Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Would You Give Up Wheat, Dairy, and Sugar for Better Skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
tarapaca
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
I've been in Peru for the last few months. Towards the end of my stay I spent two weeks at a shamanic healing center. We ate a very simple diet, mainly vegetarian, with absolutely no wheat, dairy or sugar. It was hard, but at the end of it my skin was absolutely glowing! I'm 41 and it hasn't looked that good since my 20s.

I thought I ate healthily, but now I realize how much better I could look, if I just cut out my favourite food groups! I'm going to try and continue, but it's quite hard to avoid all of those things. So I'm wondering, has anyone made a similar discovery, that you look really good if you avoid certain foods? And has anyone managed to sustain long term a diet avoiding wheat, dairy, and sugar?
hardrockmama
5% products discount

Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
I've thought about it soooo many times but I just haven't been motivated or disciplined enough to go for it. Which is silly because my skin is FAR from where I would like it to be.

The worst part is as you mentioned - the things that are to be cut out are in 90% of my favourite food and drink!
Hermosa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
A shamanic healing center. That sounds like a wonderful vacation!

This is a topic I think about all the time. I have already cut out dairy, more or less. Sugar -- well, it's hard to avoid, but I don't consume very much. Wheat, though, that's hard. I have read that a lot of people, maybe most, have subclinical gluten intolerance, and I am noticing a whole new flock of non-gluten bakery products. On top of that, salt has now been indicted as bad for just about everyone.

But to give up wheat (and salt) completely? I might be able to do it if I was living alone, but no way would my kids go for a limited diet (we are vegetarian, so it's really tough). Note also that the animal species that live on fruits and veggies have to spend almost all their waking hours eating so as to get enough calories. And that is a concern for me, as I have already lost weight since cutting out dairy and other "bad" food. If the choice is between having glowing skin and looking less gaunt, I'd rather look less gaunt.
Vanilj
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:25 am      Reply with quote
I started to exclude sugar and so much wheat as possible. I don't eat bread on regular basis for example, some time it's not possible to avoid it.
I am a candy freak - so I had to make a decision to stop eating it totally. I took that decision for about five weeks now, and I can really say that its a big difference, I more energetic, I look an do Feel happier I think, my tummy are as swollen as it usually have been..
I aren't overweight, but when a lot of people started to ask me this summer if I was pregnant, I felt that it was time to do something to my tummy. Razz

So, slowly I will try to eat more and more raw food. But be a fanatic to try to avoid all sugar/wheat/salt/milk etc. Nooo, wouldn't work for me. Maybe on some periods I can do a "fasta" kind of routine.

I am certain that the food you are eating very much so - affect your skin, off course. The intestines are in direct connection to your skin.

Sara, 36 Swedish. Brunette, brown eyes. Fair sensitive reactive skin, no wrinkles(yet), enlarged pores, some broken caps and get easily sunspots. Oily but dry skin. Ten months with Tretionin 0,025% gel PM, Vita C AM - SC Phloratin and Freulic. Use DeCleor and Dr H right now.
Parsnip
5% products discount

Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:10 am      Reply with quote
I gave these up about 8 years ago for my health and have never felt better. It was easy for me though because when I eat these food groups, (and more), I do not feel well, so avoiding them is a reward for me not a punishment. I have also realized that there are acceptable replacements for all of my previous cravings so I never feel deprived. Just like any change in behavior, it takes time and commitment as well as patience. I am now just trying to understand skin care and learning so much from all of you.

Salt...I eat a lot of salt, just a very good/expensive sea salt that has lots of good things in it for the body.
Vanilj
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:26 am      Reply with quote
Parsnip wrote:

Salt...I eat a lot of salt, just a very good/expensive sea salt that has lots of good things in it for the body.

In Sweden there are many articles/discussions about the dangerous salt, that we consume 60-70% more salt than we need to have in our bodies.
Most of the salt are in the food that we buy in the market, that is it called, half fabrics..?
And to much salt in your diet can cause high blood pressure.

Sara, 36 Swedish. Brunette, brown eyes. Fair sensitive reactive skin, no wrinkles(yet), enlarged pores, some broken caps and get easily sunspots. Oily but dry skin. Ten months with Tretionin 0,025% gel PM, Vita C AM - SC Phloratin and Freulic. Use DeCleor and Dr H right now.
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:53 am      Reply with quote
Great topic!
I have been slowly trying to cut out sugar and dairy. I am taking baby steps here... but 2 years ago I would drink maybe 10 or more cans of soda a day (yes, 10 or more). I replaced with unsweetened black tea. Now, I can't even have a sip of soda.. it tastes so sweet it makes me sick.

The second step I took was to not have any sweets in the house. There is no temptation. I snack on Cheerios or fruits. But I have to say, when I am out with friends at a restaurant it is hard to resist...

THe only thing I really noticed was weight loss Smile.

I don't like the taste of milk... but cheese and wheat, that would be hard.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
I'm gluten intolerant and I also do better without any dairy, but I'm a cheese freak. Also going without both of these food groups makes having a social life almost impossible. No matter how many times I tell my friends I am gluten intolerant they forget and I find they are cooking me pasta as usual.

When I do manage to give up both food groups my face looks much less puffy. Unfortunately it only takes a small amount of either to bring the puffiness back.

I eat sugar when I have chocolate. I'm not willing to give up sugar completely and I don't believe in giving up salt. I use good quality celtic sea salt, have no history of hypertension in the family and below average blood pressure for someone my age, so see no need to give up or even limit salt. Salt doesn't seem to make me retain fluid or bloat at all.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
You may wish to read this about just how much salt should be in a healthy diet. Smile

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
I have never been a salter and cook with little to none actually. I limit my sugar mostly I have my teaspoon or so in a huge mug of coffee which I don't intend to give up! Smile Not a milk drinker, but will have yogurt and aged cheese on occasion. Whole grain bread I do eat a couple of times a week. I am big on fresh veggies preferably raw and fruit. I believe (aside from medical restrictions) a well rounded diet is best. The "bad" stuff in moderation works for me. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
I am gluten free but not dairy free. I can't seem to stay away from the cheese either.I agree about good Celtic salt. Bad salt is refined like table sugar and it's what is in most processed products. I can eat lots of healthy salt with no ill effects.
I eat minimal sugar too,xylitol in my coffee and honey sweetened desserts on rare occasions.
Blaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
I go strict vegan twice a year, 21 days each time. It is very hard, but if your motivation and intent of heart is clear you can do it. I do it for spiritual reasons, and it is worth it. Clear skin is just icing on the cake compared to how it clears your mind and strengthens you spiritually. As a regular lifestyle, that is way too strict for me. I'm an omnivore and don't deprive myself. It's all about balance and moderation for me.
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:42 am      Reply with quote
I've actually cut out these three thing from my diet (well, except for a half cup yoghurt and 1 piece dark chocolate daily) for the last 4 months in an attempt to lose weight, and surprizingly my skin has been acting like crazy, breaking out and peeling! I can only hope this is the purging period, although I have no idea how long it will last... Sad Nor do I feel like I have more energy than before. Everyday is a struggle to not succumb to my cravings and go back to those yummy foods. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
bellableu
5% products discount

Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:23 am      Reply with quote
In answer to the question in the main subject header: I would and I have. Smile

I have Rosacea and it's much, much, much better when I avoid grains, dairy, soy, sugar (including most fruits). I can get away with a little raw sugar in my morning coffee, but most fruits & grains flare me up almost immediately. It took me a couple of years to fully transition my diet, but having done it gradually, it's not hard at all. I was a heavy grain eater, loved sweets, and ate a lot of soy (20 yrs vegetarian) - Google 'anti-inflammatory diet'. Smile My, how things change ...

41 y.o., fair, dry, sensitive, mild to moderate rosacea (inflammatory *and* flushing). Minimalist approach to skincare is working for me. Interested in gentle anti-aging treatments (acupressure, massage, exercise, LED) Smile
kmaya
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
You're the 2nd person I've seen Bellableu to do this for rosacea. Worked for her too!
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
I gave up dairy completely and forgot about acne Wink
pinknika
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
I think diet has a lot to do with your skin health, I incorporate a lot of dr. perricone concepts and my skin is a lot better.

I have to say, it is hard though and I am not perfect. I try hard to really limit my sugar and sometimes that doesn't always happen. Wheat for me is soemthing I haven't stopped yet, although dr. mercola has recommened a gluten free diet based on this quiz I took on his site. I don't think dairy bothers me, I like to drink whole unpasterized milk, yes I live in CA and I buy it often.

But for the sake of my skin, I really try hard to be strict, I definately notice a difference when I cheat but it's hard to keep up because I love food lol.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
Vanilj wrote:
I started to exclude sugar and so much wheat as possible. I don't eat bread on regular basis for example, some time it's not possible to avoid it.
I am a candy freak - so I had to make a decision to stop eating it totally. I took that decision for about five weeks now, and I can really say that its a big difference, I more energetic, I look an do Feel happier I think, my tummy are as swollen as it usually have been..
I aren't overweight, but when a lot of people started to ask me this summer if I was pregnant, I felt that it was time to do something to my tummy. Razz

So, slowly I will try to eat more and more raw food. But be a fanatic to try to avoid all sugar/wheat/salt/milk etc. Nooo, wouldn't work for me. Maybe on some periods I can do a "fasta" kind of routine.

I am certain that the food you are eating very much so - affect your skin, off course. The intestines are in direct connection to your skin.

Can't you get bread made without sugar?
where I live there are a few bakeries that use no sugars at all in their bread.
one makes pita bread and it is really good.
the other is a portuguese bakery that makes breads from corn and grains..and that is good too-exept the breads are kind of heavy.

I don't think I could restrict my diet too much more.
I already eat all natural and local meats.
try for no preservatives.
I am supposed to be on a restricted diet of no dairy, low phosphates and no preservative foods.
-minimal grains and almost no nuts.
(not going to get into explaining this diet,but I did have to see a dietician and this is what they have told me to eat and the times I have gone over the years).

I like maple syrup and sugar too much to entirely eat sugar free.
Also I tried to do that low carb thing for 2 days and it is not for me.
I found my blood sugar would be too low if I do not have juice or something like fruit w breakast.
Don't need to lose weight,but I know I should eat less..maybe.

I'm 5"5 and around 135 and a size 6 or 8 in clothing..and prob the most overweight person in my family it seems.
zhoushuhappy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:56 am      Reply with quote
i am very interesting in your simple diet, what are they? If it really works, i think i can give up anything for my skin. Actually, i am not interested in sugar, milk at all.
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
It's sounds so good to do, but so very difficult. I don't think I could ever give up soda.
Hermosa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:09 pm      Reply with quote
I have been spending some time in the last day reading various articles about different foods. What it boils down to: everything is bad for you except for (most) vegetables and (some) nuts. Oh, and maybe a few grains like quinoa. Soy is problematic, and fruits aren't good either because of the fructose that leads to high blood pressure among other evils. Forget about coffee and alcohol!

So I have been trying, really trying, the last few days. No salt, sugar, or dairy. Minimal grains. Cut the coffee from one cup to 1/2 cup (not ready to go cold turkey). I would like to believe this will have some benefit at some point, but right now I feel mainly hungry and irritable. If any of this is having a positive impact on my skin, I'm not seeing it!

I wonder how others are managing, especially those who are not trying to lose weight (I'm 5'4" and 105 lbs so if anything I would like to gain a few pounds...not going to happen at this rate.)
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:55 am      Reply with quote
For some people, like me having too many nuts or grains makes me very itchy for some reason.
I was told not to have many nuts or grains by several dietitian.

I do think natural sea salt is better for you.
But why does it have to be "Celtic" over other places.

I have some hawaiian red sea salt here,smoked sea salt, fler de sel from France and also a citrus fleur de sel from South Africa.
I probably have 10 different sea salts here-but hardly ever use them...

You can also be deficient in salt..that happened to me this summer.
I was dehydrated and fainted and tests showed I was severely dehydrated..even tho I was drinking tons of fluid and having a lot of salt.
Amarise
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
I had to because my body was telling me! With the exception of limited sugar, I'm amazed how much I feel health-wise and how my skin and hair are doing better for it. It's quite easy for me now since I understand now how to get proper nutrients from certain foods. The best thing I did was eat more greens and vegetables, some amazing body-building stuff in there. It also helps that I usually cook for myself of which I had to learn. Laughing I'm still a bit leery of the oven.

For me it was focusing on the food I could eat and love, much more economical when in the kitchen. Though Whole Foods is my friend for those special ingredients when I branch out in some recipes. There are many great blogs out there that have given me great recipes for when my mind cannot spark much creativity.

My favorites are
for re-creating old favorites
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/
http://www.adventuresofaglutenfreemom.com/
http://www.celiacteen.com/
http://vanillawater.blogspot.com/
for food knowledge and inspiration
http://kimberlysnyder.net/
for when you travel
http://www.celiacchicks.com/travel/
http://veganbackpacker.com/travel-guide/

I do believe that everyone has their own body makeup and lifestyle so that there is not one right way. You have to find what is right for you. Of course having gluten in moderation should have been fine for me but my body was oversensitive from all the antibiotics I had as a child. Also I require less protein than normal and more salt than normal.

So reducing on some of these food groups could help, but make sure they are the right fit for you. It's the same with the products we try here on this board.
kmaya
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
Here's a link to why our bodies need healthy salt. I don't think Celtic salt is THE only good salt but this article explains why it's one of the best....
Celtic Ocean Sea Salt is dried using a process first started well over 900 years ago. These salt makers, the Celtic people of France changed the archaic method of boiling sea water when they began to use the sun and wind as the method of preparing salt. This drying process in the natural elements of the West Brittany coast, charges the salt with natural energy. No metal ever comes into contact with the salt. The coast of Brittany, France is considered to have the best mineral content of any seawater in the world.
more at...
http://www.regenerativenutrition.com/salt-celtic-blood-pressure-unrefined-sea.asp

I agree with you Amarise there is no ONE way for everybody, but paying attention and eliminating things have helped me alot!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
The proof of this on Celtic Sea Salt is based on one doctors opinion and comes with the following disclaimer. I take that with a grain of salt just like any "good" "bad" food, almost anything healthy in moderation is still my belief.

Disclaimer: Regenerative Nutrition advocates a holistic approach to natural health and wellbeing. The body's ability and power to heal depends upon the totality of diet, nutrition, lifestyle and environmental factors. The information provided in our article is for information purposes only, it in no way constitutes a medical consultation, or medical advice, nor is it intended to be taken as a solicitation to purchase our products.

Always consult a health care practitioner when combating disease states.

No claim for the cure of any disease is intended, or implied nor do we claim that our products will treat, cure or prevent any disease.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |