Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
rub-off exfoliating products (not scrubs)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
aliasjanedoe
5% products discount

Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:47 am      Reply with quote
I have very oily skin, but it's also flaky, so I've no idea how to classify it. The oily thing I can sort of manage with powder throughout the day, but alas putting powder over the peeling makes me look like I have a horrible skin disease. It's like I have a sunburn (I have some redness also), but I'm never in the sun and I don't use any products that aren't for sensitive skin.

Anyway, I've been trying everything to get rid of the little peely flake things. Scrub exfoliating products don't make them go away, and I've tried all different kinds from gentle to harsh. Scrubbing pads work a tiny bit better, but not much. And my skin is ultra sensitive (redness and break-outs), so I fear any chemical peel type stuff.

I've tried internet solutions like sticking tape on your face and peeling it off, but that irritated and didn't help. I've tried lotions, hydrocordisone creams, and even diaper rash ointment (I need to stop trusting random things I find online).

No, I haven't tried all these things immediately one after another. This has been an ongoing problem for me for YEARS.

If I want to apply makeup, I first glop on lotion then firmly wipe it off using a tissue to try to remove the flakes. I still end up picking at least a dozen of them off with tweezers after putting on powder.

Getting to the point, I've been googling and have found several mentions of rub-off creams that you put on, let dry for a few minutes, then rub off and they take the dead skin with them. They apparently cause no irritation. Yet nobody mentioned brand names. Do you guys think this would help me? Do you know of any that work, preferably that I can just grab at Walgreens? Please advise me!
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:24 am      Reply with quote
I think you are looking for a a gommage exfoliant. They have been mentioned on this forum before. Perhaps you can do a search on the forum for some brands that members have used and liked in the past? Or just do a Google search for brand names. More information here:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-gommage.htm

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:54 am      Reply with quote
I use one made by Alloette that also contains enzymes, it's only meant to be used once a week. My skin is normal BTW. Smile

http://www.aloette.com/Skin_Care/Exfoliators/Restorative_Enzyme_Peel

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/yonka-gommage-303-normal-p_581.htm

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
Also, have you been to a dermatologist? You may have a skin condition that is causing it.

I have tried the Yonka gommage I linked to above as well as another brandy. One of them worked better than the other one because it was more of a paste and it required a more vigorous rub to remove. The gommage while drying was a 'chemical' exfoliant, breaking down the dead skin cells then ended up being a physical exfoliant when you rubbed it off. The other one was a gel and after it dried and didn't provide the manual exfoliation aspect. Unfortunately, I can't remember if the Yonka was the good or the bad one. I will keep trying to find out/remember.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
You can take a look at Clarin Peeling cream, I found it a bit sticky to rub.
bigredpaws

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
Even though your skin is oily are you sure it is not dry underneath? Your skin sounds very similar to mine - I tend towards a lot of inflammation and redness Sad

I have used Ella Bache Revitilisant and it was lovely on my skin. You paint it on with a brush and then a few minutes later you roll it off the skin. Their Creme Tomate cream is also good for redness

Jurlique's face wash cream is also very gentle and can be used very day. Dr Hauscka has a similar product that can be used daily in the shower.

I hope you find something that works for you.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
Mario Badescu has a kind of mask that is a gel you put on your face and then peel off-I heard it was good,but have not tried it yet.
I use alot of the Badescu line though.

Exuviance also has a similar mask and it does work,but i can not use it often as I have sensitive skin.

I think there is a cheaper drugstore kind of peel off mask but not too sure which one that is as I have so many masks to try here I am not looking for anything for a while.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:12 am      Reply with quote
Have you been to a dermatologist? Its probably worth a visit instead of trying to fix this issue yourself as you could be irritating the situation further.

You mentioned your skin is oily, are you using any products for oily skin? This could be contributing to the issue.
aliasjanedoe
5% products discount

Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:39 am      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
Have you been to a dermatologist? Its probably worth a visit instead of trying to fix this issue yourself.

I went a few years ago, about my acne as well as the flakiness. He had me use some really expensive cream and face wash that only added more redness and itchiness. I gave up after several months and several visits and several more products that only made things worse. I then tried a second derm about a year later with similar results.

I've been seriously considering trying yet another one, but I really don't have the money, especially not if they're just going to shove some over-priced creams at me without actually knowing or caring about the cause of my problems. Maybe I'm just jaded by bad past experiences, but doctors in general never seem to really care about curing anything, or even listening, only writing a prescription as quickly as possible and sending you away with instructions to come back later so they can take more of your money.

Oh, and no, I'm not using anything for my oily skin other than powder over my makeup. I use a mild facewash for sensitive skin and cetaphil (spelling?) lotion at night. No toners, acne medication, or anything like that. I have tried a lot of exfoliating and moisturizing products, but only one thing at a time, and only the recommended amount/frequency of usage.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:53 am      Reply with quote
its_kristy wrote:
Also, have you been to a dermatologist? You may have a skin condition that is causing it.

I have tried the Yonka gommage I linked to above as well as another brandy. One of them worked better than the other one because it was more of a paste and it required a more vigorous rub to remove. The gommage while drying was a 'chemical' exfoliant, breaking down the dead skin cells then ended up being a physical exfoliant when you rubbed it off. The other one was a gel and after it dried and didn't provide the manual exfoliation aspect. Unfortunately, I can't remember if the Yonka was the good or the bad one. I will keep trying to find out/remember.

I used the Yonka one several years ago. I remember it being more gel-like. You put it on, wait a while and then rub it off. Came off pretty easily. I didn't repurchase it as scrubs work better for me.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:03 am      Reply with quote
aliasjanedoe wrote:

I went a few years ago, about my acne as well as the flakiness. ..............

I understand it can be frustrating. I went thru several derms before I found a good one.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
The Alloette is a gel also and you apply and wait a bit rub so it works in 2 ways the enzymes dissolve dead cells and the rubbing off rolls the dead cells and gunk off of your skin. It's one of a few products they make I keep repurchasing. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
I think Zia Cosmetics had a papaya enzyme "peel" (which actually just rinsed off) and some kind of other vitamin c treatment which I found really effective. Don't know if they're still around - they were out of San Francisco.

That said, I make diy Vitamin C (just C + distilled water) and it rubs/rolls off nicely. I also find that my microfibre cloth does an unbelievable job. All you have to do is try handwashing a microfibre cloth, and then rinse and rinse... and rinse... ... til you can't see any scum floating on the top of the water to realize just how effective those things are! Its gross, but eye-opening!
Just be extremely gentle when you use those.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
This Celazome mask may help http://www.skinstore.com/p-1239-celazome-enzyme-exfoliating-masque.aspx
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:48 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
The Alloette is a gel also and you apply and wait a bit rub so it works in 2 ways the enzymes dissolve dead cells and the rubbing off rolls the dead cells and gunk off of your skin. It's one of a few products they make I keep repurchasing. Smile

DarkMoon, your skin is not sensitive, right?
Since the Alloette mask does not contain glycolic acid, then it might be ok for sensitive/rosacea type of skin.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:53 am      Reply with quote
You are right RS my skin really doesn't react to anything. Their products are all aloe based hence the name. Smile I think it's a very mild yet effective treatment. Here is some info from their official site.

http://www.aloette.com/Skin_Care/Exfoliators/Restorative_Enzyme_Peel

Description
Your alternative to harsh chemical peels, Aloette’s Restorative Enzyme Peel works right before your eyes to remove dead skin cells and reveal a healthy, hydrated glow—all in just one minute! A combination of natural fruit extracts—including grapefruit, cucumber, papaya and pineapple—and containing 54% all-organic aloe vera gel, our non-invasive 60-Second Miracle Peel gently smoothes and exfoliates without the use of abrasive acids or chemicals and with zero downtime. 2 oz/60 g

Application Tips
Apply a thin layer of Restorative Enzyme Peel to clean, dry skin. Rub gently in a circular motion until small beads form. Once beading has stopped, rinse face with warm water. Use exfoliating peel once a week to remove dead skin cells for a refreshed, radiant complexion.
Ingredients
Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Butylene Glycol, Water (Aqua), Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Carica Papaya Fruit Extract, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Extract, Ananas Sativus (Pineapple) Fruit Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Papain, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Retinyl Palmitate, Grapefruit Oil, Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans, Hyaluronic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Blue 1, Yellow 5

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:06 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, DM! I'm thinking about eliminating all the products containing most of AHAs from my routine. This products sounds pretty gentle.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:16 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
Thanks, DM! I'm thinking about eliminating all the products containing most of AHAs from my routine. This products sounds pretty gentle.

I agree RS it's also not on your skin for a long period of time and is rinsed after the rolling off so in my opinion there is less chance of irritation, being more than 1/2 aloe is another plus! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

I have used one by Guinot, which is their Gommage Grain d'eclat. I found it worked well and was very gentle. It left my skin feeling very soft and well exfolliated. I hope you find something that works for you.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
sue09 wrote:
Hi,

I have used one by Guinot, which is their Gommage Grain d'eclat. I found it worked well and was very gentle. It left my skin feeling very soft and well exfolliated. I hope you find something that works for you.

I tried the Gommage Biologique with Green Tea by Guinot and Reviving with a Biological Scrub by Valmont Nature and even though they are both more or less gentle, they can still cause irritaion since they are loaded with chemicals ( especially the one by Valmont Nature (ironically) Rolling Eyes )
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
What about a Clarisonic? Have you tried one of those?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
I do a DIY mask by mixing aztec healing clay, apple cider vinegar and honey. Adding the honey to the clay mask prevents it from drying out fully. I then rub it off after 15-20 minutes--it balls up pretty easily if there's a generous layer applied. Between the acids in the vinegar, the fine particles in the clay and the rubbing motion, the whole process gives a really good exfoliation.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:02 am      Reply with quote
dagnolia wrote:
I do a DIY mask by mixing aztec healing clay, apple cider vinegar and honey. Adding the honey to the clay mask prevents it from drying out fully. I then rub it off after 15-20 minutes--it balls up pretty easily if there's a generous layer applied. Between the acids in the vinegar, the fine particles in the clay and the rubbing motion, the whole process gives a really good exfoliation.

This sounds like a wonderful mask but only for those who do not have broken caps/rosacea/sensitive skin!
dagnolia
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
dagnolia wrote:

This sounds like a wonderful mask but only for those who do not have broken caps/rosacea/sensitive skin!

I have flaking issues similar to those described by the OP (though not as severe), and I would say my skin is on the more sensitive side of normal. This mask & removal process does leave me a little red, but it goes away pretty quickly (about 15 min). Honey is actually very hydrating, and the process of mixing the vinegar with the clay neutralizes quite a bit of the acid (it froths up, kind of like mixing baking soda & vinegar). So it's not as harsh as it sounds, really.

I also do a mask with greek yogurt, honey, and brewer's yeast that is a milder exfoliation (from lactic acid in the yogurt), but it's more of a wipe-off thing.

I've also found that the "philosophy" brand retinol pads are really good at chasing the flakes away, but they're rather pricy, and I think they're only available at sephora.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:41 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |