Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Witch Hazel for toner?

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
StrawberryShortcake
5% products discount

Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
I read that witch hazel is good to use as a toner after washing your face. Is this true? If so, is it a different type than what you see in the pharmacy aisle at the grocery store? Also, does a 24 year old woman need to use toner?
chloes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:09 am      Reply with quote
Those at the pharmacies will do. I prefer to get a witch hazel and rosewater combination as 100% witch hazel might be too drying. Toner temporarily tightens the skin and acts as a double cleanser after face wash.
bordnfl2
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
I recently purchased Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel Alcohol-Free Toner. I bought it at Vitacost. I generally don't use a toner but had read good reviews of this product. I'll use it a bit and report back. So far no issues. I'm trying to keep my routine fairly simple and don't like to combine too many products.
bunnyman
5% products discount

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:15 pm      Reply with quote
Several years ago a dermatologist recommended using witch hazel because it is very pure and excellent for sensitive acne prone skin. I have been using it for years and really like how clean and fresh it makes my skin feel. Lately I have been experimenting with different additives like adding a few drops of tea tree, a few aspirin, or a few drops of lavender oil to the witch hazel. I have a very inexpensive custom witch hazel formula that is beneficial and also smells nice.
ALEN003

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
You can use most of the witch hazel at grocery stores. Most facial toners contain witch hazel. Using it pure would be good for those with sensitive skin as other toners might have something added that could irritate.
bordnfl2
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
The Witch Hazel that I saw at the grocery store also contained alcohol so be careful which one you choose. I bought mine online because it had the ingredients I was looking for and the one at my local drug store and grocery store did not.
misspisces
5% products discount

Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
anyone else tried the rose petals thayers? my facial lady has recommended it and I'm very interested in trying it. A bottle is pretty cheap: $10.00 She's suggested I alternative between thayers and my regular toner.
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:54 pm      Reply with quote
I've used witch hazel off and on (more on) for more than 25 years and love it. My skin looks amazing when I use it. It's also a powerful antioxidant! I just purchase any old drug store distilled witch hazel. Most contain 14% alcohol (which is a by product of their production) but that has never bothered my skin. Alcohol-free ones are available too.

I've also used it as the base for vitamin C serums and a niacinamide toner that I made and used for over a year.
spauno

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:16 am      Reply with quote
Witch Hazel is an astringent produced from leaves and the of witch hazel is mainly used for Scores, Bruises and swelling.
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:54 am      Reply with quote
misspisces- I've used Thayers Rose Witch Hazel for years now. It is a lovely toner. I like it because its 100% alcohol free. I get mine from Whole Foods.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:12 am      Reply with quote
PLEASE make sure you check the ingredient list before you buy it. Some of them contain alcohol because of the distillation process used to extract the witch hazel. This will be very damaging to your skin, so make sure you get PURE witch hazel.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
Witch hazel is way too drying for me. Unless you have super oily skin, I would mix it with something, or skip it. I used to put it in my face wash, and even at that low concentration it would dry me out. To each his own though!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:12 am      Reply with quote
I love Thayers Alcohol-Free Cucumber Witch Hazel with Organic Aloe Vera Formula Toner i found on www.drugstore.com

Here is the link:
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=227053&aid=328222

It tones, it heals and it's very cheap. They also have Lavender an Rose Petal versions, but i never tried it.
Aryanna
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
I too love Thayers Witch Hazel with Rose Petal Very Happy.
I bought mine from amazon and the best part is, its Alcohol free!!

I wanted to try the Lavender one too as it helps reduces redness but gotto wait for this one to finish.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Donell Brightening Cream (1 oz) Thalgo Source Marine 24H Hydration Skincare Set in Gold (4 items) Ole Henriksen 3 Little Wonders Bonus Collection (4 items)