Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Slipped in the snow - bruised cheek, help?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
So we got our first snowfall and as I left an out of the way jazz venue last night, BOOM! First time I've slipped since I was a kid. Someone had thrown some tiles out in the alley and the snow had hidden them.

Anyway, I came down hard on my cheek, 1.5" from under the corner of my eye. Luckily since it was so cold I was able to "ice" it with my wet mitten all the way home. I cleaned it up (there was a little dirt) and lightly rubbed aloe on it several times & this morning, and basically kept moving my cheek (& thumb!), keeping the bloodflow going. So there's no swelling this morning & not too sore but I have a dime-sized collection of very dark spots. So dark, I'm hoping it isn't dirt imbedded in.
Keep in mind that I have brown pigmented skin, so I'm afraid of scarring, which, with zits, always took a long time to fade.

It looks like a collection of little welts where the blood pooled close to the surface (the skin isn't broken, i.e. no blood spilled.) And its really dark, meaning it'll be tough to cover with even scads of makeup. Any suggestions? If I keep rubbing in aloe, will the blood disperse? The thing is, I just got my Retin A and used it once early in the week and wanted to wait til my skin recovered before having at it again!

I'd be grateful for any words of advice you can offer...

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
So sorry that happened LoriA! One suggestion if you can get some Arnica tabs to take and also an Arnica ointment for application. It's great for helping with healing bruises.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
Oh wow, that was quick! Thank you DM - is that something I can get at the drugstore?

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
Oh wow, that was quick! Thank you DM - is that something I can get at the drugstore?

I always find it in the health food stores. I know even Surgeons recommend it prior to surgery to help minimize bruising. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
I just called the pharmacy down the street and they have the gel. Thanks again - now to clean myself up and get out there. I feel like I could scare small children!

Do you mind me asking - do think its best for me to keep gently poking at it, or leave well enough alone? Its not very sore, and its just a little warm so I don't feel like I'm damaging the surface skin by touching it. Plus my cool fingers feel good. I just want to try breaking up the pooled blood. Does that make sense?

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
Lori,

That's a tough one as a mom of 4 my instincts are to say let nature do it's job and heal, our bodies are pretty good at doing that. I would maybe use a cold pack on it and the Arnica Gel which you can very gently massage in. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:03 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Arnica, but the gel is very drying if you put it on too often. Maybe the pills and/or cream is better. Just my two cents.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:34 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
LoriA wrote:

I always find it in the health food stores. I know even Surgeons recommend it prior to surgery to help minimize bruising. Smile

But also if you do take arnica or aspirin-they both work the same/similar, you can have a bleeding problem-so I was told it is better to take arnica after your surgery or maybe a few days before.

All I can say is I tried taking arnica for 1 day and had too many problems with it.
I took 2 doses of arnica that was homeopathic and has major issues when I had to have blood taken the next day for something.
I was really holding my arm for over 2 hours at the hospital for that!
So-no arnica for me..ever.

Maybe for other people it is ok.

Weleda makes a Arnica gel-it is pretty good,but has alcohol in it.
Boiron also has one and i have that one here-it does not seem as good.

A vogel arnical gel is the best-it has 50% fresh arnica extract,but is hard to find.
-it is the only product that helped get rid of severe brusing on my legs from a bad allergic reaction!

guess i should say I can't ingest arnica,but can use it as a cream or lotion on my skin.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:44 am      Reply with quote
Blaze wrote:
I agree with Arnica, but the gel is very drying if you put it on too often. Maybe the pills and/or cream is better. Just my two cents.

Hi Blaze! Smile

I agree I always keep the cream in the house as it's much more moisturizing along with the pills. I think Lori was just in a hurry and since her pharmacy had the gel in stock she grabbed that! Smile

OS,

Most people have no issue with Arnica unless they have major bleeding issues, a friend had surgery for Spinal Stenosis (major) and her surgeon had her take it for 2 weeks prior to the day of surgery. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hey, DM! Two weeks, huh. Maybe that's what I should do next time I get Juvederm. I bruised pretty badly last time, but I'm a bruiser anyway. I only did the arnica gel, but I do want to try the pills next time. My doc didn't have any problems with me taking it. I just didn't know when to start the pills.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
Blaze wrote:
Hey, DM! Two weeks, huh. Maybe that's what I should do next time I get Juvederm. I bruised pretty badly last time, but I'm a bruiser anyway. I only did the arnica gel, but I do want to try the pills next time. My doc didn't have any problems with me taking it. I just didn't know when to start the pills.

Hi there Blaze!

She had her whole spine taken apart and put back together again, this surgeon is top of his game where she lives, many still put in metal rods to repair the spine while he uses your own bones! 2 weeks was his protocol for before and she healed amazingly well with very little scarring or bruising considering how very invasive this surgery is!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Blaze wrote:

Hi there Blaze!

She had her whole spine taken apart and put back together again, this surgeon is top of his game where she lives, many still put in metal rods to repair the spine while he uses your own bones! 2 weeks was his protocol for before and she healed amazingly well with very little scarring or bruising considering how very invasive this surgery is!

Wow, that's awesome! I can't imagine. Okay, what's the dosage? I'm sold. Very Happy
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
It's been a few years but when I call her next (soon) I will ask. I know I cringed when she first described the surgery and I am not squeamish at all! I will post the dosage as soon as possible. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
It's been a few years but when I call her next (soon) I will ask. I know I cringed when she first described the surgery and I am not squeamish at all! I will post the dosage as soon as possible. Smile

Favor please. Would you mind PM'ng it to me as I don't get to log onto here often enough. I'm not planning on getting the Juve again until December. Thanks, Sweetie!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
Blaze wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

Favor please. Would you mind PM'ng it to me as I don't get to log onto here often enough. I'm not planning on getting the Juve again until December. Thanks, Sweetie!

Absolutely, no problem pming it to you asap! Plus for all interested I will also post it!
Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
Auriderm XO is the best thing I've ever used for bruises:

http://www.faceandbody.co.uk/catalog/AesthetiCare/Auriderm-XO-30ml

Fades them soooo fast that is almost a miracle to me.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Blaze wrote:

Hi Blaze! Smile

I agree I always keep the cream in the house as it's much more moisturizing along with the pills. I think Lori was just in a hurry and since her pharmacy had the gel in stock she grabbed that! Smile

OS,

Most people have no issue with Arnica unless they have major bleeding issues, a friend had surgery for Spinal Stenosis (major) and her surgeon had her take it for 2 weeks prior to the day of surgery. Smile

-"forgot" to add I do have a problem with bleeding and brusing too easily.
Have had tons of tests done at the hematologist..and half the time they have lost my results or have not found anything.

Even a paper cut or small cut on my finger while cooking..had to hold my finger for 2 hours and use special bloodstop bandaids.

I have spent a small fortune on those bloodstop products,and now that my local drugstore stopped carrying them under store brand I have to order those items from the US and pay almost $8-10 for 20 "bandaids".

I could get similar things here at a medical supply store but the "surgiseal" brand is $100 for a 4x4 sheet-thanks to the big pharma company that likes to rip off people for "cellulose fiber" pads!

Too bad the drugstore no longer sells this stuff as i used to get tons of Shoppers optimum points and almost every special points day I'd spend and get those items...and over the years had hundred of dollars worth of points (could be used on anything in store..like cosmetics Wink
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
Well you have to know your own body! I am just the opposite I clot very fast and all 4 of my kids are the same! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
I too bruise easily and I have to have arnica montana tablets on hand. go with the 30x one at Vitacost. it's only like $4-$5, and it works great. It also has like 200 tablets a jar. Great deal.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Dark Moon, I was thinking how grateful I've been for your advice. Good to read the other comments just now too!
I ran out right away and got the Arnica (Boiron) gel & stopped poking. Good thing because Google agreed later saying its best to just ice for the first 48 hrs to restrict bloodflow.. and not to take advil or asprin (which the pharmacist had recommended for the bit of swelling in my hand!), for the same reason. I'm glad I found that out just in time too, since the (very) mild concussion headache started that evening... so I went for Tylenol.
I must clot well too, never ever having to worry about healing before. Your stories were somewhat shocking.

I kept the bruise moist, alternating between Arnica, aloe, zinc (once) & vit e, and made sure I ate all my dark green veggies & took extra vitamins.. lots of water & Vit C! I also read topical vitamin C would be helpful but the area's still too raw to try anything as strong as that yet. I'll switch to warmth now to encourage circulation... perfect, since its below freezing now and wasn't ice the damn culprit in the first place!!?

Btw, I read that Arnica wouldn't be effective unless of a certain percentage, and it seems that the Boiron is half that percentage - not anything close to 50%! But it looks like I'm going to get away with minimal scarring since the darker bits seemed to be mostly surface scabs today which are already dropping away. I'm so relieved. I've never worried about bruises in the past but this being the first one I've experienced on my face, I suddenly realized how little I knew about treating them.

Anyway, like I said I'm grateful I was able to take a shortcut and get some sound advice I could trust so quickly here! So thanks yet again. Smile

System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |