Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How to Thicken up Home made Vitamin C serum?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
LindaJane
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
I made my own batch of Vit. c serum, with the c, water, and glycerin.
HOW can I make it more of a serum, It is very watery and thin now.
Thanks
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
LindaJane wrote:
Hi,
I made my own batch of Vit. c serum, with the c, water, and glycerin.
HOW can I make it more of a serum, It is very watery and thin now.
Thanks

You can mix a few drops of Vitamin E into the glycerin and then mix that with the water and C mixture, it will be a bit thicker however most of these simple C recipes tend to be thin serums. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
If I add something, wouldn't it bring down the concentration of Vit. C? The strength now is 20%...would I have to substitute the water with Vit. E to keep the strength?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:54 pm      Reply with quote
LindaJane wrote:
If I add something, wouldn't it bring down the concentration of Vit. C? The strength now is 20%...would I have to substitute the water with Vit. E to keep the strength?

We are talking a matter of drops if you replace a few drops of water with the E, yet still have the same amount of LAA in the same total amount you aren't changing the % of the C.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:45 am      Reply with quote
You could also try adding some hyaluronic acid in place of some of the water (Max of 1/4-1/2 teas in a 1oz recipe). This should thicken it up some.

You'll need to get the HA from The Personal Formulator, GoW or Lotioncrafters. I prefer the liquid to the powder. The powder can be a hassle to mix up.

Another thought is to use Aloe Gel in place of some of the water. Be sure to use only pure Aloe gel with no fillers.
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
You could also try adding some hyaluronic acid in place of some of the water (Max of 1/4-1/2 teas in a 1oz recipe). This should thicken it up some.

You'll need to get the HA from The Personal Formulator, GoW or Lotioncrafters. I prefer the liquid to the powder. The powder can be a hassle to mix up.

This is the easiest way to make a nice clear gel, honestly and since HA is also a good hydratant its a great ingredient to add to a C serum. I don't have any trouble mixing up the powder. It does tend to clump and become lumpy once it hits water. But if you just let the water and HA sit, it dissolves of it's own accord and within a couple of hours you will have a perfect gel serum.

HA in 1% concentration will make a serum consistency. Mix up the HA and water first as a standalone. Let it sit until all the HA lumps have self dissolved, shake, then add your C powder. Easy!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply. Is the HA cheaper in Powder form?...I'm trying to keep the cost down as much as possible.
Also I've got Aloe gel, do you think the HA would be a better choice?
and my skin is on the dry side
thanks
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
LindaJane wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Is the HA cheaper in Powder form?...I'm trying to keep the cost down as much as possible.
Also I've got Aloe gel, do you think the HA would be a better choice?
and my skin is on the dry side
thanks

HA does tend to be cheaper in powder and easier to ship too. It's really not hard to mix at all. I add it to all my face creams and I just dump the powder in a bottle with the water, shake once, let sit overnight and have a perfect gel in the morning then use as desired. It might seem expensive but when you consider that you'll only add 1gm to every 100mls of C serum it's very affordable. I buy mine from Bulk Actives and it only costs $11 for 5 gms.

I would recommend it over Aloe Vera for dry skin. Aloe Vera can feel quite drying on the skin and does leave a film on the skin too. HA doesn't do either. It's worth the small investment for the quality of product you will end up with.

All high-end expensive moisturising gels and serums contain HA and it's the 'miracle' ingredient so many people are paying hand over fist for. It's easy to work with and you'll love the way your skin looks and feels when you use it. It will leave your skin looking plump.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
THanks Much! I just looked on the Vitacost website, I buy vitamins, etc from there.
I see the HA in tablet form, capsule form, and soft gel tabs...Is there a preferable way to buy this, or are any ok?
What should I look for at ingredients, 100% HA?, or other ingredients?
Thanks
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
LindaJane wrote:
THanks Much! I just looked on the Vitacost website, I buy vitamins, etc from there.
I see the HA in tablet form, capsule form, and soft gel tabs...Is there a preferable way to buy this, or are any ok?
What should I look for at ingredients, 100% HA?, or other ingredients?
Thanks

Most people get their HA from a formulating site. You need pure HA, some of the capsules contain fillers. Here are a couple of places I've ordered HA from:

Liquid: http://www.personalformulator.com/wvss/product_info.php?products_id=1188

Powder: http://www.lotioncrafter.com/hyaluronic-acid.html

Liquid: http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/hyaluronic.html

As NotMeNotYou mentioned, the powder is cheaper. Even small amounts of the powder make a lot of the liquid HA. It's hard to mix just a small amount without a very precise scale. 1/4teas of powder will make 4 oz of HA liquid. If you'll use that much it's a better deal.
LindaJane
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
Thanks, I will check out those sites...
what do you think of this??
http://www.vitacost.com/NeoCell-Pure-H-A-Natural-Hyaluronic-Acid
Free shipping today on everything, so I'm looking there first...(HR extracted from Rooster combs?)
thanks
LindaJane
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:43 pm      Reply with quote
Someone recommened a site called GoW to buy product...What is that, there is No such site.....
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:37 am      Reply with quote
LindaJane wrote:
Hi,
Thanks, I will check out those sites...
what do you think of this??
http://www.vitacost.com/NeoCell-Pure-H-A-Natural-Hyaluronic-Acid
Free shipping today on everything, so I'm looking there first...(HR extracted from Rooster combs?)
thanks

As ShastaGirl mentioned, you need pure HA. The item you've linked has magnesium stearate which is a filler.
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:39 am      Reply with quote
LindaJane wrote:
Someone recommened a site called GoW to buy product...What is that, there is No such site.....

Here you go Smile
www.gardenofwisdom.com
JessicaWiehle
5% products discount

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:19 am      Reply with quote
I have prepared HA. Next time around I will definitely purchase the powder. The prepared HA is 1% as you describe. Are you saying I can just add vitamin C right to it in the proper percentage and skip disolving it in a separate batch of water? Or, are you saying to do it separately, thus reducing the percentage of HA?

I have recently been experimenting with Kassy's C+E+FA w/jojoba and sea kelp. This time around I used Sea Buckthorn instead of jojoba and for giggles, threw a very small amount of xanthan gum in to see how it thickened. WOW, it worked really well! It is now like a gel and my skin is loving the combo of CEFA and all the antioxidants and GLA in the Sea Buckthorn (very high in vitamin A, too, if I recall which really makes this a CEA+FA serum). It sinks in well - no greasy feel, plumps, tightens, glows, and goes well under my SS and MMU.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:49 am      Reply with quote
JessicaWiehle wrote:
I have prepared HA. Next time around I will definitely purchase the powder. The prepared HA is 1% as you describe. Are you saying I can just add vitamin C right to it in the proper percentage and skip disolving it in a separate batch of water? Or, are you saying to do it separately, thus reducing the percentage of HA?

I've never done it this way. I add 1/4 to 1/2 teas liquid HA (the 1% mixture) in place of the equivalent amount of water in my C serum. I make Kassy's jojoba recipe and add the HA last. And yes, it is way less than 1% HA by the time you add everything else.
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
If you are using L-Ascorbic acid I would dissolve that first in your 100mls of water. Once fully dissolved I would then add 1gm HA powder and let that dissolve. You will have a C serum with 1% HA concentration in the final product. I find liquid HA far less useful because your other active powders may not fully dissolve in a HA liquid (due to saturation) and then you will have to add more water leaving the final concentration less than 1% HA.

BTW TKB Trading sell small scales useful for measuring out partial grams of powders for $12.00.
Wink

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
THanks so if I get powder. I read i divide the total amounts of ingredients by the amount of c to see how strong the serum is.
I want this to be around 17%...If, say, I need 2 teaspoons of base...can I use ANY combination of Water and HA to make the serum, as long as the total amount is ok?
If I have 1 tea. water, .5 tea. C, and 1 tea. HA...(JUST EXAMPLE)...then the total measurements would be 2.5, and I'd divide .5 by 2.5...the % of c for this equation would be 20%, correct??
myfunnyvalentine
5% products discount

Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:26 am      Reply with quote
JessicaWiehle wrote:

I have recently been experimenting with Kassy's C+E+FA w/jojoba and sea kelp. This time around I used Sea Buckthorn instead of jojoba and for giggles, threw a very small amount of xanthan gum in to see how it thickened. WOW, it worked really well! It is now like a gel and my skin is loving the combo of CEFA and all the antioxidants and GLA in the Sea Buckthorn (very high in vitamin A, too, if I recall which really makes this a CEA+FA serum). It sinks in well - no greasy feel, plumps, tightens, glows, and goes well under my SS and MMU.

Wow that sounds great! I'm going to buy some xanthan gum for my next C E ferulic serum. Thanks for the idea

5% products discount

Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:26 am      Reply with quote
JessicaWiehle wrote:

5% products discount

Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:28 am      Reply with quote
Woops looks like my post didn't get included. I just wanted to say @JessicaWiehle thanks for the idea of adding xanthan gum to thicken up the C serum.

I'm going to order some and try this with my next batch of L-AA, E ferulic.

Very Happy

Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:05 am      Reply with quote
JessicaWiehle wrote:

Can you tell us how much xanthan gum you used? I am about to place my order at lotion crafters but was glad I stumbled upon this post first Smile I have never made the serum before but am very enthusiastic. I definitely would like a thicker serum texture. Smile

Also, would I buy the clear or soft xantham gum?

TIA!!! Very Happy
Lizzy731
5% products discount

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:32 am      Reply with quote
I use SKB as well as HA and a tiny amount of glycerin. I use a variation of I believe Kassy's vit c serum. My last serum turned out a little thicker than I would like so next time I'm using 10% SKB instead of the 15% I used. I use 2% glycerin and 1% HA. I use a batch calculator to figure out the gram amounts (I have a gram scale...as a baker and cook I weigh, never ever use measuring spoons or cups! Wink )
Lizzy731
5% products discount

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:36 am      Reply with quote
LindaJane wrote:
THanks so if I get powder. I read i divide the total amounts of ingredients by the amount of c to see how strong the serum is.
I want this to be around 17%...If, say, I need 2 teaspoons of base...can I use ANY combination of Water and HA to make the serum, as long as the total amount is ok?
If I have 1 tea. water, .5 tea. C, and 1 tea. HA...(JUST EXAMPLE)...then the total measurements would be 2.5, and I'd divide .5 by 2.5...the % of c for this equation would be 20%, correct??

Not sure if you are using this but it so much easier than dividing

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Calculators/Batch_Size_Calculator.aspx
angeladayspa
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmm, if the serum is thin, that is serum... Is it?
Curious..but good to read this post
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:23 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |