Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Crow's feet – when is it normal?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
It may well have been used since the 60's, but it certainly wasn't common. I had a few consultations and it wasn't even mentioned as an option. Wilmer Eye Institute at John's Hopkins is one of the top eye care centers in the country.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
This makes things much clearer, 12 years and older.

http://www.allergan.com/products/medical_dermatology/botox.htm

Strabismus
Strabismus is a visual defect that results when the eyes do not properly align with each other. One eye may look straight ahead but the other may turn in (“crossed eyes”), out (“wall eyes”), upward, or downward. Strabismus usually develops during childhood but can occur at any age, affecting nearly four in every 100 adults.5 Left untreated, strabismus can result in serious vision problems.6 BOTOX® therapy was granted approval in 1989 by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat certain types of eye muscle problems (strabismus) and abnormal spasm of the eyelids (blepharospasm) in people 12 years and older. Therapy with BOTOX® provides a minimally-invasive alternative to surgery for appropriate strabismus patients and involves the injection of small therapeutic doses of purified botulinum toxin protein directly into the muscles surrounding the eye.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:04 am      Reply with quote
I didn’t read it that way and agree with your assumption that if I had I too would find it insulting and ridiculous but I thought it was saying that the face helped people express and process their emotions because their faces were able to move more and almost helped the person deal with their emotions, so if their face is botoxed, it prevents that sort of expression from happening and thus the emotions get stifled as such in the face and tissue. By no means did I think it would stop anyone feeling emotions, simply it would stop them expressing their emotions which I’m not convinced is a good thing.
Keliu wrote:
This araticle has been discussed on the Forum before, in fact, I think there's a thread on it.

Personally I find the assumption that having Botox stops you from feeling emotions completely ridiculous and insulting. I lost both of my parents this year and I can assure you my Botoxed forehead did nothing to assuage the awful grief I felt.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:26 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
I didn’t read it that way and agree with your assumption that if I had I too would find it insulting and ridiculous but I thought it was saying that the face helped people express and process their emotions because their faces were able to move more and almost helped the person deal with their emotions, so if their face is botoxed, it prevents that sort of expression from happening and thus the emotions get stifled as such in the face and tissue. By no means did I think it would stop anyone feeling emotions, simply it would stop them expressing their emotions which I’m not convinced is a good thing.
Keliu wrote:
This article has been discussed on the Forum before, in fact, I think there's a thread on it.

The article quite clearly states that having the muscles in your face immobilized dampens your emotions:

Botox injections may do more than smooth your wrinkles and limit your facial expressions. These popular injections may also dampen your ability to feel emotions. The study findings appear in the journal Emotions.

My emotions come from my heart and brain, not from the muscles in my forehead. If this were the case and Botox did impact on emotions, it would be used to treat conditions such as depression or psychosis. Just because I am unable to screw up my forehead up in a ball doesn't mean that I can't feel sad or happy and all the emotions in between.

Sorry, but I get a bit annoyed at all the "doom and gloom" naysayers regarding Botox - I'm sure alcohol has allot more to answer for than Botox.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:31 am      Reply with quote
Sure Keliu I understand your reasoning, and agree with you in that I don't think botox prevents anyone feeling emotions, but I do wonder if it prevents them expressing it as such. Even if you do feel it in your heart, the inability to express that emotion through your face, kind of to me symbolises that unless you have some other way of releasing the emotion its going to get stiffled which I'm not convinced is a good thing.

I think your right though - alcohol might have a lot more damage to do than botox, but then again botox is supposed to be a toxic substance that causes paralyses, and I'm not sure that alochol has that same ability (otherwise I think there would be people injecting it). Its not so much that there is "doom and gloom" naysayers but I think its still relatively early day sre botox and we don't know enough about its possible long term effects just yet. We might never do - with the industry being like it is I suspect.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:57 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
Sure Keliu I understand your reasoning, and agree with you in that I don't think botox prevents anyone feeling emotions, but I do wonder if it prevents them expressing it as such. Even if you do feel it in your heart, the inability to express that emotion through your face, kind of to me symbolises that unless you have some other way of releasing the emotion its going to get stiffled which I'm not convinced is a good thing.

I think your right though - alcohol might have a lot more damage to do than botox, but then again botox is supposed to be a toxic substance that causes paralyses, and I'm not sure that alochol has that same ability (otherwise I think there would be people injecting it). Its not so much that there is "doom and gloom" naysayers but I think its still relatively early day sre botox and we don't know enough about its possible long term effects just yet. We might never do - with the industry being like it is I suspect.

The bottom line is that us "mere mortals" who go and get Botoxed do not end up with the Nicole Kidman look - or Hunter Tylo from B&B. Heaven knows how much Botox they get, it must be truck loads and done very frequently. My face is nowhere near frozen so I'm still able to give the required dirty looks to my husband and express joy when he walks out the front door!!

But Botox has been around since the 1800s and is used for a number of medical applications. I think it's safety is probably better known than maybe something like mobile phones.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:47 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I'm still able to give the required dirty looks to my husband and express joy when he walks out the front door!!

Priceless! Laughing (And another woman with my thoughts!)
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:11 am      Reply with quote
When did Nicole Kidman and Hunter Tylo become Gods? They're with us as mere mortals too you know (which is something to laugh about at the end of the day).

I'm glad you feel 100% that your safe with botox, but I've still got my doubts and have had friends who have had it done who say they regret doing so, so I guess its whatever floats your boat.

If it makes you happy having a small bit done, or you feel like you need a truckload, then so be it. I'm all for whatever makes a person feel good, and if thats what it takes - then the old saying "fill your boots" is what comes to mind (parden the pun!).

With mobile phones and botox - if there were dangers to either, I suspect there would be a bit of a conspiracy to keep them hushed up. The amount of people who use both and then would file law suits if such claims were true wouldn't bare thinking about. Its like the amalgam fillings. I understand they are banned in the US but over here in the UK they're still legal. Now you don't have to be a biologist to realise that anything which flows near blood has the potential to have a chemical reaction with it. Particularly something like amalgam. At the end of the day - what can you trust. There is good and bad things about everything out there - event he darned air we breathe! That being said, I'm not going to stop breathing.
Keliu wrote:
The bottom line is that us "mere mortals" who go and get Botoxed do not end up with the Nicole Kidman look - or Hunter Tylo from B&B. Heaven knows how much Botox they get, it must be truck loads and done very frequently. My face is nowhere near frozen so I'm still able to give the required dirty looks to my husband and express joy when he walks out the front door!!

But Botox has been around since the 1800s and is used for a number of medical applications. I think it's safety is probably better known than maybe something like mobile phones.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
When did Nicole Kidman and Hunter Tylo become Gods? They're with us as mere mortals too you know (which is something to laugh about at the end of the day).

I think my comment on them not being "mere mortals" is quite apt - Hunter Tylo is starting to resemble an alien IMO. However, taking into consideration all the personal tragedy that she has had to endure, I wonder what her opinion would be on the "Botox dampens emotions" theory.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:59 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Keliu wrote:
I'm still able to give the required dirty looks to my husband and express joy when he walks out the front door!!

Priceless! Laughing (And another woman with my thoughts!)

Laughing I think the problem with Botox is a lot of gals shop by PRICE you got to find someone who won't over inject you until you are completely expressionless. Just because you are a Dr. dosen't mean you are qualified or good at injecting. I had my 11's filled with Silikon 1000(talk about controversy LOL) so I no longer get Botox but, I too can still express emotion Bad Grin but then go right back to my relaxed princess look!Very Happy So many Botox myths, so much fear Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:32 am      Reply with quote
I know I am always the "voice of paranoia" but don't intend to be, I was just trying to point out as with any procedure that can possibly go wrong do some research and get reliable recommendations before allowing anyone to inject you with Botox or fillers for that matter! I would happily make my 11's go away if only budget allowed! Smile

Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |