Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

~~**DIY daily SERUM**~~
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
SummerSone
5% products discount

Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
Id like to take the plunge and make my own DIY daily moisturizing serum. So far I decided to use these ingredients Smile

DAME bitartrate
L-Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)
CoEnzymeQ10
Hyluronic Acid
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Green Tea extract (EGCG)
Slicia
MSM
Honey
Vitamin E oil
Also Vera gel (Direct from plant)
Wheat Germ oil
Rose water (instead of plain water)

Question is will these ingredients be ok to mix and will they be Potent together?..Is it possible to even mix them together effectively?

Will one cancel out another?

Should I add or remove anything? Why or why not?

…What do you think? Any suggestions?
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
SummerSone wrote:

Question is will these ingredients be ok to mix and will they be Potent together?..Is it possible to even mix them together effectively?

Will one cancel out another?

Should I add or remove anything? Why or why not?

…What do you think? Any suggestions?

Since your serum is water based the best place to start would be to make sure all your actives are soluble in water. The next step after that is to research and find out what pH & % your actives are effective at. You may find conflicts in your selection. Vitamin C (some forms require an acidic pH, while derivatives can be effective at a neutral pH). After that you'll need to understand the shelf-life of your ingredients as not everything lasts a long time. You could be wasting product by mixing a long shelf life ingredient with a short one and having to throw a product out before you use it.

It's tempting to want to make a does everything serum or product, but beauty products are purpose formulated for a reason. The ingredients are more effective that way.
I personally have a two step beauty routine in the morning and 3 step one at night to allow me to get all the actives I want to use on my skin, in effective concentrations and formulations.

DIY requires that you do a fair amount of leg-work before you start formulating. The threads in this forum would be a good place to start.

5% products discount

Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your response!

So far what I know is that DAME bitartrate, Hyluronic Acid, Green Tea extract (EGCG) are all soluble in water. CoEnzymeQ10, Alpha Lipoic Acid ( mixes in cream) are soluble in oil, therefore I’m hoping the Vitamin E oil and wheat germ will mix well with it. It is also required that they are kept away from light and moisture.

Finding out the mixing portions will the tricky, Im not too sure how to find that out, Also will they be effective ALL combined is another : (
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
A bit of help getting started right on EDS forum:

Vitamin C for DIY'ers

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=30503

Green Tea and Vitamin C

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=36231

Recipe index suppliers listed at the bottom.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

Don't miss Alley's A list of suppliers.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=32529

DM's ingredient information sites

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=39428

5% products discount

Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much DarkMoon - off to check it out
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
SummerSone wrote:
Thanks for your response!

So far what I know is that DAME bitartrate, Hyluronic Acid, Green Tea extract (EGCG) are all soluble in water. CoEnzymeQ10, Alpha Lipoic Acid ( mixes in cream) are soluble in oil, therefore I’m hoping the Vitamin E oil and wheat germ will mix well with it. It is also required that they are kept away from light and moisture.

Finding out the mixing portions will the tricky, Im not too sure how to find that out, Also will they be effective ALL combined is another : (

You will also need to make sure everything you mix is ph compatible, which is listed on the sellers site in most all cases!

There are online calculators on the links provided above.
HTH Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
Summersone,

I really think what NotMeNotYOu said about NOT trying to make a serum that will do it all is so important. There are only so many actives your skin can absorb at one time. I have found that less really is more.

As far as Vitamin C, I would really advise to keep that separate from most other actives and follow the tried and true recipes that have already been posted.

If you mix oil and water you are going to need an emulsifier to keep the serum from separating.

One thing that I did when I started DIY, is I looked at the ingredient lists of products that had the most positive reviews. That was a starting point to learn what ingredients are compatible. More research was required - use the links DM posted... they will be great tools for you.

Finally, what are you skin care goals? What are you trying to achieve?

Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
Very true erg! Smile I think keeping things on the simple side especially starting out is the best way to go.

The first ingredient requires a neutralizer due to it's high alkalinity.

Product details

Assay: DMAE 37%
A note about DMAE Anime: 'Pure' DMAE (amine ) is extremely alkaline and not suitable for DIY.  Even if you have the anime form, it will still need to be neutralized to make it suitable for use on the skin.  DMAE bitartrate, is already neutralized with tartaric acid. 
Solubility: water
Suggested percentage:3% to 5% (13.5% DMAE bitartrate to make a 5% DMAE product)
Storage: Cool, dry place. Do not freeze. Keep away from light and moisture!
Country of origin: China Supplier's data: DMAE Bitartrate COA

http://www.bulkactives.com/dmae.htm

Country of origin: China Supplier's data: DMAE Bitartrate COA
"It has been demonstrated that DMAE causes some degree of skin tightening. However, despite speculation it remains unclear how DMAE firms the skin -- whether by stabilizing the membranes, boosting acetylcholine, reducing lipofuscin deposits or none of the above. Whatever the mechanism, the effect of DMAE is often noticeable although seldom dramatic. Besides, even though DMAE can't fully reverse the existing facial sag, it may reduce its further progression. Some people report a cumulative effect with continued use of DMAE." Dr. G. Todorov. Will DMAE lift your face, or just your wallet?, Smartskincare.com.

"Dr. Morissette's study is noteworthy but is difficult to extrapolate to typical cosmetic use of DMAE. Ideally, one should conduct a human clinical trial where the subjects are treated for at least several weeks with topical DMAE formulas with the range of concentrations and pH levels typical in skin care products. (The control group would be treated with inactive vehicle only.) After that, all the skin layers should be carefully measured and analyzed.  What to do until such data is available? To be on the safe side, you could just wait and refrain from using topical DMAE. If you do not want to wait, it may be prudent not to exceed the strength of 1% of DMAE and watch out for any adverse effects, such as skin irritation." Dr. G. Todorov. Is DMAE safe for your skin? Smartskincare.com
Attention Canadian customers:

DMAE is a restricted item in Canada and therefore it will NOT be sold or shipped to Canadian buyers.  We will not make any exceptions.  If this product is ordered for mailing to a Canadian address we will email you a PayPal refund for this product only. 

DMAE Bitartrate is an active ingredient that promotes firm skin, fullness of the lips, and has anti aging properties. DMAE bitartrate is neutralized with tartaric acid to make it suitable for homemade skin care.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
I have used rose water and everytime I use it, I break out and I rarely break out!

I use Wheat germ oil and love it; I do not get any pimples or milia from it...
SummerSone
5% products discount

Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:14 am      Reply with quote
While browsing I cam across 2 recipes from Kassy_A which Id like to make into a Serum:

Kassy_A If you can give your opinion I would greatly appreciate it : - )

Eye Serum

1 CC of each active will give you a nice potent 1oz eye serum.

DMAE (Just keep this at 3%)
wheat protein
argerilene
seaweed extract
cucumber extract
green tea extract
Avocado Oil + Emu
mushroom extract

Face Serum

Alpha Lipoic Acid (1 tsp)
Palmitoyl Pentapeptide-3 (Matrixyl) (1 cc/ml or 1/2 tube if from Skinactives)
Coenzyme Q10 (1/4 tsp)
DMAE Bitartrate (1 1/2 tsp)
Ferulic Acid (1/2 tsp)
Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (MAP)(1 tsp)
Anti-Oxidant Booster (3 squirts)
Every Lipid Serum (ELS) (5 squirts)
Green Tea Extract (1/2 tsp)
Algae Extract (1/2 tsp)
Lactic Acid (5 drops)
wheat germ + Coconut Oils (1/2 tsp of each)
Skinactives Base Cream (4oz jar with 2 TBS removed)
hyaluronic acid
Vitamin c
SKB (just enough to mix the DMAE + MAP in separately, before adding to the final cream. A heaping tsp is good.)

(I added the hyaluronic acid and Vitamin C so I’d to remove 2 other ingredients but I’m not sure what to take out order to make it “work”)

Please give your opinion
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |