Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DEHYDRATED SKIN - Disrupted Skin Barriers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
deertear
5% products discount

Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
I have been suffering from dehydrated skin for about 3 years now. By the grace of God, I have been able to struggle through A LOT and read through a lot and I think I finally have the answer to our skin care woes.

Dehydrated skin can be caused by a number of reasons; reasons for me? I lost my skin's lipids (Ceramides, cholesterol, etc etc) through washing my face with soap TOO MUCH. Long story short I was devastated and I said to God, if I ever get an answer I would do what I can to get it out to other people suffering thru the same thing.

My skin has been looking liney, crepey, acne filled, hyperpigmentation tiny lines, etc. I tried glycolic acid, HA serums, barrier creams like (cerave), i even smeared lutein on my face but it might have worked it just turned my face orange.

So, basically, now I had learned about lactic acid and it was supposedly good for triggering ceramide synthesis in the skin. so i looked up lactic acid and ceramides and skin barrier function onnline and that lead me to a book that talked about the things that triggered ceramide synthesis in the skin: lactic acid, linoleic aicd, linolenic acid, something else, and niacinamde. this gave me hope. I started smearing yogurt on my face. lol. but that seemed not to work too well.

then i looked up linoleic acid, and lo and behold i was lead to reading about safflower oil and grapeseed oil. i have been using grapeseed oil for the past 3 days and it has been pretty much a good thing. i dont want to speak too soon but yes, this is just where I want to compile my knowledge about dehydrated skin for those who are hurting by it striking you. i even went to makeupalley and read reviews for grapeseed oil and those w/ dehydrated skin had actually rectified the situation.

so give it a try.i am using napa vally's grapeseed oil from wholefoods cooking oil isle. cheeap and i think on sale right now.

also, no use of harsh cleansers, no drying lotions, no alcohol on face, stay away rom anything that will take away important skin lipids.

I just wanted to help and if anyone else can offer help, let this be the thread for helping those with dehydrated skin.

Also, if you stillhave skin lipids and are still suffering from dehydration due to age because of loss of GAGS then you should try glycolic acid creams because they stimulate the production of GAGS and water holding preotiens in the skin. For those suffering with losss of skin lipids and a disrupted skin barrier, it's important to restore those lost lipids or else the skin will not be working properly.

ALSo try green drinks, eating kale, and taking FLORAGLO lutein supplements because I read lutein helps with skin hydration and skin lipids synthesis and protection.

ALSO UV natural is a great natural sunscreen with grapeseedoil as one of the main ingredients!!
sweetsweettart
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
cool. I always heard that grapeseed oil could be astringent and drying and that's why a lot of oily skinned people like it. keep us updated.
deertear
5% products discount

Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
bump
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
How old are you?

Taking EFA supplements help tremendously as well.
CindiLou
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:02 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing this information. Smile I've been using grapeseed oil for a couple of weeks now, just putting a little over my usual moisturiser. It is lovely to use, has certainly helped my skin stay moist for longer & hasn't broken me out. Smile
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:49 am      Reply with quote
Be cautious with the grapeseesd oil, it can be quite drying.

I 2nd the suggestion for oral EFA supplements.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:27 am      Reply with quote
Grapeseed Oil has astringent properties yet is emollient at the same time.

http://www.dermaxime.com/grapeseed.htm

Grape seed oil has mildly astringent qualities, which help to tighten and tone the skin, making it a good cosmetic ingredient for anti-aging products. It is a light and finely textured oil and is non-comedogenic. it is also very useful for moisturizing and adding emollient properties to any product intended for use on an acne prone skin.

The oil contains palmitic, palmitoleic, stearic, oleic, linoleic, as well as alpha linolenic, icosanoic, icosenoic and docosanoic fatty acids. Linoleic acid is very important for the health of the skin as well as cell membranes.

Grape seed contains proanthocyanidins, which are very potent antioxidants; helpful for diminishing the sun's damaging effects and lessening free radical damage. Proanthocyanidins are also helpful in wound healing.

The antioxidant effect of this oil is most useful when fighting the ravages of aging, as the oxidative stress caused by free radicals, which are neutralized by antioxidants, is one of the major factors that cause aging.

Apart from its great skin moisturizing properties, it also has good restructuring virtues, making it a popular ingredient in cosmetic manufacture.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:31 am      Reply with quote
Also from:

http://beauty.indobase.com/carrier-oils/grapeseed-oil.html

Grapeseed oil also known as grape oil possesses a few qualities of astringent and thus its application helps to tighten and tone the skin. It is of great use in treating the stubborn acne and other skin problems. Grapeseed has a high content of linoleic acid, a fatty acid essential for the cell membranes and the skin. Grape seed oil serves as a wonderful moisturizer and truly nourishes the skin. This carrier oil lends a shimmering touch to the skin

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:32 am      Reply with quote
sound interesting,

where can i found Grapeseed oil product ??

does eminence has Grapeseed oil serum??
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:44 am      Reply with quote
I've had good luck with the Clarisonic, NCN proskincare Rhassoul soap, copper peptides & oil based moisturizer from Weleda. Also, Queen Helene Cocoa Butter stick & plain olive oil. Drugstore brand Olay really destroyed my skin & am now leery of Cerave as well..... no hyaluronic acid or ceramides for me.
freckles00
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
Deertear,

Are you still using grapeseed oil? Has it solved your dehydration problem? I'd be interested in an update. My skin is also very dehydrated and I can't seem to find a solution...
deertear
5% products discount

Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
i have since stopped using grapeseed oil. it was a miracle, no doubt, it changed my skin pretty quickly but the affect had come to a stand still...i guess because linoleic acid is so doggone unstable.

i have been using my own niacinamide toner that has helped immensely. also a prescription cream called epiceram...although my skin issues still have no been resolved. i think because i rubb my skin too hard, i need to stop that. the less exfoliation/disruption of the skin barrier the better.

there are also lipowheat you can take internally and flaxseed. i read on pubmed that flaxseed helps decrease transepidermal water loss by 10%. which is good. i have barely started the lipowheat so yeah...

but yes, my skin is much much better than it used to be but it still gets slightly oily and has creeyness to it but very very fine crepeyness that i really want to get rid of.

but i hope this all helped you Smile
freckles00
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:17 am      Reply with quote
I have very similar problems as you deertear. I've been struggling for the past couple years with a ton of very fine lines and crepey skin under my eyes and on my cheeks.

how does niacinamide toner help with dehydration? I looked it up really quick and it seems to be used for acne?

wow, lipo wheat sounds great! where did you purchase it from?

for me, the only thing that alleviates the dryness a bit is OCM. my skin looks a lot more hydrated after OCM- although it is shot lived...
I just started doing the tanaka massage, so we'll see how that goes Smile
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
As a vain person who is consigned to walk miles in sub-zero windy weather all winter, I can say that the one thing that has made a huge difference in my dehydration winter skin battle is micellar cleanser. I use Bioderma micellar cleanser exclusively and never wash my face with water--my skin is totally healthy and not dehydrated for the first time this winter. I also think using jurlique night cream has helped, too--but the micellar cleanser is truly a godsend. it is for dry and sensitive skin and does an excellent job of maintaining the skin barrier while cleansing thoroughly.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
deertear
5% products discount

Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
I would also like to add that I found out a lot about SKIN ph and the use of urea. Urea is an excellent moisturizer and it helps the skin barrier by reducing transepidermal water loss.

products i recommend:

eucerin 5% or 10% creams
nutraplus 10% very hard to find locally BUT i went to a high end place in los angeles with like privately owned pharmacies and they had it in stock but it is very expensive...so ordering online is best bet

don't get aquacare or others like that because they contain SLS and that damages the skin barrier. NOT GOOD! check ingredients!

ALSO a great ph 5 lotion is made by eucerin yet again...the read skin balancing moisture lotion! it is awesome! it makes the acid mantle form. it's really good...please try it on your face. but dont get the body creme because it contains alcohol denat. and that is drying to the skin. the big body lotion is a good deal...lasts forever and is good for your body skin too! at first i dismissed this lotion thinking it couldnt possibly benefit anything but ph is really important and thats why i recommend this lotion....for skin balance.

well, hope this all helps the dehydrated folks out there. this has taken years and years of research hahaha. no seriously. a lot of pain and sadness and crying i had to experience. i hope this all helps you guys...God bless you all very much!!
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
My skin is constantly dehydrated. I never use soap, and I do agree with the no water part, but I'm extremely acne prone so sometimes water feels great. Yep, dehydrated and oily at the same time. That being said, I have seen improvement while using a spritzer. I have a Dermalogica one for my workplace, and a homemade one with lavender oil and water/msm for home. Its not a recipe or anything, just some stuff thrown together to multitask. It really does help when I can remember to do it. I also like that barrier repair cream by Dermalogica even though there are some cones in it. Not to plug their products, they just have some really convenient formulations. Just what works for me to maintain my issue.

5% products discount

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:11 am      Reply with quote
Back again!!! I want to share with you guys the power of Lutein and a beautiful flower called Calendula.

It contains lutein in a high concentration, therefore if you use this flower on your skin, you'll have lutein topically applied to the skin.

so...it's pretty healing.

try calendula oil or a calendula salve.

and then eat some deep greens.

i surely hope this helps someone out there suffering as i have suffered.

much love!
InSweetTime
5% products discount

Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:04 am      Reply with quote
What improvements have you seen? Do you still have the crepey skin? Did you have open pores?

Thanks for sharing!!
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:47 am      Reply with quote
Great thread. Cool Lecithin is a good source of a precursor to ceramides, lanolin supplies cholesterol and some long chain saturated fatty acids but choose medical grade to avoid allergens. West African shea butter (hard) is rich in stearic acid, the softer East African stuff contains more oleic acid which research suggests can be irritant and cause abnormal keratinisation. Unrefined contains all sorts of healing chemicals, much like calendula.

Urea is indeed the king of humectants for xerosis, dermatitis and psoriasis but I've never found it in a natural moisturiser. Aloe vera works well as a source of glycosaminoglycans, it has proven healing, anti-inflammatory and collagen inducing properties. Lactic acid as already mentioned.

My skin loves Weleda baby calendula face cream which includes lanolin. It is also based on almond oil which is rich in oleic acid, so may not be suitable for all.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:26 am      Reply with quote
I have this sample of NeoStrata Problem Dry Skin Cream that I got from my med spa when I last went in and that stuff is pretty potent.
I have skin on my nose that stays dry and irritated that nothing works on, but this stuff is great. A little goes a long way. I emailed the Neostrata people an asked it it can be used all over the face and they assured me it can. I will reorder once I am out.
"This rich cream is formulated with 20% Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA) to smooth and moisturize severely dry, rough and thickened skin such as knees, elbows and heels. Significant improvement has been demonstrated in heavily calloused skin in as little as 3 weeks of once daily use. The highly emollient beeswax and skin conditioning oils help to instantly reduce skin roughness on contact. This new, fragrance-free formulation contains Pro-Vitamin E and Maltobionic Acid and also helps reduce scaling and flaking associated with hyperkeratosis. Created by dermatologists. Fragrance-free. Formulated with 20% Hydroxy Acid blend, Maltobionic Acid, and Pro-Vitamin E."
I love it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:01 am      Reply with quote
deertear wrote:

there are also lipowheat you can take internally and flaxseed. i read on pubmed that flaxseed helps decrease transepidermal water loss by 10%. which is good. i have barely started the lipowheat so yeah...

That's very interesting! Do you have a link to this study that you could share? Thanks Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:25 am      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
deertear wrote:

That's very interesting! Do you have a link to this study that you could share? Thanks Smile

I am not certain this is the study but may be?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18761778

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:36 am      Reply with quote
Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:39 am      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
Thanks!

You know I aim to please! Laughing

You are welcome!

Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:46 pm      Reply with quote
You have shared very useful information. Thanks for sharing
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:26 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |