Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Making the effort and looking worse. (pictures)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
HI,Everyone, Well, I've decided to go ahead and post my picture to help with any much needed advice and/or thoughts you have for me. I've always admired those of you who have posted your pictures. Up until now, I just have not wanted to....too afraid. Embarassed
I'm trying not to freak out, but these pics have really taken me aback. My concern is the number of tiny wrinkles and the larger ones that give my skin a very rough, unsmooth texture. This texture has noticeably worsened over the last maybe 3 months! Very distressing.
I use a Dermawand, AALS, the Nova 60 Diamond Microderm Machine, Facemaster,and 1.5 dermaroller. Sounds like a lot, I realize, but here's the breakdown on how I use these tools. l use my DW every day. Occasionally, I'll use it twice a day. I use my AALS every other day. I use my Facemaster on the eyes every other day. I use my microderm machine once every 3 weeks. I dermaroll (enough to draw blood) no more than every 3 months or so. I use to use Tua Trend, but I developed pouches on the sides of my mouth.
I used retin-a for over 25 years, but no longer. I use a C serum (c tablet dissolved in water) everyday, and ALWAYS wear a minimum 30spf sunscreen. I take vitamins and minerals and eat a pretty healthy diet. I drink plenty water. I go the gym for a nice, not extreme by any means, workout 5 times a week. A month ago, I had Juvey Plus injected in my cheek area. The result is not what I really wanted, but I think it is an improvement over my completely flattened face.
Five weeks ago, I had to start taking methotrexate (low dose), a form or chemo, for my rheumatiod arthritis. I should mention I am about underweight and have been for the past few years. I am 5'3" and weigh approx. 103 lbs.
A year ago, I used 302 C Serum for a few months and actually saw an improvement in my skin. In fact, I had 2 friends ask me what I was using to get my skin looking so good. Now, let me say this, my skin "looking good" is relative. I've had acne since age 11 and scarred as a result of decades of breakouts. So, when MY skin looks good, it's not the same as someone who has pretty skin looking good.
Apparently, I am really making some big mistakes. My skin looks worn out and old. Please advise me. I really am kind of feeling lost.
If there is an easier way to post a pic, please let me know. THANK YOU so much. http://s945.photobucket.com/albums/ad300/Ilovetvtoomuch/EDS/

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
Quite frankly, what strikes me Mars, is how smooth your neck looks and the lack of lip lines. I'd kill for those two things. If you don't mind me asking, why did you stop using retin-a?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Skippie, Thank you for the compliment about my neck and lip lines. I must say, my neck looks good for my age. I'll be 59 in Oct. In the wrong light, you can see I DO have some lip lines. I wish the pics I posted were clearer so you could really see all the tiny wrinkles on the bottom half of my face.
I stopped using retin-a because I felt like I had gotten to the point where it wasn't helping me anymore. Also,I read in one of the topics posted here that retin-a can be problematic. Very occasionally, I will use a little retin-a again, but not for any length of time.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Mars wrote:
I use a C serum (c tablet dissolved in water) everyday

Are you using a c tablet meant for oral supplementation? I thought that vitamin C meant for internal use was not effective or good to use on the face. Particularly a tablet because it contains fillers.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
Have you ever tried peels, Mars? I'm really thinking about doing that myself, since I saw the pictures here:

http://blog.asapskinproducts.com/

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Mars, do you exfoliate your skin with an AHA product? My 2 cents would be to start to incorporate an AHA product into your weekly routine and get back on Retin A, even if only every other night. You also might want to think about incorporating a product that includes a variety of anti-oxidants (like SAS CHAS serum, etc.) into your routine and not just limit it to C (and if you want to continue with a C product, maybe think about trying the Skinceuticals C, E, Ferulic). BTW, I think your skin looks great for 59, Mars.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
Have you ever tried peels, Mars? I'm really thinking about doing that myself, since I saw the pictures here:

http://blog.asapskinproducts.com/

She had a lot of other things done on top of chemical peels to get that change in her skin.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Mars, do you exfoliate your skin with an AHA product? My 2 cents would be to start to incorporate an AHA product into your weekly routine and get back on Retin A, even if only every other night.

If I remember correctly, I think Mars was doing peels or acids or the microderm machine, and maybe overdoing them in the past, though that was some time ago?

If your skin looked better on 302 (mine did too), you might just need more moisturization or skin barrier repair since you are already exfoliating with the microderm machine and the AALS involves heat which can also dry out your skin. Nia 24 is great for that.

Overall, you skin looks far better than you think it does! But I would potentially back off some of the tools a bit...I found that the more I did, the worse mine looked.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
But I would potentially back off some of the tools a bit

Yes, I definitely 2nd this advice.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
Mars, My first thought was "What a lovely neck" you have. Accentuate the positive. Good posture and holding your face ina "happy" positive way always helps.

I agree about using AHA and kicking back on some of your tools.

I aso recommend something less invasive like Tanaka massage - it gives good blood flow and encourages a better looking face overall. Three or Four times a week should help a lot and it only takes about 4 minutes.

I would also look into using some hydrosols and carrier oils designed for your skin type. Garden of Wisdom did typing of my skin and provided recommendations. I bought two hydrosols and two oils and I am tickled about them. Your skin will love you. Simple ingredients are sometimes the best remedy.

I use these and copper peptides in the morning; retin A a few times a week, and I'm getting back into using a C serum in the evenings. (Of course sunscreen).

One thing also - have you considered cutting back to a .25 or a .5 roller and use for rolling in some good stuff. I do this once a week with copper peptides, and follow with anti-ox serum mixed with ELS from Skinactives to give the skin a good feeding.

Hope you will let us know how things go for you.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
Mars, my first feeling is not to be so hard on yourself..(as it causes aging)..and you are a beautiful woman....quite stunningly so.. and aging really doesn't take away beauty...hard to explain what i mean..but a beautiful 59 year old is still a beauty even with lines, etc....as is a beautiful 92 year old..age doesn't take away one's fundamental beauty.

i quess, i would say that since you are taking the low level chemo drug it would benefit your desire to retain a youthful appearance by keeping all else you put on your body/skin as chemical free as possible...i like sister's idea of oils and hydrosols...there is some interesting info on eo's for anti-aging in the essential oil scents thread in this forum.

i've been really enamored with diluted magnesium oil recently...it's had more of a youthening effect on my skin then any other topical application i've tried..and i love so many of them...including eo's...

i'anyway much to say...perhaps tomorrow in another post

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
Mars, my first feeling is not to be so hard on yourself..(as it causes aging)..and you are a beautiful woman....quite stunningly so.. and aging really doesn't take away beauty...hard to explain what i mean..but a beautiful 59 year old is still a beauty even with lines, etc....as is a beautiful 92 year old..age doesn't take away one's fundamental beauty.

i quess, i would say that since you are taking the low level chemo drug it would benefit your desire to retain a youthful appearance by keeping all else you put on your body/skin as chemical free as possible...i like sister's idea of oils and hydrosols...there is some interesting info on eo's for anti-aging in the essential oil scents thread in this forum.

i've been really enamored with diluted magnesium oil recently...it's had more of a youthening effect on my skin then any other topical application i've tried..and i love so many of them...including eo's...

i'anyway much to say...perhaps tomorrow in another post

Jasminerosey - I hope you will continue to provide some advice for Mars. I think you could help as much or more than anyone.
Let me get this right: You ae using a diluted magnesium oil on your face? Where do you get it?? Interesting to say the least.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for your suggestions!
Regarding my c serum, since I stopped using 302 C Serum, I've just been using a vitamin c supplement and dissolving it in warm water and applying to my face, neck, and chest. Maybe I should go back to 302. ??? Pehaps some of the products suggested from SAS would do just as well. I will check into Garden of Wisdom for oils. I'm also interested in diluted magnesium oil. I'm really afraid I'm going to hurt my skin even more. You know, we all try to do the best we can to improve ourselves. It's painful to try so hard only to end up looking worse. My skin looks like it needs nourishment. It looks like I mistreat it. Believe me, the pictures don't show how bad my skin looks in regular sunlight. HONESTLY! BTW, I posted an additional picture. I think you can better see the damage to my skin.
I have given myself several glycolic acid peels in the past. Years ago, I would go to my derm and get TCA peels. I'm not afraid to give myself more peels except that I know I have been so very guilty of overdoing that and everything else in the past in an attempt to have nice skin. (Yep, you are right, Bethany!)
I tried Tanka massage for a while, but didn't see any improvement. I forgot to mention in my original post on this topic that almost everyday, I use just the suction part of my microderm machine to stimulate collagen. In other words, I'm not exfoliating when I do this.
I like all of your suggestions and appreciate you all so much for taking time to respond to me. I will look forward to any other thoughts you may have for me. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mars,
When I first took a look at your pictures, I thought you were probably around my age (47.) Imagine my surprise when I checked your tag line! Shock

Maybe we try too hard sometimes. Sometimes less really is more. Good luck on finding a "happy medium" as far as a skincare routine goes.

I think you're looking great!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
Mars, I have been thinking about starting a similar thread (except I'm not brave enough to post photos). The devices, the nutrition, the exercise -- in most everything else, if you put in a ton of effort (and I am guessing you are a driven go-getter in real life) you see results.

But in the neverending fight against looking old, there are two factors that work against us:

* It is possible to overdo it -- and skin that looks as though it needs nourishment may be reeling from all those workouts you're giving it.

* We become so aware of every flaw that we don't see ourselves the way we look to others.

Your skin looks fine to me in those photos. Maybe what you need is a break from what you've been doing -- maybe even a few weeks to see if your skin is happier. And I agree that it is a good idea to change around the routine occasionally. I know nothing about magnesium oil, but hey, why not, and oils and hydrosols sound good too. Give the devices a rest, and see if less is more.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:56 am      Reply with quote
Please pardon my lack of skincare education, but what are hydrosols and how are they effective in fighting the anitage war -- so to speak? Thanks so much!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:45 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Hi Mars,
When I first took a look at your pictures, I thought you were probably around my age (47.) Imagine my surprise when I checked your tag line! Shock

I agree. I actually couldn't believe your age, and I called my son in and asked what age he would guess you at. He said late 40's/early 50's. I think everyone would guess you as much younger than your age. So you look really good Mars. That came from my 21 year old son, BTW.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:48 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Please pardon my lack of skincare education, but what are hydrosols and how are they effective in fighting the anitage war -- so to speak? Thanks so much!

It is a flower water, kims. Take a look at this site. It will tell your about them. http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/whatishydrosol.html
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:07 am      Reply with quote
Even in your new pictures, I think your skin looks really good Mars. You're definitely being too hard on yourself.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:24 am      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:

Are you using a c tablet meant for oral supplementation? I thought that vitamin C meant for internal use was not effective or good to use on the face. Particularly a tablet because it contains fillers.

First, I think you look a good decade younger than your age.

Second, I think GirlieGirl is right in regards to using a dissolved Vit C tablet for your C-serum. I believe I read a post by Kassy which states, (bear with me as I'm paraphrasing from memory something I gleened)that using such could actually have the opposite effect than using proper l-ascorbic-acid. IE: that it possibly causes oxidation. Hopefully Kassy will see this and post.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
kims wrote:

It is a flower water, kims. Take a look at this site. It will tell your about them. http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/whatishydrosol.html

Thanks, Rileygirl! I can learn something new everyday on this site.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
pleiades wrote:
GirlieGirl wrote:

First, I think you look a good decade younger than your age.

Second, I think GirlieGirl is right in regards to using a dissolved Vit C tablet for your C-serum. I believe I read a post by Kassy which states, (bear with me as I'm paraphrasing from memory something I gleened)that using such could actually have the opposite effect than using proper l-ascorbic-acid. IE: that it possibly causes oxidation. Hopefully Kassy will see this and post.

LOL! Laughing Laughing Laughing (I think you mixed up two different topics.)

It's only MHO mind you, but in regard to pure vitamin C, I would never use anything meant to be a supplement on my skin. Often things like "anti-caking" ingredients, aren't in the description, and your led to believe it's *pure*. Also be aware that when you see vitamin C being advertised as "it won't oxidize" or words to that effect, it's no doubt the synthetic form of 'ascorbic acid' (or one of the derivatives) and certainly not the persnikity "L"-Ascorbic Acid that we all have a love/hate relationship with. Then of course you have different potency's to figure out, which are totally different for DIY skincare and supplementation.. Yeeeeesh~! It's just better to order from Lotioncrafter or Bulkactives, and not have the headaches. No sense wasting time and money, just to produce a serum that is mediocre (at best)... (Oh yeah, and then blame my recipe's when they turn out gritty + sh!tty, or clumpy + lumpy ... Laughing Laughing Laughing)

The real deal L-AA is so cheap and readily available, I still can't figure out why so many don't take advantage of that.. Sad

Anyhoo MARS, YOU LOOK TERRIFIC, AND I DON'T FEEL ONE BIT SORRY FOR YOU Bad Grin Laughing Very Happy If I just came across those pictures, and someone asked me to guess the age, I'd honestly be putting you in the no more than 40 ish arena.

With all that said, I think you would really enjoy the benefits that 'oils' have to offer. Especially these;

- avocado
- palm
- grapeseed
- wheat germ
- macadamia

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
OMG! Are you sure you all are looking at MY pictures? Your comments about me looking younger than my very near 59 yrs are blowing me away. rileygirl, please thank your 21 yr old for me. His guess at me being late 40's/early 50's is a real ego boost. Thank you all for all the information and the caring way you present it. Very Happy
Ok, so no more C supplement on my face. Done! I haven't had an opportunity to check into oils today, but I definitely will. I haven't used one tool today, but am wondering if I should use my AALS. The last time I used it was Saturday.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
Mars wrote:
rileygirl, please thank your 21 yr old for me. His guess at me being late 40's/early 50's is a real ego boost.

You should have an ego boost every day, Mars. Your skin looks better than mine and I am 47! I'll pass on that thanks to my boy. Very Happy
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
Mars wrote:
I haven't used one tool today, but am wondering if I should use my AALS. The last time I used it was Saturday.

Glad you brought that back up. I got side tracked with the vitamin C stuff... Laughing

Definitely back off on the LED treatments for sure.

IMHO, too much, is more detrimental than too little. I honestly feel that way in regard to "all" tools/gadgets that are designed to stimulate collagen production.

Gotta give the inflammatory process time to go through the 4 stages that result in new, healthy collagen being generated.

Too much *repeated* inflammation will result in the dreaded collagen digesting enzymes, which will do way more harm to your existing collagen... Shock

In my experience, more times than not, less is more when it comes to gadgets. (In fact, when it comes to most things in life! Very Happy )

And let me say again, you look mahhhvveellous darling ♥

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |