Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Essential oil scents
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:04 am      Reply with quote
I've staying away from essential oils but I'm now IN LOVE with the smell of ylang ylang which is in my sunscreen. So, I've decided that maybe adding essential oils to unscented body lotions wouldn't be such a bad thing. Do any of you have a favorite essential oil scent?

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:26 am      Reply with quote
geranium is gorgeous, very floral. And patchouli if you like woody types scents - i use these in everything. make sure you dnt add to much or the scent can get overpowering

32, still using: OCM, vitc C, epidermx, ageless (for my lips), now added clarisonic, silk pillow and Aldi skincare! Skin is better than ever 31, medium olive skin, combination-oily. Staples: epidermx II, OCM, retin-a, vit c powder, facial exercises (ageless).
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:32 am      Reply with quote
mowgli wrote:
geranium is gorgeous, very floral. And patchouli if you like woody types scents - i use these in everything. make sure you dnt add to much or the scent can get overpowering

Thanks mowgli. I didn't realize there was a geranium essential oil. Do you think these oils would smell good blended together or should I refrain from doing that?

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:43 am      Reply with quote
You can def use these two together, and you can also mix with other floraly EO for a more floral flavour or more woody spicy EOs like rosewood for a woody scent.

Unless you are just interested in EOs for the scent, I would also look at the properties of different EOs - a quick search would bring up lots of results, as there are EOs for all sorts of needs, e.g. for dry skin, circulation, muscle pain etc

32, still using: OCM, vitc C, epidermx, ageless (for my lips), now added clarisonic, silk pillow and Aldi skincare! Skin is better than ever 31, medium olive skin, combination-oily. Staples: epidermx II, OCM, retin-a, vit c powder, facial exercises (ageless).
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:00 am      Reply with quote
Skippie, why not check out the rejuvenative effects of essential oils as well..since you are enjoying the scents so much...and choose one (or more) that will give you both benefits.

i just saw that mowgli has already posted this same info....so i'm seconding this idea!

wanted to add that heliochrysum (immortelle) is probably considered the number one eo for skin rejuvenation (doesn't smell as 'sweet' as others do though)....but there are others that offer both 'youthening' and exquisite smell...like rose otto for example (smells like heaven to me..but i love the smell of roses)

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
I love roses too, jasminerosey. I've been doing some looking and think I'd like to buy a kit with several oils to try. I also saw a lot of ready-made blends but I hate to buy one of those if I don't know how I'd like the combined scents.

Where do you buy your oils, mowgli and jasminerosey? I assume essential oils are like everything else - some sellers have better quality oils than others.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
For almost anything of this nature I suggest
Mountain Rose Herbs or Garden of Wisdom.

I have been a patchouli lover for years. I combine mine in a base so it's not heavy or to 60's - I just love Patchouli. At times I have used with Lavendar.

I just bought some Rose geranium from Garden of wisdom (actually a hydrosol for the face) and they had the heliochrysum immortelle that Jasminerosey mentions. If I had seen this first I would've tried that also. She has the best recs.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
I've staying away from essential oils but I'm now IN LOVE with the smell of ylang ylang which is in my sunscreen. So, I've decided that maybe adding essential oils to unscented body lotions wouldn't be such a bad thing. Do any of you have a favorite essential oil scent?

Skippie - is this your MVO kids that smells so good?

I could relate to your post when I saw it. I use the MVO moisturing face screen plus, which I really, really like. It has a wonderful smell as well (not ylang ylang though - a mix of a couple of EOs). Every time I use it I notice a calming feeling (which I really appreciate right now!). I was thinking of getting the EOs just to experience the calm feeling again, but I'm just not sure which one it is.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl,

Can you possibly list which essential oils are in it? That way we could help identify which one(s) are calming in their properties? Smile

Another great source for information is Aura Cacia's site.

http://www.auracacia.com

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:17 am      Reply with quote
mowgli wrote:

Patchouli is the one I hate the most,lol..or one of them.
Also do not like rose,lavender.

But for floral things I did try a Neroli hydrosol face spray and that actually smelled nice!

I seem to like more green scents like mint,lemongrass,vanilla,green tea.
I also like cedar..other people might hate these scents

I guess you just have to sniff everything till you find something you like.

My mother loves lavender..and that is another I dislike. Laughing

I have a funny question actually!
Since you guys (and gals) like using EO...do you eat any foods that have flowers in them?

The middle eastern bakery I go to every week they use a lot of rosewater in the pastries..it is really different.
Apparently they sometimes have a rosewater ice cream or sorbet.

I know my mother likes rose petal jam and is looking for one that has actual petals in it.
I have also seen a rice pudding that had lavender in it a few months ago at some fusion restaurant.

Before I forget,I just remembered last night I bought a bottle of pure rosewater.
If you go to the middle eastern stores (not sure if the US has many..my city is like 30% african and middle eastern thesedays).
But I picked up a bottle or rose water that is for cooking and it is in a glass bottle and from lebanon.
I am guessing you can put this on your face,but would have to keep it refrigerated as there is no preservative.
There was also a orange blossom water.

And these were super cheap, like $2 for 270ml.
I have the bottle here and only ingredient listed is : DISTILLED ROSE WATER

brand is: Cedar Phonecia

-per 10ml, 0 calories,0fat,0carb,0protein Smile
I figure if this is good enough to eat you could put it on your face too!
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:55 am      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
Skippie wrote:

Skippie - is this your MVO kids that smells so good?

I could relate to your post when I saw it. I use the MVO moisturing face screen plus, which I really, really like. It has a wonderful smell as well (not ylang ylang though - a mix of a couple of EOs). Every time I use it I notice a calming feeling (which I really appreciate right now!). I was thinking of getting the EOs just to experience the calm feeling again, but I'm just not sure which one it is.

Yes, ShastaGirl - it is the MVO kids. I love the Face Screen but I love the Kids more just because of the smell. I agree the Face Screen smells nice.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:57 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
For almost anything of this nature I suggest
Mountain Rose Herbs or Garden of Wisdom.

I have been a patchouli lover for years. I combine mine in a base so it's not heavy or to 60's - I just love Patchouli. At times I have used with Lavendar.

I just bought some Rose geranium from Garden of wisdom (actually a hydrosol for the face) and they had the heliochrysum immortelle that Jasminerosey mentions. If I had seen this first I would've tried that also. She has the best recs.

Thanks, sis, for the recommendations. When I was looking around, I kept running across Mountain Rose Herbs.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:02 am      Reply with quote
the body shop which is a korea brand, i feel it is a good smelling for body.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:03 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Since you guys (and gals) like using EO...do you eat any foods that have flowers in them?

I saw someone cooking with lavender one day on the cooking channel, Ottawa. I'm wondering how that would taste.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:35 am      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:

I saw someone cooking with lavender one day on the cooking channel, Ottawa. I'm wondering how that would taste.

I used to order cookies from a bakery in New York that made the lavender cookies. They were wonderful, but I could not taste anything "different" in them!
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Skippie, i alos go to mountain rose herbs first (all organic or wildcrafted products...cheapest prices on the net ..or elsewhere..and extraordinarily high quality)..I also purchase from ananda apothecary (online) when mrh is out of an eo i need....excellent info...extremely helpful customer service..ask any questions you have about eo's....excellent quality..a bit more expensive than mrh..but still more resonabley priced..and as high..or higher..quality..than other sites charging more for the equivalent product..also, i believe, all organic or wildcrafted (at least the eos i've purchased from them)

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:35 am      Reply with quote
I've used lavender flowers as dried herbs in tea and didn't especially like the experience (thought i would)...never used the eo in cooking though(please study about how much eo's to use in food, if anyone is going to try..as it is really an 'art' not to overdo the amount and therefore harm yourself)

i have gone through phases were i use organic dried pink rose petals (they also have red ones) from mountain rose herbs in certain infusions i drink regularly...like i'll add them to a mixture of rosehip and hibiscus infusion...and flavor with homemade almond milk and vanilla (yum).

it has a distinct flavor tbough..which sometimes i love..and sometimes just tastes too 'flowery' to me..but right now..after writing this...i'm going to infuse some right now!

laellis
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:32 am      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
Quote:

I was out a couple of weeks ago and noticed a lavender cosmo on the drink menu. I love the smell of lavender, so I gave it a try. It has lavender sugar on the rim of the glass (no lavender in the drink though) and it was amazing. That's the only experience I have with "eating" flowers.

As for my favorite EO's... I'm getting quite the collection and have to say that I don't really have a favorite... It really depends on my mood and what I'm looking for it to do.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:41 am      Reply with quote
I have some violet syrup and some jasmine syrup which I am trying to find recipes to make mocktails for. I was inspired to buy the violet by a drink I had years ago that had this syrup in it - was soo refreshing and heavenly!

We also use rose syrup a lot to make a refreshing yoghurt based rose drink (called rooh-afza). mmm going to have some soon

I tried a flower salad in canada once - tasted very green/grassy

Skippie - I get my essential oils from an organic EO producer, they are based in the UK

http://www.nhrorganicoils.com/

You should def try a few different oils - find an aromatherapy shop and see what family of scents you like more, there are a few, e.g. green, woody, spicy, floral etc

Cheng
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
I buy my essential oils from supermarket only coz its so much cheaper.
I love the smell too, especially lavender and lemon. Haha
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
ShastaGirl,

Can you possibly list which essential oils are in it? That way we could help identify which one(s) are calming in their properties? Smile

Another great source for information is Aura Cacia's site.

http://www.auracacia.com

Here's the full ingredient list for the MVO face screen:

Camellia sinensis (green& white tea), non-nano zinc oxide, Simmondsia chinensis (jojoba oil), Prunus armeniaca (apricot kernel oil), Limnanthes alba (meadowfoam seed oil), Helianthus annuus (sunflower oil), emu oil, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), vegetable glycerin, Elaesis guineensis (red palm oil), Rubus idaeus (red raspberry seed oil), lecithin, potassium sorbate, allantoin, Cosmocil CQ*, xanthan gum, mica, Hippophae rhamnoides (sea buckthorn oil), Calodendrum Capense (yangu oil), Rosemary oleoresin, pearl powder, Daucus carota (carrot seed) essential oil, Cistus incanus (cistus) essential oil, Lonicera japonica (honeysuckle), Helichrysum italicum (helichrysum) essential oil, iron oxides

Any insight on which ones are providing the soothing smell would be appreciated. I don't think it's the carrot seed, I've smelled that separately before. It almost seems like rosemary to me, but according to Lotioncrafters, rosemary oleoresin isn't supposed to have a strong scent in finished preparations.

Thanks!
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
What a nice site, mowgli....http://www.nhrorganicoils.com.....i like that they pack their glass containers in tubes to prevent sun exposure for the eo's.

jasmine syrup sounds sooo good to me....i love jasmine gren tea but can't handle the caffeine in green tea at all...but your post haas awakened me to the possibility of finding died jasmine flowers that i can add to herbal teas...(i don't do well with sugar...even honey, agave, etc....so can't make a syrup..but jasmine flowers would go great with my homemade rosehip 'pudding'..or..for my taste... added to red clover or linden flower tea) I've tried to find dried violets (organic or wildcrafted)for herbal tea...but haven't been succesful.

jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
shastagirl..the MVO ingred's are interesting...especially the cisus eo (it's made from a mineral isn't it..some rock-like substance..i've wantd to try it but haven't yet)

i don't know what honeysuckle eo smells like (i have focused on eo's for heavy duty facial regeneration) but i know that the smell of honeysuckle flowers is exquisite ...very sweet...like a combo of honey and flowers..they line both sides of a path to the ocean through forest land at a spiritual retreat i visit in the spring in SC....very very lovely smell..it aids in taking me totally away from my everyday concerns.

jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
shastagirl i reread your post and realized that you though it might be the rosemary smel in the mixture that soothed you...so i doubt honeysucle would be the smell you meant...but then i was thinking that heliochrysum(immortelle, everlasting) would be more like the smell of rosemary..in a kind of broad way..it's a strong smell..not sweet..at least to my scent...but i didn't know if it had properties of soothing..so i googled it and found this....

Richly aromatic, the essential oil Helichrysum soothes your body and raises your spirits with the subtle scent of honey and flora.

(maybe the subtleness of the scent depends on how much is used..it doesn't seem subtle to me..but i use a lot in one of my diy serums)

Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
I love lavender, cedar and those are two that I can think of right now that I really like.

I used cedar to apply under the horse saddle to keep the mosquito away.

I think I like other scents but I would have to do a smell test to remember what I like.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:18 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |