Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
raw honey as cleanser
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
I have read so many good things about using raw honey or Manuka honey as a mask/spot treatment but have found limited information about using it as a cleanser. Does anybody here use it to cleanse?
My skin seems to be crazy sensitive and dry and, while breakout prone, reacts badly to most cleansers I have tried Sad
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
I used Manuka honey as a cleanser in the mornings for a few months. It worked well enough. Keep in mind it wouldn't remove dirt, sunscreen or makeup so is best suited to morning use or as a mask (which I've also done successfully).
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:23 am      Reply with quote
How can honey work as a cleanser? It would be a sticky problem. Using it as a blemish fighter may work, but I would place a bandaid over it.
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:52 am      Reply with quote
You use it on wet skin so it's not that sticky. You just massage it about then rinse.
bellableu
5% products discount

Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:11 am      Reply with quote
I use honey as a cleanser regularly - it works very well. As previously mentioned, probably not for makeup removal or heavy sunscreens, but otherwise it's great.

41 y.o., fair, dry, sensitive, mild to moderate rosacea (inflammatory *and* flushing). Minimalist approach to skincare is working for me. Interested in gentle anti-aging treatments (acupressure, massage, exercise, LED) Smile
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:42 am      Reply with quote
Very Happy That sounds great, bellableu! I don't use sunscreen (I know I know) or make up, so won't have problems with that.
I'm really looking for something non-irritating since I seem to be allergic to every cleanser I'm buying. Quality products, too, such a shame Sad

Which honey do you use? I just got Raw Honey from Whole Foods, I think it's by Y.S. Organic Bee Farms and it's Grade A honey.
Do you just wet hands and face, take a blob of honey and massage it gently?
What skin type do you have?

I'm going to try a tiny patch first as a 'mask' to see what happens.

Oh, I hope this will calm my skin down Pray
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
I used Manuka honey as a cleanser in the mornings for a few months. It worked well enough. Keep in mind it wouldn't remove dirt, sunscreen or makeup so is best suited to morning use or as a mask (which I've also done successfully).

Josh, did it help your skin calm down? From your sig it seems we have a similar skin type. Did it help with breakouts?
bellableu
5% products discount

Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
Penta wrote:
Very Happy That sounds great, bellableu! I don't use sunscreen (I know I know) or make up, so won't have problems with that.
I'm really looking for something non-irritating since I seem to be allergic to every cleanser I'm buying. Quality products, too, such a shame Sad

Which honey do you use? I just got Raw Honey from Whole Foods, I think it's by Y.S. Organic Bee Farms and it's Grade A honey.
Do you just wet hands and face, take a blob of honey and massage it gently?
What skin type do you have?

I'm going to try a tiny patch first as a 'mask' to see what happens.

Oh, I hope this will calm my skin down Pray

Hi Penta,

I have sensitive rosacea skin that loves honey. Plain raw honey & manuka honey both calm my skin down nicely. Hope it works for you!

As a cleanser, I use it one of two ways: straight, on damp skin; or in a cleanser of my own concoction (honey, aloe juice, a touch of decyl glucoside, a touch of preservative). Straight is for when my skin is super-reactive.

Smile

41 y.o., fair, dry, sensitive, mild to moderate rosacea (inflammatory *and* flushing). Minimalist approach to skincare is working for me. Interested in gentle anti-aging treatments (acupressure, massage, exercise, LED) Smile
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:00 am      Reply with quote
Penta,

It does help to calm my skin and it does help with breakouts. When my skin is reacting badly to something I usually use it as a mask - so apply to clean skin with a drop of water, leave for 10 minutes or so then rinse. Note though that my results are from using Manuka honey with a UMF of 18 or higher. It has stronger anti-bacterial and anti-microbial activity and seems to work a *lot* better than raw honey.
alishaerin

Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:24 am      Reply with quote
Honey's natural antioxidant and anti-microbial properties help to protect the skin from the damage of the sun's rays, supports the skin's ability to rejuvenate and refresh depleted skin, leaving it feeling silky soft

Honey also offers incredible antiseptic, antioxidant and cleansing properties for our body and health.

One of the most common natural skin care benefits with honey is related to treatment of minor acne acne which could be caused by hormonal changes.

Honey is widely used in skin care products...Its best natural thing for your skin... Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Tallisa
5% products discount

Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:41 am      Reply with quote
I have heard of honey being used as an exfoliater when its mixed with a crushed up aspirin tablet. So I guess thats a kind of cleanser.
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
So I did a patch test on a small blemish yesterday night and this morning it was gone! Shock Like it had never been there at all. I hope it wasn't a fluke!

The honey got reaaaally runny, though, and I got it all over my sofa! I wonder how to do a mask with it, it just runs and drips all over the shop.

So far, so good!

Josh, yes, I heard Manuka honey is way stronger. I wanted to try regular raw honey first before I 'upgrade'. Why did you stop using it as a cleanser if you don't mind me asking?

Bellableu, that sounds really good. I am excited!
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
Unfortunately there's not much you can do about it running. Adding a little kaolin (or other powdered clay) does stop it if you wanted to try that.

I stopped because I travel a lot (often weekly) and it's too inconvenient having lots of products. I try to find products that multitask (I use my current cleanser to wash my face, hair and body). I still use it as a mask about once a week though, when I'm home.
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:47 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, Josh. Oh my, face, body, and hair! That sounds great!
What do you use?
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:00 am      Reply with quote
La Roche-Posay Lipikar Syndet
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
If your skin is very sensitive I saw online that Jane Iredale had this washing mitt for the face you use without soap and it supposedly works well without cleansers.

I am using Mario Badescu seaweed soap/cleanser and find that is good for sensitive skin.
it does not foam, and does not dry out my skin.
Weird thing is it has actual seaweed bits in it and if you use a washcloth the seaweed bits get all over it,so i usually rinse w a paper towel first,then finish a a washcloth.
seems to remove makeup well..have not tried in eye area.
yofie
5% products discount

Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:43 am      Reply with quote
Some people swear by honey for spots and as a mask to help moisturize and tighten skin. I have only used it once and while it made my skin super smooth it didn't really clear up anything. But if it works for you, awesome!
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:52 am      Reply with quote
Can I use just a regular honey? I am not sure what is raw honey??
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:14 am      Reply with quote
You can but it's effects may not be as strong. Raw honey is honey which hasn't been heat treated or pasteurized.
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Where can I get a raw honey? Whole food store??
Josh wrote:
You can but it's effects may not be as strong. Raw honey is honey which hasn't been heat treated or pasteurized.
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:42 am      Reply with quote
Probably. Try Google.
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:04 am      Reply with quote
I got my raw honey at Whole Foods. Going to try and get some manuka, though Very Happy
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:11 am      Reply with quote
Josh, where did you get your Manuka honey from?
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
I'm in the UK and just got it from a health food store. Some supermarkets over here carry it too.
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Pentra and Josh....
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |