Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Who sees results from efforts yet still smokes?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bluugrass
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:24 am      Reply with quote
I know I should quit...I've every intention of doing so right after I finish my last class for my certificate. Until I do, I'm stuck here at this computer and puff away. If I try to quit before I'm done I can't concentrate and run out and buy a pack. So....that being said, are all my efforts for naught? I've been on RetinA since December, CPs since April, recently started with Loulou's Ageless and just bought the new Facercise DVD. I'm trying to be more diligent about suppliments (vit C, MSM, Evening Primrose Oil, resveratrol), green smoothies, and getting to the gym...Oh, and water...lots of water. The only thing I've been really diligent with for any length of time is the Retin-A and CPs...everything else I either just got or haven't been religious about. I'm expecting my first derma rollers any day now (.25 and a 1.5), and knowing what's been said about smokers not healing up to par, maybe rolling will be a waste of time too. Does anyone here smoke, yet see results with their reverse-aging routines?? Or can offer tips to counter the smoke until such time as I can quit?

Oh...I'm 50.

Thanks bunches!
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:59 am      Reply with quote
I'm not a smoker.

some reasons why I do not smoke are that when I was younger (am 33 now), this famly friend..like a grandmother almost..she was married to her husband 49 years and he smoked all the time.

He ended up getting throat cancer and had to have his voice box removed and was not able to talk properly.
Really sad actually, that they were married 49 years and that happened.

One of my uncles- he smoked his whole life and a few months ago he found out he had lung cancer, then shortly after that he found out he had liver cancer...then brain cancer too I think.
He had to stay in the hospital as he tried to go home but was in too much pain and too ill.
He ended up passing away a few months ago.
His wife, my mom's sister she has MS or something like that and has been in a wheelchair for the past 2 years...she can not walk anymore either.
Her husband used to help her with everything as they lived together.
Now she is living by herself and only has an assistant come by to help her get in and out of bed...and if this person does not show up for whatever reason (has happened a few times this year)....she is stuck in bed all day unable to get food ect....

I'll also add I knew a friend who smoked for 40 years and never had any problems, he used to eat a lot of butter,fried stuff, whatever..and he was fine.
Well, maybe not fine as he died last year from a heart attack,but doubt that is smoke related.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:15 am      Reply with quote
bluugrass wrote:
I know I should quit...I've every intention of doing so right after I finish my last class for my certificate. Until I do, I'm stuck here at this computer and puff away. If I try to quit before I'm done I can't concentrate and run out and buy a pack. So....that being said, are all my efforts for naught? I've been on RetinA since December, CPs since April, recently started with Loulou's Ageless and just bought the new Facercise DVD. I'm trying to be more diligent about suppliments (vit C, MSM, Evening Primrose Oil, resveratrol), green smoothies, and getting to the gym...Oh, and water...lots of water. The only thing I've been really diligent with for any length of time is the Retin-A and CPs...everything else I either just got or haven't been religious about. I'm expecting my first derma rollers any day now (.25 and a 1.5), and knowing what's been said about smokers not healing up to par, maybe rolling will be a waste of time too. Does anyone here smoke, yet see results with their reverse-aging routines?? Or can offer tips to counter the smoke until such time as I can quit?

Oh...I'm 50.

Thanks bunches!

I am a smoker, as well. I had great results with Obagi Nu Derm, both with elimination of pigmentation and great reduction in wrinkles, and improvement in sagging. I do get the reduction in wrinkles and improvement in my sagging when I stay on Retin A faithfully. However, when I go off Retin A my face deteriorates quickly, actually in about 1 months time. I think for smokers things take longer to kick in to work, but there are a lot of closet smokers on this and many forums who do get results from products. Again, it just takes a longer, and sometimes more aggressive approach. Using Retin A is your best "counter effect", but I would also add in an anti-oxidant at the opposite end of the day from your CP. The antioxidant will also help with smokers skin.
Sycamore
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi,
I smoke a lot, almost 2 packs a day. And yes, I see results. Especially Tanaka massage and facial acupressure helped to eliminate smokers' lines and facial sag, and OCM and dry brushing plus exfoliating helps with complexion color. Lately I have been told many times that I looked much younger than my real age is. A young colleague asked me how I did it with all those cigarettes. I know I should quit, but I am afraid of gaining weight.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:46 am      Reply with quote
Thanks all!

Riley, why do antioxidants at the opposite end of the day from CPs? I'm aware of the issue of CPs and vitamic C, but what about others? Do you recommend any specifically?

Sycamore, I'd not heard of facial acupressure. Tell me more, please.....

Thanks again!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:53 am      Reply with quote
bluugrass wrote:
Thanks all!

Riley, why do antioxidants at the opposite end of the day from CPs? I'm aware of the issue of CPs and vitamic C, but what about others? Do you recommend any specifically?

Thanks again!

No, I was thinking about a C when I said to use at the opposite end of the day. As far as I know there isn't any other ingredient to avoid with CP. I love Skinceuticals C, E, Ferulic, and I also love the CHAS serum from SAS.
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:48 am      Reply with quote
I read that smokers need (more potent) anti-oxidants. Something about countering all those free radicals from the smoke. If that makes any sense. Smile
Sycamore
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
As for acupressure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKcthwadUNo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owl_CHqG2y0&feature=fvst

But in the Japanese bone massage threads you can find very interesting Japanese facial massage videos. I alternate these massages, and prefer them to facial exercises.
Green smoothies are also very important for smokers.

As for antioxidants, I did not see a difference really when taking them, green smoothies work better for me.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
bluugrass,

Forget about quitting smoking. Enjoy your smokes. Savor them. Thinking about quitting just adds more stress to your life.

I'm a computer smoker Laughing That's where I smoke the most. I don't smoke outside, in the car or anywhere else in the house, just in the computer room.

I have considered quitting many times and have gone a few days without. Something would happen and I'd be right back puffing away. I figure I had a few smoke free days and that's good enough. I do liver/kidney detox sessions quarterly and when I do remember I take supplements. I figure at least I'm doing something to counteract whatever poison I'm inhaling.

Before I found this site I didn't do any facial or body maintenance, or not much. I figured I look the way I look and will have to live with that. Now, about four months later, after much reading this site (posters here are extremely intelligent!!)and trying new products, I look better, healthier (but not enough to be on any magazine cover). I'm happy and that's what matters.

I consider it a myth that one will gain weight when one quits. Consider the overweight people who smoke, why aren't they thin?

Eat correctly, exercise, keep on doing what you're doing and all will fall into place. Concentrate on getting your certificate!
Good luck!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Argh! The bloody cigs are my nemesis

The Bad;

- I've been regularly smoking for going on 47 years. Embarassed Shock

- I'm great at *quitting*! Sheeit, I've done it a hundred times. In fact my next target date is Mon. Sept 6th! Bad Grin

The Good;

- Ironic as it is, YES, I've seen many positive changes in my skin since finding this forum, and taking better care of my skin.

- I definitely got rid of the sallowness, and it's been replaced with a healthier looking pinkish tone.

- My 'smokers' vertical lip lines are no longer apparent at rest. (If I purse my lips, or use a straw for drinking I still see them, but not at any other time.)

- Not exactly a 'change' per se, but I still don't have any wrinkles at all on my face, other than a few crows feet when I laugh and a couple of vertical forehead lines. (I'd go as far as saying that they are *softer* now, then they were 3 years ago.)

What do I give the credit to; (In a nut shell)

- #1 Increasing the circulation (This is the most important thing (especially to smokers) because our circulation is comprimised with every puff. If you find ways to increase the circulation, this will counteract some of the damage that smoking contributes to. (Here's what I rely on in that regard; #1. Vaculifter, #2. Manual lymphatic massage, tapping, or any thing you can think of that makes your skin *pink*, #3. Deep breathing practices every few hours throughout the day and #4. LED use once or twice a week, which will increase the circulation and get that stagnant lymph flowing.

- #2 I haven't smoked indoors or in a car for more than 20 years. First of all it's gross in every way, but in regards to skin, the damage from every cigarette (in a confined room) lasts long after you put the cigarette out (IMHO)... All of those toxins that are floating in the air, will no doubt find their way to your skin (just the same as it stinks up fabrics etc..) ICK! Anyhoo, that is the conclusion I draw from being a 47 year smoker, who is 60 years old, and my skin still can hold it's own with many who are half my age. (Please don't take that as conceit because trust me when I tell you, my skin is the only thing I would even consider bragging about Laughing) It's just with all of us like minded folks here, I feel confident that maybe a few things I can share will help others, the way they have ((*shockingly*)) helped me.

- #3 A less is more approach to topicals has always made my skin respond the best. (If truth be told I never really used more than an occasional moisturizer or sunscreen, until 3 years ago when I found all you Bad Grin *b!tches* Bad Grin ... So bottom line for me in this regard, (after much trial and error) is that I've honestly found my holy grail in an extremely basic regime of 2 simple DIY serums, an oil or two, and a lactic acid mask or cream now and then. I don't use any of it everyday, and many days/nights I just simply enjoy a bare faced glow. (Essentially, I listen to what my skin asks for, and I proceed accordingly. Many days it asks to just be left alone... Laughing )

So that's my smokers tale at this point in time, and I hope to one day get to share what wonderful positive changes happen to the skin, when the bloody fags are tossed out once and for all.. Cool

P.S. Fruit/vegetable smoothies have definitely improved things in the skin arena.. (Gotta love those antioxidants!) How can I tell? Glad you asked Laughing .. In the last few months I've been woefully neglect with my smoothies, and my skin is a tad dry some days, and not as glowy as usual.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hi eyebright - A computer smoker Laughing I can see how that is.

Smoking does raise your bmr. So your metabolism is stoking faster if you smoke - which does burn calories. I used to work in NY for a designer in my previous career. We did a lot of shows and the thing I remember is how "blue" the dressing area could get. Many models smoke to keep weight down and hunger pangs at bay. My guess is all those overweight folks would be all the more overweight without the ciggies.

Smokers need a lot more Vitamin C since smoking depletes it in their bodies. I'd take 1000 mg a day at least.

Sycamore - I can see how Tanaka massage would help - Smoking decreases blood flow and the massage increases bloodflow so Tanaka offsets that negative effect of smoking. I think it is a terrific massage myself. And dry brushing is probably doing the same thing as well as exfoliating.

bluugrass I love CP's also (they are the mainstay for me for over 4 months now) - I think they are great. I have also used a C serum at the opposite end of the day.

My alternative (cheaper) to C & E ferulic from Skinceuticals which I used to use and love btw.... is to make Kassy's C serum formula. I saw the same results with hers - nothing less. And I was a faithful C & E ferulic user for a long time. I did not expect the results from Kassy's like I got. The best thing is you can make a years worth of Kassy's and still be cheaper than purchasing one C & E ferulic which lasts? a month or so. And you can make and give to friends too. It's such a deal...

Riley - Why do you no longer use Obagi? I know your results were great.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:

Riley - Why do you no longer use Obagi? I know your results were great.

I get a black nail on 1 hand after about 3 months use of HQ, and my liver enzymes start elevating. I do a yearly cycle, but I don't stay on maintenance.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
Smoking is so terrible in every single way. Not only are you harming yourself, but you are also harming others with second hand smoke. I really really cant stand the smell of cigarette smoke. So vile. There are a lot of people that still smell of cigarettes even when they're not smoking. I hate it when a coworker is a "smellable" smoker or I ever have to be near such a smoker for any reason.

It's basically really expensive poison and it's incredible that it's seen as sexy. Ridiculous that being fat is worse that being a smoker.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:46 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |