Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Retin A help please
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sue09
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you riley. I do realise that this is a long term thing but I am just really surprised that my skin has not peeled, gone red, irritated or felt dry or tight. I think I just expected that I would see a reaction, even though there would be no improvement for some time.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
sue09 wrote:
Thank you riley. I do realise that this is a long term thing but I am just really surprised that my skin has not peeled, gone red, irritated or felt dry or tight. I think I just expected that I would see a reaction, even though there would be no improvement for some time.

LOL! OK, Sue. I misunderstood you. I thought you were looking for improvement in 2 weeks! Just really count yourself among the lucky that can use RA without a reaction and remember you don't have to have the irritation for it to work. It also can hit you after a few weeks time (sometimes around 4-6 weeks), so you still may see some reaction but if you don't you are lucky! Very Happy
sue09
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
Well, just to update you all, I have now been using this every night for 3 weeks. As yet, I have still seen no unwanted side effects. I haven't noticed any peeling, and so will continue for another few weeks before I think about going up to the next strength.
Hermosa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
I started using Obagi/retinA a few months ago (I think my third Obagi experience). I had no issues with it at all. I took a break for three weeks while on vacation, and have been back on the routine for two weeks now. No reaction. Nothing! I think I must need the industrial strength version.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
Hermosa wrote:
I started using Obagi/retinA a few months ago (I think my third Obagi experience). I had no issues with it at all. I took a break for three weeks while on vacation, and have been back on the routine for two weeks now. No reaction. Nothing! I think I must need the industrial strength version.

Maybe your skin has just done a good job of acclimating and you won't experience any of the "side effects." Lucky you!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
My skin hasn't done a good job of anything. It just sits there despite my best efforts to get it to molt. I'm serious -- what do people do when Retina isn't strong enough to make a difference?
sue09
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:06 am      Reply with quote
Hermosa.....I laughed when you said you needed industrial strength because that's what I said yesterday. What strength of retin a do you use?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:37 am      Reply with quote
Hermosa wrote:
My skin hasn't done a good job of anything. It just sits there despite my best efforts to get it to molt. I'm serious -- what do people do when Retina isn't strong enough to make a difference?

Hermosa, how long have you been using Retin A and what strength do you use? Also, do you use a moisturizer over and/or under it?

Just 1 thing. Don't forget that not everyone has the flaking, peeling, etc., but that does not mean Retin A is not working. Some people can just tolerate it. You need to give Retin A 1 year of nightly use to see the results.
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:05 am      Reply with quote
I starting using retin A .05% and apart from some very minor flaking after the first 2 weeks, and I mean very "little flaking" my skin never experienced the extreme flaking, peeling and redness that a lot of other users experience. I did the Obagi nu derm for 24 weeks and throughout the entire process I sail through it without any problems. I guess I was one of the very lucky ones that I was able to tolerate it.

Now, after a year of using retin A .05% I've increased the strength to 1% and even have the 1% forte which is the strongest available. I'm using it atleast 4-5 times per week in the pm. Even with the 1% forte I still didn't experience any of the side effects. So don't worry about not experiencing the "expected" side effects, I didn't and yet I'm still getting the great results from using it. I don't even have to use a moisturizer over it. Consider yourself lucky and continue to use it.
Hermosa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:32 am      Reply with quote
I have the cream (.05%) and gel (.1%) I've used the gel alone, but it's drying (my skin no longer being as oily as it was) and the cream I mix with the blender. It would be great to have results with or without side effects.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:43 am      Reply with quote
Hermosa, yes the gel is drying (and nasty IMO!). You sound like you are just one of the lucky ones not having any reactions to the Retin A. Just keep doing what you are doing and be glad you don't get the peely, flaky mess that so many people get!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
I have used .05 and .1 and alternate. No problems. If I use just.1 everynight I get some flaking at most. I have oily skin and sometimes I feel like if I dont use the heavy duty stuff my skin is just doing Hang time with nothing happening.
Some of us are good with .25, many need .05 and for the very oily or resistant .1 to keep the skin working!
I understand the benefits are there without the need for skin reaction so just faithful, daily or semi-daily use should show results within a year or for some 6 months. Again - it's all skin dependent.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:24 am      Reply with quote
You can use the 0.05%. No problem I use on my whole face and neck and can see the big improve.
luvyourskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:26 am      Reply with quote
I've been using Retina A for about 20 years and use the strongest strength. At this point I only use it about 3 times a week to maintain my "turnover" rate. Sometimes it does take a week or so before you notice light shedding. Consider yourself lucky that you haven't been too aggressive and suffered from the redness and burning. It seems as if you are taking the correct slow and steady route!!
sue09
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I did go up to the 0.05% strength and have been using that every night for the last 10 days. I have still had no adverse reaction, so I think my skin must just tolerate it.

At the moment, I use Dermalogica Skin smoothing cream as a moisturiser and Nivea Q10 eye cream. One of the reasons I decided on to use retin a was some criss cross fine lines on the orbital bone just under my eyes. Can anyone suggest a better eye cream than I am using please.
sarah1987

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Sue, I stumbled cross this forum after experiencing no visible side-effects to Retin-A (0.01% cream). I was also worried that it wasn't working because I wasn't getting the peeling everyone was talking about.

Have you kept using it Retin-A since you last posted? Did you ever get the side effects and/or see any visible improvements in your skin?
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:13 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |