Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Review Gelish Nail "Polish" Treatment
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Time2Bme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:18 am      Reply with quote
Cost - really depends on the place. Most of the ones I found charge between $10 and $15 more for a Shellac treatment. It really depends on the place. Also, if your someone who likes to soak their hands, be exfoliated, etc etc, you have to ask that ahead of time. Many places charge more for that application, but also don't do the extras when they do the application. Initially, I thought it was because your nails had to be dehydrated for the product to adhere to it; however, the last application of Shellac I had, I did have the whole thing (exfoliation, etc etc).

Now for my final review on both ... I'm no longer using either product Sad

I found a really good nail spa / nail tech and went there for another Shellac application. I had been assured by every other place that I went to that I could continue to use Gelish repeatedly without a break. I was told the same thing about Shellac - except from the place I now go to. They told me that they strongy recommend to their clients that do 2 applications of Shellac and then take a break for a couple of weeks. Because you have to soak your fingers in acetone each time you get a new application, it really dries out your nails. This place said that they like their clients to prevent any damage to their nails by taking a break. The other place I had been going to said that as long as I was really diligent about applying the Solar Nail Oil, I could easily go from application to application without a break in between. I was obsessive about applying the oil. My fingernails are so ugly without something on it, that I didnt' want to take a break. I easily put the oil on my nails 10 times or more per day. I also use very good hand creams (i.e. Jurlique) throughout the day. This is the first winter EVER that my hands were not dry at all.

Even with the oil and lotions, my nails were really bad when they removed the Shellac. I had been using Gelish for approximately 9 applications and I did the Shellac for 3 applications. Between the two products, I had been doing it back to back for approximately 4 months. My nails were covered in white spots. My nail tech told me that she suspected I had gotten away with using the product for this long without my entire nail splitting (like right down the nail bed) because I had been so diligent about the applying the oil. She told me that I shouldn't have any application - not even regular nail polish for at least a month, and probably 2mos. OMG - at the risk of sounding vain I had finally (for the first time in my life) not been embarassed a bout my hands. The thought of going back to weark splitting and thereby dirty looking nails (the dirt gets in between the layers of the nails and I can't get them clean) was really upsetting for me. I realize they are only nails, but I didn't want to back to hiding my hands again.

This nail tech told me that anyone who tells you that you can do Shellac repeatedly, without taking a break is lying to you. I am repeating what I've been told, so I'm not looking to create arguements with anyone. I had been told comlpetely conflicting information and can't say which one is telling the truth; however, I can speak from my experience. Even with applying the oil, my nails were really really dry. I suspect that they don't get as dry with Gelish if you don't keep changing the colour. My nail tech said that it isn't the product that dries your nails it is the acetone they use to remove the product. If you were using Gelish and sticking to a colour or a clear (or french) application, I suspect you wouldn't have run into the same issue.

I ended up researching products again and have now gone to artificial nails. Rolling Eyes I was lucky to find an amazing nail tech. They recommend the Solar brand of nail by CND. I am thrilled with them so far. I got him to cut them short. The nail barely extends past the pad of my fingertip. He said that it depends on how quickly my nails grow, but that most of his clients come every 2.5 wks. Some have really fast growing nails and have to come every 2 wks and some only come every 3. Most people come every 2.5 wks for a fill. You don't have to soak off the tips until your nails have grown out and they need to be re-done. They usually estimate that is every 3 times.

To be fair, Shellac isn't recommended for people with weak nails. I did get some conflicting information on that, but most say that it won't significantly strengthen your nails. I do think that Gelish is better for weaker nails. If you don't want to ever take a break, than I think you are better to go to some form of artificial nail. Just my opinion of course, but I'm sharing it. Smile

My nail tech will file my nails if I want to come in every week. He said that most of his new clients come in really often at the beginning, because they aren't used to the length. As they get used to having longer nails, they can easily go between appointments without filing them down.

Before going to artificial nails, you really have to do your homework and find a good place. I read a lot of hoopla about 'Solar Nails'. Solar nails is a CND product. If you don't see CND or Solar on the label, you aren't getting solar nails. I asked my nail tech about it and he said what some less reputable places do is just put the tip on your nail and then do the coats over it. With solar nails you have a pink powder that is applyed with a liquid on the pink part of your nail and a white powder on the white tip of your nail. It definitely takes a lot of skill because it is done with a paint brush. He dipped the brush in a CND product and then into the Solar white powder and applied it to the white tips. He did the same with the pink powder and applied it to the pink part of my nail. They look great.

With the Solar nails, I can still paint polish on them if I want. The polish tends to adhere better to artificial nails, apparently, so it will normally last longer. When I remove it, I will still have a french manicure with lots of shine. I think it is pretty cool.

Time will tell if I'm officially in love, but it is looking promising right now !!! For all those Gelish and Shellac users out there - good luck and I hope you're able to continue with the product. I do think it is a great option, but unfortunately, it didn't work for me long term.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:49 am      Reply with quote
Great review, Thanks Time2bme
Time2Bme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:15 am      Reply with quote
The other thing I should have added about the cost is the removal. It is worth bringing it up, if they don't tell you. Almost all places will not charge you for a removal if you are getting something done with them - either a normal manicure or another application of the product. If they do charge you, go somewhere else.

Some places charge up to $20 for a removal, but everywhere I asked said they wouldn't charge if you were getting something else done.

I've seen removal done different ways. They either do the acetone soaked cotton ball on your nail - held in place by foil, have you soak your finger tips in acetone or they use the Shellac removal strips. The strips look like a combination of a finger splint and a bandaid. They have a small strip of cotton that the put the acetone in and then they wrap your finger around it to hold it in place. From what I've read, you either love or hate the removal strips. What I did like about them was that you didn't acetone all over your fingers. What I didn't like about it is that it seems to take longer because the small cotton pad doesn't hold a lot of acetone. If you are a DIYer, you will hate the strip, because it is very cumbersome to do on your own.

5% products discount

Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:18 am      Reply with quote
thank you, the reveiw was great! I had a hard time finding salons that do gelish, finally found one 15 miles from where I live. Going to try it this weekend, I'll report back with the results.
Time2Bme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:37 am      Reply with quote
jdthompson wrote:
thank you, the reveiw was great! I had a hard time finding salons that do gelish, finally found one 15 miles from where I live. Going to try it this weekend, I'll report back with the results.

Good luck !!! I hope you like it. If you do a lighter colour, you will be able to make it last longer. I love the dark colours, so I always did that. Bella's Vampire and Night Reflections were my favourite colours. If I were to do it over again, I'd go lighter and then just do a dark nail polish on top of the Gelish if I wanted to. If you do polish on top of the Gelish, make sure you use an acetone-free remover to take off the nail polish. If you do, it won't damage the Gelish.

Be sure to tell us what you think !

5% products discount

Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
Time2Bme wrote:
jdthompson wrote:

Good luck !!! I hope you like it. If you do a lighter colour, you will be able to make it last longer. I love the dark colours, so I always did that. Bella's Vampire and Night Reflections were my favourite colours. If I were to do it over again, I'd go lighter and then just do a dark nail polish on top of the Gelish if I wanted to. If you do polish on top of the Gelish, make sure you use an acetone-free remover to take off the nail polish. If you do, it won't damage the Gelish.

Be sure to tell us what you think !

Hi got my first gelish done yesterday. It looks fabulous! It is supposed to last around 3 weeks right? So far I'm liking it! I think the color was called Desert Sand or something like that.
Time2Bme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Jdthompson

I hope you are continuing to like the Gelish. The nail tech I used to see when I was using it guaranteed it for 2 weeks, but said it should last between 2 to 3 weeks. If you stick to a lighter colour, I think you can get more time between treatments. Because I loved the dark colours, the most I went was 2.5 weeks - mainly because the new growth really started to show.

If you have a light colour and a good nail tech, I think you should get more than 2 weeks. I stopped using Gelish when I was only going a few days without chips. I think it was because she was applying it too thickly, but I was never able to get her to put it on correctly.

I'm still using the Solar nails (CND product) and am loving them. My nails look the same all the time - no more stress about chips!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:56 am      Reply with quote
I loved mine, just couldn't get it off. It stays on too well! It lasted about 4 weeks.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
If you can't use Gelish, you should really try Mavala nail polish and their top coat and Mavadry.

You get the same shine and your polish lasts at least 2 weeks.

I've had a few people on the bus or at the mall ask me if my nails were gel as the finish is very shiny.

it is a brand that is hard to find in a actual store,but you can buy it online at Feel Unique or else What she buys sells it w free shipping in the US.

the scientifique nail hardener Mavala makes gets rid of nail splits right away and works like magic!

Gelish sounds neat, but i hate having people do my nails ans change the colour every week.

right now my nails are dark navy blue metalic!
before that was lavender cream shade (from essie).
klmurphy

Mon May 02, 2011 10:19 am      Reply with quote
I am new to gel products in general but have been thinking about using gelish to help my paper thin nails after taking off acrylic nails. I am looking for something that will make them hard and allow them to grow out without ripping and tearing every time I touch something. Will gelish make them hard like the acrylic did? Thanks for any info anyone can give me.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 02, 2011 10:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi there!
I used Gelish because my nails are similar. Relish will definitely give your nails strength; however keep in mind that, like artificial nails the strength is based on the product not your nails itself. If your goal is to grow out your own nails, I would be tempted to just get cleR coats of Gelish applied. You could still paint a colour on top of the Gelish & remove it with an acetone free nail polish remover, but you won't have to remove the Gelish. If you stick to the same "colour" you don't have to have the product removed. It is the removal that is hard on your nails because you have to soak your nails in acetone to get it off.

When you keep the same colour, you get fills done. They but the Gelish down & apply the coats on top of it - no soaking in acetone. When I was using Gelish, there were a number of clients at the salon who were doing that.

<3nails#1

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
I started using shellac about 2 years ago and absolutely love it!! I also have gained so many clients by using the shellac product. The only downfall is there are not a lot of colors. I tries the OPI gel colors and found that they seemed to be thinner than the shellac. I was thinking of trying the Gelish. Can anyone tell me what they would compare the consistency too?? I also feel that the shellac stays on when it is suppose to but knows when to come off. The first time I tried to get OPI off it took me almost double the time(time I don't fit into appt slots);)Any feedback at all would be so helpful... Thank you Smile
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:21 am      Reply with quote
Is wrapping the nails the only way to remove the polish? Can't you just soal your nails in polish remover?

Thank you BFG
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:50 am      Reply with quote
Yes, you an soak your nails in acetone instead of wrapping them. It takes longer but it does work! Just don't forget to file off the "shine" before you soak!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
<3nails#1 wrote:
I started using shellac about 2 years ago and absolutely love it!! I also have gained so many clients by using the shellac product. The only downfall is there are not a lot of colors. I tries the OPI gel colors and found that they seemed to be thinner than the shellac. I was thinking of trying the Gelish. Can anyone tell me what they would compare the consistency too?? I also feel that the shellac stays on when it is suppose to but knows when to come off. The first time I tried to get OPI off it took me almost double the time(time I don't fit into appt slots);)Any feedback at all would be so helpful... Thank you Smile

I think Gelish is thicker than Shellac. It is more 'gel-like'.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Gelish is great. I use their base and top coats, along with the heavy duty curing light sold at Sallys - and my usual OPI and China Glaze polishes...my manis last about 10 days this way.

BFG
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:41 am      Reply with quote
LauraLizzie wrote:
Yes, you an soak your nails in acetone instead of wrapping them. It takes longer but it does work! Just don't forget to file off the "shine" before you soak!

The "trick" to soaking any artificial nail products off is DO NOT REMOVE YOUR NAILS FROM THE ACETONE, doing so hardens the product again and starts the process over. Hard to be patient I know but it makes a huge difference in time.

To avoid the drying effects of Acetone while soaking squirt a light oil in to the bowl with the Acetone. (a few squeezes of oil)

Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
Darlene Altvater wrote:
I am a nail tech and I have read that you can use the clear (simple shear?) as a color and then use regular nail polish over it. Do you use the gelish top coat over the clear before you put the regular polish on? Does the polish color stay on like the gelish color? I tried this when I first got it, and it didn't seem to work. Please help. I have many gelish clients that like polish colors. Also, gelish has a structure gel for repairs. I haven't purchased this yet, because I already have a uv gel that I use with forms. Also, I am finding out that the longer the gelish is left on, the harder it is to get off, especially if I do a back fill for french or a lighter color. When I go to take it off, it doesn't come off as easy and it dries out the nail more than it should. I think the longest to go would be 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. Please give me advice. Laughing

I just did a gelish manicure yesterday. It looks amazing! I used the entire system on my fingernails and I used a red opi nail polish with the system on my toes. I don't know if it will make the manicure last longer but I have had gel treatments since I was young and they always used regular polish. The chemical composite of a traditional gel treatment and Gelish are quite similar so I went for it and it defiantly worked.

May your day be filled with beauty!
AmazingLife
5% products discount

Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
BFG, do you use your OPI or China Glaze between the gel base and top coat, or after the top coat?
TIA
Laurie

Barefootgirl wrote:
Gelish is great. I use their base and top coats, along with the heavy duty curing light sold at Sallys - and my usual OPI and China Glaze polishes...my manis last about 10 days this way.

BFG
Llubitz

Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
I have had gel manicures at four different salons and had different results at each one. The best one has lasted over two weeks without any chips. The last manicurist told me the best way to remove the previous gel color was to soak off with acetone instead of having it removed with a buffing like machine. She said the buffing machine wears down the nail. Makes sense. I have never had nails monger then the end of my finger and now they are long enough to file back. Learning to type with nails is different. I am a raving fan of gel nails. Now I need to pay attention to the Brands and find my favorite. I travel a lot and get my nails done on the road.
nailstech

Wed May 23, 2012 8:20 am      Reply with quote
-I've been doing for alot of my clients. they 90% of them loved it. but some of them just do not understand how it worked don't matter how much i explained to them.
-One of them said it last for over 1 month. which is greatful. but she said she didn't like it because its don't come off. no matter what she tried. duh bc its the gel, you have to soak with polish remover for atleast 10 minutes. i cant believe and understand those people like that.
-One is she don't take care of it at all. and when its messed up and come off. she said she hate the gelish.
-Who ever doing nails please tell me some trick or better explaination. bc i gave up with those people that look at one things but not the whole picture.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |