Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

B Kamins Clear Control Purifying Masque (120 g / 4 oz) glominerals Trio Collection (3 items) RevitaLash Simply Stunning Lashes (2 items)
mixing foundation with sunscreen?

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
azalea
5% products discount

Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
So I think I've found my perfect sunscreen - it's not shiny, has a high PPD and isn't causing me to breakout. The only thing is that it leaves me looking like a geisha. So I was thinking of taking a much darker foundation and mixing a drop or two in with my sunscreen. I've checked the ingredients in the foundation and sunscreen and neither clash with each other.

Has anyone tried this and found that they're still protected by the sunscreen?
LatteQueen
5% products discount

Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
I certainly don't see why this would pose a problem??? I usually mix some products together. I mix my Avon's Face Perfector with my photoready foundation to save several steps..works just fine for me..

5% products discount

Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
well often ingredients in foundations can interfere with sunscreen filters. for example, avobenzone is deactivated when mixed with octinoxate or titanium dioxide (which are in most SPF foundations). also, the film forming properties of the sunscreen would probably be disrupted by adding new ingredients to it.

the good thing is that my new sunscreen doesn't contain avobenzone and only has tinosorbs and octinoxate, with some ti dioxide and zinc in it. the foundation that i want to use has octinoxate, so i'm wondering/hoping that it will be ok to mix the two. maybe i'll try out a dot of the foundation/ss mix on my hand and compare it's protective properties to the ss alone.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:05 am      Reply with quote
I would not mix anything with your SS because you will be diluting the protection.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:11 am      Reply with quote
I've never tried this, but maybe you could mix some mineral powder with it to give it some color.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
Would you be willing to share the name of your perfect sunscreen containing titanium dioxide as I'm still looking for my HG. Thanks! Smile
azalea
5% products discount

Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:25 am      Reply with quote
^ It's Avene lait with tinosorbs SPF 40, but I think it's only available in Canada.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:08 am      Reply with quote
why don't you buy a foundation with spf? A lot of places carry foundation with spf. Also remember that make-up will filter UV too

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:33 am      Reply with quote
Totally agree with BCgirl. Why use two when one will do? You're wasting your money. And to mix the two together would negate the protection. The less you have on your face the better especially if its hot.
azalea
5% products discount

Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:53 am      Reply with quote
Actually, in order to get the labeled protection (ie, SPF 15, 30, etc and especially, the UVA protection) you have to use 1/4th tsp for your face. That much foundation would firstly look incredibly cakey and probably won't provide all that much UVA protection anyway.
luvyourskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:27 am      Reply with quote
I've done it lots of times especially when I just want light coverage. Many make up artists have recommended this in articles I've read, which is why I tried it in the first place
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:49 am      Reply with quote
You have to blend very well. Foundations are so nice now, that they just meld with your skin. Its an option instead of doubling up or diluting sun screen.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Smile

I always put sunscreen before I even put on liquid make-up. It works for me well. I don't think I can go out outside without any protection, more so no make-up.

---------------
Has anyone tried this and found that they're still protected by the sunscreen?[/quote]
System
Automatic Message
Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:49 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Payot Design Ultra Lift Remodelling Lifting Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) Skincerity Nightly Breathable Masque (29.6 ml / 1 floz) Donell A+Q10 Cream (2.5 oz)