Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

35% glycolic peel..Is this normal? Please help :(
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Katrosier
5% products discount

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:23 am      Reply with quote
I already posted this on another forum and got no replies so thought I'd try here.

I did my first glycolic peel 16 hours ago. I did do a patch test 3 days earlier to see how my skin would react (normal reaction, slight redness went away after neutralizing), and I even worried that 35% wasn't strong enough!

I followed the instructions that came with my kit and left it on for 50 seconds, I couldn't have left it on longer because it stung my eyes so bad I couldn't keep them open lol. I neutralized and then used organic argan oil to moisturize.

Right now the skin on my forhead and neck feels tight, itchy and a little rubbery which I believe is normal, but the skin on my cheeks has raised red blotches all over that like hives. Could the skin on my cheeks be "allergic" to the peel? I am prone to allergies and I usually get hives when I come in contact with other people's pets, and sometimes even my own.

Can I use my hydrocortisone cream on the splotches? Or should I continue with my regular post peel care? Does anyone know if this will fade like regular allergy reaction or if it could leave permenant scarring?

I tried calling my dermatologist for advice, but she's out of town for another 3 weeks
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:52 am      Reply with quote
This does not sound like a normal reaction, Katrosier. I would definitely recommend getting in to see someone, even your regular doctor if your derm is out of town. Someone should be covering for your derm while he/she is out of town that you should be able to see.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:00 am      Reply with quote
Hi Katrosier -

Sorry to hear about your unexpected reaction to the glycolic. I've done some glycolic peels in the past, but I'm not a medical expert. A couple thoughts come to mind:

1) Have you used the argan oil in the past? That could be the culprit to the reaction if not.

2) The skin on your cheeks might have been more sensitive and absorbed more of the acid, thus leading to the red spots. Like you say, it could also be hives. If it were me, I'd try the hydrocortisone cream in one area and see if if helps (no more than twice a day). If they are open sores, don't use the hydrocortisone at all and definitely see a derm even if you have to go to someone else.

3) I've had the running eyes problem with glycolic before, it's really annoying!

What brand of peel was it?

Let us know how it goes.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:18 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
This does not sound like a normal reaction, Katrosier. I would definitely recommend getting in to see someone, even your regular doctor if your derm is out of town. Someone should be covering for your derm while he/she is out of town that you should be able to see.

I have to agree with Riley on this, I have used 2 brands of glycolic peels at home (at least 5-6 years ago) don't recall brands. I actually left them on longer than the instructions called for, yes I have tough skin, but I never had any reaction! This would have me seeing a doctor asap!
JMHO

5% products discount

Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:49 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies everyone one.

@rileygirl I'm waiting to see if some of it clears up on its own. I'm too embarassed to see a doctor because I don't want to be lectured on DIY peels lol

@shastagirl I've been using argan oil(friend gets it from morocco directly from the women's co op) for the past 2 years with no problem.I used Skin Beauty Solutions peel.

@darkmoon thank you for your suggestion.

I dabbed a light hydrocortisone cream on it earlier and the hives are gone but the red splotches are still there althought they're much lighter. I also put a thin layer of baby ointment for diaper rash, Homeoplasmine (I'm guessing the US equivalent is Aquaphor)and vaseline. My skin doesn't itch anymore and doesn't feel as tight. But I can still feel the layer of dead skin on my face..when can I expect it to start flaking off? I work in the beauty industry and I CAN'T go to work with tight flakey skin Sad I'll try to post pics later. Thanks again for your help.
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Are you sure you used a glycolic peel? Or did you use a TCA peel? Was this the first acid peel you've ever had?

Try to find some pure aloe to apply several times a day to the red areas and do not, under any circumstances, pull off flakes.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
Once upon a time I used a peel of sorts. There was no percentage but it stung. Not extreme. After I rinsed it off, I had a red splotch. The color went away over night. The spotch however, was like a blister. And the entire chunk of skin fell off in about 2 days. Fortunately, it was not so strong it did not go DEEP.

You MIGHT have a wee bit of blistering. And I'd kind of expect those spots to peel more than others.

The last time I did a TCA... my face was super dry and tight feeling for the whole day. It did nothing for 2 days. I almost did it again not believing it had done anything. However by day 4, I was peeling like a lizard.

You should NOT assist the peel. As you can accidently cause it to go deep (scar!). If you can't look peely, then use a light layer of oil to hold down the flakes during the day time. and wash gently but completely at the end of the day to remove the dead skin.

5% products discount

Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:32 am      Reply with quote
Jax: Yes it was my first peel ever and it was glycolic peel def. not TCA.

ClaudiaFE: This is exactly what happened. The blisters are gone and so are the red splotches and the blistered parts peeled more than the rest of my face Smile

I'm still too scared to do it again lol
averygsmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
Katrosier, did you by any chance have any blemishes on your cheeks in those spots? Glycolic acid has a tendency to "dive"- go much deeper where the tissue is already damaged, sometimes, it can be a "zit" that appears to be all but healed or spot that has been over-exfoliated and glycolic will grab it and go much deeper. Either way, if you're uncomfortable with trying it again then don't do it. You may try a lactic peel as it seems to work for more sensitive types.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:12 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |