Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Beauty & Shrimp
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
MentorAmy05
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, so you guys may have known or may not have known, but the other day I was curious as to what I was doing differently, as my facial skin seemed to look better....kind of glowing type complexion and my skin seemed, well better, overall.....So I was in the thinking mode as to what I was doing differently and the one thing that I could think of was that I had been eating shrimp approx. every other day for approx. 2 weeks.....(For whatever reason, I was craving it) but anyways, out of curiosity I looked that up....Shrimp and skin Smile and there it was.....shrimp is one of the top foods on the list of foods that help your skin Smile Just a little F.Y.I. for you ones that like shrimp. P.S. I have been eating fried, popcorn shrimp Smile

Dry - Combo Skin - added Retin A to my pm skincare regime on March 20, 2015---I have used Rosehip and coconut oil-daily-for over a year and this significally reduced my scarring and evened my skin tone
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, I wasn't aware that shrimp was good for your skin...I love shrimp!

It could be the extra oil in your diet from the fried shrimp that is helping your skin too.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
Wow, I wasn't aware that shrimp was good for your skin...I love shrimp!

It could be the extra oil in your diet from the fried shrimp that is helping your skin too.

I love shrimp too, but too much is really bad for your cholesterol! Even if not fried or smothered in butter.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
MentorAmy05 wrote:
(For whatever reason, I was craving it) but anyways, out of curiosity I looked that up....Shrimp and skin Smile and there it was.....shrimp is one of the top foods on the list of foods that help your skin Smile Just a little F.Y.I. for you ones that like shrimp. P.S. I have been eating fried, popcorn shrimp Smile

4oz of shrimp, when steamed/boiled provides the following nutrients that are great for the skin; (I'm thinking these nutrients are responsible for the improvements you are enjoying!)

-0.37 g Omega 3 Fatty Acids
-2.94 mg B3 (Niacin)
-1.77 mg Zinc
-0.22 mg Copper
-38.56 mg Magnesium

Not sure exactly how "fried popcorn shrimp" would deplete some of those benefits, but I'm glad you're reaping the rewards none the less.. Laughing

I'm also living in DM's neck of the woods, and want to consider the cholesterol issues with my shrimp indulgence.

Somewhere between "boiled + fried" there is a happy medium that will give us the best of what shrimp has to offer, and allow us to live long enough to enjoy it...Very Happy

I try to get the best of both worlds from my choices of "shrimp cocktail" and "shrimp scampi" And yep, scampi can be just as delish with a tiny bit of butter (rather than 1/2 lb Shock Laughing )

This website is interesting, for those who want to know more about healthy eating choices;

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=107

Bon Appétit Very Happy

ETA: @DM, I see Amy is in her "early 30's", so now it's clear why an abundance of "fried popcorn shrimp" isn't her priority just yet.. (Live and learn Laughing Bad Grin Laughing )

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
Live and learn indeed I have a friend who at 22 was called back to the doctors office because of how high her cholesterol was and she was/is thin and someone close who's grand daughter was put on colestid at 3 because hers was over 400! hmm

I just am thinking every other day could be a lot?

Also putting a kibosh on the idea you have to be either heavy or old to be concerned about high levels.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
I think if you eat in the proper portion it's good but over dose is high calories.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
nickieygirl wrote:
I think if you eat in the proper portion it's good but over dose is high calories.

Yes, but some foods are just naturally higher, same burger with beef or bison and the beef is much higher in cholesterol than the bison ounce for ounce.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
The American perspective on dietary cholesterol:

People get cholesterol in two ways. The body — mainly the liver — produces varying amounts, usually about 1,000 milligrams a day. Foods also can contain cholesterol. Foods from animals (especially egg yolks, meat, poultry, shellfish and whole- and reduced-fat milk and dairy products) contain it. Foods from plants (fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts and seeds) don't contain cholesterol.

Typically the body makes all the cholesterol it needs, so people don't need to consume it. Saturated fatty acids are the main culprit in raising blood cholesterol, which increases your risk of heart disease. Trans fats also raise blood cholesterol. But dietary cholesterol also plays a part. The average American man consumes about 337 milligrams of cholesterol a day; the average woman, 217 milligrams.

Some of the excess dietary cholesterol is removed from the body through the liver. Still, the American Heart Association recommends that you limit your average daily cholesterol intake to less than 300 milligrams. If you have heart disease, limit your daily intake to less than 200 milligrams. Still, everyone should remember that by keeping their dietary intake of saturated and trans fats low, they can significantly lower their dietary cholesterol intake. Foods high in saturated fat generally contain substantial amounts of dietary cholesterol.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4488

The Canadian perspective:

Canada, like the United States, held a "consensus conference on cholesterol" in 1988. Although the final report of the consensus panel recommended that total dietary fat not exceed 30 percent and saturated fat not exceed 10 percent of total energy intake, it did not specify an upper limit for dietary cholesterol. Similarly, the 1990, Health Canada publication "Nutrition Recommendations: The Report of the Scientific Review Committee" specified upper limits for total and saturated fat in the diet but did not specify an upper limit for cholesterol. Canada's Guidelines for Healthy Eating, a companion publication from Health Canada, suggested that Canadians "choose low-fat dairy products, lean meats, and foods prepared with little or no fat" while enjoying "a variety of foods." Many factors contributed to this position but a primary element was the belief that total dietary fat and saturated fat were primary dietary determinants of serum total and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels, not dietary cholesterol. Hence, Canadian health authorities focused on reducing saturated fat and trans fats in the Canadian diet to help lower blood cholesterol levels rather than focusing on limiting dietary cholesterol. In addition, it was pointed out that for most healthy individuals, endogenous synthesis of cholesterol by the liver adjusts to the level of dietary cholesterol intake. Educating health professionals about the relatively weak association between dietary cholesterol and the relatively strong association between serum cholesterol and saturated fat and trans fats helped keep consumers informed about healthy diets and ways to control blood cholesterol.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15640515

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:03 am      Reply with quote
What the heck is fried popcorn shrimp? Sounds really unhealthy to me. We Aussies love our prawns (that's what we call them) but we usually just eat them cold after they've been boiled in salt water - you know, just peel 'em and eat 'em.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:34 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
What the heck is fried popcorn shrimp? Sounds really unhealthy to me. We Aussies love our prawns (that's what we call them) but we usually just eat them cold after they've been boiled in salt water - you know, just peel 'em and eat 'em.

Leave it to the wacky US we can buy tiny little shrimp about the size of a dime and monster shrimp some fresh water I have seen rival lobster tails!

Fried popcorn shrimp are the small ones battered and deep fried!

What can I say about a nation that came up with deep fried butter?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
The ratio between HDL and LDL is more important than the total number. I have a higher than normal HDL which makes my total well above 200 but my doctor is very pleased. HDL acts to "scrub out" your arteries. I eat lots of fish and olive oil, as well as dairy products. The newer view is that fat isn't as detrimental to health (except transfats) as grains and sugar.
livmaquillage
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
wow, good to know. My hubby and I love shrimps:)
However, I don't think fried food is healthy...
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:13 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |