Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
CO hair care how-to questions
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jess111

Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
Hi-I've been following the CO threads for a while now, and after reading the recipe including the suave coconut conditioner vs. the pricey Wen, I finally took the plunge. I just had a few questions I couldn't seem to find answers to, even though I tried searching.

I did up a batch of the suave coconut conditioner + honey + a little water and a little ACV. (This is after doing the molasses hair mask yesterday that I read about here also). I have horrible, poker-straight-but-with-a-crappy-texture baby fine hair that I have to wash daily, because even letting it go in the am after washing late in the pm, I wake up a big greaseball looking like I haven't showered in weeks.

My results on day 1 were less than stellar, but I'm going to try again tomorrow. I feel greasy, and my hair never felt clean this morning, but I rinsed like a crazy person. I have a bottle of suave humectant that i may try tomorrow plain to see how it goes. I had odd cowlicks, hair was its usual dull self, so we'll see how it goes.

So here are my questions, if anyone can help. I absolutely have to shower daily. Can I do the CO cleansing daily if I can stick with this? Or do I have to do it only every few days?

Also, my big chunky highlights are getting pretty pricey to maintain, so I was thinking about just buying some dark brown toner, and blending them in some. For those of you that color, when washing out hair color or toner, do you then have to use shampoo? Or do you stay on the CO program and condition like usual?

TIA for any help!
jess111

Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
OK, so I goofed. Tuesday I planned to try this with the suave humectant conditioner (it was only day 2) but accidentally reached for shampoo and didn't realize till I was full lather. I tried the humectant this morning, but have to say, my hair was pretty flat and greasy. I know I have read to give it some time and that hair goes through the uglies while adjusting, but I don't know if you can at least get a feel for conditioner right away. Tomorrow I will go back to that suave coconut mix I made. But can anyone help me with the questions in my first post. I am really thinking about toning down these highlights, so am wondering if I will need shampoo to rinse it out, since that will defeat my attempts here.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:58 am      Reply with quote
I use suave coconut conditioner as is. If you add anything to it I wouldnt add water to it.

Are you leaving it in your hair long enough? CO does require a bit more time then regular shampoo.
havana8

Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
jess111 wrote:
So here are my questions, if anyone can help. I absolutely have to shower daily. Can I do the CO cleansing daily if I can stick with this? Or do I have to do it only every few days?

Yes! You can do it every day or twice a week--it's totally up to you and your hair and you may want to experiment a bit. I agree, though, that it does take a bit of time to figure out how your hair is responding over the long haul. Smile

Adding to GirlieGirl's question, have you tried using straight Suave and are you using enough?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
Your problem is you're using suave humectant. It's totally different from suave coconut conditioner. The humectant is just not going to work as a cleanser, it's too rich. You have to use the suave coconut, or the suave clarifying conditioner.

Also make sure you're using enough apple cider vinegar and water. The apple cider vinegar is what should be taking care of the oil. The end result (the suave coconut+ water+ apple cider vinegar+ honey) should have a somewhat thin almost watery consistency and that's ok.

Also, if your hair is oily, there's nothing wrong with taking a little shampoo and using it on your scalp (because the roots are what's oily).

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice. I don't really think I'm getting the hang of this so don't know if I'm doing it right. Each time I am massaging in for a few minutes, using a big handful of conditioner applied to wet hair, let sit for 5-10 minutes, and then rinsed out really well.

I tried using the plain suave coconut conditioner I had removed from the bottle to add the splash of ACV, water, and the honey. One day I rinsed with ACV after using this method. Hair looked ok, but not great.

Then I tried the plain suave again. Eh results. Maybe not as good as with ACV rinse, not sure. I think the ACV made it look a little cleaner.

Then today, and maybe yesterday, I used the mix again. Eh again. So through all these trials, other than the day I rinsed with ACV, my hair looks pretty dull and feels dry.

Am I supposed to use another conditioner after the conditioner wash? Am I supposed to be doing my process twice, instead of once? Should I be combing through while wet? Leaving on less/more time? Applying to dry hair instead of wet? I don't know what I'm doing wrong! I haven't even gotten to put a toner on yet to even out the color because I don't know if I can ride this CO thing out!

oops, forgot to add: hair feels pretty dry using this method too!
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:40 am      Reply with quote
First off, this reciper may not be for everyone, so maybe it just doesn't work for you. I'm not sure if you have the proportions right. A good rule is that is the final mix is about 50% suave conditioner. The rest of the bottle is honey, apple cider vinegar, and water.

It's definitely not "one big handful"- it's multiple handfuls! I just keep piling it on and massaging it in until I feel like all of my hair is just really saturated with it. Make sure to massage your scalp. You can let it sit, and then massage in a couple more handfuls... Then wash it off.

Your hair really shouldn't be dull and dry with this method... The honey and acv combo should make it super shiny and soft. Then again, maybe your hair doesn't like this method, maybe something different will work for you. You don't have to do a acv rinse because there should be enough of it in the mix to get those benefits. HTH!

jess111 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I don't really think I'm getting the hang of this so don't know if I'm doing it right. Each time I am massaging in for a few minutes, using a big handful of conditioner applied to wet hair, let sit for 5-10 minutes, and then rinsed out really well.

I tried using the plain suave coconut conditioner I had removed from the bottle to add the splash of ACV, water, and the honey. One day I rinsed with ACV after using this method. Hair looked ok, but not great.

Then I tried the plain suave again. Eh results. Maybe not as good as with ACV rinse, not sure. I think the ACV made it look a little cleaner.

Then today, and maybe yesterday, I used the mix again. Eh again. So through all these trials, other than the day I rinsed with ACV, my hair looks pretty dull and feels dry.

Am I supposed to use another conditioner after the conditioner wash? Am I supposed to be doing my process twice, instead of once? Should I be combing through while wet? Leaving on less/more time? Applying to dry hair instead of wet? I don't know what I'm doing wrong! I haven't even gotten to put a toner on yet to even out the color because I don't know if I can ride this CO thing out!

oops, forgot to add: hair feels pretty dry using this method too!

Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:10 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |