Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Hair Dye - Toner question
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:32 am      Reply with quote
I dye my hair blonde and use Clairol Shimmerlights shampoo to control brassiness.

I am finding that the Shimmerlights shampoo is a little too harsh & drying for my hair.

Would it just be possible to add some kind of commercial toner to my regular, gentle shampoo?

If so, a brand of toner liquid that anyone can recommend?

Thanks, BF
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:43 am      Reply with quote
BF,

Toner works with peroxide as part of a 2 step process after lifting the hair almost to white.

Sally's Beauty and other beauty supply stores sell an additive that you use in your dye that knocks out the brassiness, can't think of the name right now but it works! Also there are other shampoos that do the same as the Clairol so I would try a different brand! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:25 am      Reply with quote
I remember I bought 2 HUGE bottles of Clairol shimmerlights thinking this was going to to help with my brassiness. Uhh..it turned my hair to straw and also purple!! It wasn't too bad though because a lot of the girls I interacted with at the time, thought I did it on purpose Laughing and they thought it looked good.

Anyhoo, as DarkMoon suggested maybe you can find a good toner at Sally's. I tried finding one a while back but gave up. I then started relying on my trusty One N Only Shiny Silver shampoo & condish that was a lot gentler and made my hair brighter. I used those products before the clairol incidident and it helped a lot.

Oh and that additive I think is called Unred, its in small tiny packets where the color is in Sally's. I tried it once with my dye, worked pretty decent.
sweetsweettart
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
I have platinum hair but my hair is only a 7ash so your may be darker naturally and more tone to brassiness. Mine does get yellowish and I use to use the clairol shampoo but it is too drying. I actually like the clairol shimmerlights conditioner. Also, sally stores have these purple packets or liquid that you could add to whatever shampoo you like using or add some of it directly into your bleach mixture. If you want more of a permanent toner, I'd go the salon and observe how they are doing it and then maybe try on your own.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:13 am      Reply with quote
Try Redken Blonde Glam Color Enhancer Perfect Platinum. It's not exactly a toner, but a conditioning treatment that gets rid of brassiness. Use it when necessary.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:38 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |