Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
How to create volume in flat hair?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Sunnylee
5% products discount

Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using creative Pro's texture thickening creme to stop the hair in the front of my head from lying flat. I have long hair and this does work but only through mid day. I've also been using root awakening spray by big sexy hair, but again only a mid day fix. Any suggestions to keep more volume in the front of my hair?
Time2Bme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
Are you getting the lift while your hair is drying? I have curly hair, so I only diffuse it until it is about 70% dry. Until it is about 60% dry, I diffuse my hair with clips in it. I take pieces of hair on either side of part and pinch it up. I then use a duckbill clip to hold it there.

After my hair is about 60% dry, I remove the clips and put some bobbypins in my hair. I conceal the bobbypins under the pieces of hair. It allows me to avoid the flat look, but still keeps my hair from flopping in my face or stitting flat on top. I continue diffusing for a few more minutes. My hair doesn't look like its full of bobbypins. It looks 'done'. I go to work with them in my hair.

After my hair is 100% dry .. or later in the day, whenever I have time, I remove all the bobbypins and using my fingers underneath my hair, close to my scalp, I loosen everything and scrunch my hair. It breaks up any clumps that were being held in place by the bobbypins. I remove almost all the bobbypins and then just put a few back in to hold my hair back - again I conceal them in my hair. This gives me a lot of volume and prevents that flat-top look.

I realize that this won't work as well if you are blowing drying your hair straight ... but maybe you can still use the clips to give you volume as your hair is drying. It is a technique that is pretty commonly used for curly haired gals !

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:54 am      Reply with quote
Dry shampoo gives volume. Spray it in, wait a couple of minutes, comb or brush it out. Just don't buy Cedel brand because it's too hard to comb/brush out.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:25 am      Reply with quote
I have fine but thick flat straight hair...my stylist says the worst type of hair to work with Rolling Eyes The only thing that has made a major difference and given me lift is the Marilyn brush. I bought my first one at a salon and paid big bucks for it and then found it at Sally's for next to nothing. I also have ordered others off ebay. There is something to this brush because when I use it my hair has major volume and lift and stays....nothing else, and I mean nothing else works on my hair. Very Happy I used to have to get perms just to create volume and texture in my hair....since using this brush I no longer have to have a perm!
This is a link to information about the brush....not sure if Sally's still carries it but google around and you can find it.
http://marilynbrush.com/

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
I have fine but thick flat straight hair...my stylist says the worst type of hair to work with The only thing that has made a major difference and given me lift is the Marilyn brush. I bought my first one at a salon and paid big bucks for it and then found it at Sally's for next to nothing. I also have ordered others off ebay. There is something to this brush because when I use it my hair has major volume and lift and stays....nothing else, and I mean nothing else works on my hair. I used to have to get perms just to create volume and texture in my hair....since using this brush I no longer have to have a perm!
This is a link to information about the brush....not sure if Sally's still carries it but google around and you can find it.
http://marilynbrush.com/

Shock Wow, volume speaks to me when it comes to hair! Thanks for this fantastic tip, Toby. Can I ask which model you have? I've never heard of this brush but I already want one! Laughing
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:30 pm      Reply with quote
I posted this review of Sojourn Volume shampoo on the Reviews forum.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=40289

This stuff really works.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:31 am      Reply with quote
havana8,
I am heading out the door but later tonight I will post a picture of my brush...they do have several kinds and I want to show the one I have found that works really well. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Okay I have some information on the Marilyn brush....mine is the http://www.beautydeals.net/shop/list.html?categ=224
Marilyn Jeli ceramic 1 3/4"
Marilyn Jeli ceramic 2"
My hair is shoulder length and fine and VERY straight. I like it to look full of volume and bouncy with some loose large slight curl. The smaller brush helps to get some turn in and the larger one is good but at times doesn't put as much curl in.I go back and forth with which I like the best. If my hair wasn't so stick straight I would go for the 2" hands down.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:45 am      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
Okay I have some information on the Marilyn brush....mine is the http://www.beautydeals.net/shop/list.html?categ=224
Marilyn Jeli ceramic 2"
My hair is shoulder length and fine and VERY straight. I like it to look full of volume and bouncy with some loose large slight curl. The smaller brush helps to get some turn in and the larger one is good but at times doesn't put as much curl in.I go back and forth with which I like the best. If my hair wasn't so stick straight I would go for the 2" hands down.

Okay this is me with my grandson a couple of weeks ago, my hair looks shorter than it is and I used the brush and then a 1 1/4" curling hair. This is the amount of body and curl I am talking about. The lift in the top of the hair shows here and that is what the brush does.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:42 am      Reply with quote
Wow Toby you look amazing! Very Happy
mowgli
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:24 am      Reply with quote
Toby do you use a specific technique when using these brushes or do you use it like a normal brush?

You look great btw!

32, still using: OCM, vitc C, epidermx, ageless (for my lips), now added clarisonic, silk pillow and Aldi skincare! Skin is better than ever 31, medium olive skin, combination-oily. Staples: epidermx II, OCM, retin-a, vit c powder, facial exercises (ageless).
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:25 am      Reply with quote
Gosh Toby, you can definitely pass as the boy's mother! And such a cute baby!!

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
rmc7
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:09 am      Reply with quote
Toby you ARE so beautiful! Oh, and your grandson is adorable. I think I need to drink those green things that you drink!!I am so impressionable Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:57 am      Reply with quote
mowgli wrote:
Toby do you use a specific technique when using these brushes or do you use it like a normal brush?

You look great btw!

I appreciate the compliments I think the Lightstim and serum are really perking the skin up lately. Now for the technique I promise you I am the worst ever with blowing my hair dry with a round brush. I use vavoom mousse and blow my hair partially dry and then use the round brush. I could never get the hang of twirling the brush with one hand and holding the dryer with the other so I use section the hair and roll it around the brush and then hold it there and aim the dryer nozzle at the root area and hold it there for 15 sec and then move to another section. The technique isn't like the pros do but the result is good. I then use the curling iron with some type of texturizing spray and complete the process. It takes both to give me volume, but I promise this brush is the only one that really gives me the volume that I need.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
Well, if hair is short, yeah you will get body. For longer hair large rollers always do it for me. Blow drying and adding more hair products doesn't do it for me.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:47 am      Reply with quote
I have thinning hair and I use PHYTO phytovolume actif volumizer spray.I buy it at KAMAY beauty supply its expensive $25 BUT I spray it underneath my hair and then blowdry it running my fingers up to give it volume and my hair LOOKS 3 times as thick when I use it,I get so much volume makes your hair look like a movie star.
havana8

Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:41 am      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
Marilyn Jeli ceramic 2"

Thanks for this, Toby. I would surely have gotten the wrong brush. Smile Thanks for the photo also--you look lovely and vibrant.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
I use a big curling iron and quickly clamp the roots and move down the shaft so as not to leave a dent. I also tease the roots and use hairspray.
JonnyNJ
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:12 am      Reply with quote
Just like Toby and Softskin I use a large curling iron. I don't worry much about the volume that I get when I blow dry because the curling iron does all of the volume work for me.
I use VO5 Extra Body shampoo ($0.99) and I never use conditioner. I also use hair gels that give a crispy hold rather than a soft hold. The gels that give the crispy type hold have a variant of plastic in them.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:12 am      Reply with quote
JonnyNJ wrote:
I also use hair gels that give a crispy hold rather than a soft hold. The gels that give the crispy type hold have a variant of plastic in them.

I love to get some of the crispy feel to my hair that means body,texture, and some volume are there for a while. What kind of gel? By the way I used to not worry about the blow drying either because it never really made the difference that the curling iron does but once I got this Marilyn brush I got double volume(one from blow drying and second from curling iron and products).

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
My favorite gel is "la bella" super spikes styling gel. The label says fast drying, defy gravity. The hold rating on the bottle is 10, xtreme hold. It is a pale yellow color.

It is very inexpensive, about $3. It can be found in some drugstores, grocery stores, some Walmarts, and of course online.

It has a higher concentration of acrylates in it than other gels and less gooey, slimy stuff. Aside from giving extra volume, my hairstyle lasts much longer and it doesn't feel/get dirty for longer. There are probably other similar gels, but I haven't looked for any.

My next favorite gel is the standard LA Looks gel with the 10, mega xtreme hold. This one is easier to find. Just about all drugstores and grocery stores sell LA Looks products.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
What is the application for the gel....right before blow drying when the hair is wet?? or apply to dry hair before curling iron?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
I'd worry that the gel would be like glue and I'd rip out or break my hair trying to get the strands unstuck. I even have to be careful with Finesse mousse, making sure to unstick all the strands before it dries. I'm not a morning person so shampoo at night before bed and then in the morning use my curling iron.

When I have the time, I use my snap in Jose Ebert human hair extensions that I bought about twenty years ago. They go underneath my hair to fluff it up and you can't see them, unlike the bumpits and those little rollers made out of fake hair that I bought at Ulta. I'd like to find more of the clip in extensions but the ones I've found online are very expensive.
chloes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Crimp the underlayers of your hair near the roots. If your hair is not really thin, it won't be noticeable.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
I have thin fine hair that tends to fall flat and have been using Sally Hershberger Style Primer. John Frieda Luxurious Volume also works well for me. Have just been reading about a new product that sounds intersting-- Liqwd. It's supposed to make the hair volumized and soft for days, according to Rachel Zoe.
http://liqwd.com/

http://www.rachelzoe.com/liqwd-volumizing-spray
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:20 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |