Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

REALLY need your help guys. So upset, advice needed
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Littleness
5% products discount

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:27 am      Reply with quote
Pokerlady88,

Yes I do agree that some sensitive skin types should be very very cautious with retina (or maybe not use it at all). I personally would never use prescription, however I have been liking the Paula's choice products. Her 1% Clinical Retinol is strong, but it's usable for at least a few nights a week. I ended up being able to work back into my routine since my skin went back to normal after a few days. I'm using every other night, and paying extra careful attention to how my skin looks. If I notice something looking not right, I'll scale back the Retinol for sure.

I've also decided to completely stop glycolic. Just because my skin looked good when i first used it, doesn't mean it's a good product for my skin. I've noticed that BHAs are much kinder to my face, so I've been using the PC 2% BHA lotion. Again, paying careful attention to the way my skin responds, and will definitely scale back as needed.

I also think we're a product of our environment and experiences. With regards to anything, really. And my experience has been that I am friends with women in their mid-upper 40s with literally PERFECT skin. One woman is my personal hero, she's a makeup artist. She looks 28. And she gets regular peels, and uses Retinol (I think she's been using all PTR products for at least the past decade). I mean this woman is beautiful. Another friend of mine is 48 and could definitely pass for early 30s. Again, all good skin care for these ladies. I don't even think their diets are all that clean. Could be good genes? I do wonder how much of a role genetic disposition plays.

On the other hand, my mom is 68 and people mistake her for 40s almost daily. And she's actually never used Retinol or chemical exfoliants. So that's saying something too! Maybe I'm just freaking out way too much and too soon about nothing? Like I'm creating issues that I didn't have previously by using actives?

*sigh* turning 40 isn't easy on anyone I don't think.
My plan for now is to continue using the PC products and carefully pay attention to skin reactions. Now I know what to look for, and I know the potential effects these products could have on my skin of overused.

Anyway sorry for the rant. I love these threads and all you ladies are so wonderful, kind, and wise. Thank you everyone for your comments!
BrokenPorEcelain
5% products discount

Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:53 am      Reply with quote
Anyone else recover from this?
What a nightmare.
I just want it to end.
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
BrokenPorEcelain wrote:
Anyone else recover from this?
What a nightmare.
I just want it to end.

How is your skin? I believe your post was written in 2012? So I am wondering if you had any improvement and how you are doing?

5% products discount

Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
Me?
No, I actually had this happen in 2016 (end of August/early September)
I have still not gotten any better.
I am scheduled to see (5th!) derm soon that I am being referred to by the 4th derm I went to see.
So we will see how that goes.
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
BrokenPorEcelain wrote:
Me?
No, I actually had this happen in 2016 (end of August/early September)
I have still not gotten any better.
I am scheduled to see (5th!) derm soon that I am being referred to by the 4th derm I went to see.
So we will see how that goes.

Sorry, someone else I suppose. Good luck to and I hope you get the help you need, I'm sure you will be fine. Please keep us informed.

5% products discount

Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:28 am      Reply with quote
Hello all,

The original poster first posted in 2010, and we haven't heard back from her. I'd love to know how she's doing!

But in the meantime, "I'm" here (haha) and am happy to share my recovery story.

My skin definitely recovered. I'm pretty sure there's *almost* no such thing as "permanent damage" when using topical products. It took time, trial and error, and diet change. I also added in Vital Proteins collagen powder (please check them out!), and I take Barleans Evening Primrose/Flaxseed Oil blend almost nightly (the oil blend was due to hormone imbalance, but I think it's also helped my skin somewhat).
I'm still using MUAC Greet Tea face wash/toner pretty regularly, although it does dry me out somewhat. So I'll mix with coconut oil several times a week (for the wash), and I'll add pure witch hazel to my toner or use it alone, as a toner. I've also added in an essence and rose water spray, for hydration.
I'm using Peter Thomas Roth 3% Retinoid, which is pricey but lasts 4-5 months.
I also started using organic products from Vasseur skin care; currently using their Mandellic acid almost nightly (which is waaaay more mild than conventional glycolic).

The only complaint I have is that my hyperpigmentation isn't going anywhere. I stopped Vitamin C bc honestly, I never found any that actually worked, and they were drying me out.

Sunscreen I use is either Goddess Garden or Badger sunscreen stick. Both have extremely high levels of Zinc, which is needed. I apply once in am and once before I leave work to go workout (because driving). During the summer, I'll usually apply a third time once I'm done working out, and I leave for the night and it's still sunny out.

I get mistaken for anywhere from 25-32 almost daily. And when I wear makeup, people have thought I was early 20s (not sure why but I'll take it). I am content with my skin at this time.
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
That is fantastic news! Congratulations and thanks for sharing your storey.

5% products discount

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you! Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely 100% thrilled with my skin. But I don't think I ever will be. Saying that I'm content is way beyond anything I ever imagined, so I'd say content is good.
Like I said, I still have HP issues that don't seem to be getting better no matter what I use (so if anyone has recommendations I'd love to hear), and the skin under my eyes is super-hyper-sensitive/reactive and can get irritated VERY EASILY, and therefore there are fine lines there that are more visible some days over others.
I just wanted to let everyone know that your skin does get better! Just give it time, patience, and care. Smile
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
Littleness wrote:
Thank you! Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely 100% thrilled with my skin. But I don't think I ever will be. Saying that I'm content is way beyond anything I ever imagined, so I'd say content is good.
Like I said, I still have HP issues that don't seem to be getting better no matter what I use (so if anyone has recommendations I'd love to hear), and the skin under my eyes is super-hyper-sensitive/reactive and can get irritated VERY EASILY, and therefore there are fine lines there that are more visible some days over others.
I just wanted to let everyone know that your skin does get better! Just give it time, patience, and care. Smile

I used to have bad acne and skin is always a work-in-progress. I will never be satisfied with my skin and I get "your skin is beautiful" comments and I don't wear foundation of any kind. I have HP issues too, nothing seems to work but I will keep trying.

5% products discount

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
bugaboo wrote:
Littleness wrote:

I used to have bad acne and skin is always a work-in-progress. I will never be satisfied with my skin and I get "your skin is beautiful" comments and I don't wear foundation of any kind. I have HP issues too, nothing seems to work but I will keep trying.

I think the fact that you don't wear any foundation speaks for itself. I don't wear any either, and whenever I complain about my skin, I hear "you don't even have to wear foundation!".
I mean I don't know..we're our worst critics right?
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:32 am      Reply with quote
You are so right Littleness, I want expect to be flawless like a magazine photo which is ridiculous I know. I actually saw a photo of Christie Turlington and they left in her eye and mouth wrinkles. She looked like a real person and not plastic.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
You are a spring chicken. Young. So?, you got a little obsessed. No worries. Your skin will repair itself. You need to step back and lay off all the different products until your skin gets back to normal.

I don't know what to tell you to do. For me I always go natural with coconut oil. It is natural has anti bacterial properties and absorbs into the skin and has a healing nature.

I'd use CeRave cleanser and a soft cloth on your face and them moisturize throughout the day with coconut oil. Go back to your clarsonic when your face heals.

Then give it time to recover.. six weeks or so. Then..i'd go back to your original routine when you loved your skin..and just stop at that.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:35 am      Reply with quote
And thinner fair skin should be cautious too! I learned about using retin A/renova the hard way as it brought about rosacea and broken caps.
Some skin types can handle it well but thinner/fair/sensitive skin cannot.
Derms are just now figuring about the correlation and are more hesitant (or should be) in prescribing it for those skin type.
I love Dr. Hauska, Phyto C, Decleor for sensitive skin. Basic wash and not overly harsh scrubbing or exfoliates. And a good sunscreen, and hydrator.
Time and tender loving care is also what it needs at this point.

5% products discount

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:19 am      Reply with quote
Any updates?
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:47 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |