try it.

Do you just condition in the shower or do you literally not wash your hair?
azalea
5% products discount

Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:05 am      Reply with quote
I've gotten my hair to the point where I only wash it once a week by ditching the shampoo and using conditioner to "wash" my hair. My hair looks great days 1-4 and is a tad oily on days 5 and 6 but nothing unbearable. I do shampoo once every 4 or 5 weeks, to remove any build up from the conditioner.
misssalvina
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:06 am      Reply with quote
I only wash my hair once a week. I don't know if it's OK or not, but I mom teach me that it's not good to wash it every day. On day 6 my hir feels gross, but I usually put it in a pony tail and the next morning I wash it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:07 am      Reply with quote
WOW,,I have to wash my hair everyday then it will be disgusting and smelly. It will be itchy..how do you treat the smell??
Bermie
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:18 am      Reply with quote
I wash my hair probably every second day, sometimes I try to go three days if I am not going out anywhere. But I use shampoo but only shampoo once. I can't imagine not using shampoo, I have coloured hair but if I didn't shampoo it it would be very greasy at the roots. I love just washed hair, soft and shiny!
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:14 am      Reply with quote
I wash my hair daily. I have very thick dry wavy long blonde hair. I have recently tried to back off a bit, and not wash it on weekends (if I have no plans to go out and socialize on Sat. and Sun.).

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:23 am      Reply with quote
I used to wash my hair daily, too, but now it's every other day. I tried to go 3 days w/o but since I do cardio for an hour every day, my hair smells! I sweat a lot even on my head, and sweat drips on to my hair. If I don't shampoo, I still have to wash with water and add a little conditioner at the ends of my hair or it will dry up.
fairy_dreams
5% products discount

Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
I wash every other day and it works pretty well. I'd like to try and switch over to all natural shampoos though and see if I can go longer.

This summer, I was on a trail work crew and we did hard physical labor for 8 hours a day Smile No running water so I showered probably once a week! My hair stopped producing oil after a while (only the first week was gross!). So I suppose that less than regular washing is good for your hair.
azalea
5% products discount

Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:35 am      Reply with quote
azumma wrote:
WOW,,I have to wash my hair everyday then it will be disgusting and smelly. It will be itchy..how do you treat the smell??

There's no smell - at least none that I can tell and nor can my partner (and he would definitely let me know if my hair smelled bad!). I think the oils in the conditioner makes it so that my scalp doesn't produce as much oil naturally. ...which makes sense, bc if you're shampooing your hair everyday, you're likely stripping the oils away and your scalp has to produce more oil to compensate, so perhaps that's why it starts to smell?
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:06 am      Reply with quote
REally?? but mine smells bad when I don't do shampoo and conditioning everyday. Even though I do shampoo daily, the next day, I can smell..I don't know,, maybe you are right..I should do experiment on me. Very Happy
hyacynthgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:52 am      Reply with quote
The key, at least with my hair, is brushing it every day with a boar's hair brush. This distributes the oil that is being produced. I have always had normal hair, but a sort of "fatty" scalp – it doesn't look oily, but there is a smell. I think it's genetic. I'm predisposed to sebaceous cysts on my scalp – the bane of my existence! So I have to make sure my scalp is rinsed, and I have to brush. I have always gotten compliments on my hair, but even in high school I didn't wash it every day (though I felt like a freak!). My average now is once a week, and I want to start washing with baking soda and an acv rinse, (the "nopoo" method, Penta) but I'm dragging my feet with that. It seems involved and unpredictable. I used to do the acv rinse all the time as a teen – I think that probably is the cure for the greasy smell.
Azumma, have you tried apple cider vinegar rinse? It might really balance your hair.

I'm the opposite; I rarely use conditioner, but I have been using shampoo. My hair is dark, thick, long and wavy. It depends on how I want to style it.

This is a great topic, Secretly. Thanks for starting it! I have often wondered about this myself. I think there is a finally a trend starting towards less frequent hair washing, but I remember a time when everyday washing was the norm for everyone. Of course, I don't always use product in my hair, and I don't have oily hair. But it's the whole chicken and the egg debate, right?
fairy_dreams
5% products discount

Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
Azumma, what brand of shampoo and conditioner are you using? Some are especially harsh and strip away all natural oils so your scalp will overproduce oil and cause your hair to smell bad really quickly. Maybe use a more natural and gentle shampoo and a more fragrant conditioner instead.
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:53 am      Reply with quote
I use Pentene Pro V, clairol herbal essence, head and shoulders, Garnier..
But last week I tried and tested for not to use shampoo for 4 days and just washed my hair with water while I shower myself and just used a little bit conditioner.
But my hair got messy and it turned out horse hair .disgusting... Sad
my hair got tangled and hard to brush in the morning. so I gave up and from yesterday I started to use my shampoo again. Now my hair feel good and clean,,but it is not shiny..it is frisky...I want shiny hair.
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:55 am      Reply with quote
Vinegar?? you mean eating Vinegar?? how about Vinegar smell?? how can you get rid of it??

hyacynthgirl wrote:
The key, at least with my hair, is brushing it every day with a boar's hair brush. This distributes the oil that is being produced. I have always had normal hair, but a sort of "fatty" scalp – it doesn't look oily, but there is a smell. I think it's genetic. I'm predisposed to sebaceous cysts on my scalp – the bane of my existence! So I have to make sure my scalp is rinsed, and I have to brush. I have always gotten compliments on my hair, but even in high school I didn't wash it every day (though I felt like a freak!). My average now is once a week, and I want to start washing with baking soda and an acv rinse, (the "nopoo" method, Penta) but I'm dragging my feet with that. It seems involved and unpredictable. I used to do the acv rinse all the time as a teen – I think that probably is the cure for the greasy smell.
Azumma, have you tried apple cider vinegar rinse? It might really balance your hair.

I'm the opposite; I rarely use conditioner, but I have been using shampoo. My hair is dark, thick, long and wavy. It depends on how I want to style it.

This is a great topic, Secretly. Thanks for starting it! I have often wondered about this myself. I think there is a finally a trend starting towards less frequent hair washing, but I remember a time when everyday washing was the norm for everyone. Of course, I don't always use product in my hair, and I don't have oily hair. But it's the whole chicken and the egg debate, right?
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
I was my hair every second day usually.
But if it is hot out or I am in the rain,or travelling I wash my hair every day.

If I happen to exercise everyday and sweat so much my hair is wet with sweat (I used to have to exercise in 35+ extremely sunny weather for inline skating and wouldbe so gross..my shirt would be soaked with sweat....)
Then I have to wash my hair.

I also find my hair looks flat after 2 or 3 days of not washing.

I have fairly dry hair,doesn't matter what shampoo I use or how long I have gone without washing..it is just how my hair is.
My hair does have the shiny look-I think it is cuz I do not absorb some vitamins well.
I am taking all the right supplements and it helps a bit but not tons.

Also the kind of shampoo makes a bit of difference,not tons.
I have natural and organic shampoos,salon shampoos,pantene,the new clairol-but have not tried that yet (was mailed every kind of shampoo and conditioner they have a little while ago Smile,the worst shampoo for me is the store brand ones the conditioners never work and the shampoos always leave my hair like straw.
for cheap shampoo and conditioner Suave is really good.
I tried the rosemary mint one in the US and it was pretty good.
In Canada there is only Suave coconut (all coconut smell makes me ill,which is too bad as suave conditoner was good), suave strawberry-good but not as good,and some other one).
I really like the Giovanni brand that is good for me, Aveda too, Nexxus is ok..but smells too much like coconut suave..and suave is just as good as nexxus for my hair.
WhiteWolf
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Great thread...

I wash my hair every day but just conditioner only and "pony-tail it" most times. If I wash it at night, upon waking it's a mess. My hair is a bit wavy but the sort of waves that don't stick down but up all over the place (very unflattering). Even if I straighten it the night before with a flat iron, I still wake up with messy hair.

I wonder if I can try skipping a day or two and see if it stays bit flatter.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:55 am      Reply with quote
azumma wrote:
Vinegar?? you mean eating Vinegar?? how about Vinegar smell?? how can you get rid of it??

Sorry, just saw this!

You use about 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar to 1 qt. of water. After you shampoo your hair and rinse out the shampoo, rinse with the vinegar/water. Leave it on a few seconds, then rinse with cold water. The smell goes away after it is rinsed out. I am one of those people that doesn't mind the smell of vinegar, so I don't know how bad it will be for you. (And it is diluted.) Don't use it everyday, see how your hair responds. Vinegar is an acid, so you don't want to totally strip your hair from overuse. But it makes your hair totally shiny and clean!
hyacynthgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:17 am      Reply with quote
I wanted to clarify: I use shampoo once or twice a week. I do stand under the shower and rinse out my hair every day. White Wolf, I think you and I have the same kind of hair, ha ha. Is yours on the short side? If I use the "sleek" type of shampoo/conditioner, that makes my hair pretty smooth.
I do love hair care stuff, Aveda, Nexus, Biolage, yum. But I am trying to wean off it because of my scalp. I think for some reason I absorb more toxins. I haven't found a natural shampoo I love. I don't know if you can really call the Aveda "natural".
WhiteWolf
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:12 am      Reply with quote
I have my hair long, well shoulder length so I can do pony-tails when needed. I did skip a day but the next day my hair was greasy. I sweat sometimes at night I think. I do use a clarifying shampoo with ACV in it and just condition only most days. I'm just one of the ones who need to wash it or at least rinse once a day.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:35 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |