Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
How many drops is 0.6 ml/cc?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Flavia
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:14 am      Reply with quote
I'm making my C serum and I have a hard time filling my dropper with the correct amount (0.6 ml/cc) of polysorbate 80. I get air in the dropper and it's just a little tricky. And I don't really have a .6 mark on it, anyway. I think counting drops would be an easier way to be more accurate. How many?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:21 am      Reply with quote
Flavia wrote:
I'm making my C serum and I have a hard time filling my dropper with the correct amount (0.6 ml/cc) of polysorbate 80. I get air in the dropper and it's just a little tricky. And I don't really have a .6 mark on it, anyway. I think counting drops would be an easier way to be more accurate. How many?

1 drop=1cc/1mm 6 drops. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:36 am      Reply with quote
This recipe calls for .6 cc, not 6 cc. You're saying 6 cc = 6 drops? Not .6? Sorry I'm so mathematically challenged!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Flavia wrote:
This recipe calls for .6 cc, not 6 cc. You're saying 6 cc = 6 drops? Not .6? Sorry I'm so mathematically challenged!

It's somewhat variable as we don't have sophisticated lab equipment! 1 drop is 1 cc, just aim for a very small drop and you should be just fine. Smile Sorry I missed the . the first time!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:33 am      Reply with quote
1 drop cannot be 1cc, 1cc is lots and lots of drops
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:52 am      Reply with quote
You're talking about the drip chambers in IV sets, and, yes, standard IV sets deliver 15 gtts/ml; however, there are also IV sets that deliver 60 gtts/ml and those are frequently/typically used in peds settings (makes it harder to accidentally run too much fluid into the kids, although that's a lot less of an issue now that the controllers and pumps are so common). It will always say somewhere on the packaging for the IV tubing set how many gtts/ml it delivers.

gtts=drops so it depends on the size of your drop I have measeued a drop from a vit. E capsule into an insulin needle and got 1cc, if I were to measure a drop from that same syringe coming out of the needle it's a much smaller drop!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
You are right daler, my bad! LOL I am the one who origionally posted this information!

Bellezza wrote:
3. How to measure 1 cc powder active?

Someone posted this:
1ml or 1cc = 15-16 minums
1 0.06 ml = 1 minums = 1 gtt (gtt stands for drops). Of course this is for liquids and you're using powder.

Try this:www.allnurses.com

Bellezza,
I did post that as somebody said they had no idea what on earth gtts. stood for and I did a quick search on google and came up
with allnurses.com and an answer.

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
no problem DarkMoon; I use syringes ( without needles) for my DIY potions and I could tell that 1 cc would be many drops Wink

I just used the syringe ( without needle) to figure out how many drops, so here it is:

.6ml= 15 drops ( of water, it may vary with other liquids as well as size of the drop)
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
no problem DarkMoon; I use syringes ( without needles) for my DIY potions and I could tell that 1 cc would be many drops Wink

I just used the syringe ( without needle) to figure out how many drops, so here it is:

.6ml= 15 drops ( of water, it may vary with other liquids)

I don't know where my brain went, I have syringes with needles left from both insulin and B-12 injections and each will have a different size drop because of the needle size! Embarassed

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
Just to clarify, I'm using the little plastic dropper that came with my LotionCrafter stuff. As mentioned in my original post, I'm using polysorbate 80. When I make up the serum, there is a bit of foam at the top of the bottle which I have to shake up. That defeats the purpose of the emulsifier, I would guess. Is the foam the result of using too much p80 or not enough? So you think I should use about 15 drops? I know you tested using water and p80 is oily.
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
well, in DIY, you have to do trial and error... why dont you try with 10 drops and see... also, is there any oil in your recipe? cause emulsifiers are used to mix oil in water to form an emulsion......

Flavia wrote:
Just to clarify, I'm using the little plastic dropper that came with my LotionCrafter stuff. As mentioned in my original post, I'm using polysorbate 80. When I make up the serum, there is a bit of foam at the top of the bottle which I have to shake up. That defeats the purpose of the emulsifier, I would guess. Is the foam the result of using too much p80 or not enough? So you think I should use about 15 drops? I know you tested using water and p80 is oily.
Flavia
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I'm using vitamin e oil and glycerin. I'll experiment, but I just wasn't sure what caused the foam at the top of the bottle, so don't know whether to try more or less.
JonnyNJ
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
I worked in a lab for 30 years and the rule of thumb was 20 drops= 1 ml

I just checked the internet and that is the recommended conversion.

0.6mL= 12 drops.

Personally, in the absence of any other way to measure, that is what I would use.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:22 am      Reply with quote
Here's a calculator for converting drops:

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/cooking-conversions/conversions.aspx

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:13 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Here's a calculator for converting drops:

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/cooking-conversions/conversions.aspx

According to this it's almost (0.9....ml) equals 15 drops and just over 1 ml = 16 drops.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:49 am      Reply with quote
IMO the guormetsleuth website is not a reliable site for chemistry information. I personally would choose another website.

A gooogle search for:

drop ml "rule of thumb"

yields these results and many others

http://www.austincc.edu/respinos/Dosage%20ModulesI-V.ppt

http://allairepharmaceuticals.com/pharmguide.htm

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem00/chem00578.htm

http://forum.onlineconversion.com/archive/index.php?t-618.html

In nearly all laboratories in the U.S., if a drop measurement were used the 20 drops/ml conversion rate would be applied. I worked for at least seven different companies for 35 years and if I were making solution this is the conversion that I would use. Everyone is free to choose there own conversion rate.

Using drops for measuring is not the most accurate method. For many things it is close enough which is why it is still used. Drops would never be used for any analytical method. When making a cosmetic product at home, using drops will be close enough as a slight variation one way or another is not critical to the performance of the solution or cream.

Another method for the at home chemical compounder would be to use a 1/8 teaspoon for 0.6 ml. 5 ml= 1 tsp 0.6ml= 0.12 tsp or 1/8 of a tsp. I don't even know if 1/8 tsp measuring spoons are available but that would work.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:09 am      Reply with quote
LotionCrafters sells all the following,

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/allproducts.php

.15cc Measuring Scoop
1.25cc Measuring Scoop
15ml Measuring Scoop
1cc Measuring Scoop

1cc Measuring Scoop

When you need to measure .5cc or 1cc accurately!

This scoop is just the ticket. It holds 1cc or 1ml (equivalent to about 1/5th of a teaspoon), but also has an inside line marked for .5cc or .5ml.

Capacity:  1cc

Material:  Polystyrene

Length: 75mm (3")

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:36 am      Reply with quote
JonnyNJ wrote:
In nearly all laboratories in the U.S., if a drop measurement were used the 20 drops/ml conversion rate would be applied. I worked for at least seven different companies for 35 years and if I were making solution this is the conversion that I would use. Everyone is free to choose there own conversion rate.

Using drops for measuring is not the most accurate method. For many things it is close enough which is why it is still used. Drops would never be used for any analytical method. When making a cosmetic product at home, using drops will be close enough as a slight variation one way or another is not critical to the performance of the solution or cream.

Another method for the at home chemical compounder would be to use a 1/8 teaspoon for 0.6 ml. 5 ml= 1 tsp 0.6ml= 0.12 tsp or 1/8 of a tsp. I don't even know if 1/8 tsp measuring spoons are available but that would work.

From Pharmaceutical Calculations for the Pharmacy Technician:

Frequently the drop is used as a measurement for medicines; it does not represent a definite quantity, because drops of different liquids vary greatly. In an attempt to standardize the drop as a unit of volume, the United States Pharmacopoeia defines the official medicine dropper as being constricted at the delivery end to a round opening with an external diameter of about 3 mm. The dropper, when held vertically, delivers water in drops. The official dropper is calibrated to deliver approximately 20 drops of water per milliliter.

So 0.6 mL is 12 drops. 1/8 of a teaspoon is a very close approximation of 0.6 mL.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:20 am      Reply with quote
Seems to depend on the country as well? 

http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_medical.htm

15 to 16 drops ( gtts ) = 1 cc = 1ml

Note:- Spoon and drop conversions should be regarded as approximations due to the different surface tensions and specific gravity of various liquids.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:03 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |