Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Gold In A Jar -- Walgreen's Brand Alpha Hydroxy Cream
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
gretchen wrote:
I have been wondering about AHAs lately, if they thin the skin out and damage it? I read this on the ncnproskincare.com blog. Does anyone know?

I actually have read just the opposite. That glycolic acid can thicken the dermis layer, and increase type 1 collagen. Glycolic acid will thin the top layer, just like Retin A, but this is a good thing if you want smooth skin.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
gretchen wrote:
I have been wondering about AHAs lately, if they thin the skin out and damage it? I read this on the ncnproskincare.com blog. Does anyone know?

I actually have read just the opposite. That glycolic acid can thicken the dermis layer, and increase type 1 collagen. Glycolic acid will thin the top layer, just like Retin A, but this is a good thing if you want smooth skin.

From actual experience I did use an AHA cream moisturizer for about 6-7 years without any damage or thinning other than as Riley noted it helped remove the top layer of dead cells we want gone. Sadly it was discontinued! Sad That's why this peaked my interest. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
I've had nice long term results from AHA's also, and never had any irritation or damage either.

Lately I've switched to the gentler Lactic Acid, and I must say I really love it. Not only does it remove the dead gunk, but I honestly believe that ongoing use of AHA's really do seem to help keep the collagen flourishing.

The other plus that I read somewhere lately, is that LA is capable of "resynthesizing ATP", which is the building block of collagen production. It's a win/win in my regime, since the LED treatments also target the ATP.

Bad Grin The older I get, the harder I study Bad Grin Mr Kassy just keeps shaking his head and giving me this; Rolling Eyes Laughing

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the review, i'll have to look for this next time i stop by walgreens!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy inspired me to look for a lactic acid I knew I had: Lactic power 10 from Skinbio. It had great reviews on their forum. I heard it is recommended for more "mature" skin. I got a sample (their samples are generous)from the company and I put it away for later and later is finally now.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review, EC413. Smile
Did you go through a purging period at all?
What were your skin concerns when you started?
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
Wouldn't you know: couldn't find it at my neighborhood Walgreen's, but will definitely look on line! Sounds like a keeper!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Wouldn't you know: couldn't find it at my neighborhood Walgreen's, but will definitely look on line! Sounds like a keeper!

I don't know if you have more than one store close by, but EC suggested checking online for stores near you that have it in stock? I never knew they had that option until she pointed it out! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
I will check this out, DM. There are other Walgreens near by; I just checked out the one I frequent the most. Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
I will check this out, DM. There are other Walgreens near by; I just checked out the one I frequent the most. Thanks!

You are very welcome, the credit all goes to EC for all of this though! Yea EC!!! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:40 am      Reply with quote
Penta, thus far, no purging. I know a lot of people when I read the reviews claimed they went through a purge period, but I suppose my skin isn't too congested. My face actually hasn't had ONE pimple erupt since using.

My skin concerns? I guess just the first signs of aging(late 20's skin), uneven color, some freckling from years of tanning. I guess my main concern would just be the prevention of more wrinkles. Since I am at my age, I suppose the results wouldn't be as good as they would be for someone who has more "aging" issues.

And yes, like DarkMoon said, check on the website to see if any of this stuff is available in your area! Or call Walgreen's around you, and ask. It's worth buying, I assure you.
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:43 am      Reply with quote
EC413 wrote:
Penta, thus far, no purging. I know a lot of people when I read the reviews claimed they went through a purge period, but I suppose my skin isn't too congested. My face actually hasn't had ONE pimple erupt since using.

My skin concerns? I guess just the first signs of aging(late 20's skin), uneven color, some freckling from years of tanning. I guess my main concern would just be the prevention of more wrinkles. Since I am at my age, I suppose the results wouldn't be as good as they would be for someone who has more "aging" issues.

And yes, like DarkMoon said, check on the website to see if any of this stuff is available in your area! Or call Walgreen's around you, and ask. It's worth buying, I assure you.

Thanks EC413, I definitely will! Very Happy
I never used AHA before and am totally confused about BHA and AHA and reintoids and retin-a. I'm trying to read as much as I can, but my oh my, I've never been good with science. More of a language and liberal arts girl here Laughing
My main concern are breakouts and first signs of aging, so maybe this would be a good thing to try for me, too.
I think I read somehwere that BHA is better for breakouts than AHA. Confused
Ever since i started my skin care journey I feel constantly confused Laughing
I need to spend more time on research Confused Confused
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
Found it at a local Walgreens...I got the last jar.
Thanks so much, we're on a tight budget so now I don't feel so guilty about ordering my vit c now...

Lou
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
Loumomofthree wrote:
Thanks so much, we're on a tight budget so now I don't feel so guilty about ordering my vit c now...

Lou

Good for you Lou! I have a feeling Walgreens will be having a bit of a run on this thanks to EC! I am grabbing some tomorrow at one close by my bank! Bad Grin

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:59 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Loumomofthree wrote:

Lou

Good for you Lou! I have a feeling Walgreens will be having a bit of a run on this thanks to EC! I am grabbing some tomorrow at one close by my bank! Bad Grin

Thanks, I was so excited when I saw the last jar sitting on the bottom shelf...you'd think I won the lottery...I just stood in shook then quickly grabbed it up..LOL...
Algona
5% products discount

Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
My Walgreens didn't carry it, so I asked the store manager to order online for me. No shipping fees when you order it in the store, but it takes 10 days to receive it and you pick it up at the store.
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
Penta, definitely give it a try, I think it'll help!

I hope you guys are able to find some!
I'm on the second week and I noticed my skin getting a little irritated with daily use. I cut down to every other day, I think I was overusing it a bit. My skin is doing better since I cut down. I think AHAs are another one of those things that can be irritable if used too much, so anyone who is looking to try this cream, maybe start out every other day or a few days a week to let your skin adjust, then move on to daily if you wish, as long as your skin is agreeing with it.
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:04 am      Reply with quote
Algona wrote:
My Walgreens didn't carry it, so I asked the store manager to order online for me. No shipping fees when you order it in the store, but it takes 10 days to receive it and you pick it up at the store.

Thanks so much, this is a great tip. The jar seems like it will last quite a while but when I get low this is exactly what I will do..

Lou
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:10 am      Reply with quote
Loumomofthree wrote:
Algona wrote:

Thanks so much, this is a great tip. The jar seems like it will last quite a while but when I get low this is exactly what I will do..

Lou

Yes Thanks Algona! It's great to know they will do that for us. I have a great manager and team at my closest Walgreens so I will be doing the same!

I loved your post about winning the lottery Lou! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:37 am      Reply with quote
Loumomofthree wrote:
Algona wrote:

Lou

It does last a long time! I've had mine now for what, over 2 weeks and it barely looks like I've used any of it. And I have a second jar waiting to be opened after this one is done! I don't think I saw an expiration date on the jar..hopefully it doesn't go bad.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:02 am      Reply with quote
I found two jars at the second Walgreen's I went in. They really are big jars and will last me a long, long time. In fact, I'm happy to share the second jar with someone who isn't able to find it.

I used it last night, and my neck itched like crazy for awhile. This morning, it was a little red in the wrinkles but not too badly.

5% products discount

Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
You are so welcome.
Algona
5% products discount

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
EC413 wrote:
It does last a long time! I've had mine now for what, over 2 weeks and it barely looks like I've used any of it. And I have a second jar waiting to be opened after this one is done! I don't think I saw an expiration date on the jar..hopefully it doesn't go bad.

Perhaps you can store your 2nd jar in the refrigerator while you're finishing up the first, or you can return it to the store until you need it then.

Since it doesn't have an expiration date, I am not sure how long it's been staying on the shelf at the store? Are they "old or new"?

. . . just a thought Smile
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:26 am      Reply with quote
Skippie I experienced similar results when I first used it. There will also be a little tingling when you apply it. I also experienced slight redness, which eventually went away after using it more and more. This is common with AHAs.

Algona, that's not a bad idea. I don't think this cream is "old" because this cream was JUST repackaged. Before, instead of saying just "W" it said "Walgreens" on the front. So at least I know they aren't that old. But that is true, sometimes you wonder how long that skincare stuff sits on those shelves. And I doubt the stores will ever throw stuff away! Then again, skincare probably has a long shelf life.
luca4
5% products discount

Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
I just returned from Walgreen's where I purchased 2 jars of the AHA face cream. I'm waiting on an order from bulkactives and will add more lactic acid to it when that arrives.

In the meantime, do any of you concoction guru's think I could add a couple of drops of my 70% glycolic acid mixing them together in my palm??

Or perhaps, add just a small amount of Tazorac gel (which is sooooo strong) again mixing them in my palm??

While at Walgreens I looked around for any other good deals and found their house brand of sunscreen for sensitive skin 70 SPF with Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide. Don't want to hijack this thread so will post more about the SS on that thread.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:59 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |