Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Do you agree with "Great Looking Eyes at Every Age"
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:13 am      Reply with quote
I saw the Title and got interested but the article didn't focus on just the eyes. Anyway I wonder if there's any truth to it. Do you agree with the article? I was focusing more in the 40s and 50s. I have a friend who is in her 50s and is just starting to date. She wants to put on makeup and doesn't know how. I am trying to help her and also give her advice on how to take care of her skin which she never did pay any attention to it until now. Is it too late for her? Her skin is very rough and has a lot of sun damaged spots.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/455/great-looking-eyes-at-every-age/

Quote:
Some say that your eyes are the windows to your soul, but if they're looking tired and saggy, the guy checking you out in line at the grocery store might not even get to the soul part. Here, get expert tips and makeup tricks to have radiant, perky eyes around the clock.

20s: Start Prepping

Wrinkles might be the last thing you see near your eyes in your twenties, but dark circles from lack of sleep or one too many cocktails are probably frequent visitors on your face. This doesn't directly age you, but it sure as heck makes you look older. Dr. David E. Bank, MD, suggests using a good eye cream to slow down the aging process and keep wrinkles away longer. Apply a lighter cream with SPF in the morning, like Neutrogena Visibly Firm Eye Cream, and a thicker one at night like RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Night Cream. To avoid breakouts, steer clear of creams that contain octyl stearate, which can clog pores and leave your skin feeling greasy.

Pair this routine with getting at least seven hours of sleep, not smoking, and eating relatively healthy. You're not young forever, after all!

Neutrogena Visibly Firm Eye Cream, Yahoo! Shopping

RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Night Cream, Yahoo! Shopping

20s: Try Anything Once
"In your 20s, you really can get away with pretty much anything," says makeup artist and brow expert Ramy of RAMY Beauty Therapy. "Heavy eyeliner, bright colors, super dark eyes this is the time to experiment."

One thing to stay away from? Permanent makeup, he advises. Other than that, "use sunblock and anything with shimmer. This is the period of your life where you need to experience trial and error."

30s: Start with a Serum
Since the first signs of aging usually happen around the eyes, you may start to see some differences in your thirties, warns Bank. "On top of the beginning appearances of crow's feet, you'll notice that your skin is drier and duller in color. This is because the rate of new cells being produced by your skin is starting to slow down."

Bank recommends investing in an eye cream to rejuvenate the skin, like Neocutis Biogel or a serum, like Lancôme Rénergie Microlift R.A.R.E Eye Serum to help tighten fine lines and brighten up dark circles. "Stay away from eye creams with sodium chloride or isopropyl myristate, as these ingredients can irritate your skin and lead to excessive dryness," says Bank.

Neocutis Biogel, Yahoo! Shopping

Lancôme Rénergie Microlift R.A.R.E Eye Serum, Yahoo! Shopping

30s: Start Paying Attention

It's time to start being a bit more strategic to how you apply your makeup, says Ramy. Start with a primer on your eyes and face for smooth skin that will make applying makeup a breeze. Ramy also recommends using a moisturizing concealer around the entire orb of the eye to lift and bring them forward. "Avoid black eyeliner, which can be too severe and switch out for a softer shade. Eyeliner and mascara to the upper lash line only will also give you some extra lift," he says.

40s: Hydrate Your Skin

By the time you're in your forties, the years of sun damage you did in your twenties finally start to rear its ugly head. That, on top of what Bank calls your lymphatic drainage — the way your body gets rid of toxins decreases in speed to result in puffiness around the eyes and much thinner skin. Since sebum production is also starting to slow (how your skin stays moisturized and sometimes too oily), invest in a rich moisturizer and a skin brightener to lighten up a tired complexion.

Try Olay Regenerist Eye Lifting Serum or L'Oreal Plenitude Revitalift Anti-Wrinkle Firming Cream to fix worn out eyes and tighten up puffy skin.

Olay Regenerist Eye Lifting Serum, Yahoo! Shopping

L'Oreal Dermo-Expertise Advanced RevitaLift Anti-Wrinkle Concentrate, Yahoo! Shopping

40s: Skip the Powder

Primers are especially great at this age, but what you really should be using are foundations and tinted moisturizers with anti-aging and firming ingredients, says Ramy. Powder can cling to the lines in your face, which tends to add years on, not take them away. "Define your eyes by adding a light liner to your lower lash line," suggests Ramy. "If you have a lipstick shade you love, get a brighter look all over by adding a sheer gloss on top to make your skin really pop."

50s and Beyond: Stop Wrinkled Lids

"A key sign of aging around the eyes is when your eyelids become hooded and wrinkled," says Bank. "This shows that the skin's elasticity is starting to break down." Bank suggests trying a vitamin A retinol-based product to help firm up and even out skin tone. By applying regularly, you can actually speed up the production of new skin cells and collagen.

Moisturizing is even more vital for a healthy complexion now, and finding a hard working night cream can do wonders on dry skin as you sleep. Try NeoCutis Lumiere Bio-restorative Eye Cream with PSP for day and Clinique Anti-Gravity Firming Eye Lift Cream for nighttime use.

NeoCutis Lumiere Bio-restorative Eye Cream, Yahoo! Shopping

Clinique Anti-Gravity Firming Eye Lift Cream, Yahoo! Shopping

50s and Beyond: Less is More
Take this mantra to heart when it comes to your makeup routine. "Skip the eye shadow and apply a neutral liner to your upper lash line only," says Ramy. "Mascara can still be black, but used only on your upper lashes. My rule of thumb is to add an additional coat of mascara for every decade over twenty years old."
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
WTH?

Take this mantra to heart when it comes to your makeup routine. "Skip the eye shadow and apply a neutral liner to your upper lash line only," says Ramy. "Mascara can still be black, but used only on your upper lashes. My rule of thumb is to add an additional coat of mascara for every decade over twenty years old."

Assuming you use only 1 coat of mascara in your twenties (not sure all do this) you have 4 coats by fifty, and 5 coats by sixty, 6 coats by seventy? At fifty that would look like you had spider legs on your lashes and at sixty tarantula legs forget seventy. Are you kidding me?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
I'm going to guess Ramy is 30. Or a man. Laughing

DarkMoon wrote:
WTH?

Assuming you use only 1 coat of mascara in your twenties (not sure all do this) you have 4 coats by fifty, and 5 coats by sixty, 6 coats by seventy? At fifty that would look like you had spider legs on your lashes and at sixty tarantula legs forget seventy. Are you kidding me?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
I personally don't agree with only applying mascara to your upper lashes. I think the bottom lashes also need a coat just to balance your eyes.

And... I think women of every age can wear eye shadow as well.

I love wearing make-up! There are no hard and fast rules but even in my 40's, I'm still using black eyeliner and love a bit of shimmer on my cheeks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
I personally don't agree with only applying mascara to your upper lashes. I think the bottom lashes also need a coat just to balance your eyes.

And... I think women of every age can wear eye shadow as well.

I love wearing make-up! There are no hard and fast rules but even in my 40's, I'm still using black eyeliner and love a bit of shimmer on my cheeks!

At 56 I am on the same page as you, mascara on lower lashes or I look weird, shadow and black liner! I just have a lighter touch than when I was a teen!
I just couldn't resist the more is less but add a coat of mascara for every decade after 20, contradiction much? Bad Grin Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:44 am      Reply with quote
At 56 I go for the no-makeup to low-makeup look. The most aging things an older woman can do:hair that is too dark, red lipstick, black eyeliner. I totally disagree with the mascara tip. I do only one gentle swipe of mascara,BUT I grow them long with lumigan AND I curl them with either the Sheseido eyelash curler or the one you heat with the blow dryer,that really makes your eyes pop,not 5 layers of mascara. A VERY light touch of mascara on lower lashes.Less is more at that age. Just work on keeping your skin looking young. Minimal amount foundation. There is a book I bought that is excellent,I think its called how NOT to look old...something like that its a pretty good guide on how to dress, put your makeup on and style and color your hair to keep from looking matronly.
Time2Bme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
I wear more makeup now than I did when I was younger. I'm 44 now, but my makeup looks more natural than it did when I was in my 20's.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
Time2Bme wrote:
I wear more makeup now than I did when I was younger. I'm 44 now, but my makeup looks more natural than it did when I was in my 20's.

LOL, If you know what you are doing it can look awesome! I used to do makeup for wedding parties and photo shoots that included teens to 80-90 year old ladies! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
Exactly !!! Add in great lighting and a fan and you'll still be gorgeous at 100 !!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
Time2Bme wrote:
Exactly !!! Add in great lighting and a fan and you'll still be gorgeous at 100 !!!!

Loooooovvvvveeee it!!!
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
i've posted this before...but my mom, at age 92,looks like a retired French movie star and is acknowledged as the beauty of her assisted living facility by all the young women who work there as well as the older folks! (and she loves being made up..and even w/advanced alzheimer's she is still very particular about the color she wants for her lips and nails!)

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
That's awesome JR... It's women like your Mama that give the folks who work there a little bit of joy just by being who she is.

On another note: - I want to look like a French Movie star when I'm in my 90's. I'm half french so ... maybe??? Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:17 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I'm going to guess Ramy is 30. Or a man. Laughing

DarkMoon wrote:
WTH?

I think Ramy is a guy and super lame.
You can wear bright eye makeup whenever you want.
ok, well maybe not if you work in a professional office, then keep that to the times after work.

My aunt is 60 and has no eye wrinkles at all, but then she uses good skincare her whole life.
Time2Bme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:08 am      Reply with quote
I love it JasmineRosey ... good for your Mom!!

I love to see women continue to take pride in their appearance regardless of their age. Taking pride in your appearance doesn't necessarily have to include makeup, but for those who like it and still apply it properly, I think it can make the world of difference in how you see yourself. I've watched several girlfriends 'check-out' recently. Now they only wear makeup and do their hair nicely for evenings out. I don't like to see that. It is like giving the world a message that you're not worth the effort. I'm not saying that you have to be dolled up all the time, but when you admittedly feel like a frump, the quickest way out of the frumps is to put some effort into yourself ... IMHO !!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
My 51-year-old friend asked me to buy her some lipsticks, eyeshadow, and blush. Based on this article and just from my own personal experience, I thought neutral color would be good for her eyelids. Her upper lids are hooded, so there's no crease you can apply different color that will show. Also eyeliner would be a waste on her lids, too. So I thought just beige or very light brown on the upper lids, and light pink for lipstick, as well as light pink blush should do her good. Now, I should have suggested a foundation to help cover up and even out the skin tone. As mentioned, her skin is rough due to lack of care through her 51 years. The good news is the guy doesn't seem to notice. He already told her he couldn't believe she's 51 as she looked younger to him than 51.

Do you agree with this color scheme for my friend? I'm not a makeup artist and don't have much experience with makeup, but whenever I tried darker color on myself, it looks awful, and I've been settling for neutral color and lighter color, so I thought my friend who is older than me should use the same color scheme, too.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
I think it partly depends on the skin tone. I am the oddball for a dark brunette, neutrals and greys make me look like a corpse that hasn't got the sense to lay down, and it's always been the case since I started wearing makeup at 13! I have to have color, but it's softer, lighter shades than I could wear when younger.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
I should add that neutrals do work well for most women so I didn't intend to put you off! My trick with liner is a very thin yet soft line, basically worked into the lash base.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
What I now use for liner is eye shadow. I use an angled brush to apply it. I like the look better than the tradional liners. It is a softer look. I use this for under my eyes. I only line from my iris to the side. I don't line the whole way to the corner underneath my eye.

For the top of the eyelid, I like to use gel liners. I love the angled brush that Smashbox has. It makes it a lot easier to get the liner really close to the lash line. My favourite gel liners are the ones by Bobbi Brown. They last all day and are easy to put on. I think it is really important to keep the liners close to the lash line ... otherwise, all you see is a line, rather than the eye itself.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
I use the Smashbox Gel Liners as well! Another trick that works is applying your shadow after the liner it helps soften the liner. I agree very close to the lashline works best! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
I use Bobbi Brown eye gel for my eye liner. it give me no racoon eye in the afternoon Bad Grin
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
i've posted this before...but my mom, at age 92,looks like a retired French movie star and is acknowledged as the beauty of her assisted living facility by all the young women who work there as well as the older folks! (and she loves being made up..and even w/advanced alzheimer's she is still very particular about the color she wants for her lips and nails!)

That is so sweet! Good for your mother.
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks DM for your input. My friend's skin color is dark. Today I told her to practice putting on some makeup. The light colors hardly showed on her. Sad

Also her lip lines are really dark nearly black like someone who smokes but she doesn't. So when she put on lipstick, it looked sort of strange with the light pink in the middle and almost black rims. I asked her to put the lipstick right up to her lip lines. She did that and also added lip brush directly on to the dark lip lines, and it started to look better.

Her eyes are a real challenge for me. I'm afraid to use color like blue or green as it will make her upper lids stand out. The lids are showing signs of aging, i.e. wrinkling a bit, and as they sag, it seemed harder to make her eyes look better.

I think she really needs a good foundation. I'm thinking of getting her the L'Oreal True Match Foundation. Anyone using this?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:01 am      Reply with quote
Natalyn,

2 suggestions would be a lip liner that matches the lipstick applied first so there isn't that obvious lined look on her lips.
A shadow primer that she can use from lash to brow helps open the eye and smooth the crinkled skin. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:31 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Natalyn,

2 suggestions would be a lip liner that matches the lipstick applied first so there isn't that obvious lined look on her lips.
A shadow primer that she can use from lash to brow helps open the eye and smooth the crinkled skin. Smile

Thank you. I have never heard of a shadow primer. What exactly is that?
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
Urban Decay has great reviews for a shadow primer.

A suggestion For lips - to get a nice outline I love this tip from Middle Ageless blog - use a very neutral - skin tone like Cargo reverse lip liner... you can slightly outline at the very top (bow) and bottom with this and then put a subtle line over (I use Lauren Hutton's) and fill in. VERY natural and will fill out the lip beautifully. A great look.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:16 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |