Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Help! Huge gash on cheekbone with Stitches! Advice?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
beestherbub

Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hello all,

On sunday this week (my anniversary actually) A shelf fell on me while my DH and i were moving furniture and i have about 1 - 1.5 inch oval gash on my cheekbone that required some stitches. The doc said the majority looks kind of like road rash but on one side it a puncture wound. he didn't do a very good job cause this morning one of the stitches came out while i was putting neosporin on it.

i was told - neosporin for 3-5 days and then mederma with sunscreen . Apparently sun exposure is the worst culprit in causing scarring.

its huge and deep and i am in the performing arts as a career (not that anyone would want a huge scar on their face no matter what career)

I'm not sure what to do - i've been told vitamin E, but i am wondering if there are any other things (could EGF be good for this? vitamin C?)
I am new to the forum and there are so many things being discussed I have no idea what even to ask about in terms of devices or other serums or topicals to use that will help with healing and keeping me from scarring.

so to sum up - huge abraded hole in my face, puncture wound with stitches, and lots of bruising. any thoughts appreciated!

thanks
esther
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
I would let nature take its course. The Neosporine has antibiotic in it, so you can't get any better than that for healing.
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
http://therapythatworks.org/postsurgicalmassage.aspx

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:25 am      Reply with quote
I don't know about the Mederma. I've been told it doesn't work very well. However, I would agree with the vit E. Use it straight from a capsule. The Vit E oils bought at the stores are usually cut with a carrier oil.

I've had multiple knee surgeries and my doctor told me to use the capsules and to rub into the scar (he said to use it AFTER the stitches have been removed). He also recommended to keep it covered as sun does make scar tissues that much more noticable.

While I followed his advice AND my scars are fairly minimal....they are still there. If you are really concerned about bad perm scars, then I would go see a dermatologist. The face is a hard place to have scars. Sad

Also, the folks on here may be able to recommend some nice makeups/primers that may help to minimize it when it heals.

Good luck!

P.S. I have used Mederma too despite the advice that it didn't work well, but I never saw any difference. At the time I figured it couldn't hurt (and it didn't), but it didn't seem to help my type of scars.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:58 am      Reply with quote
thanks you for those suggestions - the area is starting to heal - i think the abraded area will be fine - its the puncture part where the stitches are that i am concerned about because the stitches didn't stay in as long as they said they would. i will just have to wait it out and see how bad its going to be. *nail biting*
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
I would go see a cosmetic dermatologist ASAP!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
I would go see a cosmetic dermatologist ASAP!

I second that idea! Smile

5% products discount

Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:15 am      Reply with quote
I'm so sorry this happened to you beestherbub. I don't have any advice about aftercare but wanted to share my experience with you.

I had to have stitches just under my lip 11 years ago. Back then my idea of skin care was using scalding hot water and soap to clean my face lol

Today the scar is practically invisible and if I don't point it out in broad daylight no one even notices. Keep in mind that I'm olive skinned and scar easily.

Basically what Im trying to say is, don't worry about it too much, it will fade with time and will fade even faster with good skincare. The stitches and techniques they use today are much better than they used to be.

Did your doctor use the invisible stitches that go away by themselves?
Time2Bme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
I tried Mederma on my eyelids after having bleph (eye lid lift) surgery. It was the product that my DR recommended. Unfortunately, I couldn't use it. It made my scar so red, itchy and irritated that I had to rinse it off. Some people have had luck with it, but there is definitely something in it that irritates me.

You might want to take a look at the copper peptides threads. It seems to be a love it or hate it product, and is definitely one that has to be started with the lower levels and work your way up. Stronger or more is definitely not the way to go with CP's. There are a number of long time posters who really believe in them. Skinbiology's site also has some information on treating scars.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |