Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
laser hair removal or electrolysis
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Snowie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:16 am      Reply with quote
hi everyone,

i've looked into laser hair removal and electrolysis... there are pros and cons for both (ie.. cost and time, effectiveness, etc)

i would like to know if any of you could share your experiences with me regarding your personal recommendations and the reason(s) why you chose that recommendation in terms of hair removal

I need your thoughts and input to help myself make a decision on which procedure to take... i'm interested in removing hair from the underarm, legs, and bikini region since i am fed up with waxing... and i have never been a shaver.

thanks in advance Smile
zephyr
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:31 am      Reply with quote
I'm curious too. I've checked into laser for my legs, underarms, etc. and pretty much have it "on my list" of things to do. But I need to save up the $$$!

I don't do waxing at all, and hate shaving my legs. In winter, when we're all covered up anyway, I've been known to go for two-three months without shaving my legs, I hate it that much.

Laser/electrolysis, even though the up-front cost is high, just seems like a lower-maintenance way to go in the long run...

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:49 am      Reply with quote
I've had every type of hair removal so I guess I'm qualified to answer this one. Very Happy

The questions that you need to answer is how much hair you have, what colour it is and what your skin tone is.

If your hair is blonde or grey, forget laser and IPL for removal methods - it will not work. Electrolysis is the only long-term option for such hair.

If you have dark hair, laser and IPL become options and the paler your skin, the faster your results will be. based on my experience, this would be my recommendations:

For medium sized areas, such as bikini and under arms get laser (not IPL) to achieve as much total clearance as possible (4 to 5 treatments). For large areas, eg. legs and arms, cause as much damage as possible to the hairs with one or two laser treatments. Continue with laser if you can afford it but if not, switch to maintenance.

Maintenence involves buying a home-IPL device. I have the Silk'n but there are some interesting reviews of the VISS system on the forum. Use this as required to keep the treated areas clear. This involves shaving and zapping - not very often so there is not a big overhead in terms of time.

This pretty much describes how I've gotten rid of my body hair - I've gone from being quite hairy to quite hairless and the upkeep is easy.

Facial hair is trickier as it tends to be finer and finer hair doesn't respond as well to laser or IPL. Laser will remove all the hair though - blonde ones included - and regrowth will be slow. Electrolysis by a skilled therapist will give permanent results though. There is also Vaniqa cream to extend hair removal efforts. I have a tube of this but have never tried it!

If excess hair is a real problem for you, you may want to ask your doctor about taking spironolactone. It is a drug though so needs serious consideration.

HTH

Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:17 am      Reply with quote
If you get laser hair removal, make sure you go to someone with a good amount of experience and relatively new equipment. Any equipment that is over 4 years old or that costs less than $50K should be a concern.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Snowie wrote:
hi everyone,

i've looked into laser hair removal and electrolysis... there are pros and cons for both (ie.. cost and time, effectiveness, etc)

i would like to know if any of you could share your experiences with me regarding your personal recommendations and the reason(s) why you chose that recommendation in terms of hair removal

I need your thoughts and input to help myself make a decision on which procedure to take... i'm interested in removing hair from the underarm, legs, and bikini region since i am fed up with waxing... and i have never been a shaver.

thanks in advance Smile

My friend living in Melbourne decided that he wanted to get rid of his "hair" in his ears and went for electrolysis. I can tell you that it was good for couple of weeks, but it came back again. Electrolysis is not a permanent solution. I think if these things don't bother you at all, then perhaps you can ignore these? Smile
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
Snowie wrote:
hi everyone,

thanks in advance Smile

My friend decided to go for electrolysis on both of his ears. It was good for a couple of weeks, but the hair in his ears came back. Electrolysis is not a permanent solution. I think if it does not bother you, then ignore it.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
My friend decided to go for electrolysis on both of his ears. It was good for a couple of weeks, but the hair in his ears came back. Electrolysis is not a permanent solution. I think if it does not bother you, then ignore it.

Snowie wrote:
hi everyone,

thanks in advance Smile
PosyLee
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
jade-1234 wrote:

Electrolysis is permanent but it requires repeated treatments to be effective.

Having ear hair removed by electrolysis sounds like a very painful option. If the hair is dark I would recommend laser.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:36 am      Reply with quote
I had electrolysis on my eyebrows a few years ago and it was awesome.
It does take a few treatments as the hair grows in 3 stages, so you have to zap it with the root in order for it not to grow back.
For a small area, go with electrolysis.
SecretB5StopsAcne
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:11 am      Reply with quote
The use of low intensity laser light is among the latest high-tech methods of getting rid of facial hair on women, but also the most costly. When done under the guidance of a trained professional, this method of hair removal can be relatively painless, with some temporary redness or swelling of the treated area as the only side effects. Most facial hair can be removed in one treatment. This is a good permanent solution to the problem of unwanted facial hair.
Anne19
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
Snowie wrote:
hi everyone,

thanks in advance Smile

Snowie, I'm assuming you've made a decision by now, but if you haven't, I would highly recommend going with electrolysis, it's much safer than lasers. Please see this forum for laser damage victims to learn about the dangers http://iplandlaserdamagesupport.prophpbb.com/

5% products discount

Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
I shall echo what others have said: small areas - go for electrolysis. Larger ones, laser or IPL.

I have to say though - electrolysis on top lip is like torture. For me the discomfort is double fold because the practitioners hand is so close to my nose - so I start feeling suffocated... and it hurts so badly! Especially as you get to the center. In the past - I have chickened out and would rather look like charlie chaplin than experience that pain..

laser isn't a walk in the park either. Its not as bad and the pain doesn't last as long nor is it intense. When they say its like flicking an elastic band on skin - it really is! But you get used to it.

IPL is the least painful in my experience.

In terms of results: You definitely need multiple treatments with all - although results appeared more quickly with IPL for me.

Another thing I tried (sorry can't remember the name of this) was 'radio waves'. It was the same price as electrolysis - but in my opinion it as actually a con. The device is really a pair of tweezers that apparently conduct a radiowave that vibrates the root of the hair so much it falls out... well... after one session I did feel very duped and robbed. The sales lady insisted for best results I needed to use a cream that cost £18 before my next appointment.. which I did since i don't like to act like I'm poor... and then when i got home and reflected on it - i realised the lady had only tweezed my moustache - nothing more! And that cost me £10 + the £18 cream... had I gone with electrolysis - sure it would have been more painful, physically - financially it would have been easier to handle!
PosyLee
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:57 am      Reply with quote
If the pain of laser/electrolysis is an issue for you, treat the area with EMLA cream prior to the appointment. This is available on prescription in the UK.

5% products discount

Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi I've been going for a laser hair removal on arms, underarms and bikini line. I haven't completed the whole course so I'm not hair less as yet but the hair now grows much thinner and less of it so I don't need to shave as often. I'm considering having it done on my legs as well. If you decide to go for laser just make sure you do some research on finding a good professional salon. Otherwise you could either end up with treatment that doesn't work due to the machine or inexperienced stuff or even worse with burns! Also you shouldn't go on the sun before or after treatment so the ideal time for doing laser is over the winter months.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
What about numbing cream? That's what I used when I went for laser hair removal for my bikini ....it helped..not totally..but can't imagine doing it without. So with electrolysis..why not use it also.

btw...laser hair removal worked for me..it has been amazing.

I think what they're saying..is if you have just a few stray hairs on your face...get the electrolysis..but I couldn't imagine that process for something like the bikini area ...legs or arms..
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:08 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |