Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
"Don't Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me" boo
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
hardrockmama
5% products discount

Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
Is this actually a useful book? I just purchased it for my Kindle and honestly, from flipping through it and reading a couple dozen reviews it looks like utter crap. Paula seems to contradictory and way too harsh on most reviews. It seems to me that it is more of a marketing ploy for her own brand "Paula's Choice" as OF COURSE she gives every item a rave review and her highest rating.

Seriously, is there anything worthwhile in this book or is it just a bunch of words strewn together?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
She's on something like the 10th edition, the first was back in 1992. When did she start selling Paula's Choice? Rolling Eyes

I am not sure which she wrote first but I thought it was "Blue Eyeshadow Should Be Illegal", but I never purchased any of her books. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:33 pm      Reply with quote
Some of the things I DON'T like about BeautyPedia (haven't had a copy of the book since the site went live, though they are the same):

The reviews are no longer unbiased IMO. I've seen a steady deterioration in the quality of the reviews/writing over the past few years (when is it that Bryan Barron started co-authoring the book with Paula? hmmm). They throw into many reviews how good Paula's Choice own products are. There's lots of sarcasm also appearing in reviews now which I don't like and is unprofessional IMO.

They nitpick on some (often silly) things. Examples are criticising some L'Oreal owned brands for NOT using Mexoryl in some sunscreen products because when it was released they made such a big thing about how good it was, yet, the sunscreens are well formulated. Another example is Avene's Retrinal, which they say "we have no idea why the name of the product is retrinal as there is no skin care ingredient called retrinal". It's called Retrinal Paula because that's a product name, that's not a negative thing, as you make it sound!

There are errors throughout the reviews, and often when you notify them of the error it's not fixed. As an example (and I've told them about this 3 times now), Avene Ystheal Lotion/Emulsion, which they claim doesn't contain any retinaldehyde. Yet, the product does contain 0.05%, as is listed in the ingredient list, and printed on the front of the bottle, and is listed on the companies website, and is listed in stores like drugstore.com....

There's an inconsistency with many reviews. For example, saying jar packaging is no good for antioxidants because air gets to them and destroys them in the jar. Yet, many (dare I say most) serums in dropper bottles would have exactly the same problem (and anyone who's used SkinCeuticals C serums knows the problem of oxidation exists). Many of those get recommended.

They refuse to acknowledge the instability of avobenzone, despite there being much literature in the journals confirming it (particularly that it should not be included with octinoxate). Again, there's a consistency issue because creeping into some reviews now they say how it's good that the company have stabilised it. Is this because Paula's Choice sells sunscreens which contain the unstable mix? One does wonder.

They're totally obsessed with everything containing antioxidants. Some people prefer NOT to use products containing antioxidants so they're left with neutral or unhappy faces and have to try and figure out whether the product is good for one that doesn't contain them or not on their own.

The reviews are of little value to anyone not in the United States as often formulations are slightly different elsewhere in the world.

Finally, my skin seems to prefer products that they don't like (and judging by what some people have said on other forums, I'm not alone!)

Things I DO like:

The ingredient lists are sometimes useful.

Suffice it to say I won't be renewing my BeautyPedia subscription when it expires.
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
I should point out though that I do love some Paula's Choice products!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:57 pm      Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
I should point out though that I do love some Paula's Choice products!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:32 am      Reply with quote
I like beautypedia as a reference tool. I do think she has some helpful info to provide but I dont agree with everything she says.

I agree with Josh regarding the sarcasm in some reviews. That is annoying and unprofessional.

I do really like a few of a her products, particularity her 2%BHA liquid, this a HG item for me.
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:05 am      Reply with quote
Several years ago I did read her "dont go to the cosmetics counter..." and did get a lot out of it. It was a great starting point for me to learn about ingredients. Through time, though, I have also found her reviews a little biased.

I dialed into her online radio show. The topic was DIY. She and her team were so sarcastic it was a major turn-off. If her idea of DIY is putting mayonnaise on your hair.. then she is not keeping up with what's out there!

A little off topic, but I am also very confused as to why her antioxidant serum has silicones so high in the ingredient list. That seems strange to me. Wouldn't that impact absorption?

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:31 am      Reply with quote
I only discovered Paula Begoun a very short time ago, maybe about 6 weeks. Found her book at the library and had abit of a read. I found it very interesting.

I joined beautypedia, as the book was very old and dated. I have since bought some of her products and must admit to really liking them all so far.

I like that she seems to gives choices and rates other products as really good, if somewhat expensive. Maybe it is all too good to be true (that someone would be honest..lol) I'm feeling abit disappointed. Its very hard to believe anything these days. I haven't got the expertise (ingredient wise) to know, so when you read something like this it seems great, maybe I am being gulliable?

and I was so happy that her products seemed so reasonable priced. Sad

its hard not to be disillusioned!
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:53 am      Reply with quote
erg wrote:

A little off topic, but I am also very confused as to why her antioxidant serum has silicones so high in the ingredient list. That seems strange to me. Wouldn't that impact absorption?

Not at all. Some silicones (Cyclopentasiloxane for example) are volatile (they evaporate). They help heavier silicones (like dimethicone) to spread more easily and feel less heavy.

Having an anhydrous base (no water) means there's less chance of the antioxidants oxidising before you apply them, so it's actually better.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:57 am      Reply with quote
I'm actually tempted by her antioxidant concentrate because it tetrahexyl ascorbate in a silicone base. Does anyone know what concentration the tetrahexyl ascorbate is? Or approximately?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:09 am      Reply with quote
In the Skin Recovery Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum w/ Retinol and Skin Balancing Super Antioxidant Mattifying Concentrate Serum w/ Retinol it's likely to be well under 1% because retinol is before it (and that's unlikely to be present at more than 1% - and possibly much less as it would be potentially irritating).

The Resist Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum (my fave) contains Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate and Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate. It's trickier to try and guesstimate the percentages as there's nothing nearby that might give a clue. The Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate is the third ingredient so is likely to be quite high (in comparison to the other serums). It also contains loads of other beneficial antioxidants though and doesn't contain the retinol the others do.
Bermie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:44 am      Reply with quote
Must admit I really love the Skin Recovery Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum. Love the texture, goes on and smoothes beautifully. Great under make up too!
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
I don't care what she says or how she does it, but Paula is all over the tv networks and all over the world. I'm tired of spending money on products that do nothing. All I know is her products do it for me and they do what they say. Thats enough for me.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
SusieQ wrote:
I don't care what she says or how she does it, but Paula is all over the tv networks and all over the world. I'm tired of spending money on products that do nothing. All I know is her products do it for me and they do what they say. Thats enough for me.

That's what matters most SusieQ, finding the products that work for you! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
SusieQ wrote:

Have you had any luck in finding products that work for you?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
SusieQ wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
SusieQ wrote:

Hi Ms. SusieQ,

No miracles but I have been fortunate enough to be blessed with good skin, very normal and not reactive.

I use OCM for cleansing, make 2 C serums one LAA and one THDA. I am finishing up the last few applications of Green Cream #9 and plan on starting lowest strength Retin A after that's done. I am also using the Walgreens AHA cream and loving that! Sunscreen!!! LOL I am pretty boring really!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
How inappropriate to review one's own products. How can anyone take her reviews seriously?

That said I think she is a makeup artist with ambition and a mind for business. This does not qualify her as an "expert" in the field. I've always struggled as to how her opinion became so important.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
SusieQ wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
SusieQ wrote:

I forgot to add that I make my own oil and essential oil blends that I incorporate into everything I do am and pm. I have a virtual apothecary of oils, EO's, butters ect. ect. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:44 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
SusieQ wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
SusieQ wrote:

Hi Ms. SusieQ,

No miracles but I have been fortunate enough to be blessed with good skin, very normal and not reactive.

I use OCM for cleansing, make 2 C serums one LAA and one THDA. I am finishing up the last few applications of Green Cream #9 and plan on starting lowest strength Retin A after that's done. I am also using the Walgreens AHA cream and loving that! Sunscreen!!! LOL I am pretty boring really!
Well its good you are using lots of antioxidants, but don't you think you are overdoing it with the Retin A and the AHA? Plus vitamin C? Than you are counteracting the dryness with essential oil? Wouldn't you want to use only one product? I would just use the Retin A in the evening and use the sunscreen in the day. What do you think?
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:13 am      Reply with quote
I have to give Paula credit for being the trailblazer in asking the simple question "Does this product do what it claims?" She then did the research on ingredients to answer that question and she updates the info with new editions - a big task considering the constant introduction of new brands and products.

Though she may stumble at times, by reading her books on skin and hair products and visiting forums like EDS, you will end up being a smarter consumer of beauty products. Oh, and I find the sarcarsm in some of her reviews to be quite amusing, especially considering that the beauty industry is so prone to scam artists looking to make a quick buck.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:49 am      Reply with quote
I agree. The cosmetics industry needs someone to shake them up from time time and hold them accountable.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:11 am      Reply with quote
SusieQ wrote:
I agree. The cosmetics industry needs someone to shake them up from time time and hold them accountable.

Ditto SusieQ! Smile

To answer your earlier query, at 56 I haven't used Retin A yet, I have such totally normal non-reactive skin. It's never oily or dry and I never had breakouts even as a teen, or through 4 pregnancies.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
You're so lucky Dark Moon! I am the same age as you are and my skin is always hyper reactive especially on the neck area and sometimes I just break out in hives. I am reluctant to try new things because of this so if I just use subtle ingredients than my skin will stay "subtle" if that makes sense.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
SusieQ wrote:
You're so lucky Dark Moon! I am the same age as you are and my skin is always hyper reactive especially on the neck area and sometimes I just break out in hives. I am reluctant to try new things because of this so if I just use subtle ingredients than my skin will stay "subtle" if that makes sense.

It makes total sense to me my Achilles heal is prescription medications especially antibiotics! I have had a few trips to the ER with horrendous hives, itching and heading for anaphylactic shock! No fun, but with my skin I guess I lucked out with good genes? Smile

Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:22 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |