Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Surgical Tweeks
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
rmc7
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:32 am      Reply with quote
After reading the Post by Whirleegig on the Aging Gracefully thread I thought about an incident that happened in work. A very attractive 72 yr old adm. assistant called me aside 2 days ago to tell me she had her stomach and love handles lipoed on Monday. Wed she was back in work with a pressure garment. She had the lipo while she was awake! She said her Pl.Surg. Shot her full of local anesth. because she wanted to drive herself back and forth from her appt. She knew her family would not approve. She had her eyes done, her forehead lifted, her cheeks injected, botox in various places and has never said a word to her family because they so strongly object to cosmetic surgery. And yet I have spoken to her grand children who are so "PROUD" of Grandma's youthful appearance. What is the deal? She is and was beautiful, both inside and out, she is much to energetic to look her age, so why should she?" [quote]If our corporeal forms don't represent who we really are inside than what difference does it make if we modify? Are you a nice person? Do you treat others respectfully? Do you try to make the world a little bit better with your presence or do you make it worse? These are the concerns that interest me. Otherwise, graft an arm coming out of your head for all I care, it's your body!Whirleegig" I agree 100% with this. Why do you all suppose others so strongly object to surgical "TWEEKS"

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:47 am      Reply with quote
rmc7 wrote:
Why do you all suppose others so strongly object to surgical "TWEEKS"

I think a lot of the objection is due to jealously. People are jealous that someone looks good after the "tweek", jealous that they can't afford the tweeks, etc.
JonnyNJ
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:22 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
rmc7 wrote:

I think a lot of the objection is due to jealously. People are jealous that someone looks good after the "tweek", jealous that they can't afford the tweeks, etc.

I agree. What I don't understand is why many people believe that they are entitled to judge what someone else does to their own face or body when it has no bearing on them personally. If someone chooses not to have fillers, lifts, etc what difference does it make, and why is it so important to them, what I do?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:32 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
rmc7 wrote:

I agree but also think some is generational I say that because I hear from many who are 15+ years my senior that they would never undergo any elective surgery (not all but a large number). I don't know if they fear some strange "plastic" perception from others, anesthesia which is less dangerous now than years ago, combo of both....things I can't think of???

I know the term cosmetic surgery over plastic surgery has been used in an attempt to replace the former in my lifetime???

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:44 am      Reply with quote
JonnyNJ wrote:

I agree. What I don't understand is why many people believe that they are entitled to judge what someone else does to their own face or body when it has no bearing on them personally. If someone chooses not to have fillers, lifts, etc what difference does it make, and why is it so important to them, what I do?

On that I just honestly have found some people who find it appropriate to ask the most personal and intimate questions, and if you answer honestly they take license to judge whatever you divulge! To me it seems very odd indeed, I was raised that you can agree to disagree but others choices should be respected. I think if you ask and think the person looks great just say so and if it's not your cup of tea to do the same just say "You look awesome, I couldn't go that route personally but it sure has worked out beautifully for you" ?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that it's jealousy as well as a feeling that you have an "unfair advantage" because the more attractive you look, the better you are treated, generally speaking.

It's also a matter of survival, because I doubt that 72 year old woman would have a job if she looked her age. Age discrimination is a dirty little secret but hard to prove.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
rmc7 wrote:

You hit the nail on the head! Jealous women can't help themselves-- and have to say something mean. They just can't say..."you look great what are you doing? I'd love to look as good as you." That would just be too cool and nice. lol
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
I agree there is the element of jealousy and some nastiness.

The reason I mention the generational issue, well let me give you an example I have a cousin married to the same man for 50+ years, she's had a really unattractive mole for decades and refused to have it removed although my dear sweet aunt tried and tried to convince her. Well finally at 74 her doctor insisted due to changes so now all these years later and a quick doctors appt. It's gone!

I also know older more conservative friends that for religious reasons will not alter their body for vanity, no ear piercing, no tattoos, and no PS. It's you go back to the earth when you die just the same as you entered it.

I think there are many reasons people choose not to for themselves, BUT no judgements or rude comments should be made to those who choose to do as they wish. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

I know the term cosmetic surgery over plastic surgery has been used in an attempt to replace the former in my lifetime???

I find myself using that term more and more. It really does sound less "invasive" and "offensive". Even for myself when speaking with someone now (I am more cautious) if I don't know them well or feel I can't judge their reaction I will call my procedure "cosmetic". Unless I am with my close friends then we get down and dirty!! Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
rmc7 wrote:

I agree entirely - it's usually because they either can't afford the procedures or because they're too scared to have anything done. In their own mind, this causes some embarrassment so they put down other people who don't have these issues.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:31 am      Reply with quote
I'm surprized that the doctor actually let the lady stay awake and then drive herself back?
I find that a bit hard to beleive.

I have had minor surgery this year (for a arm musle problem) and had to have someone pick me up and drive me home-was not allowed to leave by myself.

Usually you could maybe take a taxi home by yourself.
The 70+ year old lady driving home-that is just as bad as someone driving home drunk.
That does not impress me at all, kind of too bad she was not ticketed by a random cop...

As for people having cosmetic surgery I'm not really against it.
Not too sure what I would have done if I really wanted something.
If you really want surgery bad enough you can always borrow the money and pay it back later.

Heck I have to pay my dentist $4,000 this year for clear braces.
And I actually had a family friend say that I really did not need them (can't really convince someone if most of your teeth problem can not really been seen....)

Maybe younger people are more accepting of surgery thesedays?
tanyasusie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:37 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
rmc7 wrote:

That might be part of it, but that might not be all it.

I admitted on the other thread that I used to be that person who was so opposed to cosmetic surgery and totally judgemental. It wasn't out of jealousy, but instead of that the fact we have an impossible standard for women (and now men) to live up to. I have always felt that cosmetic surgery helps to enforce that standard.

Now, having said that, until recently I had always been reasonably happy with my appearance (very far from perfect, but nothing that I thought about after I walked away from the mirror). Once I went through the experience of being unhappy with my appearance I totally got it and felt no one should be unhappy with their appearance because it is a truly horrible experience.

I think that some of those people might be jealous, some might be opposed for various reasons (like the fact we reinforce that someones "natural" best is not good enough), or like me they just plain don't understand what it is to go through being unhappy with your appearance.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:31 am      Reply with quote
good perspective Rileygirl. The thing about opinions...they change as our lives change. I think part of modern living is we have more choices in so many aspects of our lives..when decades ago we did not.
It used to be that cosmetic surgery was elusive...few doctors did it...it was for the rich. A lot of it looked pretty bad to...(compared to today's standards). In my town, there are plastic surgery centers everywhere that take credit cards. I've seen some good "work," and would never put anyone down for going that route. But it can be too much of a good thing.

For right this moment...my opinion on plastic surgery is that a lot of it looks pretty "plastic." I think because it is so available for when a person feels down... some women overdo it.
I've been watching that "Housewives of Beverly Hills," and those poor women look clownish...not young...not beautiful. It has really made me think about the beauty basics.. good healthy skin, nice teeth and hair. Mostly being interested in life and having something worth while to do and say. Beauty that shines from the inside out.
It is sort of scary to realize that those women think they look great. How their own self image is now warped because everyone around them is "doing it." I think that could happen to any of us.
rmc7
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:11 am      Reply with quote
Ottawa Shopper wrote:
I'm surprised that the doctor actually let the lady stay awake and then drive herself back?
I find that a bit hard to believe.

That actually happened (according to her) and I can't believe she would make that up. She claimed she wasn't drugged, just numb. She also tried to talk the Pl. Surgeon into doing her neck under local(for the same reason) but she said that wouldn't be possible, she would have to be asleep. In which case I am going to mention the Taxi to her, but I know even for a colonoscopy in which I am asleep I can only be released to a responsible adult and a taxi is out of the question. But her Doctor seems pretty liberal in her thinking.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:14 am      Reply with quote
sorry I just couldn't get the format right!on Ottawa Shoppers quote. Too much pre holiday celebrations last night! I've lost my mind temporarily Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:45 am      Reply with quote
A lot of people are actually AFRAID of plastic surgery...the cutting away of loose skin, the suturing up..etc scares a lot of people...lipo is also the number one cause of plastic surgery deaths,I am a little surprised she had all that surgery done at her advanced age...but like they say...aging is inevitable....acceptance is optional. A lot of people will act repulsed when they hear of someone getting it BUT if they had the nerve and money to do it...they probably would.skin creams can only do so much....
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
I just want to add that men and woman are equally obnoxious about plastic surgery, and the guessing games that go on over it.

I had this when I went back to work after many years of staying home with my 4 kids. This group didn't know me at all and after 6 months this one girl who came up to about my 5-2 chin came over one day and had the nerve to tell me all the guys and girls were betting as to whether my breasts were real, and asked if they were implants!
I just looked her dead in her eyes (after bending down a bit) and told her The hair is dyed the nails are acrylic but everything else is what nature gave me. I am one that wouldn't care if they were fakes but the fact these people were betting about it and the way she approached me was just appalling to me!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
I am one that wouldn't care if they were fakes but the fact these people were betting about it and the way she approached me was just appalling to me!

Count your blessings that you've got something to place a bet on!! Laughing All bets are off on my breasts!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
rmc7 wrote:
In which case I am going to mention the Taxi to her, but I know even for a colonoscopy in which I am asleep I can only be released to a responsible adult and a taxi is out of the question. But her Doctor seems pretty liberal in her thinking.

In Oz, it's actually illegal to drive a motor vehicle after surgery - the doctor's discretion has nothing to do with it. After an anesthetic, you're not even allowed to take a taxi - you have to have someone come and pick you up.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
With regard to Hotdocgirl's comments on "The Housewives of Beverly Hills" - I love to watch all the makeover shows on TV and one thing I do notice is that the US cosmetic surgery shows do seem to turn everyone into Barbie Dolls - you know, the huge breasts, hair extensions, big white teeth, tiny nose. They all end up looking like clones of each other. Whereas, the British or Aussie makeover shows seem to enhance people in a much more natural way. Just my observation.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
You know what is funny about that is it's that California thing! I heard one guy talking to another woman about LA and he said that comparing New York to LA, That he appreciated that there aren't all the bleached blonds, fake boobs and lips injected. He added that in LA he could throw a stone and hit 10 Pam Andersons where in New York maybe 1 in a couple thousand! Smile It was another reality show!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
rmc7 wrote:
In which case I am going to mention the Taxi to her, but I know even for a colonoscopy in which I am asleep I can only be released to a responsible adult and a taxi is out of the question. But her Doctor seems pretty liberal in her thinking.

In Oz, it's actually illegal to drive a motor vehicle after surgery - the doctor's discretion has nothing to do with it. After an anesthetic, you're not even allowed to take a taxi - you have to have someone come and pick you up.

It's the same in all 3 states I have lived in, and they don't just trust you they wheel you out to the car door after sending your driver out to bring the car around! I even had that with 2 having wisdom teeth extracted! It's a good thing because they both (on separate occasions) were totally in la la land and slept all the way home, walked with my help to the living room couch and passed out!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
It depends on how much surgery you've had and what type of anesthetic they use. I've always had locals for most things and drove myself home because I was wide awake and in no pain. My endodontist seemed annoyed that I didn't want to be knocked out. I kept thinking of that Seinfeld episode where Jerry woke up after a dental procedure and his clothes were askew and he believed he had been "tampered with." Laughing
beautyrose
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
I think botox in various is safe.I will try when I am 40 old
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:21 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |