Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Hairstyles that will make you look 10 years younger
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:52 am      Reply with quote
http://www.allure.com/magazine/2010/04/anti_aging_hairstyles?mbid=synd_yshopping#slide=1

Follow the slides for comparisons between which style makes you look older vs younger.

I disagree with the assessment on Reese Witherspoon's hair style that they claimed made her look older (slide #11). I didn't see any difference between the two looks of hers.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
Natalyn,
Thanks for sharing that link; it was fun to look at the different hairstyles deemed "older" and "younger." I think a lot also depends on facial bone structure and, of course, hair type -- thick, thin, curly, straight-- as to what works.

I agree that the bun looking do's made most look older. I can't see wearing one myself. And I agree with Jennifer Aniston's assessment: She seems beautiful and youthful no matter what hairstyle!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Natalyn,
Thanks for sharing that link; it was fun to look at the different hairstyles deemed "older" and "younger." I think a lot also depends on facial bone structure and, of course, hair type -- thick, thin, curly, straight-- as to what works.

I agree that the bun looking do's made most look older. I can't see wearing one myself. And I agree with Jennifer Aniston's assessment: She seems beautiful and youthful no matter what hairstyle!

I agree it was fun to look at the hairstyles, but I disagree with most of the assesments! Especially with "Slicking your hair into a tight bun might be easy, but it's also matronly" and "Flat hair is flattering to no one. Period". This is a complete nonsense!
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
I have flat hair now since I just straightened my hair a few months ago, so I kinda shuddered to think I must be looking old. Yikes! I guess you can't state something so absolute like the article, but then there is definitely a no-no hairstyle for me personally, and some celebs succumb to the same problem.

kims, I agree with you a lot depend on your facial bone structure etc.

Jen spends $10k on hair, so I guess I can't really ask what would Jen do since I don't have that kind of money.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
It was fun to look at the pictures. I think the bottom line for that article is that the looser/almost messier the hair, the younger one looks.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
It was fun to look at the pictures. I think the bottom line for that article is that the looser/almost messier the hair, the younger one looks.

What's funny is you see tons of both stick straight and slicked back hair on runway models who are mostly in their teens and early twenties? Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:

I just stumbled across in which the blogger shares a lot of tips on how to have long, messy "sexy" hair after 40:

http://maturebeauty.com/tag/anti-aging/page/14/
fairy_dreams
5% products discount

Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing! It was interesting to see that volume + loose + messy = younger look.

I guess it could apply the other way as well Wink People who want to look more mature can put their hair back or slick it into a tight bun. Lots of teens do this for their proms.
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:25 am      Reply with quote
I wonder if the article is trying to say once you hit 40s, you need to watch out more for hairstyles that will make you look older vs younger.

When you are in your 20s or early 30s, you are more flexible to do whatever since you have that youthful expression that shows through in your skin and everything about you, so you don't have to try to look younger.
luckylouie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
The only problem I have with these "how to look younger" sorts of articles is that they assume that everyone wants to look younger all of the time. Now as someone in her late 40's, yes I do want to look youthful but really, can't we have some fun playing with our looks as well? Often what is referred to as a younger look (and this goes for the hairstyles they are showing in the article) is simply a more casual look, but sometimes it's fun to dress up with dark lipstick and slicked back hair. I don't always want to look tousled. I for one intend to make fashion faux pas and regularly dress inappropriately until I die.

PS - have a look at the blog Advanced Style to see photos of older New Yorkers dressed in their fabulous best, ranging from conservative to avante garde.
zhoushuhappy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:01 am      Reply with quote
maybe a good hair style can makes us younger.
Bermie
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:32 am      Reply with quote
That was interesting, thanks

loved Jennifer Garner's 'younger' do..

it definately looks like loose and messy is the way to go...I can never quite manage that 'groomed' messy do..lol
havana8

Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
There are some fantastic before & after hair makeovers shown here: Smile
http://www.prevention.com/5-hair-style-makeovers/?cm_mmc=Spotlight-_-01272011-_-Lifelong%20Beauty-_-Age-Reversing%20Hair%20Makeovers%20Youll%20Love
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
There are some fantastic before & after hair makeovers shown here: Smile
http://www.prevention.com/5-hair-style-makeovers/?cm_mmc=Spotlight-_-01272011-_-Lifelong%20Beauty-_-Age-Reversing%20Hair%20Makeovers%20Youll%20Love

This is excellent! I just love seeing befores and afters....I think it is amazing what a hair style and color can do for someone. I have kept some photos of myself and hairstyles and go back and wonder...what in the world was I thinking? Laughing We all need a truthful friend to tell us what we really look like....it is so easy to not REALLY Shock see ourselves.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
We all need a truthful friend to tell us what we really look like....it is so easy to not REALLY Shock see ourselves.

Isn't that the truth, Toby! Laughing Shock
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
havana8, thanks for the great make-over link! Very Happy
barololover

Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
I loved Jennifer Garner's "younger" look, too!

I thought a lot of the text in the feature was incorrect. Example: Calling a cut blunt when it was layered, just not styled to accentuate the layers; calling SJP's color "single-process" when it's highly, highly doubtful it was, it was just darker; calling long, sideswept bangs on Reese short and wispy.

What's funny is the "afters" in Prevention have wispy, shorter bangs. I am especially sensitive to this as I have them at age 39. Smile
macropis
5% products discount

Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
I disagreed with many of the photo captions. I thought their opinions were completely arbitrary.
Time2Bme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
What I found most interesting on the link was that there was no mention of shorter hair. Almost all articles about hair styles and age say that women shouldn't have long hair.

ITA with others - bone structure, healthy hair, etc etc determine what makes you look younger. Whatever the style if it suits you, it suits you. If it doesn't, it won't be flattering.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
Time2Bme wrote:
What I found most interesting on the link was that there was no mention of shorter hair. Almost all articles about hair styles and age say that women shouldn't have long hair.

ITA with others - bone structure, healthy hair, etc etc determine what makes you look younger. Whatever the style if it suits you, it suits you. If it doesn't, it won't be flattering.

Long hair looks great on celebs because of all the maintenance and upkeep they do. However realistically most women are dragged down by really long hair after 35.
More magazine online has a hair section... there are a lot of shorter cuts:
http://www.more.com/beauty/hair
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:15 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |