Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
How much sunscreen do you apply?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:23 am      Reply with quote
The FDA's amount is 2g/cm^2, which translates to between 1/4 and 1/3 teaspoon of sunscreen for the face and neck. There are some sources that you need 1/2 a teaspoon for the face and neck, and that's the largest amount that I've seen anywhere.

I have *finally* been able to actually measure how much sunscreen I apply- I got little 1 cc (same as 1 ml) scoops from lotioncrafter. There are about 5 ml in a teaspoon, and I used 2 scoops today, so that comes out to more than 1/3 of a teaspoon.

(I started out with well sunscreened hands, to make sure that it's not my hands absorbing it) It's definitely reassuring to know that I am using the recommended amount. I think everyone should measure how much sunscreen they're applying, at least once.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
I use a dollop the size of a quarter. But I really like your suggestion and I do believe I will be measuring mine tomorrow morning!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
rmc7 wrote:
I use a dollop the size of a quarter. But I really like your suggestion and I do believe I will be measuring mine tomorrow morning!!

I think it's super important to measure accurately with precise tools because I'm not sure what even "dollop the size of a quarter" is. Does that mean it's the volume of a quarter (meaning a very flat disk), or is it a healthy pyramid shaped dollop with the base the size of a quarter?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
Exactly , a flat quarter. So I got out my measuring spoons and I will certainly be measuring my next application.Funny how I used such a "hit or miss" approach to something so important. Skin cancer on both sides of my family, melanoma took my Dad. I should know better than to take this for granted.

5% products discount

Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
I don't measure it.
But since there's a recommended amount of sunscreen to be applied on the skin, then I'll be measuring it starting tomorrow.
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:26 am      Reply with quote
It's approximately 1/4 to 1/3 of a teaspoon for the face and the same again for the neck. I believe that was calculated on a person of around 5.5" tall and in proportion. So, if you're taller/larger you will need more.

I'm 6'4" tall and in proportion. I apply just under 1/2 teaspoon for my face and a little less on my neck.
rmc7
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:17 am      Reply with quote
I measured my sunblock this morning Ti-Silc 45 sheer, I use 1/3 t. I covered face, neck, ears, and part of the lower neck upper chest area. I liked that amt. I also like this sunblock!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:31 am      Reply with quote
rmc7 wrote:
I measured my sunblock this morning Ti-Silc 45 sheer, I use 1/3 t. I covered face, neck, ears, and part of the lower neck upper chest area. I liked that amt. I also like this sunblock!

Huh, that's interesting! I had just looked up the volume of a quarter (.809 cc, same as .809 ml) so if you were using the volume of a quarter on your face and neck then that amount it definitely not enough- it's a little less than 1/6 of a teaspoon.

I definitely don't believe in measuring everyday, I just believe in doing it once or twice and just on the face and neck just so that we get what that density of sunscreen *feels* like. So maybe you should do your chest/ears/hands, etc separately in order to get an accurate assessment?

But it definitely seems like you're using enough. Maybe you just overestimated the volume of a quater?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:33 am      Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
It's approximately 1/4 to 1/3 of a teaspoon for the face and the same again for the neck. I believe that was calculated on a person of around 5.5" tall and in proportion. So, if you're taller/larger you will need more.

I'm 6'4" tall and in proportion. I apply just under 1/2 teaspoon for my face and a little less on my neck.

Haha, I'm lucky since I meet those specs so I don't need to adjust at all.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:35 am      Reply with quote
Always apply the sunscreen about 30 minutes before going out in the sun and allow enough time for the product to start working. Apply the sunscreen generously, spreading to all exposed areas and smooth in gently. To provide maximum effectiveness reapply it every hour, especially during the noon hours. The waterproof and water resistant sunscreens provide protection even after swimming, but to make sure your skin is protected reapply it 15 minutes after exposure to water. During the hot months apply face sunscreen with SPF at least 15 every day to minimize the appearance of dark spots and fine wrinkles.
yofie
5% products discount

Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:52 am      Reply with quote
I use probably about a nickel size, but my sunscreen is a part of my face moisturizer so i don't use too much otherwise it sits on the skin. If I am actively outside on the beach then I reapply more often so I probably use a quarter size. I don't know how that equals out to in teaspoons or tablespoons.
jayraven
5% products discount

Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:23 am      Reply with quote
what do u guys recommend for sunscreen? I'm looking for a cheap drugstore sunscreen to use everyday
I live in France so it doesn't have most of product u guys talk about
Thanks
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:48 am      Reply with quote
jayraven, we have some of the best sunscreens in the world in Europe, and in France you really are spoiled for choice!!! Many in the US and elsewhere actually order their sunscreens from Europe as the protection from European formulas is superior to what's available in other countries.

Take a look at brands like Avene, Bioderma, La Roche-Posay and Vichy. All make excellent sunscreens for the European market and all are available cheaply in pharmacies.
POPO
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
enough 2 cover Laughing
Katy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:04 am      Reply with quote
i also use Avenu. I usually apply a thin layer, xcept I am going outdoor, I will apply more.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |