Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals - Spicey Odour?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Dee28
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I recently received a 0.5 oz bottle of Skin Signals (by Skin Biology) and upon application noticed it had a pungent, spicey scent. The ingredient list for this product does not mention any fragrances being present, so am not sure if this is normal or not.

If anyone has used this product, could you please tell me if it is supposed to smell this way?

Thanks,

Dee
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Dee,

I am not a copper peptide user however the list of ingredients on Skin Biology's site does list fragrance. Smile

http://store.reverseskinaging.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1800

Purified water, copper peptides (hydrolyzed soy protein and copper chloride), enzymatically hydrolyzed collagen peptides, enzymatically hydrolyzed elastin peptides, glycerin, polysorbate 20, propylene glycol (and) diazolidinyl urea (and) methylparaben (and) propylparaben, cupric chloride butylene glycol, salicylic acid, allantoin, glycine, fragrance, aloe barbadensis leaf juice (aloe vera) gel and tocophersolan (vitamin E).

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
Oh yes, you are right Dark Moon!

But goodness knows what sort of fragrance, the stuff stinks!

Think I'm going to email skinbio and ask them.

Dee
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
Dee28 wrote:
Oh yes, you are right Dark Moon!

But goodness knows what sort of fragrance, the stuff stinks!

Think I'm going to email skinbio and ask them.

Dee

I noticed you can click on various ingredients and get a listing of all they use, one stuck out, menthol which they just list as being soothing to the skin, that has a spicy pungent odor. Maybe that's it? Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, it could be menthol or camphor, but is not listed as one of the ingredients (unless they've changed the formulation).

I hope to get to the bottom of this soon!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
Dee28 wrote:
Yeah, it could be menthol or camphor, but is not listed as one of the ingredients (unless they've changed the formulation).

I hope to get to the bottom of this soon!

I hope they get back to you with an answer soon!
Let us know you have me curious too! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Here are the ingredients for Skin Signals Solution, as listed by EDS:

Ingredients
Purified water, copper-peptides (enzymatically hydrolyzed soy protein plus copper chloride), enzymatically hydrolyzed collagen peptides, enzymatically hydrolyzed elastin peptides, glycerin, polysorbate-20, cupric chloride, 1,3-butanediol, sodium salicylate, allantoin, glycine, herbal mask, methylparaben (and) propylparaben, aloe barbadensis leaf juice (aloe vera) gel, tocophersolan (Vitamin E).

Perhaps there are two different versions of this product with different fragrance? I don't use the product either but did find this information about the "herbal mask" noted above:

http://reverseskinaging.com/Web%20Graphics/Ingredients/Herbal%20Mask%20allergens%202.27.08.pdf

I am not sure exactly what ingredients are listed on the product you purchased (check the bottle!)

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
Just to make things clearer, I listed the ingredients from skinbio for the skin signals serum, there is also a skin signals cream?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Dee~ Other than a slight copper smell I never thought SS had a strong smell but then I dilute it before applying. After reading your post I took a smell of it undiluted and yes it is more pungent. To me it's a copper smell with a slight scent of something else I can't put my finger on. I quess it's the herbal mask.
I've gotten used to the coppery scent of SB products and find that the scent dissipates after a bit.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:
Hi Dee~ Other than a slight copper smell I never thought SS had a strong smell but then I dilute it before applying. After reading your post I took a smell of it undiluted and yes it is more pungent. To me it's a copper smell with a slight scent of something else I can't put my finger on. I quess it's the herbal mask.
I've gotten used to the coppery scent of SB products and find that the scent dissipates after a bit.

Just a thought on herbals, they can vary in pungency from season to season, where they are grown ect. Maybe the batch that Dee got has a more potent smell due to one of those factors?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
Well Skinbio got back to me, here is their response:

'The smell you are referring to is the scent of copper in the peptide. It is there because we do not use any unnecessary ingredients to mask the odor. We hope it isn't too strong for you and that you continue to use our products'

That said, I'm not convinced copper is the culprit as I've used CP serum in the past and do not recall it ever having such an odour.
Dee28
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Lacy...herbal mask....that must be the culprit!

Like Dark Moon I just checked the ingredients according to the skinbio website (they were not listed on the bottle).

I'm thinking I might have an older formula because the date on the bottle is 08/09.

Anyway thanks for solving that mystery. Very Happy
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
Dee28 wrote:
Well Skinbio got back to me, here is their response:

'The smell you are referring to is the scent of copper in the peptide. It is there because we do not use any unnecessary ingredients to mask the odor. We hope it isn't too strong for you and that you continue to use our products'

That said, I'm not convinced copper is the culprit as I've used CP serum in the past and do not recall it ever having such an odour.

Copper to my nose does have it's own unique odor, I have to agree with your skepticism on this it's not a spicy smell at all. hmm

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
Dee28 wrote:
Thank you Lacy...herbal mask....that must be the culprit!

Like Dark Moon I just checked the ingredients according to the skinbio website (they were not listed on the bottle).

I'm thinking I might have an older formula because the date on the bottle is 08/09.

Anyway thanks for solving that mystery. Very Happy

I think the herbal mask does give it a different smell from the reg. serum. I know as the serums get older they also get stronger smelling...kind of a soya sauce smell (definitely pungent)
Dee28
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:39 am      Reply with quote
Although I had been assured the smell was nothing to worry about, it caused me to feel a bit nauseous so unfortuntely have ended up chucking the product down the sink. Sad

Oh well, it's back to vit c serum!

Dee
Dee28
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:44 am      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:

I think the herbal mask does give it a different smell from the reg. serum. I know as the serums get older they also get stronger smelling...kind of a soya sauce smell (definitely pungent)

Yes, too pungent for me unfortunately.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:53 am      Reply with quote
Dee28 wrote:
Although I had been assured the smell was nothing to worry about, it caused me to feel a bit nauseous so unfortuntely have ended up chucking the product down the sink. Sad

Oh well, it's back to vit c serum!

Dee

That's a shame Dee, I hate having to pitch things I paid a pretty price for! Sorry that happened to you.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

That's a shame Dee, I hate having to pitch things I paid a pretty price for! Sorry that happened to you.

Yeah, but at least it was only the 0.5oz bottle and not the full size one.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
Dee28 wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

Yeah, but at least it was only the 0.5oz bottle and not the full size one.

That's better than full sized for sure, but it's still a stinking waste of your money, literally! Bad Grin

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:21 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

That's better than full sized for sure, but it's still a stinking waste of your money, literally! Bad Grin

Yep lol, money (and cp's) down the drain Sad
System
Automatic Message
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:53 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Protect & Restore High Retinol and Oil of Lavender - Large (113.4 g / 4 oz) Payot Supreme Jeunesse Nuit (Night) (50 ml / 1.6 floz) glominerals gloShimmer Brick - Luster (7.4 g / 0.26 oz)