Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Finding Out That Sometimes Less is More in Skincare
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Blaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, all. Haven't been here in ages. I find that the more I hang out here, the more skincare I buy, so I took a hiatus! Smile

Anyway, I've decided to minimize my routine and it is working so much better for me, while saving me tons of $$$. My staples are Retin A, The Wave by Neutrogena, and Cetaphil. I've been using these for quite a while now, and have found that this is all I really need to keep that glowing, porcelain smooth skin.

For a change (when I get bored or just to switch it up), sometimes I would still use my old creams. Heck, even drugstore brands are working well in between. Eyecreams have become optional too, and I haven't suffered without it.

The point is, I keep going back to my staples. So for those who are looking to streamline their routine, just get a good manual exfoliator (Clarisonic or The Wave, etc.), Retina A, and a good moisturizer. Oh, sunblock. Don't forget sunblock. Your skin will thank you for the break from multiple daily treatments (like I used to do).

P.S. Just make sure to exercise, eat right, drink lots of water, relieve stress, and get ample sleep.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Blaze,

Although my products are a bit different I totally agree with your less is more approach! I recently said just that myself on one thread, I think some of the problems we see with irritation, drying ect. is possibly from just doing too much to the skin! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Dark Moon. Definitely agree with you re. the drying and irritation. Sometimes in our quest to be better and look better, we tend to overdo. It's a trial and error process. Nice hearing from you again.
Blaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
DM, I forgot to ask. What's your routine and products now? Please share.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
Blaze wrote:
Hi, Dark Moon. Definitely agree with you re. the drying and irritation. Sometimes in our quest to be better and look better, we tend to overdo. It's a trial and error process. Nice hearing from you again.

It's really great to see you back on the forum! Smile Thanks. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
Blaze wrote:
DM, I forgot to ask. What's your routine and products now? Please share.

A basic DIY LAA serum, Burt Bee's Ageless serum (red and white box) Burnout SS topped with Colorescience Orb SS AM

A THDA in Oil Serum Green Cream (when done starting retin a) PM

OCM for cleansing and when I want to wash Aloette's or Pur Minerals cleansers.

I have my iskin I use about once a week it's for exfoliation and my all time favorite mask is Garden Botanica's Activated Charcoal Mask which is not only really purifying but anti-aging!

I still have a load of skin care I bought that I need to use up or finally toss! LOL

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
Oh how funny. I'm just doing some catch up reading on the posts. I'm finding that there are many of us advocating for "less is more." Smile

Thanks for posting your routine and products, DM. Really appreciate it.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:47 am      Reply with quote
I also agree with the less is more approach. I think the skin can only "handle" so many products thrown at it at one time and it is probably better to rotate things while using less overall.
bordnfl2
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:13 am      Reply with quote
For me, less is more as well. I mainly use DIY C Serum, Retin A, my Clarisonic, sunscreen and a few different body moisturizers along with a microfiber cleansing cloth. I have an exfoliating cleaner that comes in a stick but I'm too lazy to go get the name and NCN Pro Pumpkin peel.

I love the ease of it all but even better, I like the way my skin is starting to look.
mowgli
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:48 am      Reply with quote
i'm just waiting to use up my products, then I am planning on sticking with a few tried and true products, namely:

retin-a
LRP sunscreen
Philosophy vitamin c powder mixed into sunscreen
Avon anew eye lift
Olay definity day cream

plus whatever oils I have to hand for no-retin days

It will simplify my routine no end, and def simplify my cupboard!

32, still using: OCM, vitc C, epidermx, ageless (for my lips), now added clarisonic, silk pillow and Aldi skincare! Skin is better than ever 31, medium olive skin, combination-oily. Staples: epidermx II, OCM, retin-a, vit c powder, facial exercises (ageless).
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:37 am      Reply with quote
i agree too....my skin looked great before i went on my anti-aging 'quest'..and i did damage to my skin (hyperpigmentation, dry patches etc) through overriding my intution and applying exfoliators (even those with no lab processed ingredients), using a few tools, etc....

now i'm back to the basics of what works (for me!)...using my hands for massage, acupressure points,etc... and basic non-electric tools..like brushes, gua sha scrappers, etc..as my 'gadgets'...and potenized/vibrational energy as my source of organically re-stimulating the rejuvenationof my skin.

i am still using my diy botanical oil and eo serums and adding a few 'energized/potenized' ready-made ones that are also simple botanicals with ormus minerals.....

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:47 am      Reply with quote
oh..and magnesium oil

....which is both a supplement and an incredible basic transdermal skincare product for me....talk about simplifying!!!

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:29 am      Reply with quote
I also working on simplifying my routine, but it's so hard! Everyone keeps saying Vit C is important! Niacinamide is also good! Oils, Retin A, Sunscreens! CPs are really working! Safetox is a must! Tanaka helps!... and on and on.. But even you reduce your routine to Vit C, Retin and sunscreen, next question is WHAT KIND ! Shock
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
I also working on simplifying my routine, but it's so hard! Everyone keeps saying Vit C is important! Niacinamide is also good! Oils, Retin A, Sunscreens! CPs are really working! Safetox is a must! Tanaka helps!... and on and on.. But even you reduce your routine to Vit C, Retin and sunscreen, next question is WHAT KIND ! Shock

For the C I think you need to go with what works with your skin type, and do you want to purchase or DIY! Niacinamide same issue IMO. CP's if they agree with your skin start with the gentlest and work up in strength some have not had good experiences with them so it's really personal as to whether to try them or not. I love oils so maybe I should say use what's recommended for your skin type! Smile I use OCM for years and a basic massage I learned while training for cosmetology school and it's served me well for years.
Retin A I am almost there after the Green Cream is used up, and following Rileygirl's advice to start with the lowest strength and work up, I will use a cream since I have very normal skin.
Sunscreen is one of the hardest to find what works best for you. I like the combination of Burnout and the Colorescience Orb.
I hope this helps and didn't confuse things more! Sad

5% products discount

Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
I love this thread! I also haven't been here for a while because I don't want to buy more beauty things. Have simplified my routine to retinol, moisturizer, sunscreen, cleanser and just bought a clarisonic. My skin seems to be much happier with using fewer things.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
MarthaB wrote:
I love this thread! I also haven't been here for a while because I don't want to buy more beauty things. Have simplified my routine to retinol, moisturizer, sunscreen, cleanser and just bought a clarisonic. My skin seems to be much happier with using fewer things.

Welcome back! Smile

I have found a self control (finally!) I just don't jump to buy every product that's raved about! But the forum is addictive so I really enjoy reading every one's experiences, and hopefully helping at least a little bit where I can. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
But the forum is addictive so I really enjoy reading every one's experiences, and hopefully helping at least a little bit where I can. Smile

Yes, the forum is to blame! Very Happy DarkMoon, I also have a ton of gadgets on top of these issues with topicals. And some of them are quite costly so it's hard to put them on a shelf and just stare at them. And a lot of EDS members confirm that some of them actually work!

But like jasminerosey said it's important not to override your own intuition by this overwhelming amount of information and I'm learning to listen to my own senses more than to anything else.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine,

I know it's very tempting indeed! The 2 gadgets I own are the iSkin and the cheapo dermawand both of which I owned prior to finding EDS! I found the forum while caring for my father and priorities dictated time and money spent elsewhere! So I suppose I dodged the bullet so to speak on buying much of any new skincare or gadgets.

I think listening to what your skin needs is always our best bet! Smile

I just love this place and sharing, learning and having a bit of fun while we are at it. Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
This forum is awesome! I've learned a great deal from all of you. Dark Moon hit it right on about self control Sometimes I just "have to have it" and find myself buying every new thing that gets a good review. The blame is all on me and no one else.

It's okay to try new things. That's how we find out what works for us. After trial and error (a lot for me), we find out what works and what doesn't. I still have some of my old stuff, too. I would use it when I want feel like a little change, not all at the same time. I keep going back to simple.

Glad to hear I have some sisters here who like it simple,too! Take care.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
Blaze wrote:

It's okay to try new things. That's how we find out what works for us. After trial and error (a lot for me), we find out what works and what doesn't.

Exactly. Without the trial and error a person wouldn't know what works for them or not, as there doesn't seem to be 1 thing that works for everyone.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Blaze wrote:

It's okay to try new things. That's how we find out what works for us. After trial and error (a lot for me), we find out what works and what doesn't.

Exactly. Without the trial and error a person wouldn't know what works for them or not, as there doesn't seem to be 1 thing that works for everyone.

Absolutely I will still try new products, it's just a question of editing somewhat. I think it's all too common to jump on every new thing that is out there and then not even being able to find a way to use it all. Also just overloading our skin with too much all at one time. Smile

5% products discount

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:09 am      Reply with quote
Dark Moon is right. Just have to stop buying everything everyone raves about.
MarthaB
5% products discount

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:09 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon you're right. There are a lot of good products out there and everyone's skin is different. So what works for one person raving about a product may do nothing for me. More self control. Still enjoy reading all the reviews.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |