Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How to Thicken up Home made Vitamin C serum?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:25 am      Reply with quote
Xanthan gum is ... well... gummy. I use sclerotium gum, chitosan or cellulose to thicken a serum. Sclerotium and chitosan give a nice "slip". A 10% of a 1% solution mixed with the final emulsion is nice.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 01, 2013 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl, I want to make the Kassy's C+E+FA w/jojoba and use hyaluronic acid in place of water exactly as you do, except I purchased the powder version instead of the gel version.

Could you tell me exactly how to make the Kassy's C+E+FA w/jojoba and sea kelp, and how to make the hyaluronic powder into a gel? Talk to me like I'm three, please. Bad Grin
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 03, 2013 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
ellaelise wrote:
ShastaGirl, I want to make the Kassy's C+E+FA w/jojoba and use hyaluronic acid in place of water exactly as you do, except I purchased the powder version instead of the gel version.

Try this recipe for mixing the powder HA into a liquid/gel. You must use very cold water and shake it occasionally. I've made the recipe with 4 oz of water and a 1/4 teas of HA powder.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=524714&highlight=ha+ice+water#524714
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 03, 2013 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
ellaelise wrote:
ShastaGirl,
Could you tell me exactly how to make the Kassy's C+E+FA w/jojoba and sea kelp, and how to make the hyaluronic powder into a gel? Talk to me like I'm three, please. Bad Grin

I know you can handle this...

After your HA is dissolved in the liquid (usually takes about 24 hours) you can follow these steps (courtesy of Kassy):

15% vitamin C + E + ferulic acid serum with Jojoba

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid (should be fine powder, not from a food version of vit c, as it has fillers)
1 tsp Sea Kelp Bioferment
1 tsp Jojoba Oil
3 tsp Distilled water
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/4 tsp Vitamin E Oil (from capsules or bottle)
1/4 tsp Vodka
1/2 tsp Hyaluronic Acid liquid

1) First dissolve the ferulic acid in the vodka in one shotglass.
2) Combine the SKB, vit E and jojoba oil in a second shotglass. If it doesn't dissolve, microwave it on high for about 6 seconds and stir vigorously.
3) Quickly mix the L-ascorbic acid into the water in a third shotglass and combine with the other 2 shotglasses. Add HA.

Store in a dark closed dropper bottle in a cool but not necessarily cold place.
Shake before using each time.

***Be sure that each phase is completely dissolved before combining all the phases together.*** Your serum should be a milky thin fluid, and it is normal to have an oily layer on top. Shake well before using each time to disperse the oil and water phases.
ellaelise
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 07, 2013 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you ShastaGirl. I know I'm a bit of a pest, but this is my first time DIYing. I've mixed my HA/water and will make the rest tomorrow after 24 hours have passed, and will let you know how it goes!
ellaelise
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 31, 2013 12:12 am      Reply with quote
NM, figured it out all on my own!
caramelqt3683

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Xanthan gum is ... well... gummy. I use sclerotium gum, chitosan or cellulose to thicken a serum. Sclerotium and chitosan give a nice "slip". A 10% of a 1% solution mixed with the final emulsion is nice.

Hello,
Where do you find this? I haven't seen it on the sites I've been ordering from... (GOW, Lotioncrafter, Bulkactives, Skinactives, etc.)
Also, is this a thickener that will give the serum a powder-y feel or do you know what to use to do so?
Thanks

ETA
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:44 am      Reply with quote
You can add grains of sclerotium gum to make a slippery serum instead of a watery one. Just a few at a time and shake/let sit. It takes a while for it to rehydrate and thicken up. Sclerotium gum also acts upon keratinocyte differentiation and protects skin barrier. It doesnt affect pH either:

http://stores.skinessentialactives.com/-strse-105/Sclerotium-Gum%2C-15-grams/Detail.bok

A "powdery" feel? Ill have to work on that one. Some polymers and silicones will do that but I assume you want a more natural formula?

2% Zinc sulfate is a nice addition to a C serum formula if you have oily/blemished skin too. It takes away the oily feel.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
I'm sorry to bring back this ancient thread! I just remember that I used pH strips to measure the PH of my at-home Vitaminc C serum. The problems are, for the life of me, I can't remember 1) where I purchased the strips from and 2. Wha the ideal pH was for my serum. Help??
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
Most thickeners are ph sensitive and turn watery upon contact with acids.

This might work

https://www.bulkactives.com/product/product/gelmaker-ultra-emulsifier.html/gel?search=gel

Specifications state it is ph stable from 2-11.

Try and see.

But I really wouldn't bother. The Vit C serum will work better as it is. Just put a few drops directly on to the face and smooth over. Let it absorb.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:53 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |