Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dry Skin + Obagi + retin A questions – please help!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
littlepleasance
5% products discount

Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:43 am      Reply with quote
I am going to try the obagi nuderm system
So far I have ordered

#1 - Gel foam cleanser
#2 - Toner
#3 - Clear
#4 - Exfoderm forte

And there is exforderm forte and just regular exfoderm. I hope I am not overdoing it by ordering the "forte" since I read that's for large pores, thick and rough oily skin. There are a few places on my face that I feel are that way but I have fair skin and save for the few problem spots I wouldn't call my skin rough...

I read that the #5 Blender must be combined with Retin-A in order for the full effects to be felt. Am I doing this right? Is retin A the magic ingredient I still need for this line of products to work properly? If that's the case, do I need to get a prescription for the Retin A?

I also have some vitamin c serum (not from the obagi line) hanging around. Can I still use this in conjuction with the obagi?

And does anyone know if the hydroquinone in the #3 clear is safe? Especially for someone like myself who is Asian.. I read that this stuff has had weird effects on Asian or African skin.

My last question is: what sort of night cream should I use because I don't think just using the above is moisturizing enough?

Thanks in advance!
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:34 am      Reply with quote
you do need retin a to make it work properly.

the blender and clear are safe...but I'd log onto the obagi website to ask about asian skin. But i've seen many before and after photos that include asian.

I would buy a good moisturizer...you'll need it. I found when I started using a clarsonic it really made using obagi doable. Made a world of difference. the peeling without it is so obvious. Just approachit a s a six week commitment and forge ahead.

btw..in the end..your skin will look amazing!
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:20 am      Reply with quote
hotdocgirl wrote:
you do need retin a to make it work properly.

the blender and clear are safe...but I'd log onto the obagi website to ask about asian skin. But i've seen many before and after photos that include asian.

I would buy a good moisturizer...you'll need it. I found when I started using a clarsonic it really made using obagi doable. Made a world of difference. the peeling without it is so obvious. Just approachit a s a six week commitment and forge ahead.

btw..in the end..your skin will look amazing!

hotdocgirl, did u use the Clarisonic with the Obagi cleanser and it helped you with peeling?

Also, I don't think, we are supposed to use a moisturizer while on this program, only after the full cycle!
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:23 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I agree with RussianSunshine. we are not supposed to use moisturizer. Don't use it. If the peeling is severe, you can use Cortizone cream on the area.
littlepleasance
5% products discount

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
I am guessing nu derm is not something to use long term. So what is suggested after doign the nuderm treatment?

And with the clarisonic... how do you use it? At what stage? When you wash your face with the foam cleanser you use clarisonic?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:40 am      Reply with quote
littlepleasance wrote:
I am guessing nu derm is not something to use long term. So what is suggested after doign the nuderm treatment?

It is long term. You must stay on maintenance or your skin will revert back.

RussianSunshine is correct. No moisturizer while on Nu Derm. The purpose of the Nu Derm cycles is to take your skin back to a healthy state where you don't need to use a moisturizer all the time. Occasional use is fine when you are on maintenance.
littlepleasance
5% products discount

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
I turned 25 two days ago and for a while now my cheeks have been a little saggy and my lips are often chapped. I am thinking that maybe my room environment is too dry. I've just started on the Obagi Nuderm system and I know you're not supposed to use any moisturizer with your skin... this really freaks me out a little!

Can I wear makeup while my skin is peeling like crazy?

Would using an air humidifier interfere with the obagi effects? And second, would this even work to fix my saggy cheeks?

I feel like it's the dryness that makes my skin saggy looking... so what can I do to fix this while using the Nuderm?

Thanks so very much!

Also my second question... what happens during maintenance? Is there a point when I can stop the nuderm line completely and my face will be renewed for good? Surely I cannot use NuDerm for the rest of my life if something as necessary as MOISTURIZER is not allowed in this routine.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
littlepleasance wrote:
Also my second question... what happens during maintenance? Is there a point when I can stop the nuderm line completely and my face will be renewed for good? Surely I cannot use NuDerm for the rest of my life if something as necessary as MOISTURIZER is not allowed in this routine.

The Obagi Nuderm program should be followed for 18 weeks to achieve its maximum effect on your skin. However, you're very young, so you might see results rather quickly.

Is hyperpigmentation your main issue? I really don't think Nuderm will take care of sagging cheeks. It can help with minor wrinkling (because of the retin a.)

After you complete the 18 weeks, you will need to go on maintenance in order to "maintain" your results. At this point, you can use the Nuderm products less frequently, add new products, and use moisturizer (if needed).

It's a tough regimen, but I'm personally glad that I did it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
It would be fine to use a humidifier in your home. And, it's also okay to wear make-up while doing Obagi. Although, sometimes it doesn't look very good when your face is at the "peely" stage.

Peeling, redness, and tightness are common side effects of Nuderm. Often your skin will look worse before it gets better.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:34 am      Reply with quote
littlepleasance wrote:

I've always assumed that being on "maintenance" meant that you still needed to use some of the products, just less frequently. I could be wrong about that though....
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:31 am      Reply with quote
littlepleasance, If the reason you are using Nuderm is hyperpigmentation, I think you have to use Nuderm as maintenance. I am using full Nuderm routine (AM and PM) three times per week as maintenance.
If I don't do maintenance, hyperpigmentation will appear again. I had experience when I first completeted 24 week nuderm regime I have to redo second 24 weeks again. Sad Per my experience, the second one was worse than the first try. More peeling and redness and itchness....

littlepleasance wrote:

I've always assumed that being on "maintenance" meant that you still needed to use some of the products, just less frequently. I could be wrong about that though....[/quote]
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:32 am      Reply with quote
Also I am using other products on NON- NUDERM days hahaha,,
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:37 am      Reply with quote
BTW, I am using products from L'Occitane on the NON NuDerm day. Also, Can somebody recommend other product line for off- nuderm days for maintenance? I like L'Occitane line but I want to change it.
littlepleasance
5% products discount

Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the responses, guys!

I haven't really kept track of how many days I've been doing the obagi but I'm quite liking the results. The redness and peeling literally went away after the first week of consistent use.

But I still suffer from large and clogged pores so I am hoping the retin a and blender will take care of that. I have read that retin-a is not recommended for people under 30, is this true?

Is it OK to buy the generic retin-a micro gel vs the ortho brand? The price difference is pretty huge.

Also, back to the obagi nuderm for a second, I noticed there is a "Obagi Nu-Derm Action Moisturizing Lotion" that is available for sale on amazon. Since this is from the Nu-derm line this must mean it's OK to use moisturizer while on the nu-derm line?

I need to try everything to fix the sagginess. Maybe I'm not getting enough water?
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
It's not advisable to use the gel because it doesn't mix well with the Blender. If you are concerned about cost, many people order their tretinoin/retin-A from overseas pharamacies were it is <$5 tube. I personally did this while on Obagi and am about to make another purchase.

As far as the NuDerm Action is concerned, that product is approved for use with the NuDerm system but it should be used sparingly and is not supposed to be used on a regular basis.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:56 am      Reply with quote
Honey is a very good cleanser and you can apply it once or twice on your face at a regular basis. It's great for people with dry skin. If you have oily or combination skin, add a little bit of lemon juice to the honey.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:09 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |