Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Help is really needed here.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
JessicaWiehle
5% products discount

Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
I want to keep this short but i'm not sure i'll be able to. I don't post much and I want to give enough background for those who respond:

Earlier this year I made the switch to all natural products and make up. I mean, I literally cleaned out everything from underneath my sink regarding cleaning products, to shampoos and conditioners, stopped highlighting my hair, switched to natural makeup, skin care, etc. This change was inspired by many things. I have always tinkered with DIY skin care but remained an avid user of MAC products. I have to admit, I used to be a lot more stunning than I am now… it is actually night and day for me when I look in the mirror because now I limit myself so much on what I put on my face…. Smile But, I made the change for reasons that are more important to me than my vanity. Being a tan, blonde, glamorous 28 year old had it's benefits, yes, but they were superficial at best and not worth it. I've learned to feel good being the me I am now and knowing that what I put on and in my body, use in my home, etc. is not going to harm me or my family.

I know I take an extreme position with regard to chemicals in products. I don't expect anyone to agree with my position. I lost my mother to cancer when she was 48 and I was 19. This loss has created a lot of challenges for me and questions in my heart. I have researched enough to know that there is a correlation between chemicals and cancer. My mother was a cosmetic junkie [and she taught me well Wink] and grew up during a time when nothing was known about the products we use and humans were essentially test subjects. There was no history of cancer in my family. It hit her hard and took her quickly. I don't want myself or my family to be test subjects either. I know I can’t fix this or guarantee our safety. But I can ease my mind by making changes and inspiring the ones I love to do the same. This and the carbon footprint [huge environmentalist over here] of being a high level cosmetic consumer, is what has inspired me to go natural. And despite my current challenge, I refuse to go back on any of the changes I have made.

The problem? I'm breaking out! For the first time in years I cannot get my skin under control. In the past I would use my own skin care products but still used MAC. I didn't have any issues…and my guess is because the natural products removed the make up really well. Sometimes I wouldn’t even wash my face! Still no breakouts. I've always been complimented on my good skin, likely from a course of accutane I had when I was younger (yuck! If I knew then what I know now...). But now i'm using my own products and Bare Minerals which has no preservatives, and I can't stop breaking out. I can't help but think it is the mineral makeup. I know it can build up in the pores and is harder to remove because it has no oil. So…I use a castile soap based homemade cleanser, cleansing oils a few times a week but not for several minutes w/hot steamy towel like the OCM calls for, cleansing grains w/ground jojoba meal and herbs, ACV toner and moisturizer made w/oils i've used neat and never had issues with. I also made Kassy’s CEF Serum w/jojoba and SKB. What is the deal? FYI – the breakouts occurred before I started cleansing w/oils and before I started using the serum but after I made the switch to mineral makeup.

How can I inspire the ones I love to move to natural if the girl who always had the great skin and has now made the change and is now breaking out? Quite the predicament i've found myself in. Smile I’m not sure what else I can do or what else it can be?

I believe it is the mineral make up. I would be willing to let it go for the most part, and just slapping on my sunscreen moisturizer, but only if I could find something to mattify my face bit and allow me to put on a bit of mineral blush (I’m not breaking out on my cheeks, just the lower half of my face).

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated. Sorry for the long dramatic post!
IMCathy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
A few things to try-
first - take a couple of days off from wearing anything.
Wash your makeup brushes and applicators with baby shampoo - rinse thoroughly.
maybe maybe maybe bareminerals has something added? I don't know their brand. I go to a local shop that mixes mine.

Also - maybe try cleaning your face with a microfiber cloth - no soaps.

and then maybe... salicylic Acid- I use 2x it daily.
look at what you may have changed in your diet- have you introduced new vitamins, mineral, birth control, sodas, teas, or cheeses?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
You might be reacting to the Bismuth Oxychloride in the Bare Mineral line? There are many mineral makeups that leave that out as many do have issues with that ingredient. Less common but still a possibility is the Mica, I would go for a brand sans Bismuth first and see how that works out. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
I would suggest a good natural skincare line ( like Dr. Alkaitis - my favorite at the moment), and a different mineral makeup (I prefer Silk Naturals).

If you are truly into health issues you should also consider the quality of food you are eating, water (drinking, cooking and washing due to skin absorption), air (for inside of the house), cleaning chemicals (and also dish detergent and laundry detergent; soap, etc.), and all electromagnetic exposures.

HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Jessica -

I applaud your efforts to live naturally, certainly no easy feat these days!

Perhaps there was some ingredient in the products you used to use that kept your skin in check - perhaps an AHA or other anti-blemish ingredient.

Tea tree oil is good for breakouts and may meet your requirements as a natural ingredient. Or as previously mentioned, salicylic acid.

I agree with trying nothing for a few days and see if that helps. Maybe introduce one product at a time and use it for a few days before adding another product. That way you might be able to confirm which one is causing the trouble.
JessicaWiehle
5% products discount

Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
thank you for the posts.

When I used MMU before [before MAC], I used a different line. This is the first time i've used bare minerals and everytime I take a break for a few days, now that I think of it, my skin calms down. I'm going to look for a new MMU and see if that helps. At one point it was almost rashy more than acne. It is almost like the longer it is on my skin in a given day, the worse/bumpier my skin looks. So perhaps this really is a reaction to the bismuth.

I do eat organic [andbroke because of this, lol], drink lots of water , eat little meat, lots of veggies and fruits, make my own home cleaning products using baking soda, vinegar, essential oils, etc. I also use tea tree oil. Smile

I have been considering the asprin masks. Maybe i'll try that, too.

Thank you very much everyone!
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
Bare Minerals contains Bismuthoxychloride which is a known skin irritant and breaks people who are sensitive to it out. It's also present in a lot of the more expensive commercial brands because it provides a good feel against the skin and slight sheen. Try Everyday Minerals for a great natural product that's cheap and bismuth free. A lot of people swear by it and their product samples are both nicely priced and very generous. I think EM is still offering samples for the cost of postage only, or very close to that. I bought some samples from them and have not yet needed to buy the full-sized product they were so generous.

I can almost guarantee it's the bismuth which is causing your woes. That product line is notorious for doing that.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
NotMeNotYou,

That's why it was my first thought too, I have used BE in the past without any issues but nothing ever bothers my skin. I know many members here and on other forums just can't tolerate the Bismuth Oxychloride! Rashes, breakouts ect. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
JessicaWiehle wrote:
...make my own home cleaning products using baking soda, vinegar, essential oils, etc.

Would you be willing to share your cleaning product recipes? We may have to move that topic to the EDS Lounge though.

I have issues with the smell of many purchased products and have been using vinegar and baking soda lately as much as possible. I've not considered the addition of EOs though and would be interested in which ones you add and how much. I find EO scents much more tolerable than the chemical ones!

Thanks!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
JessicaWiehle wrote:
...make my own home cleaning products using baking soda, vinegar, essential oils, etc.

Would you be willing to share your cleaning product recipes? We may have to move that topic to the EDS Lounge though.

I have issues with the smell of many purchased products and have been using vinegar and baking soda lately as much as possible. I've not considered the addition of EOs though and would be interested in which ones you add and how much. I find EO scents much more tolerable than the chemical ones!
Thanks!

They can be posted on the DIY thread, there is a section with household DIY recipes! Smile

5% products discount

Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
yes of course I will post. wow, lots of rules here. Wink Give me some time together what I have...I actually have A LOT of recipes to post here. From skin care, to aromatherapy blends, to home care. I just haven't had the time. I am consumed by career and my blended family of my little boy age 7 almost 8, my love, his son age 9 almost 10, and our new home. Time is not on my side! I've been dabbling for years in a lot of areas of naturalism. I would love to share. Smile Thank you. I am going to follow up on this post once I hit up my local co-op for some new make up. Fortunately, we have a lot of local stores around here that sell natural, organic products.

Much love you all. Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
Looking forward to your recipes Jess, I was in your shoes but all were mine! 4 kids in 8 years, so just start a thread on the DIY section whenever you have time! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:43 am      Reply with quote
JW
Quote:
if I could find something to mattify my face bit and allow me to put on a bit of mineral blush (I’m not breaking out on my cheeks, just the lower half of my face).

For what it's worth...I have never been able to wear blush without breaking out. Mineral makeup or any other ..same. My skin is a mess after a couple of hours. Sad

To get rid of the shine..I use Kaolin clay as a translucent powder. It works for me. May not work for someone with dry skin though.

Other than Retin A , I DIY everything.
Including my cleaning supplies Very Happy

Hope you start that thread soon.
Time2Bme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Jessica

Good for you for dedication to health that you've made. I admire anyone who can be as committed as you obviously are.

I tried BE mineral makeup and couldn't tolerate it; it made my skin feel picky and itchy.

I use Meow Cosmetics mineral foundation and have never had an issue with it. I know that it is Bismuth free. It is also quite reasonably priced. I have never had a problem with any of the makeup from this company.www.meowcosmetics.com is the link if you're interested in checking it out. The site has a forum that will make recommendations for colour choices and if memory serves me correctly, there is a comparison between Meow colours and BE colours.

I also saw a review for Christopher Drummond mineral makeup on EDS. http://www.christopherdrummond.com/
It is supposed to be incredibly mild and is organic ... but unfortunately it is really expensive. Once you invest in the full size container, the refills are reasonably priced ... but the full size is very expensive. I've seen positive reviews on EDS as well as other blogs when I searched it on Google.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

5% products discount

Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
I was having a hard time finding this thread. I didn't realize I posted it in this section and not the DIY section!

Anyway, an update:

My skin has cleared up. I let it calm down and stopped using most of my products. I ordered Everyday Minerals sample kit and love it! I don't need a lot of coverage, just enough to form a base for blush. THis stuff is awesome! So, clearly it was the bismuth...

I also whipped some zinc oxide into my DIY moisturizer over the weekend for SPF and I think it has also helped clear my skin up because i've noticed a difference in the few days I've used it. I have very few left and i just started my period - this is a good sign i'm back to my pre-crazy break out skin because I rarely broke out even during that time of the month. YES! I'm pumping my fists over here. Smile

I just wanted to say thank you again to everyone for their input (and for not thinking i'm nuts!)... when I get more time I will make sure to post some of my recipes (and in the proper forum).. later!
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
To mattify your face naturally I have seen some mineral makeup companies they sell powders made of rice, corn, talc or silk I think.

I have not really tried those, but usually those things you can get the same ingreidents at the grocery store and just use a brush you already have to put that on.

I have a powder with talc and sulfur here (Mario badescu), but I'm sure there is better no talc powders out there for cheaper.
Vanilj
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
I have read the ingredient list on Bare Minerals Matte foundation, and no Bismuth on that one;
Titanium dioxide, Zink oxide, Lauryl lysine, silica, calium silicate, soil minerals.

Sara, 36 Swedish. Brunette, brown eyes. Fair sensitive reactive skin, no wrinkles(yet), enlarged pores, some broken caps and get easily sunspots. Oily but dry skin. Ten months with Tretionin 0,025% gel PM, Vita C AM - SC Phloratin and Freulic. Use DeCleor and Dr H right now.
Time2Bme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
Vanilj wrote:
I have read the ingredient list on Bare Minerals Matte foundation, and no Bismuth on that one;
Titanium dioxide, Zink oxide, Lauryl lysine, silica, calium silicate, soil minerals.

I think I read somewhere that the Matte foundation was becoming very popular, partly because it didn't have the bismuth that the other one had.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:06 am      Reply with quote
Time2Bme wrote:
Vanilj wrote:

I think I read somewhere that the Matte foundation was becoming very popular, partly because it didn't have the bismuth that the other one had.

Here in Sweden the Matte version has just arrived in the stores, and I don't think people in general are aware of the bismuth in the foundation. I didn't. I use the matte foundation and I have purchased it oversees for some time now. I have been using the original foundation for a long time. I never had any problems whit itchy skin, but breakout I have always had. Now since I started with retin a I seldom have the breakouts (if ever), but it could have been a issue from the bismuth with the original foundation.
The id bare product were the first mineral make up that came to Sweden, and the are a very expensive and popular brand here. You have to pay about 68CAD each for the mineral veil and the different foundations in Sweden..

Sara, 36 Swedish. Brunette, brown eyes. Fair sensitive reactive skin, no wrinkles(yet), enlarged pores, some broken caps and get easily sunspots. Oily but dry skin. Ten months with Tretionin 0,025% gel PM, Vita C AM - SC Phloratin and Freulic. Use DeCleor and Dr H right now.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |