Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Estriol Cream for the Face
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Interesting note - when I clicked on that link, I saw related study articles on the right hand side of the page and there's one study indicating that a certain progesterone cream was shown to increase skin elasticity.

We seem to have ways to increase collagen, but elasticity (or elastin?) is one that we around here have been hoping for.

BF

This is the main thing I am researching personally and there is conflicting information.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100003190.html

It is important to be aware that women using HRT have a slightly increased risk of stroke and of blood clots forming in the veins (eg deep vein thrombosis/pulmonary embolism) compared with women who don't use HRT. The risk is higher if you have existing risk factors (eg personal or family history, smoking, obesity, certain blood disorders - see cautions below) and needs to be weighed against the personal benefits to you of using HRT. There is more detailed information about the risks and benefits associated with HRT in the factsheet about the menopause linked above. Discuss these with your doctor before starting treatment.
The risk of blood clots forming in the veins (thromboembolism) while using HRT may be temporarily increased if you experience major trauma, have surgery, or are immobile for prolonged periods of time (this includes travelling for over five hours). For this reason, your doctor may recommend that you stop using HRT for a period of time (usually four to six weeks) prior to any planned surgery, particularly abdominal surgery or orthopaedic surgery on the lower limbs, or if you are to be immobile for long periods. The risk of blood clots during long journeys may be reduced by appropriate exercise during the journey and possibly by wearing elastic hosiery. Discuss this with your doctor.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
Lacy53 wrote:
I do believe Toby is using estriol cream for systemic effects? After all, I doubt she is applying it to make changes to her fatty areas of the skin (meaning her thighs). I could be wrong though!

This is what's confusing me. Obviously, people are using the Estriol cream to deal with hormonal fluctuations due to menopause - so there must be systemic effects. However, the first study I posted said there were no effects on vaginal swabs. The second study said to be mindful of the amount of Estriol used.

Some information says that for the Estriol to be effective in needs to be used in conjunction with Progesterone - that's confusing me too.

Anyway, I'm starting off with a 0.1% face cream because I do take HRT.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
I am not on BHRT or HRT but I am finding the same confusion Keliu! One says no worries about any of the usual side effects and another has warnings about them?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:33 am      Reply with quote
Right now, I probably have at least 5-10 books on endocrinology and menopause at home that I am wading through. At the same time, 5 or 6 on skincare and aging.

I also read info I find online.

**Much of it is contradictory.**

Personally, for me, I find it works to read them all and note the areas where the data converges - I then compare that to my personal circumstances and make a decision.

I think everyone has to determine his/her own comfort level with what they choose to apply on their skin and why - taking all related health factors into consideration. Not too different from the choices we make with prescriptions, food, etc.

BF
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:43 am      Reply with quote
Darkmoon,

i haven't done research on HRT for the last 9 years or so...so i'm most certainly not up to date...but at that time... i was researching everything i could find on the subject...and consulting with the cutting edge proponents/opponents of 'bio-identical' hormones...(i'm not quite happy w/that way of speaking about highly, intricately lab produced hormones even though they 'originated' from soy/yam...but it depends upon one's philosophical orientation as to constitutes life/bio-identity i suppose).

anyway i'm wondering what kind of HRT was used in the research regarding blood clots...as at the time i was researching HRT... studies were being done using horse urine derived estrogen... and i'm not sure where the progesterone came from...but it was not 'bio-identical' progesterone...

becuase at the time bio-identical hormones had not been researched significantly....perhaps this has changed at this point in time..but just wanted to make sure you were aware of the different kinds of HRT that may have used in different research projects.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:54 am      Reply with quote
I agree with your assessment Jasmine, they are all lab created/altered from nature as far as "BHRT" is concerned. I would not personally consider conventional HRT due to risks. However even on estirol "apparently the safest" I am running into conflicting information! Definitely need to do more research!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
I ordered some estriol (Estro500) online and it went bad in the mail. Sad I've tried to order it several times and am never able to.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Definitely need to do more research!

Are you wanting to use the Estriol cream or BHRT, Darkmoon?
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
gretchen wrote:
I ordered some estriol (Estro500) online and it went bad in the mail. Sad I've tried to order it several times and am never able to.

From http://progest50.com/estro500faq.htm :

What are the ingredients in Estro500?

There are two active ingredients: estriol and estradiol. Each pump contains approximately 1.0 mg of combined bio-identical human estrogens. 80% (or 0.8 mg) is estriol and 20% (0.2 mg) is estradiol. Estradiol is several times more potent than estriol.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
Definitely need to do more research!

Are you wanting to use the Estriol cream or BHRT, Darkmoon?

The Estriol,
Only as a facial cream, but as you are aware in my case (having very high iron levels) I want to know the consequences of using it in any form blood clots being the big concern.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
ok so from that article I read , you use the estriol cream every other day not every day?
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
ok so from that article I read , you use the estriol cream every other day not every day?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:

Which article and is it geared to vaginal dryness, menopause symptoms, or as a face cream?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
I read that estriol is not FDA approved...how come you can still buy it then?
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
so now I read that natural estrogen must be taken with progesterone....what???cant I just buy the cream and be done with it?
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.iherb.com/Life-Flo-Health-Estriol-Care-2-oz-57-g/16469?at=0 this one is only $11,free shipping at iherb when you buy a certain amount and it ships lightnng fast.....I once ordered it and the next day it was on my doorstep!
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:22 am      Reply with quote
DM,

Does your medical office have an advice hotline?

They have your records there, maybe you can call them and they can advise you?

BF
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
DM,

Does your medical office have an advice hotline?

They have your records there, maybe you can call them and they can advise you?

BF

Yes I do BF, actually my OB/GYN is excellent, and I plan on consulting with him, as soon as he returns from a well deserved vacation! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:15 am      Reply with quote
Life Flo Health, Estriol-Care, 2 oz (57 g)

Each full press of the pump provides approximately 0.75 mg of natural Estriol USP. Estriol-Care is formulated to contain 18 mg of estriol per ounce.

So does this product contain 3% Estriol? - I think it works out to be about that, but my math isn't very reliable.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:30 am      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:
I read that estriol is not FDA approved...how come you can still buy it then?

Here is the official FDA position on Estriol (as of April 8, 2008):

Myth: "Bio-identical" hormone products that contain estriol, a weak form of estrogen, are safer than FDA-approved estrogen products.

Fact: FDA has not approved any drug containing estriol. The safety and effectiveness of estriol are unknown. "No data have been submitted to FDA that demonstrate that estriol is safe and effective," according to Daniel Shames, M.D., a senior official in the FDA office that oversees reproductive products.

Myth: FDA wants all compounded hormone therapies off the market.

Fact: "We are not trying to pull all compounded hormone therapies off the market," says Silverman. "We believe that, like all traditionally compounded drugs, a woman should be able to get a compounded hormone therapy drug when her physician decides that it will best serve her specific medical needs. But we also want women to be informed and careful about choosing products that have not been proven safe and effective. And pharmacies cannot promote compounded drugs with false or misleading claims."

In addition, FDA has not approved any drug containing the hormone estriol. Pharmacies should not compound drugs containing estriol unless the prescriber has a valid investigational new drug (IND) application. INDs provide benefits that include allowing physicians to treat individual patients with drugs that are not FDA-approved, while also providing additional safeguards for patients.

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm049311.htm

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:43 am      Reply with quote
It looks like Estriol is available to compounding pharmacies from the U.S. Pharmacopeia (USP):

http://store.usp.org/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?a=b&item=18817

Here is the MSDS for Estriol:

http://www.usp.org/pdf/EN/referenceStandards/msds/1254508.pdf

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
As I do with sunscreens, I find it helpful to look at data on ingredients as studied outside of the US - the UK, Europe, Canada, Australia, etc. - these countries appear to be more focused on the health and safety of their citizens. Don't shoot me, just my opinion. It appears to me those countries do a better job of putting the citizens first.

BF
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:38 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
As I do with sunscreens, I find it helpful to look at data on ingredients as studied outside of the US - the UK, Europe, Canada, Australia, etc. - these countries appear to be more focused on the health and safety of their citizens. Don't shoot me, just my opinion. It appears to me those countries do a better job of putting the citizens first.

BF

I agree with most of what you have said Barefootgirl. But even when you search for information on Estriol outside of the US sources there isn't a lot to be found really. And there is even less to be found for topical application of Estriol on the face to reduce the signs of aging ... that's really what this thread is about. For example, I searched on Maturitas (Estriol within All Periodicals) and didn't find much that was relevant.

One thing I would like to caution people about: look at the date of the studies. The level of knowledge back in the 1980's and 1990's about estrogens in general is not equal to what is now known (or suspected). It is also important to look at sample size and duration of the study.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:49 am      Reply with quote
I also wonder if the amount of the cream used makes any difference? What I use on my face is about the same amt as the Retin A, pea size. I don't use HRT so I'm really not sure of the amount used, but I thought it would be much more. Also I didn't post, that my dr. recommends this for his patients who are over menopause.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
Generally speaking, both concentration of the active ingredient in the product and amount of product used will matter. While searching around on the non-American websites, I noticed that many women talk about using Ovestin as their estriol cream. In this particular formulation, it comes with a dosage applicator and when filled to the indicated mark will result in 0.5g Ovestin Cream containing 0.5 mg estriol. Of course, this in manufactured for intravaginal use (for the treatment of postmenopausal symptoms) and isn't officially made for the face.

You can read about Ovestin here:

http://www.medicines.org.uk/EMC/medicine/1387/SPC/Ovestin+Cream/#furtherInfo

Section 5.2 Pharmacokinetic properties states that:

After administration of Ovestin Cream, estriol is also absorbed from the vagina into the general circulation, shown by a sharp rise in plasma estriol, followed by a gradual decline.

After 3 weeks of administration of a single daily dose, a similar absorption pattern to that seen for a single application was observed.

Daily treatment with 0.5 mg of estriol (in 0.5 g of cream) leads to a sharp rise in unconjugated plasma estriol levels to 110 pg/ml at one hour from previously undetectable levels (<12 pg/ml). This was followed by a gradual decline during the next 5 hours to around 60 pg/ml.

On day 21 of treatment, mean baseline estriol levels of about 26 pg/ml rose to a mean peak value of 95 pg/ml at 1 hour. A decline similar to that seen on day 1 was observed during the next 5 hours.

Vaginal administration permits the absorption of the active (unconjugated, or free) form of estriol into the blood for transport to the target tissues, prior to its inactivation via conjugation by enterohepatic enzymes.

Ovestin appears to be a "prescription only" cream in the UK.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:10 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |