Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Estriol Cream for the Face
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
I hope some of the resident experts are around to help. I am 55 - have never determined (felt) I am in menopause. As a young woman - no cramps, no pms. Period very late -17 due to being a competitive gymnast and very slim. erratic for years until I had a baby at 30 and finally became more regular.

I still don't know a thing about my body - about THAT anyway. I haven't had a period in about one year but they became irregular again after my last child at 38 so I never knew what was up although I think they're done now. Minor hot flashes... that's it. Maybe some mood swings but I can't determine that for sure. Embarassed
I did buy some estriol (Lifeflo) and Progesterone - and am using them. I've used DHEA cream to keep things youthful too.
Anyone else in an odd place with hormone changes? I don't want to overreact but then again I don't want my face to fall on the floor when I'm not looking.

And I don't know if I should see a doc or just use the dose per bottle recs. I'm trying to keep the face and the V-JJ happy... Laughing

Thanks everyone for your guidance.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
Your gyno will give you blood tests to check all your hormone levels. That is really the only way to tell other than waiting a couple of years to go by with no periods.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:07 am      Reply with quote
I had no symptoms other than fine lines starting, no hot flashes, night sweats, nada. I had my hysterectomy in 2004 but they left one ovary which had long since shut down.
I got tested 2 years ago and had no estrogen so they put me on the estradiol, low dose for a couple of years to help slow it all down and give me a little pep back in my step. It has at least slowed the face aging down a tad so it is staying the same and I do feel a little better.
I mix the estrogen cream into my night cream to help a little!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
Sister Sweets - my sister had little to no symptoms either - she went a year without her period, had a few bi*chy moments/mood swings and that was pretty much it. The hormone tests confirmed that she was indeed menopausal.

I on the other hand had AWFUL hot flashes, just awful... and night sweats....and hair loss...and weight gain....oy...the list. I was okay emotionally but some days I was just so tired - probably from lack of sleep, and I'm sure I was biting people's heads off. I went to my doctor just to confirm the obvious. I'm on the other side now and so much better... BUT, the va-voom is gone from my bedroom as I can't seem to locate my canoodling drive, so my doctor prescribed me a low dose estriol cream for the are and a bit of testosterone to get my motor running again...

Maria Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, inquiring minds want to know---did it do the trick?

I *ahem* have a "friend" with a similar problem.
Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
) Laughing Laughing Oh you guys are funny. I *might* be experiencing this... I just don't seem to care as much as I used to Razz and I'm not real happy about that. I'm single and not dating at the moment so noone is mad at me thankfully.( Laughing )

I bought the estriol/estradiol and progesterone from iherb that has been discussed. In anyone's opinion - will that help minor symptoms?
I probably should get tested.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
It's True Confessions time!
Razz
I'm all for the testing, will be seeing the gyn in October. Last time, she gave me a box of estrogen patch samples and they exacberated my back problems so I had to quit. Recently, I bought OTC progesterone cream to help with the va-voom in the bedroom problem and again, back problems. When I stopped with the progesterone cream, my back was better. Could have been coincidence but I'm afraid to experiment with OTC creams anymore.

I'd love to try the estriol cream for the face but it seems my body is highly sensitive to hormones. I'll ask my gyn about it in October and will give it a shot if appropriate.

I'm probably unusual sister sweets but this has been my experience.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds like you need a good chiropractor.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
RE: ageing skin and estrogen creams, I came across this:

"Hormones. Topical testosterone, progesterone and pregnenolone all reduced wrinkling in human skin. Topical estrogen and topical stress hormones (like cortisol) on the other hand, sped up the aging process. Despite the benefits of some hormones, self-administering isn’t recommended. Despite their positives, they can come with serious side effects if used incorrectly."
http://blog.pharmacymix.com/5-ingredients-to-treat-damaged-skin

EEK!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
I think if that were true, no one would be using estriol cream because they'd notice a change for the worse. Topical estrogen referenced in that article might be estradiol or another component.

I saw with my own eyes my doctor's radical skin improvement after not seeing her for a year. I thought she'd either had a facelift or laser.
bullet875
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmm, now I wonder if I should just use the progesterone cream and skip the estrogen.....
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:04 am      Reply with quote
Seems like the battle of differing professional opinions....I have read more pros than cons on topical estrogen.

Each to her own comfort level, BFG
jayree

Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Sisters! I've learned so much lurking in the skin care forums, thank you so much. I learned about the use of estriol cream for the face here on EDS, and since I was already using a OTC progestin cream for insomnia, I began to experiment with estriol cream a couple of months ago. I first did a little reading on estriol, to make sure that I felt comfortable using it. I feel comfortable using it, but I understand this is a very personal decision.
In any case, I apply about 1/16th of a teaspoon every morning to my face. I mix it with a serum and apply it before my moisturizer with sunscreen. I have noticed a marked increase in the plumpness and I daresay firmness of my skin. I think some fine lines have flattened some too.
I know that everyone is different, but I just wanted to let my skincare sisters that I'm not going to let myself run out of this product any time soon! By the way, I use Smokey Mountain Naturals.
I'm so grateful to all of the forum who share their experiences.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:31 am      Reply with quote
I think your results will depend on how good or bad your skin was before using it. A lot of people on this forum have much better skin than the majority of the population, so when they try something new, they might only notice a slight improvement compared to someone who has only used Oil of Olay.

My doctor got an allergic reaction around her eyes so only used the estriol on her face and neck. I could definitely see that her eye skin was not as good.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:20 am      Reply with quote
jayree wrote:
Hello Sisters! I've learned so much lurking in the skin care forums, thank you so much. I learned about the use of estriol cream for the face here on EDS, and since I was already using a OTC progestin cream for insomnia, I began to experiment with estriol cream a couple of months ago. I first did a little reading on estriol, to make sure that I felt comfortable using it. I feel comfortable using it, but I understand this is a very personal decision.
In any case, I apply about 1/16th of a teaspoon every morning to my face. I mix it with a serum and apply it before my moisturizer with sunscreen. I have noticed a marked increase in the plumpness and I daresay firmness of my skin. I think some fine lines have flattened some too.
I know that everyone is different, but I just wanted to let my skincare sisters that I'm not going to let myself run out of this product any time soon! By the way, I use Smokey Mountain Naturals.
I'm so grateful to all of the forum who share their experiences.

Welcome jayree!!! It sounds like estriol is a great addition to a basic skincare regime for you as well as many others.
Keep us posted.

I just got a shpment from Smokey Mountain Naturals - progesterone and an estriol. I just ran out of LifeFlo and thought I'd give SMN a try.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
I realize this is an older post but I just saw it and wanted to respond...as it is completely incorrect info. There are studies indicating both topical estriol and topical estradiol are effective for treating skin aging (wrinkling, et al). On the other hand, topical progesterone can cause facial hair growth and scalp hair loss, and topical testosterone can cause facial hair growth and scalp hair loss to a greater magnitude than progesterone! NEVER use topical testosterone on your face!! Do the research.
fawnie wrote:
RE: ageing skin and estrogen creams, I came across this:

"Hormones. Topical testosterone, progesterone and pregnenolone all reduced wrinkling in human skin. Topical estrogen and topical stress hormones (like cortisol) on the other hand, sped up the aging process. Despite the benefits of some hormones, self-administering isn’t recommended. Despite their positives, they can come with serious side effects if used incorrectly."
http://blog.pharmacymix.com/5-ingredients-to-treat-damaged-skin

EEK!
beccachan
5% products discount

Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:06 am      Reply with quote
Maybe applying L-Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) is more effective than applying estrogen on face Smile
EthelM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:16 am      Reply with quote
beccachan wrote:
Maybe applying L-Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) is more effective than applying estrogen on face Smile

Estrogen (estradiol and/or estriol, topically) IS very effective. Search for the studies and read them.

While it is no doubt true that topical testosterone will thicken skin, it will also coarsen the skin---not a good look for a female. Women should not use testosterone topically on the face, or elsewhere as a skin rejuvenator. When used, it is generally dosed very minutely and prescribed for low libido issues, only.
yjackson

Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 am      Reply with quote
Just my 2 cents on this but don't use estrogen without progesterone... you should research first and make an informed decision Smile
EthelM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
You can use topical estriol 1% USP without progesterone. It is a weak estrogen.
If you are using transdermal or oral estradiol for hormone replacement therapy, and you still have a uterus, then indeed you should take progesterone with estradiol. However, topical estriol cream, in studies, was found not to affect uterine health. Indeed, do your research. Smile
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 pm      Reply with quote
I've used an estriol/estradiol blend for months and am now taking just estriol (Smokey Mtn Nat). I am still using progesterone. SMN recommended I continue progesterone.
I feel better taking the hormones - I feel as normal as 40 years old. Will I notice the difference without the estradiol Ethel? I just don't know what to expect. I never had cramps, PMS or anything in my younger years and was just guessing at the later years issues.

I know you can't know everything about me or such things but I appreciate your knowledge or opinions. Thanks. Sis

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:09 pm      Reply with quote
EthelM wrote:
You can use topical estriol 1% USP without progesterone. It is a weak estrogen.
If you are using transdermal or oral estradiol for hormone replacement therapy, and you still have a uterus, then indeed you should take progesterone with estradiol. However, topical estriol cream, in studies, was found not to affect uterine health. Indeed, do your research. Smile

I have a book that discusses use of estrogen replacemt (estriol and or estradiol) and the authors are well known in the field of BIHT. They say you should use your natural transdermal estrogen replacement in a private place - down under for best effectiveness. Not the usual inner thighs, inner arms. Food for thought.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Well, firstly, estriol cream USP (which I get from In House Pharmacy) is not a transdermal, per se. Transdermal formulations are usually delivered in patches. Cream formulations were designed to be used in/on the vagina, for affecting those tissues. So, perhaps that is part of the confusion...? Transdermal patches should not be used on the face, as ingredients in the patches often cause skin irritation. So we're possibly discussing two different things here.
IF you are taking any form of hormone replacement therapy for the purpose of balancing hormones, be it bioidentical or synthetic, and you still have a uterus, you do indeed need progesterone with the estradiol. Estriol is NOT an adequate estrogen for HRT, as it is too weak. The usual combination is estradiol with progesterone.

That said, estriol is ideal for strengthening tissues, and used in cream form, topically to the face, studies have shown that it does repair skin, and that it doesn't affect systemic hormones/uterine lining. I use topical estriol and I am not menopausal, and I have not experienced any disruption of my period from it, ever.

So, two different topics...one being systemic HRT (bio-id or not) and the other being skin rejuvenation/protection with a weak estrogen cream.
I hope this makes more sense. Smile

(SisterSweets, to respond to your first question, IF you are using the estriol/estradiol blend for systemic hormonal issues, such as those in perimenopause, then removing the estradiol will be an issue for you. Estriol is not a strong estrogen and estriol alone will not alleviate any perimenopausal symptoms. In fact, estriol is so weak that the supplemental progesterone will likely overpower and you will experience a different kind of hormone imbalance as a result. If you use progesterone, the estrogen to use with it is estradiol. )
bullet875
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:16 am      Reply with quote
Which is better for wrinkle prevention and to curtail sagging....estriol or progesterone?
EthelM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:45 am      Reply with quote
Estriol. The studies used topical estriol, as well as topical estradiol. Both forms of topical estrogens had positive effects on skin, and nearly equivalent improvement, with estradiol having slightly more side effects in regard to skin irritation, redness, etc. Estriol is the safer of the two to use topically, in my opinion.
Topical progesterone has a tendency to build up in the body, and cause unattractive adverse conditions when it does, including female scalp hair loss, facial hair growth, acne. It can act like a testosterone derivative (dht) when it accumulates.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |