Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
castor oil / almond oil
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
HI everyone,

does anyone use castor oil or almond oil as a moisturiser? I know some use then for cleansing, but just wondered how they measured up for moisturising?

thanks

Jackie xx
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
HI everyone,

does anyone use castor oil or almond oil as a moisturiser? I know some use then for cleansing, but just wondered how they measured up for moisturising?

thanks

Jackie xx

Hi Jackie,

Almond or any Botanical Oil that is ok to apply straight is fine as a moisturizer, many do use oils for that (me included).

Castor Oil is very thick and heavy so I wouldn't suggest it, also it can be a bit drying so it's not a good choice for moisturizing. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
HI everyone,

thanks

Jackie xx

You actually need to apply a 'humectant' for moisturization, (sodium pca, hyaluronic acid, glycerin etc), but then you can use lovely carrier oils to *seal* in the moisture... (silicones + petrolatum will also seal in the moisture, but the oils are so much lovelier.)

These oils are lovely, nourishing and not too heavy or greasy;

Macadamia
Jojoba (technically a wax ester, but behaves like an oil in every way)
Grapeseed
Wheat Germ

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
I agree about using a humectant first, I was about to edit to add and the site went wonky on me. I apply my oils over homemade hydrosols, or moisturizer! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I am glad this has appeared as I use my oils thinking they themselves act as humectants! I apply them on humid skin, guess this is not enough. Shall try with a glycerin based lotion and then the oils then. Thanks! Very Happy
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
Rosehip oil is great and so is Wheat germ oil; they wont leave skin oily, completely sinks in, at least in my skin!
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:00 am      Reply with quote
Hi girls,

thanks for the replies. So we need to apply some sort of mosituriser first?

The reason I was looking at castor oil, is that this seems to be ok for use around the eyes, and almost every oil I use gets in my eyes and stings them, - they are red every morning following use of oils. I just noticed the almond oil also irritates them,

so castor oil is no good as a moisturiser?

Jackie xx
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:05 am      Reply with quote
Here's an interesting find:

Castor Oil is a type of vegetable oil that is manufactured from castor seeds. It is rich in fatty acids and is known to act as a humectant by drawing moisture to itself.
http://www.babyboomercaretaker.com/fashion/Erase-Wrinkles-With-Castor-Oil.html

I just Googled "does Castor Oil moisturise" and allot of info came up, so have a look.

I was also of the belief that oils moisturise by themselves but just lately I've been spritzing my face with Rose Water before and after applying an oil - a tip I learned from RileyGirl. But oils are always best applied to a damp skin.

BTW, I use Castor Oil as a cleanser along with Olive Oil and it DOES sting my eyes. Have not had that trouble with Rosehip Oil.

I would give the Castor Oil a try though - it's one of those old fashioned things that has allot of followers.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:40 am      Reply with quote
THanks for the info about the moisturizer and oil. I did not know. Is there any ingredients in a moisturizer and oil(s) that might clash?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:50 am      Reply with quote
oranges wrote:
THanks for the info about the moisturizer and oil. I did not know. Is there any ingredients in a moisturizer and oil(s) that might clash?

The hydrosol is just water with some EO's thrown in or you can add rosewater and glycerin to a spray bottle that really gives enough humectant prior to the oil you choose.
I still wouldn't use Castor Oil alone, all I have ever purchased would be like spreading Karo syrup on your face! JMHO

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:14 am      Reply with quote
ooh, I never thought of mxing glycerin with a liquid, - does it not clog pores or anything?

Also, how many parts water to glycerin ?

many thanks
Jackie xx
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
FWIW, I applied castor oil to half of my face and half of my chest for 3+ months to experiment (I applied a different oil to the other halves), and to my surprise, castor oil did not dry my skin out and my skin was completely normal. In fact, it was quite good, though it is certainly not my favorite oil. I do find castor oil far more drying when used at high concentration in OCM when the pores are steamed open, but I don't find it to be drying when using it normally as an oil to seal in a moisturizer/humectant. I'm not entirely sure why the difference. HTH Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
I can't see why it would be more drying when used in a cleanser - after all, it's being washed off. But thanks for posting your "experiment" - reassuring if you're going to use it as a moisturiser.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I can't see why it would be more drying when used in a cleanser - after all, it's being washed off. But thanks for posting your "experiment" - reassuring if you're going to use it as a moisturiser.

Yes, it is unusual.

I chalk difference up to the fact that when I use it in OCM, I'm steaming open my pores, allowing the castor oil to penetrate much more deeply into the skin. Because castor oil has more 'polar' (as in the technical chemistry term) lipids than any other carrier oils that I know of, I assume that the pore opening and deep pore cleansing might be slightly stripping to the skin, as castor oil is non-selective/non-specific (technical term) and hence is removing some good oils from the skin's surface, along with all the crud it removes.

This would explain why castor oil is more drying when used for deep pore cleansing as opposed to simply applying it to trap a humectant into the skin. I hope what I am trying to say makes sense. But this is only a best guess and of course, others may have different results Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
cm5597,

You always make sense, and that may be the difference! Smile

Question, You don't find it really thick and heavy on your skin? That's my only issue with using it alone. I have cold pressed organic Castor oil and it's super thick?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
cm5597,

You always make sense, and that may be the difference! Smile

Question, You don't find it really thick and heavy on your skin? That's my only issue with using it alone. I have cold pressed organic Castor oil and it's super thick?

Thanks, DarkMoon Smile And oh, yes, that is an excellent point! It is super-sticky and gooey on the skin. It is very heavy and seems to sit on the skin for a while, though maybe that's because it's very hard to spread it thinly over the skin?? I applied it *only* at night for that reason, and it did slightly stain/gum up a handful of tiny places on my PJs. So it does get a huge negative in those two areas from me. I was mostly chiming in to say that it didn't seem to dry out my skin (when used regularly and not as part of OCM)...oh, and it didn't break out my skin either, so I guess that is good. Overall, I think most people would not like it, but things like texture and stickiness don't bother me as much as they bother most normal people Wink so I almost forgot to mention those things! Thanks for reminding me, DarkMoon. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
I know jojoba is good, but what about avocado? I use a mix of jojoba, avocado and castor oil for daily moisturising. I apply it after a morning shower or before bed.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
Vor wrote:
I know jojoba is good, but what about avocado? I use a mix of jojoba, avocado and castor oil for daily moisturising. I apply it after a morning shower or before bed.

Avocado oil is a great oil also. I have many different botanical oils and switch around as my mood dictates! Smile I don't get blemishes or blackheads so I can use pretty much any oil I choose. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
Vor wrote:

I *love* avocado oil. It's one of my favorites Smile I find it to be awesome for my skin, and when I eat large quantities of avocado, I notice my skin is more hydrated the next day.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
I use castor oil for my eyelashes, and it works a treat. They seem to be thicker, stronger, longer. Sometimes I also use it when I want to give myself facial massages. It's anti-inflammatory so if I have any redness on my face it goes away.

I recently went to the pharmacy to buy castor oil, and the pharmacist looked at me funny and asked if I have any questions regarding the use of it. Do you think she was under the impression that I wanted to induce labour? I'm 19! Embarassed
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
Elika wrote:
I use castor oil for my eyelashes, and it works a treat. They seem to be thicker, stronger, longer. Sometimes I also use it when I want to give myself facial massages. It's anti-inflammatory so if I have any redness on my face it goes away.

I recently went to the pharmacy to buy castor oil, and the pharmacist looked at me funny and asked if I have any questions regarding the use of it. Do you think she was under the impression that I wanted to induce labour? I'm 19! Embarassed

LOL, I think more likely because it's used as a laxative! Laughing
You never know my mom had a cousin who had 4 kids (ages ago) and when she hit 8 months she would get a milkshake with Castor oil in it to bring on labor!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Castor oil is amazing! I used it over my nose few times and I am free of almost all the black heads! Before washing my face I massaged castor oil for few minutes and thats was it............
Vor
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Elika wrote:

I think it's the opposite for me. I get red dry patches and blisters on my face after using too much castor oil. I'm pretty sure this is the cause. Though, I can't 100% rule out avocado and jojoba.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:31 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |