Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
Russell Organics Argan Oil
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
displaced
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
I ran out of Josie Maran's Argan Oil and was looking for argan oil that's less expensive, so I ended up purchasing Russell Organics Argan Oil. Initially I was concerned that it wouldn't be as good as JM's, and boy did that turn out to be the case.

I received the RO Argan Oil today. The bottle top was sealed, and there was no indication that it had been tampered with. I opened it and smelled it because I was curious, and the scent made me dry heave. It has this putrid fermented odor. I did try a few drops, and it doesn't make my skin smell that way, but still the smell of it in the bottle alone is enough to turn me off from wanting to use it altogether. Also, it doesn't soak in quickly like JM's Argan oil, and does not have the same fine pressed consistency.

I looked into the smell Argan oil and found this "A cosmetic argan oil of good quality does not have a strong smell. A strong smell is a sign of oxidation that can come from a bad method of manufacturing or preservation" and also "pure argan oil should never have a very strong smell, if you find it offensive chances are the oil has gone bad." I'm disappointed that EDS would sell such a product.

What a waste. I can't bring myself to throw it out because that's like throwing out $30 but I know I'm never going to use it. It's back to Josie Maran's Argan Oil for me.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
That sounds similar to the smell of the Russell Organics Seabuckthorn oil I just in. It smells rancid as well. Now I wonder, hmmmm?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
That sounds similar to the smell of the Russell Organics Seabuckthorn oil I just in. It smells rancid as well. Now I wonder, hmmmm?

Oh No No No Neither Seabuckthorn or Argan Oil should smell gag inducing! I would contact them and get a replacement!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
I got it from EDS. I have never smelled this oil before, so I didn't know how it should smell. All I know is that it is weird and stinky! Does anyone else have any to compare, any brand?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
I got it from EDS. I have never smelled this oil before, so I didn't know how it should smell. All I know is that it is weird and stinky! Does anyone else have any to compare, any brand?

What I have has a distinct odor but not stinky!

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/oilprofile/sea_buckthorn.php

Sea Buckthorn Oil Profile
Botanical Name- Hippophae rhamnoides
Origin- China or Russia
Extraction- Cold Pressed
Part Extracted- Seed and Berry
Shelf life- 6 months
Kosher Certified- No
Notes- The Sea Buckthorn Oil offered by Mountain Rose Herbs was processed by the cold press method of the entire berry including seed and fruit.
This particular oil will solidify if exposed to low temperatures, and it is best left at room temperature.
The oil of Sea Buckthorn in its undiluted and concentrated form will stain skin, surfaces and clothing. Use caution, spread evenly and dilute.
No additives, preservatives, or other foreign agents have been used or included in the manufacturing of this oil. Suitable for food and cosmetic use.

Specifications
Color- Deep amber/red
Odor- Fatty/Characteristic
Acid Value- 3.6%
Heavy Metals- None Detected
Iodine Value- 86
Pesticides- None Detected
Peroxide Value- <1.4
Saponification Value- 191.7
Specific Gravity- 0.915
pH- 3.43

Fatty Acids and Constituents
Beta Carotene- 254 I.U./100 g
Vitamin E- 123 mg/100g
Lycopene- <1%
Linoleic- 8.4%
Oleic- 28.1%
Palmitic- 30%
Palmitoleic- 27.7%
Stearic- 1.3%

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
I should add a distinct odor but not really strong and not unpleasant at all!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:06 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your responses everyone. I'm surprised that this happened to someone else too! I'm glad it was mentioned though. I think I'm going to contact EDS like DarkMoon says. I'm really hoping I'll be able to get a return on it. I know their policy is that they won't accept used items but hopefully they can make an exception in this case, as the product seems to be spoiled. I don't really want a replacement either because this rancid smell issue sounds like it might be a pattern with Russell Organics.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:39 am      Reply with quote
That's what I am thinking. Maybe if there is anyone else using Russell Organics we could see if it is an ongoing theme.
Yes DM, the odor is strong, sort of more like tamanu oil. So maybe that is just the way it smells. I expected the color to be darker too and staining, but it is not.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:46 am      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
That's what I am thinking. Maybe if there is anyone else using Russell Organics we could see if it is an ongoing theme.
Yes DM, the odor is strong, sort of more like tamanu oil. So maybe that is just the way it smells. I expected the color to be darker too and staining, but it is not.

I know Annie it's really difficult to describe a smell unless there is a common reference!

I am not saying this to be a stinker but this is why I buy any oil that they carry from Mountain Rose Herbs, I have been purchasing from them for over 10 years and never had any problems with a single product and they actually will take time to speak with you in detail if you need help making a choice or for any help!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:20 am      Reply with quote
Sea Buckthorn oil should have a deep color, stain your clothes, and not to have a strong or unpleasant smell. It does smell, but it is not a very strong aroma, nor is it a very unpleasant one. I have used many different ones (including medical grade made in the former USSR) and had never encountered what you are describing.

HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:33 am      Reply with quote
sigma wrote:
Sea Buckthorn oil should have a deep color, stain your clothes, and not to have a strong or unpleasant smell. It does smell, but it is not a very strong aroma, nor is it a very unpleasant one. I have used many different ones (including medical grade made in the former USSR) and had never encountered what you are describing.

HTH

I agree 100% with this, it seems odd that on the Russel Organics site it states it is 100% pure organic yet the depth of color is lacking? I have had Aubrey Organics in the past and it was very similar to what I buy from MRH. I also find MRH's prices much more reasonable!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
It's sad but true : good quality argan oil is not cheap. I use the one from MIR Skincare - with a very faint smell (scent?).
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
sigma wrote:

HTH

I agree 100% with this, it seems odd that on the Russel Organics site it states it is 100% pure organic yet the depth of color is lacking? I have had Aubrey Organics in the past and it was very similar to what I buy from MRH. I also find MRH's prices much more reasonable!

I could be wrong about this, but I believe there are 2 different Sea Buckthorn oils. One is extracted from both the seeds and the crushed berries; this gives a red/orange coloured oil. The other oil is extracted from just the seeds (fruit/pulp removed) and results in a golden yellow oil. The constituent profiles would be different for each oil. So there is Sea Buckthorn Seed oil, and Sea Buckthorn (fruit) oil. I read the information here:

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/seabuckthorn.htm

http://seabuckthorn.com/theoils.htm

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
True Lacy, Unfortunately Russell Organics doesn't say which it is?

Description
Russell Organics Sea Buckthorn Oil is a highly prized treatment oil that is rich in Vitamins A & E, rich in Essential Fatty Acids, and high levels of many nutrients.

The Russell Organics Sea Buckthorn Oil is a wildcrafted oil, free of pesticides and toxins. Unlike other competing products, The Russell Organics Sea Buckthorn Oil is 100% Pure Sea Buckthorn Oil. Nothing else is added, or needed.

This oil has been used for centuries for cosmetic purposes. Cosmetically, Sea Buckthorn Oil has been used for numerous purposes.  Natural antioxidants and essential fatty acids help reverse damaging effects of sun radiation and minimize long term effects of sun exposure, like wrinkles, dryness, dark spot reduction, and the soothing of skin inflammation. The oil is well tolerated by any type of skin and provides long term anti-inflammatory, restorative and revitalizing actions.

Use of Sea Buckthorn Oil may temporarily stain the skin, which is why it is best used at night as a night-time restorative serum. Care should be taken, by allowing the oil to absorb, to avoid the staining of bed linens.

Usage: Use one to two drops as needed at night on to well cleansed skin. Allow a few minutes for the oil to fully absorb into the skin. In the morning, cleanse skin as normal. May be used as needed.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
The website has "Live Help" option, but it is currently offline. They also list a phone number (203-285-6633) if you want to ask a question. There is also the option to leave a review of any product; maybe AnnieR could take advantage of that.

http://www.russellorganics.com/

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
That is true. However, I had used both over the years, and despite the variations in color the color itself is rather well pronounced; they all stain the clothes, and neither had bad aroma.

HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
sigma wrote:
That is true. However, I had used both over the years, and despite the variations in color the color itself is rather well pronounced; they all stain the clothes, and neither had bad aroma.

HTH

The one from Aubrey Organics may not even be available anymore and I don't recall if it was made with the whole fruit and seeds or seeds only but it was a strong enough color to stain fabric and didn't smell bad.
This is why I prefer buying from MRH or sites like it that give full information on all the aspects of the oil or other products they sell.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
Lacy53 wrote:
The website has "Live Help" option, but it is currently offline. They also list a phone number (203-285-6633) if you want to ask a question. There is also the option to leave a review of any product; maybe AnnieR could take advantage of that.

http://www.russellorganics.com/

I don't know about the phone but the live help has been offline all day, I checked the site early this morning to see what the description was. hmm

ETA The phone just gave me the voice mail, No mention of normal business hours.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, that's all I got as well.
Thanks Lacy53, I sent a comment/question email to them so we'll see what they say!
Also, my color is a very pale, pale yellow.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
Yes, that's all I got as well.
Thanks Lacy53, I sent a comment/question email to them so we'll see what they say!
Also, my color is a very pale, pale yellow.

Possibly it's just the seeds used Annie? I don't know from the information they provide. It can depend on the source of the seeds or fruit depending on growing conditions ect. But a quality oil should have a richer color IMO and the bad odor is just really off. Plus the fact both the Argan Oil and your Sea Buckthorn Oil both smell wrong/bad!
I hope they make it right!

Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Ladies,

Please allow me to introduce myself. I am the CEO of Russell Organics, Richard Russell. This thread was forwarded to me this afternoon and I would like to address the issues concerning our products. First, thank you very much for your direct feedback. It is extremely important to me to hear back from our customers. We use this feedback to improve our company and our products. We take your feedback very seriously, which is why I am replying to your questions/issues. With that said, let's get to it.

1. Forgive me for not knowing your names, but I will address the issues. The Argan Oil issue. We import our Argan Oil from various producers in Morocco who are certified organic by Eco-Cert. As this is a 'pure' argan oil and not processed in any way, you can imagine that there would be minor variants in the quality due to seasonality, quality of harvest, transport conditions, etc. We never mix 'lot numbers' so we can determine if there is an issue with a particular supplier. I have our team investigating this issue as I type this. We have identified the lot number and supplier of your exact bottle. To date, we have not had any negative feedback on that lot number. BUT, your feedback is noted. We are one of the leading suppliers of Argan Oil in the market. I want to resolve this to your satisfaction. I think the proper protocol is to go through EDS and they can contact me. What I would like to do is send you a free replacement from a different LOT number to see if this makes a difference for you. We have a fresh LOT coming in about a week from now. Would this be acceptable for you? If so, please contact EDS, ask them to contact me and I will send them your replacement which they can forward to you. Email me at info@russellorganics as we go through this process so I know you are being taken care of. Then after you receive the replacement, email me your feedback please.

2. Sea Buckthorn Oil. I saw a comment and question about our Sea Buckthorn Oil. There are two types of pure Sea Buckthorn Oil. One from the seeds and the other from the seeds and fruit. Ours is from the latter. We prefer the 'fruit and seed' oil because is has a deeper mix of nutrients, which is why you would buy the oil in the first place. The trade-off is that the Sea Buckthorn Oil has a slightly more pronounced Sea Buckthorn Oil scent. It is also deeper in color than seed oil. Our product page discloses this on the description of the product. I am not sure why it may have been overlooked other than we just re-launched our site two days ago and maybe an older description was copied and posted. The current description is correct. I checked this LOT number as well and we have zero negative feedback on it until this one. Quick question - is this your first time using Sea Buckthorn Oil? If so, perhaps the standard Sea Buckthorn Oil scent may be a surprise for you. But none-the-less, I want to make sure you are absolutely satisfied. Let's use the same resolution, if you so desire? Contact EDS and have them request a replacement from a different LOT. Contact me at info@russelloganics so I can make sure that you are taken care of and completely satisfied.

I think that takes care of the issues ladies.

Let me squeeze in a brief statement about the use of 'oils' as beauty products. I cannot speak to the competition, but our oils are 100% natural. They contain nothing but the actual oil. All oils have an inherent scent. Some more so than others. Since we do not use toxic parfum to mask these inherent scents you get to experience the oil in its natural state - pure and undiluted. If you find the benefits great but not so for the scent, perhaps a drop of your favorite essential oil would work for you.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We have a lot of new products coming out over the next few months and I am looking forward to your reviews. We enjoy our affiliation with Essential Day Spa and their fantastic customer base. Do contact me directly if I can be of assistance. Kind regards.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:50 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the info. All in all, I am loving the product! I may not be used to the odor, to me it smells sort of like tamanu oil, so it is a strong scent. But the color is very light and non-staining, which is what threw me off. But I am using it and so far, loving it!
I appreciate you following up so very quickly and all of the feedback. That always shows someone who cares about their products and customer satisfaction.
I will send you an email to follow up. That was at info@russelloganics.com? I am assuming it was a dot com so that's where I sent it to!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Nope, that wasn't it, it sent it back to me so i had to call and leave a message.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:25 am      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
Nope, that wasn't it, it sent it back to me so i had to call and leave a message.

They changed the website to fix the information on the oils, but under contact us there is the phone number, mailing address and a form to fill out and send your comments/questions. There isn't an email address listed at least that I could find.

The email that was posted isn't a complete address as any phone number, email (in full) URL posted I can directly contact from the iPhone just by touching it, that's how I called the phone number Lacy posted yesterday. I can't access the email from that one posted!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks DM for chekcing that out.
I did get a very lovely phone call from Richard Rusell. He took the time to patiently answer all of my questions. I feel very reassured that it was just that the smell is stronger than i was expecting and it is okay to use. I do not feel the need to exhchange it. I have used it daily so far w/o any issues and am actually pretty pleased with it so far.
Now on the Argon Oil, I wish I could say, but their willingness to take the time to call and offer to exchange the product is very reassuring to me.
I even got him to recommend other products to try and will very soon, which is the 24 creme. It sounds so good for my skin type. I love good customer service and those who stand behind their products in this day and age.
Displaced, good luck on the Argon Oil and give them a call to replace it and give it another try!

Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:37 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |