Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Good types of brushes for applying facial masks?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
yuri21
5% products discount

Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:05 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I've heard of people using brushes to apply facial masks. Are flat and wide types like fan brushes good for applying light or thick and heavy masks? If not, which are the best? I can't seem to figure out whether synthetic or non-synthetic ones are better either.

Oh and regretfully, please do not recommend any brands as I live all the way in Singapore.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
I'm about to buy some brushes from an art supplies store which I've been told are comparable to mac brushes, and though I don't need a foundation brush, I was thinking of getting one for masks.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think a fan brush would be the best thing. I'm going to get something closer to a Mac #190 brush (just google to see what it looks like).

I would also guess that synthetic would be a better way to go... since I'd imagine I'll be trying yogurt masks and other such smelly things which I'll want to clean from the brushes completely.

Good luck!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
I love "fan" brushes for my masks. I just get them in any arts and crafts store, when I pick up my art supplies.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
I just use a simple flat brush, the ones used to tint the hair... cheap, easy to apply the mask and easy to clean. I don't really bother much about the brush being synthetic or not, after all it is just used for applying the mask... Smile
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
I make a thick gel-like mask which I apply with a compressed paper facial mask. I rehydrate the mask first, unroll it then dip it in the gel and apply to my face. Easier than anything else really. It stops it from dripping off my face which is nice.

But if a brush is what you really want then any flat, wide brush will do. You could even use a baking pastry brush to be honest. You don't need anything fancy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
NotMeNotYou,where do you purchase the compressed paper facial mask? It sounds very interesting.
TIA, A.
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
Where I am....I can get them at the local supermarket and they are quite cheap. And you can buy them bulk there as well. Little tiny circular dried out pastille looking things....soak them....and gently play them out.

For mud mask, I use a synthetic brush, I bought a little plastic pack with the brush, measuring spoons, spatula and a soft small bowl [ all in pink] for something like $5.00. It has been the perfect thing for my mud mask/ AHA concoction.
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
ATester wrote:
NotMeNotYou,where do you purchase the compressed paper facial mask? It sounds very interesting.
TIA, A.

In asia, the local supermarket or discount shop will have them. They are very common as DragoN has stated. Elsewhere you'll be able to get them on eBay as there are dozens of HK sellers for these items in bulk. They work out at about 20 cents each. Just search "paper facial mask" and you'll get tonnes of hits. They aren't paper as such but are more like the woven fabric commonly used for wet wipes. They are folded into little discs which unravel when you wet them.

The beauty of them is that once wet you can lay them on top of any mask you've applied and they will help the ingredients to soak into your skin more deeply by preventing the mask from drying out while it's on your skin. I use these for my masks and there is nothing better for plumping the skin first thing in the morning. They really are the best invention.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
I have a fan brush to apply acid peels but I use my fingers to apply a facial mask: I think they are better than any brushes, you can manipulate em in any way you want!
yuri21
5% products discount

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:31 am      Reply with quote
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies! Smile

I tested out applying a mask with a pastry brush but unfortunately had quite bad skin irritation. I guess I should've used a much softer type or the kind of brush from the art stores. :P

Thanks for all the input! Now I have a few different types of brush choices to consider. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |