Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
long hair over 40
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
My hair has thinned out a lot since my late 30s and no longer looks that great past my shoulders. I've discussed this on other web boards and people keep insisting that their & other's hair looks great long past 40. If this is true, share your secrets.

Actually I think in my own case my hair is simply too thin to be worn long. I would have to use something like Folligen to thicken it up.

http://www.momlogic.com/2009/01/designer_says_long_hair_over_4.php
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 47 and my hair is probably to the middle of my back right now. A little long for me, but I haven't had time to get anywhere for a trim. I think long hair on anyone doesn't look good if it is just straight and stringy looking. I think it is all in the style/volume if long hair looks good or not.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
I love long hair and I think it it's trimmed and conditioned and looks healthy (not thin and stringy) go for it - no matter what age. My Nana had hair to her waist all her life and twisted it up in an elegant roll and it was beautiful - hair combs, etc.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:33 am      Reply with quote
My hair, at age 65 is currently a few inches longer than my shoulder...it still looks quite thick for some days after i wash it...after that i do other styles w/it..braids...homemeade silk headbands,etc..

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
tessera
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:42 am      Reply with quote
I'm 53 and my fine, straight hair is about 2 inches past my collar bone. A couple of years ago, it began thinning badly, so I investigated. It turns out that I am allergic to regular hair color (I was trying to cover the gray in my dark brown hair) and had thyroid issues. I am now taking Synthroid and coloring my hair with a mix of henna, indigo and buxus to blend the gray. (The coloring also has a beneficial thickening effect.) Several months ago, I also started treatments with Mega-Tek and Folligen for Blondes a few times per week. I'm happy to report quite a bit of new growth (I mean additional hair growing back)around the hairline, so something seems to be working.

As for style, I use volumizing products and blow drying to give it body, which lasts about a day. Sometimes I flat iron it for extra polish. I also wear it in a french braid or a low ponytail, and I'm going to practice a french twist this weekend. Truthfully, I don't have the patience to fuss with it all the time the way I had to do when it was shorter. And my husband likes it long. Smile

ETA: I forgot to say that while I don't feel too old for long hair, I do feel too old (not quite right... maybe "too adult" is better) for "messy" styles - the beachy waves, the updo with pieces sticking out all over. I like it classic. YMMV!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:01 am      Reply with quote
Me too, I have long hair and it's thick as well. I've used Mega-Tek in the past, love it. I actually just gave away my bottle to someone who needed it more than I do. I normally use Fekkai, Kim Vo, and been trying some new Paul Mitchell products called Awapuhi.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
49 with hair just past my shoulders and can't picture it any other way.

I will say that in the past couple of years, the texture has changed to more coarse and I am trying to find out why....

It does take more maintenance now, I am finding.

BF
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
I think long hair can look great on women over 40, but not if it is thin (in fact, anyone of any age doesn't look good with thin hair, IMHO).

I wore my hair about 2 inches past my shoulders until about a year ago when I did one of those "what the heck, cut it shorter for a change" things with my stylist. I got it cut an inch or two above my shoulders. I got tons of compliments after that, even a few that said "you look 10 years younger!!" It's been shorter ever since!
Blaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
Mid-40's here, with hair down to my waist. It's not as thick as it was in my younger days, but still has volume. I agree with everyone here who says that as long as you can keep it trimmed and well-groomed, go for it. If it's just nasty, then cut it short. My hair is coarser now, but I can still straighten it and comes out great. I love the Redken products (Smooth Down). O ya, I dye it rich black and I get a lot of compliments. So, I say, defy what other fashion "experts" dictate and find where you're happy. Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
56 and it is down to where my bra hooks! My hair has always been baby fine but super thick and hasn't changed but unlike most it's gotten straighter and straighter since I hit around 40? Laughing
I can't imagine it short, the shortest I go is a bit past shoulder length and I will dye until the day I die!!! Bad Grin

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a little past 40 and my hair is around mid back. All hairdressers complain my hair is very thick even though I'm worried that I'm losing too much hair every day. It's not the same thickness I had in my 20s, but yes, it's still thick compared to most other people. My hair is straight and very shiny. It does have volume. I use magnesium gel when I shampoo. It helps my hair more manageable.
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I will be 40 in a few weeks and can't see myself cutting my hair any time soon and mine is almost to my bra strap. I have very thick naturally wavy/curly hair and it's in great shape. I think the thickness and condition of your hair makes all the difference on whether or not you can wear it long past 40. But being that I get taken for about 27 to 30 all the time, that might help a bit...hehe

I do straight iron it as well and have been using One N Only Argan oil products, taking MSN daily and eating heathly which really contributes to the healthy appearance of my mane and it's one of my most complimented features.

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
Time2Bme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:12 am      Reply with quote
I recently cut hair to a bob-length, just above my shoulders. It had been at my bra strap. I'm 44yrs old.

I had been determined to get my hair down to the middle of my back before I decided whether longer hair suited me. I have always gone for regular cuts and take very good care of my hair. Even though my hair was really healthy and looked good at the longer length, it does suit my face more at the length it is now.

I think the key to beautiful hair is that (a) it is healthy and (b) that the style suits your face. I don't think it is about age so much as about face and body type. I found that my longer hair was bringing my face down; whereas the shorter length adds life to my face and brings out my features, rather than dragging them down.

While I can see why people make statements about age and long hair, it still irks me a little !!! If someone's hair is not clean, poor cut, unhealthy, etc etc ... it doesn't matter how old they are or how long their hair is - their hair will be a faux-pas. If your hair is nice and the style and length flatters you, what does age matter?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
Tessera..i have been letting my hair grow out gray for the last 6 month and now can def say it's not right for me at this time...i have ordered henna and indigo from the henna for body art site..and plan to do my swatch tests tonight..may i ask you a few questions?

A. what does the buxus add to the henna and indigo combo
B. what % of each do you use to get your dark brown color..and how long do you leave the mix on your hair.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
cupcakeaddict

Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
Wow..it's so nice to hear from other women with a similar issue...My hair is one big complaint to me. I have fine hair but lots of it, it also has unruly curl and hardly any grey. I am 41 years old and had my child at 39. It has taken almost 20 months for the recovery of my hair since pregnancy. Since then, my fine hair feels much thinner and less shiny. I am talking about the new growth stuff too. I can only assume it is hormonal at this point. I have had my thyroid checked and it came back normal. I also partially highlight my hair in front, the rest is my natural and I only do this a few times a year so my hair can be sort of healthy. I also taken a multi-vitamin and high omega 3-6-9 complex. I keep it at around chin length too.

I use AG light wash shampoo and conditioner. It's ok nothing special. I used to use Alterna's Caviar and really liked it but cannot seem to find it since I moved to Canada. I use Kerastase's volumactive root spray and sometimes Kerastase's Lait Nutri-Sculpt for my ends only. Anything else just is too heavy and weighs my hair down. After only 24 hrs, the hair feels greasy. It's a constant battle. I would like to find a better shampoo and conditioner, I have tried most everything around.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:44 am      Reply with quote
I'm 58 and my hair is long and gray and curly and hangs to the middle of my back, even with the 2 inches I had cut this week! I've had several men stop me in the last year and tell me "don't ever cut your hair." Men love long hair! Wink

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Marie-Andree
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:40 am      Reply with quote
I have long hair to mid back and am 59. I never dyed my hair, but it still has a lot of dark brown. If I hadn't had my hair layered several years ago (V shaped in back), I don't think that I would have wanted hair past my shoulders.
With my thick hair very layered, it now has a curl that looks like I go often to the beauty parlour. I go every year or 2 for a trim.
I wash my hair once a week and never use the blowdryer.
I had 4 inches cut off a couple of months ago and my husband almost cried: I'm joking but he is that crazy about my long hair.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:52 am      Reply with quote
I have never had anything but short hair until around 45. I now have shoulder length hair(age 55) cut in long layers. I wear it down after washing for a couple of days and then wear it up for several days. I love being able to wear it both ways. I find a truthful friend and ask them about what my hair looks like to them(both color and style). Although I wear my hair to please myself.......when I look back at some old pictures I realize I could have used a trusted friend's advice. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:02 am      Reply with quote
It would be fun to see each others hair! I have a picture of my hair from the back I want to post, but can't figure out how to do it. I tried hitting the "Image" button at the top of this window, but can't figure out how to attach a photo from my files.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:15 am      Reply with quote
Send it to me and I will post it if you want. I will pm my email.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
Okay this is a picture of Mountain girl....now this is hair with great volume and she has great legs too.....I imagine that is from out door hiking!!! Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I am nearly 40, still have long hair, to my waist. I really think it depends on the condition of your hair. I colour mine , and use good quality product on it. I still get compliments on my hair.

Very Happy
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
lipglossdoll wrote:
Hi, I am nearly 40, still have long hair, to my waist. I really think it depends on the condition of your hair. I colour mine , and use good quality product on it. I still get compliments on my hair.

Very Happy

Well take heart LGD, I have 17 years on you (well 57 in Feb.) and I dye mine and condition it like mad and I still hear what beautiful hair I have so it is a matter of condition and if you have the face shape for long hair it can look even on an old crony like me! Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
MG,
That is quite a nice full head of hair! Toby is right you have the legs of a hiker! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Great hair MG, love it!! And I must say you have the legs of a 20-something hiker! Laughing My gosh, I wish mine looked like that....

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |