Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
How do you cover gray hair if you have black hair?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:06 am      Reply with quote
Do you go to the salon to have the gray part dyed black? Or do you do a home color every couple of weeks? If you do it at home, what do you use? Is the Just For Men really just for men, or can women also use it to cover her gray?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:29 am      Reply with quote
Natalyn wrote:
Do you go to the salon to have the gray part dyed black? Or do you do a home color every couple of weeks? If you do it at home, what do you use? Is the Just For Men really just for men, or can women also use it to cover her gray?

Natalyn Hi!

I have never used Just For Men I just would personally buy a decent permanent hair color actually that's what I do, and I color at home.

If you are interested in Just For Men here is some information about it and the ingredients. (you still use peroxide)

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/16-07/st_justformen

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:51 am      Reply with quote
I amAsian I use revlon Color silk43 medium golden brown.It is 250 at walmart. I do not like to have it professionally done,it takes too much time and I dont like how most of the stylists are not careful and leave dye outside of hairline, staining the skin. This is the perfect color as it covers the grey and gives a very natural look to dark hair. I get compliments all the time on this color. I touchup every 3 days at the roots in hairline and sides of face(i can use the same bottle for 6 touchups...) I dye the whole head of hair maybe every 6 weeks.....I am afraid this color will be discontinued...it is so cheap and other hair dyes are now 10 a box and are starting to ace out the shelf space for some of the colorsilk colors...I can tell they will boot it because they make way more profit on a 10 box of haircolor vs a 2.50 box so I have stocked up on it!
bordnfl2
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
I use Revlon Colorsilk as well, light golden brown however. The golden color makes my gray look highlighted and I get lots of compliments on the color and shine.

I used to have auburn hair but as I got older, the gray took on an artificial look when I used red-based colors so now I use the golden color. I color my roots every 4-5 weeks. About once every 6 months I color all of it.

In the past I was getting my color at Sally's Beauty Supply and was using a demi-permanent soy color from Clairol that was very nice as well, but in the end I like the Colorsilk better.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
I love Revlon colorsilk also! Sometimes you can buy it at walmart 2 boxes for $2.95.What a deal! And yes, if you have grey hair it will come out a little lighter....like having highlights.Yes, i actually have tried other colors and I use the lighter brown also to lightly touchup white hairs on my eyebrows(yikes).Unfortunately my hair grows quite fast because of supplements I take like biosil and msm so I do need to touchup quite frequently.... Crying or Very sad
bordnfl2
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
lucyluc, I love it for my brows too. Like you, I take a supplement for hair and nails, but mine is Biotin and my hair is fast growing. But unlike you, I'm really lazy about touchups so I go a lot longer. I have never got Colorsilk that cheap but I'm amazed at how well it works and it doesn't smell offensive like others. I'll start paying better attention to sales.
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:34 am      Reply with quote
Oh thank you so much for the recommendation, Lucyluc and bordnfl. I'm going to have to try this Color Silk by Revlon. Question though, does it dry out hair?
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:39 am      Reply with quote
Well, I heavily condition my hair and dont wash everyday,that helps to prevent that.Also, you may want to buy a silk pillowcase , a cotton one will suck the oils out of your hair and dry it out.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
I have grey hair and every two weeks, I use brown and black henna to cover the greys. I don't use commercial brand hair color because it will make my hair more "greyer"... I'd rather use a natural henna to soften the blow...
We all can not avoid "greying". But I preferred a safer alternative on my hair... no chemical and all that stuff... My hair is shinier and more bouncy using henna. The only thing is that "it smells" a day or two. What I do is put a conditioner after shampoo. it helps conditions my hair too and won't smell that bad... But the glow and shine are there especially in the sun, it it like highlights on my hair Smile

Natalyn wrote:
Elvisshops
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:11 am      Reply with quote
I sure know how you feel. I have black hair and have been battling WHITE hair since I was in college. I have to color every two weeks. I hate doing it, but if I don't color, I'd look like Lilly Munster. No way could I afford to go to a salon since I have to color so often. I'd have to get a second job just for my hair. LOL

Jade,
Do you use the henna products that you mix into a paste and let set for hours or do you use box hair color that is some kind of henna product but not true, pure henna? I have thought of going with the pure henna. I did some research and found that I'd need to use henna and indigo to get black, and that it would be a long, messy process. I love the idea of using natural products, especially since I must color so often, but I don't think I could devote the kind of time and effort it would take to use henna and indigo every two weeks. What are your thoughts? Thanks.
livmaquillage
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
You may try japanese hair dye products like palty or Prettia hair color. saw some posts and it seemed very easy to use at home.
Petunia
5% products discount

Sat May 02, 2015 9:41 am      Reply with quote
I highly recommend Ion Instant Demi in blue black. It leaves my hair quite shiny-doesn't damage it at all. I use it every two weeks on my roots. I get complements all the time on my hair. Usually from guys.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:43 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |