Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
My 'miracle essence' experiment
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:44 am      Reply with quote
Inspired by a certain skin care brand and their miracle water, I decided to homebrew some of the same.... Laughing I reasoned that if they accidentally found this essence in a sake brewing plant then I could do the same in my kitchen. Bring on the homebrew...Bad Grin

After some research I discovered there are two stages to sake making. First stage fermentation by a fungus and second stage fermentation by yeast. Now the product in question claims it's the product of the yeast fermentation but I decided to try both stages of fermentation, just for kicks.

After all rice ferment is rice ferment and no matter what organism is pre-digesting the rice it can only contain the amino acid, vitamin and mineral profile of the rice itself.

So far I've used the product of first stage fermentation and it's really a lovely thing. This 'goo' feels very cooling and firming on the skin. It dries like a mask then rinses off rather easily leaving behind super-soft skin. My skin also feels extremely hydrated and takes up moisturiser more readily. Nice. When I get home feeling like a raisin I apply this onto my skin and it plumps and soothes it no end.

The downside is that this stuff cannot be used daily. When overused it does cause the skin to feel dry on the surface due to what I think is a strong exfoliating effect of the broken down constituents. My skin has a flaking effect and I've noticed that the contents of my pores are expelled rather effectively. It's fine to use a couple of times a week however as a mask and creates a dramatic improvement in the look and feel of my skin. It's non-irritating and a good product.

I've got of batch of 2nd stage fermentation happening now and haven't yet got around to using that. The 2nd stage fermentation is more like water whereas the 1st stage fermentation is like porridge.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:58 am      Reply with quote
Sounds like an interesting experiment, NotMeNotYou. Could you tell me more about the fermenting process? I don't know that I'd ever do something like this, but I'd like to know how you go about it. Thanks. I'm looking forward to hearing the results of your 2nd stage.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
Well I bottled my first batch of 2nd stage ferment have tried it on my face and here are my impressions.

It makes a very nice toner. It has skin tightening properties owing largely to the minute amount of alcohol present from the fermentation process. It feels hydrating and refreshing to the skin. But it's no miracle. In fact I'd say it's about on a par with any witch hazel or cucumber toner. And I suspect the rather expensive branded version is the same which gives me no desire to ever purchase it. Any supposed skin brightening effects would only be from naturally occuring AHAs in the ferment (aka lactic acid which naturally occurs with yeast ferments) and is therefore no more specific to this product than to any AHA product.

I think this nicely accounts for the differing experiences of the branded product's users. Those with relatively young skin (20's) seem to report no great change with the use of the essence. While those with more mature skin swear by it. But what I suspect is that's just the more mature skin responding positively to the additional skin tightening and hydrating properties which any toner provides. And to be honest if I'd spent $200 on a bottle of toner I'd be raving about it too, if only to convince myself I hadn't been taken for a ride. Since I made it for a lot less I can afford to be more critical in my assessment.

It's also been reported that you can achieve very similar results simply by mixing a bit of rice flour into water and letting it stand overnight. I imagine that this would attract wild yeasts and begin fermenting on it's own much like sourdough starter does. Certainly rice flour on it's own is very skin softening so I can imagine achieving a similar result with that. Given that rice flour water is immediate and I've spent approx 3 weeks of labour intensive brewing to come up with the same thing I wouldn't bother with creating this essence again.

But it's always fun to separate myth from reality.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
Now what's had me curious since you began your fermenting experiment, how did you manage stage 1? Finding yeast is a simple thing or bacteria like Lactobacillus in making the LPB, but fungus? And the correct fungus? I am very intrigued! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:19 am      Reply with quote
You need contacts in Japan where the spores are readily available.Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:54 am      Reply with quote
NotMeNotYou wrote:
You need contacts in Japan where the spores are readily available.Wink

Thanks NMNY! I was just wondering how you managed that, but having the right contacts always helps! Laughing

Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |